PDA

View Full Version : aliasing

Fibber
October 4th, 2008, 10:58
Hello;
I know that before the crash that there was a post here concerning Sound aliasing. I have tried to find it with negative results. I believe that I have the concept but just wanted to review before I plunge. Anyone know the link? It will work from the central folder across all theaters, right? (PTO, ETO, Korea)

Jaxon
October 4th, 2008, 11:02
Browse to my tips site!
(link is in my signature)

OBIO
October 4th, 2008, 12:47
I have a folder called MOTOR on C drive. Inside that folder I have all of my individual sound packs, each with a distinct name. Some are named for the plane they go to, some are named according to the motor they represent: F4F, F6F, DB601, Hurricane, 1Jet, 2Jet, etc.

Then in the sound folder of each airplane, I alias the sound to a sound pack inside that folder. MY Sound.cfg for the F$F looks like this:

[FLTSIM]
ALIAS=C:\MOTOR\F4F

It takes time to set up, as you have to alias the sound for each and every plane you have installed (I have around 700 installed planes at the moment) but sure does save HD space.

OBIO

Fibber
October 5th, 2008, 11:03
Trying to get a wrap around this so bear with me guys while I try to figure out the easiest.

Obio;
Do you mean that you could put a folder say "Motor" ( so as not to confuse game with simiular name of Sounds as found in main folder) in the CFS2 main folder? ie; Microsoft games\cfs2\motor\(eto),(pto),(korea) \aircraft\plane and then alias each individual plane in each theater to that folder 'Motor" (or Panel) in the cfs2 main folder?

Jaxon;
On your webpage when you refer to ..\ as meaning one step above, and given the above example would a plane aliasing look like ..\(aircraft folder) ..\(theater folder) \motor folder\desired sound effects (Me 109..., etc)?

Could all sounds be put in the main CFS2 Sounds folder and referenced to that? Always wondered about that part.

Please bear with me as I stated I am trying to get a wrap around this and figure out a way to reduce the individual engine sounds of each airplane into one common folder.

Trying to do this while combating a company that totally screwed up a boiler installation in my house. But that is waaaaaaaaay O.T. and a long story in itself.

Jaxon
October 5th, 2008, 13:20
Fibber, I guess you understood it.
However, I want to add another comment (hoping not to confuse you again :costumes:)

I understand you have different installs of CFS2, they are all on one drive and have an own ROOT-Folder of the install, like this:

CFS2-ETO
CFS2-MTO
CFS2-PTO
CFS2-Vietnam

for example.
Then it makes sense to put your motorfiles just beside them in an own folder, say

CFS2-Shared_Files or CFS2_MOTORSOUNDS or whatever.

CFS2-ETO
CFS2-MTO
CFS2-PTO
CFS2-Vietnam
CFS2_MOTORSOUNDS

then you need to link like this
sound=\..\..\..\..\CFS2_MOTORSOUNDS\Bf 109

The linking is just the same way, Obios trick does. Only it starts earlier, so the game doesn`t even look after the extra file in the sound folder - only to read there to look somewhere else.
Also, I find it very handy, to have all information in one file. I look into the aircraft.cfgs quite often.

Corsair Freak
October 5th, 2008, 14:17
I live this tip Jaxon. It makes things so much tidier to have all of my different CFS2 engine sounds, and FS9 sounds all in one place. :applause:

CF

OBIO
October 5th, 2008, 14:23
I have my sound packs completely outside of CFS2 installs. Directly on C: drive in their own folder, MOTOR. I had thought about putting it withing one of the installs, but that made for long aliasing lines, and I wanted it to be short, sweet and fast to type. By putting the MOTOR folder directly on C drive, aliasing to it is easy:

alias=c:\motor\109

I had not thought about Jaxon's method, which would totally eliminate the sound folder in each aircraft folder as the sound would be aliased directly via the Aircraft config file, like this.

[fltsim.0]
title=A6M2 Zero
sim=A6M2_Zero
model=
panel=
sound=c:\motor\zero
texture=
KB_checklists=a6m2_zero_check

OBIO

Jaxon
October 5th, 2008, 14:32
Obio, you are right. That does work as well.
One is a relative link (from this position to another), and yours is a direct-link (look at).
I choosed my way, because I have the installs on another drive and wasn`t sure, if they stay there.
Also, if moving to another PC, it maybe would be another drive as well - thus meaning to edit all files again.

I have even dreamed of an internet based "pool" for stuff like that, and tried it with a HTTP-adress.
I had uploaded my folder of American weapons (I keep them separated) and linked there in the scenery.cfg
- but it did not work

Maybe it is possible, and only I made something wrong, so I show you what I tried:

[Area.018]
Title=Waffen WW2 Usa
Local=http://www.michael-reimer.com/CFS2/SCENEDB/WEAPONs/WW2/USA
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Remote=
Layer=20

(In this folder were the normal subfolders scenery and texture)
Note: There are no files anymore, so you can`t try it

BTW: what can be done with that remote line?

Jaxon
October 5th, 2008, 14:46
Another tip:
I went on from sorting the sounds after aircraft types to sorting them after
type of engine:

Piston
-Inline
-Radial
-Rotary
-Turboprop
Jet
Rocket

and inside these folders after manufacturer and engine types.
The reason is: One will probably never have sounds for all aircraft.
This way you can easily find out the most similar soundset.

While setting this system up, I btw learned alot about the engines used in WW2.

Corsair Freak
October 5th, 2008, 14:54
How many sounds do you have? :costumes: it's like a library!

OBIO
October 5th, 2008, 16:11
The Remote line: I have not really done much study on that line's usage, but I do know that scenery files can be "aliased" using it. I made a few airstrips using FSSC and for some reason when I exported them, they did not go into the SCENERY folder of my install but ended up in their own folder. They still worked within the sim, and when I took a look at the Scenery.cfg file, I noticed the the Remote line looked something like this:

Remote=C:\Scenery\Wooster Airport

Know, that got me to thinking, that if you have scenery that you want to use in a couple of installs, you could place that scenery in a dedicated folder outside of the installs and use the remote line to have each install look for the scenery in that remote folder.

Also, the possibility is there to have a shared weapons folder, so instead of having to have Dbolt's enhanced weapons installed in 4 different sims, maybe it would be possible to have a central install of those weapons and alias the installs via the Remote line to use that common weapons pack. This is something that I have only thought about, but not tried.

And, this also could be used for Gauges, Effects.

I will have to do some research and tinkering to see what all can be done with the remote line.

OBIO

Jaxon
October 5th, 2008, 16:23
You can use scenery in a couple of games just with the normal setup.
When you open the scenery menu in the game, you can browse to any location you want.
(But this way, I have the entry in the local-line, not the remote one. - So I am still cuirous what the idea of that line is)

This is most recommended with mesh scenery, if you want to install the same theatre, but in different times (ETO during SCW, 1940 (BoB), 1944-45.
Actually I have all my scenery on another drive.

And it is possible with all files in the scenery.cfg
Only ships and aircraft need to be in each of your installs
Oh, and if you plan to use the same objects, this is possible, too - but then you still need to have the *.dp files in each game (but these aren`t too large)

Kofschip
October 5th, 2008, 17:02
Jaxon and Obio, you guys are teaching this old suicidal penguin (:d) a whole bunch of new tricks. After a complete rebuild of my computer I am now starting the multiple installs of CFS2. This really gives me the opportunity to plan a very orderly install of a bunch of CFS2s. Again, thanks. :applause::applause:

OBIO
October 5th, 2008, 17:40
kofschip

Somedays I'm a teacher, other days I'm a student. That is what makes this such an amazing site....we all have the opportunity to learn something new almost daily, and we all have the opportunity to teach something new almost daily. And it is this dynamic nature of this forum that has allowed CFS2 to go from a pretty anemic boxed sim to the most amazing, most diverse, most flexible sim of all time. I thought it was amazing when I could fly the Wright Brother's first plane and the F-22 Raptor in the same sim....think how much more amazing it is to add Civil War ships and submersible WW2 subs to the mix.

OBIO

Kofschip
October 5th, 2008, 17:51
OBIO, this is why I have basically dropped FS2004, BoB II, IL2 1946 and Lock On. And I did not even attempt FSX. CFS2 is extremely versatile with its open architecture. I have to admit though that I do sneak over to CFS3 MAW regularly and am getting ready to try my hand at CFS3 ETO.:d:d

I also have to confess that I am a great admirer of Payakan/Peperez rare aircraft. This drives me straight to CFS2 and FS2002.........

K

Fibber
October 5th, 2008, 18:32
If I am reading, and comprehending right,
Obio;
has a completely different location EXTERNALLY of the main CFS2folder named Sounds, Panel.. ie; C:\ (all programs)..., Motor, panel, etc...\Microsoft games\CFS2\theater\

Jaxon;
is internal of the main folder of CFS2 but outside of the individual theaters. ie; Microsoft games\CfS2\ Motor\(theater)\aircraft.... Inside that folder (say Motor) are files for BF109, Mercedes, Allison, etc.
When aliasing with three (3 ) theaters of ETO, PTO, Korea in that order would be ( Europe) sound=\..\..\CFS2_motorsounds\sub file sought, and PTO would besound\..\..\..\CFS2_motorsounds.....
I am going on a limb here, and ask if it is possible that, as stated, Guages, Scenery etc. be aliased. I think it was touched on but not sure how it would be done. That would REALLY save a lot of room.
I like the idea of composites. ie; weapons folder to centralize DBolts, German, Brit, Japanese weapons and aliased.

May sound like I am slightly dense but before I destroy anything :icon_lol: I would like to make sure I am in the ballpark.

Thanks in advance:wavey:

OBIO
October 5th, 2008, 19:07
Currently, the I have only my sound packs located outside of my CFS2 installs. I have the MOTOR file directly on C: drive (C:\motor). You can do this with your panels as well....say you have the Over Hauled P-38 in three installs (PTO, ETO, and CBI for example) and since all three use the same panel, you could set up a folder named PANELS on your drive, copy the P-38 Panel folder into it, name it OHP38, then direct the planes to search for that panel set up by altering your Aircraft.cfg line like this:

[fltsim.0]
title=P-38F Lightning
sim=P38F_Lightning
model=
panel=c:\Panels\OHP38
sound=
texture=
KB_checklists=p38f_lightning_check

By using a shared panel set for the overhauled P-38, you could save a considerable amount of HD space.

This could be used for any aircraft that you use in various installs. The P-39 was used in the PTO, ETO, MTO, CBI, Easter Front...so if you have the over hauled P-39 in each of those installs, you can save HD space by putting the panel for the plane in a common folder and having the sim find the panel there. Let's say that the P-39 panel folder is 1 meg in size, you could save up to 4 meg of HD space. Not a lot, but if you can do this with 20 aircraft and save an average of 3 meg per plane...that adds up to 60meg...60meg is still not a lot, BUT the fewer files there are on a HD, the more open space there is on the HD, the faster that HD is able to access information and get it into the processor and memory...thus resulting in increased smoothness in the sim.

I have not used this approach as I only have two installs at the present time...a PROP Test install and a JET Test install...mainly installs where I drop my planes and spend far more time working on them then I do flying them. But, at some point, I will begin setting up various theater installs and will be using this approach to save a lot of HD space.

Would it be possible to do the same thing with the MODEL folders? I don't know, but I think it might work. Let's look at the P-39 again. It's in your PTO, MTO, ETO, Eastern Front, CBI installs...and it uses the same MDL file. It might be possible to take the MODEL folder, place it inside a designated folder MODELS and direct the sim to look in that folder for the MDL file

[fltsim.0]
title=P-38F Lightning
sim=P38F_Lightning
model=C:\MODELS\OHP39
panel=
sound=
texture=
KB_checklists=p38f_lightning_check

The OH P-39 MODEL folder is 1.32meg. Five of those on your HD will take up 6.6 meg. By using a shared MODEL folder, you save 5.28 meg....again, not a huge savings in HD space, but if you do this with 20 aircraft and save 5 meg per aircraft..that adds up to 100meg of HD space...which means faster read times and smoother sim performance.

By far, the biggest HD space savings is to be found by setting up and using a common Sound Packs folder. With the average sound pack being around 6 megs, if you can have the P-39 sound pack on your HD 1 time instead of 5 times, you are saving 24megs of HD space. If you get a 20 meg saving per plane and have 20 planes with that kind of space savings, then you are looking at 400 megs of space that is now free on your HD.

OBIO

Jaxon
October 6th, 2008, 00:21
@ Corsair freak - It IS a library ;-)
@ kofship & OBIO - I am student all the time, but what I know already I can give to others.
---
Back to linking
It is possible for the model folder too - but:

When CFS2 loads up ONE model and should wrap different textures around it, it is like a parcel - the one wrapped around last is to see.

I do keep my models sorted this way, because it helps me when tinkering with CFS2 - but when I want to do mission and need, say a bunch of Corsairs in different optics - each plane needs its own model - or they look all the same.
This is the drawback of a too tidy install.

In my case, I just copy the model folder manually back temporary and mark that link inactive, like this:

[fltsim.0]
title=USN_F4U-1D_CORSAIR
sim=Chance-Vought F4U-1D CORSAIR (CFS2)
model=
;\..\..\_Model\WW II\USA\F4U-1D CORSAIR (CFS2)
panel=\..\..\_Panel\WW II\USA\F4U CORSAIR\1\D (CFS2)
sound=\..\..\_Sound\Piston\Radial\Pratt & Whitney\R-2800 DOUBLE WASP 18\18W (2450 hp) [F4U]
texture=(VF-84)_(183)_(Okinawa, February 1945)
KB_checklists=Chance-Vought F4U-1D CORSAIR (CFS2)_check

Note: Semicolon ; and double slash // have the same effect - they turn the line into a comment line not used.

Jaxon
October 6th, 2008, 00:46
@ Fibber:
You do understand right, and I think you got it.

The interesting point is: I understand you have a MAIN install CFS2
and inside other theatre-installs, while in my example I placed them next to the Main CFS2 (In this case, there is no main CFS2 - all games have the same needed files inside, and also link to the ones, that are shared

Whatever, the linking process is the same, and I think your described version should work.

The good thing is, you can copy a sound folder and move it to whatever place and try it out without removing the old folder until you are sure it works.

When I tinker in the bowles of CFS2, I make a copy of entire folder, say SHIPS and rename it:

SHIPS
SHIPS_1

So I can fiddle with the first one, and when messed up, I delete it and rename the copy back to SHIPS

Fibber
October 6th, 2008, 05:30
Jaxon,
Thanks for the clarification. The only thing that trips me up is the amount of ..\ 's :icon_lol: Have to lay iy out and count backwards ( or forwards depending on your view). Will have to try once I get the game resorted after a small catastrophe concerning my planes. (lost ALL .cfg files in all theaters)