PDA

View Full Version : Costa Rica.....in my future still.

Navy Chief
February 21st, 2013, 05:18
I am steadily learning about Costa Rica, and making plans to move there. Although the cost of living has risen over the past few years, it is still MUCH cheaper to live there than the U.S.

Unless I am mistaken, I may be the first SOH member living there? This year, the visit will be brief, just two weeks. But by mid 2014, we plan to move there.

NC

glh
February 21st, 2013, 06:42
I am steadily learning about Costa Rica, and making plans to move there. Although the cost of living has risen over the past few years, it is still MUCH cheaper to live there than the U.S.

Unless I am mistaken, I may be the first SOH member living there? This year, the visit will be brief, just two weeks. But by mid 2014, we plan to move there.

NC

Just FYI: http://www.therealcostarica.com/

Navy Chief
February 21st, 2013, 06:52
Just FYI: http://www.therealcostarica.com/

Oh yes, I know of that site, and have visited it. Plus I have friends who've lived there for several years now....

NC

mgchrist5
February 21st, 2013, 09:34
Good luck, Chief. It's hard not to appreciate the slower and more relaxed pace of tropical living. A lower cost of living sounds very appealing, too. The way the US economy is going, it may be a safer bet there anyway.

Much too warm for me, though - I'm one of those weirdos who actually like the cold weather. I'd be miserable there! :icon_lol:

Navy Chief
February 21st, 2013, 09:38
Good luck, Chief. It's hard not to appreciate the slower and more relaxed pace of tropical living. A lower cost of living sounds very appealing, too. The way the US economy is going, it may be a safer bet there anyway.

Much too warm for me, though - I'm one of those weirdos who actually like the cold weather. I'd be miserable there! :icon_lol:

The economy is the main reason I am determined to move. I have to think of my own financial survival. Living here in the U.S., and barely able to scrape by, month to month. Or move to CR, and live comfortably. I choose the latter. Depending on the area of CR, the weather is quite pleasant. I will be living near Atenas. Mountainous region. Cool at night, warm during the day.

NC

Sascha66
February 21st, 2013, 15:57
Same in Europe - lots of people move down south after retirement. The weather is nice, food and vino are nice, people are nice ...

Something is going very wrong in the so-called first-world countries.

More and more people just manage to scrape by after a lifetime of work while more just can't and have to take hand-outs:pop4:

Navy Chief
February 21st, 2013, 16:06
Same in Europe - lots of people move down south after retirement. The weather is nice, food and vino are nice, people are nice ...

Something is going very wrong in the so-called first-world countries.

More and more people just manage to scrape by after a lifetime of work while more just can't and have to take hand-outs:pop4:

Very correct. And I refuse to take handouts. NC

Naismith
February 21st, 2013, 16:14
Apparantly Belize is one to consider. My S-I-L father has just bought some land there. He's a builder/developer and also plans on moving full time when he retires. He claims it is quite attractive financially and not the bug infested swampland I tease him about.

Navy Chief
February 21st, 2013, 16:46
Apparantly Belize is one to consider. My S-I-L father has just bought some land there. He's a builder/developer and also plans on moving full time when he retires. He claims it is quite attractive financially and not the bug infested swampland I tease him about.

I also considered Panama, but it's just too blazing hot for me.

Prowler1111
February 21st, 2013, 19:57
I live in Manta, Ecuador, and you can see my house in this pic, and no i wont tell you which one it is

http://www.latinfrontiers.com/images/stories/Playa%20Murcielago%20Manta.jpg

Super gas is 2.25 the gallon, local currency is US dollar
Crime? well, if you want to look for trouble you´ll find it, other wise, nothing out of the ordinary unless you are into out of the ordinary stuff (like illegal stuff)
Currently i have a former USMC pilot as a neighbor, and also know a former USN submarine captain (yeah they got the pics to prove it), not to mention a female model as a neighbor as well (Chief knows what i´m talking about)..

Best regards
Prowler

stansdds
February 22nd, 2013, 03:11
I'm not ready to retire, I'm not in a position where I can even think about retirement, but my wife is (life time federal employee). We've considered living outside of the U.S. and my skills might be welcomed in another country.

Toastmaker
February 23rd, 2013, 06:25
Chief, I lived in Mexico (Caribbean side) for 11 years and will probably return when I fully retire. Costa Rica is also a good choice but I must tell you that the most important asset you will ever have living in a Latin American country will be a fluency in Spanish.

It will set you apart from many foreign residents in the eyes of the locals for some very valid reasons. Failure or refusal to learn the language is absolutely seen as an arrogant and insulting characteristic. Soo many doors and advantages will become avaialble to you with Spanish usage that it will radically change your level of contentment there.

The web site noted in these posts is a great source of true information and the advice there is valid and important but in my opinion, language skills are the most critical. In my experience, any foreigner utilizing new and improving Spanish language skills will be met with enthusiastic responses and assistance in the learning curve.

Best of luck to you. It will be an adventure and an experience of considerable pleasure. And. . . you will never, ever, have to touch a snow shovel again !!

:salute:

Navy Chief
February 23rd, 2013, 11:11
Chief, I lived in Mexico (Caribbean side) for 11 years and will probably return when I fully retire. Costa Rica is also a good choice but I must tell you that the most important asset you will ever have living in a Latin American country will be a fluency in Spanish.

I got that covered. My fiancée (will be my wife by the time we move there) is a teacher. She'll learn Spanish and become my interpreter.:applause:... NC