PDA

View Full Version : AI and Carrier Ops

codeseven
March 1st, 2013, 09:14
I had added this question to the end of a post I had made and just realized I probably should have made it a separate post......

Did the age old 'AI landing on an aircraft carrier' problem ever get figured out?

Years ago I could get AI to start, takeoff and land on a carrier, even moving carriers, but I could never get them to stop after landing before rolling off the deck. I know it's possible because I saw it with my own eyes. I was messing around one day with the Mission Builder and had AI taking off and landing on a static carrier. I would mess around with different aircraft settings and try again to get the AI to land and stop. I had spent several hours watching plane after plane land, slow down (never saw an AI catch a wire either) to almost a stop and then suddenly turn (usually to the right or starboard) and just roll off the deck near the bow. Then out of the blue a stock Wildcat as AI took off, landed, slowed down and stopped! what?!! I tried to get it to do it again but it never would :( Just a fluke I guess.

Anyway, after all these years 'if' it could be done, and repeated, I would think one of the guru's would have figured it by now. I always thought if I knew how to get the AI to have a working tail hook I might have been able to get them to catch a wire. Just thought I'd ask while I was here, thanks.

Codeseven

Allen
March 1st, 2013, 21:54
I don't think so. I never saw a thing about it.

Ian Astill
March 2nd, 2013, 03:03
I actually had Baldy's Barracudas landing on a carrier at one point. Or trying to, they landed on the water next to it. Very odd, did the usual approach and then on touchdown sped up and rolled off to one side.

codeseven
March 2nd, 2013, 07:51
I actually had Baldy's Barracudas landing on a carrier at one point. Or trying to, they landed on the water next to it. Very odd, did the usual approach and then on touchdown sped up and rolled off to one side.

Sounds familiar Ian. If I remember right they would usually do just that, suddenly speed up and veer off to the right and over the side. I had the carriers programmed to speed up and veer off to the right and I could 'almost' catch'em before they rolled off the deck.

Is it possible for the model builders to add in a 'functional' tail hook on AI? It wouldn't matter if it could be seen or not, just so it would actually catch a wire. I remember adding in the tail hook values but that does not work on AI aircraft.

Collin
March 6th, 2013, 07:09
I don't think the AI have any brakes.

C:ernae:

oldwheat
March 6th, 2013, 09:21
Or working arrestor hooks, I'll wager.

codeseven
March 6th, 2013, 11:30
I would say definitely no working tail hook but I'm not so sure about the brakes. I've watched AI make ground landings and they seem (for the most part) to stop. But thats after that weird 'preprogrammed' veer to one side. I think it must be hard coded in.