PDA

View Full Version : Tri-State Warbird Museum

Curtis P40
February 23rd, 2013, 17:24

If your ever close to Batavia, Ohio ( Cincinnati ) this little gem is worth checking out. I was here about two years ago and this P-40m looked in just about the same shape. The rest of the story... this aircraft was completed and was making it's six test hop when the oil cooler malfunctioned, creating the piston/engine block combo you see in the first picture. The pilot made a wheels down dead stick landing. With little runway left and too much speed, he intensionally ground looped. Collapsed one of the mains and still slide thur the perimeter fence. With four mechanics working on her thur the week shes on the fast track to being rebuilt. All their "completed" aircraft are air worthy.

Jagdflieger
February 23rd, 2013, 21:32
If I ever get to Ohio again, I'll stop there as well as the aviation museum at Port Clinton that was recently featured in a thread here.

Curtis P40
February 24th, 2013, 06:33
A few more:
Doesn't this look like a Corsair ? An old TV star, from the show Baa Baa Black Sheep. This was the A/C that always was getting shot down, as it had a smoke generator and oil tank in one of the wings.
FW 190 or as the staff said a "loosely" based reproduction of one.

CWOJackson
February 24th, 2013, 07:20
Looks like a road trip to Cincy in the near future! We've been intending a trip to Jungle Jim's anyway.

Curtis P40
February 24th, 2013, 07:45
Went to Jungle Jim's the same week-in. Defiantly a different shopping experience. I couldn't shop there too much as there is just too many choices ;)

CWOJackson
February 24th, 2013, 09:47
Went to Jungle Jim's the same week-in. Defiantly a different shopping experience. I couldn't shop there too much as there is just too many choices ;)

I know what you mean. Just the beer and hot sauce departments can take a while to peruse properly. On the other hand, my wife's developed her own solution to the choice problem; buy some of everything.

I've already mentioned the museum to her and right away she said, "Time for a Jungle Jim's run."