PDA

View Full Version : C-117/R4D-8 WIP?

TARPSBird
February 24th, 2013, 23:01
I seem to recall a thread from 2-3 weeks ago with a couple "teaser" screenshots of a FSX C-117/R4D-8 work-in-progress from somebody. I'm thinking Jens B. Kristensen or (more likely) Manfred Jahn. Anybody else see this, or do I need to brush up on my aircraft recognition? :icon_lol:

stansdds
February 25th, 2013, 01:56
It's Manfred Jahn's work, but I have not seen any recent updates.

johndetrick
February 25th, 2013, 02:43
I'm working with Manfred Jahn on this project. The VC is now in work, the aircraft is still progressing, but it will be awhile yet. No date as of yet. You know how these things go.

TARPSBird
February 25th, 2013, 10:28
Roger that, johndetrick and stansdds. :salute: Just making sure I didn't have a "senior moment" while browsing the threads. That will be a great plane for new paint jobs.

johndetrick
February 28th, 2013, 14:45
Here's a work in progress, it's a C-117D that I have a history with. It's one of two that I worked on in '78 when I was a young hard charging Marine assigned to H&MS-14 MCAS Cherry Pt.

stansdds
March 1st, 2013, 02:45
Looking good!

johndetrick
March 1st, 2013, 03:39
revised textures for the HMS 14 aircraft

FSX68
March 1st, 2013, 04:37
Here's a work in progress, it's a C-117D that I have a history with. It's one of two that I worked on in '78 when I was a young hard charging Marine assigned to H&MS-14 MCAS Cherry Pt.

I rode on one of those when I was a squid. I was flying space "A". If I remember the seats were facing backwards. I know all the VRC C-9's do/did and the $18's did as well.

skyhawka4m
March 1st, 2013, 05:54
really looking forward to this one......nice work on the textures!

johndetrick
March 1st, 2013, 12:37
The seats faced forward on these, and on the two USMC C-9B's I worked on.

stansdds
March 2nd, 2013, 05:27
This is looking nice and I wouldn't might seeing a freight dog version of the C-117D.

mohawk3
March 2nd, 2013, 05:51
Beautiful bird!

Cirrus N210MS
March 2nd, 2013, 06:38
looking forward to this amazing looking aircraft

FSX68
March 2nd, 2013, 07:48
The seats faced forward on these, and on the two USMC C-9B's I worked on.

Nice looking plane John,

BTW I remember way back in the day after completing another Nam cruise on a 27C (Hancock/Bonnie Dick) and pulled into Alameda, I boarded a waiting Navy C-9 or a Navy R4Y for a ride
to NAS Miramar. What struck my mind upon boarding was having to strap into an aft facing seat.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Convair_R4Y-1_in_flight_in_late_1950s.jpeg

Apparently there was a reason for this, I have provide a link that explains some the the logic in the seats facing aft:

http://www.airspacemag.com/need-to-know/Need-to-Know-Aft-Facing-Seats.html

I also remember that E-6 and below could not board a Navy C-9 in dungarees (had to be in dress blues). Guess they didn't want anyone with grimy dungs to
dirty their clean seats. That's understandable.

Haven't been on a military transort in many decades so I don't know if they (Navy) went to seats facing forward like most other passenger planes do.

johndetrick
March 2nd, 2013, 10:45
The USN C-9's came on board in 1972, the R4Y was the C-131. Which one did you ride in? I can tell you from personal experience the USMC C-9B's had normal fwd facing seats. The C-117D when you think about it, if you had to board and sit in a taildrager with aft facing seats you would be hanging in the straps.

Here's the production list:

http://www.planespotters.net/Production_List/search.php?manufacturer=McDonnell-Douglas&subtype=DC-9-30&fleet=6689&fleetStatus=all

Earliest C-9B is May of 73

FSX68
March 2nd, 2013, 18:18
The USN C-9's came on board in 1972, the R4Y was the C-131. Which one did you ride in? I can tell you from personal experience the USMC C-9B's had normal fwd facing seats. The C-117D when you think about it, if you had to board and sit in a taildrager with aft facing seats you would be hanging in the straps.

Here's the production list:

http://www.planespotters.net/Production_List/search.php?manufacturer=McDonnell-Douglas&subtype=DC-9-30&fleet=6689&fleetStatus=all

Earliest C-9B is May of 73

I rode in both C9 and R4y. It was many moons ago that I rode in the Marine C117 out at Cherry Point. So the seats in that plane may not of been rear facing
however the other Navy transport planes I rode in were.

As an aside, the USAF use to operate their C9A's "nightingale" Medivacs out of Scott AFB and would make
circuitous routes to NAS Memphis (Milllington) then down to Keesler AFB then on to Portsmouth. My wife flew in one that left out of NAS Memphis (KNQA) to
Keesler AFB then to the final destination hospital at Portsmouth. This was back around '93, She told me that the seats in the Nightingales also were rear
facing and was told this was safer in case of a crash.

Anyway a link to the older C9A Medivacs: Please note the features listed.

http://amcmuseum.org/exhibits_and_planes/c-9.php

:salute:

TARPSBird
March 3rd, 2013, 00:14
John, very nice paint job. :salute:

johndetrick
March 6th, 2013, 03:01
The way I remember it when I went to C9 school at Scott afb, the reason why the usn/USMC birds did not have rear facing seats was that they were basically civilian aircraft and the c9a was not.