PDA

View Full Version : CV-41 USS Midway, FSX(A)

lazarus
February 27th, 2013, 02:01

Yes, Emails have been sent, and kicked back by the bots, so if any of the old Virtual Navy folks are around, please contact me.
Its basic, not bad, though, for an elderly CFS2.The textures need going over, and I'm working on fixing the missing bits of top hamper. 4 cables, 2 bow and one waist cat, good frames.
Go get out on yankee station.

Butcherbird17
February 27th, 2013, 05:37
Thanks lazarus. Hope that you will also do the CG's (ww2) Essex carriers as they are very good models.

Joe

expat
February 27th, 2013, 23:25
Hey, thanks! This is a keeper. Maybe some work needed on the textures but it fills a BIG gap between the WWII and nuclear CV's in FSX.

Did a whole lot of traps in the Virtavia A-4 last night on Yankee Station. Like the audio and other effects.

lazarus
February 28th, 2013, 00:38
Glad you're enjoying her. Hold on to your hats, I was going through the CFS2 library and found overhauled Coral Sea. Unfortunatley, the animations were scrambled, and I had parts everywhere. Or, I did.

I'm still learning what MDLX will do. I just found out how to repair scrambled and jammed animations. Too early to tell if I can make them work, but I can unscramble them enough to make the model whole-IE: no parts all over the place. I must redouble by efforts to track down the VN boys. Is Mr Baker from the VN still active here.

warchild
February 28th, 2013, 01:23
hey Lazarus.. You can find some of the old VUSN guys hanging out over at http://navalengagement.net/world/ . At least one more is at http://fsx-miramar.webs.com/.
Hope that helps..
Pam

Paul Domingue
March 1st, 2013, 09:36
You can also find some ex-VUSN people on http://flynavyva.org/ there are usualy a handful on their TS server in the evening.

Essex
March 1st, 2013, 12:30
I've been thinking about the problem of what happens if Lazarus or whoever can't make contact with the developers of a model.
I've found these small utilities
http://sites.inka.de/tesla/others.html#bsdiff
They seem simple to use and allow you to make and apply patch files.
Once the new model file has been finished, simply make a patch that can make the new model from the old one.
The patch should only contain new data and therefore be small.
I'm happy to try this out on the Midway mdl to see how small the patch file would be. I just need to know the exact original file used by Lazarus and where to get it.

The patch could be packaged with new textures and effects etc and a link to the original files.

BTW Lazarus thanks for being so prolific.

crashaz
March 2nd, 2013, 20:45
Hey the old girl looks pretty good. What can I do for you Lazarus?

lazarus
March 2nd, 2013, 22:14
Hi Crashaz. Thanks for popping in. Haven't been having much luck tracking folks down via readme files- no worries; we've all had unpteen email accounts by now, and I'm still conecting handles with people. I figured a post here would reach someone sooner or latter. I guess you've noticed that some recent developments have allowed conversion of CFS2 objects to FSX, and activation of hard decks and acceleration features for carriers through assigning attachpoints and effects points. The prospect of intoducing to this sim that delicious library of ships that FSX would probably never see otherwise is irresistable, and I know I cannot do better starting from scratch. If the Virtual Navy would consent to allowing your ships to be converted and O/H'd for FSX for the SOH library, I'd be rightly pleased to do the scut work and put the VN into the FSX world. The Midway trial proved its not a fluke, and the old girl looks does look pretty good in sim, deserving of an overhaul. I am also combing the back pages of file libraries for some of the files missing after the server crash, and/or scenery BGLs that have ended up in other files. Found the static SCB-27C Lexington,for instance deep in the simviation server, and she has converted quite nicely as well. Overhauled Coaral Sea is giving the exporter fits, but if I can debug what ever the glitch is, that is an astounding model that I think every one with a Skyhawk, or who ran CFS2 before defection to the dark side would love to see. I'm also trying to locate USS Long Beach's file- its missing in the library. If thats all right with you, (crosses fingers)I'll continue on. If not, I shall desist. Thanks Essex. Though I'd say 'half-@$$&#' rather than'prolific', its better than no @$$&#:icon_lol:
Cheers!