PDA

View Full Version : Slight Jagged Edges appearing.....

T6flyer
February 21st, 2013, 03:03
Hello,

Everything has been fine on my system (Intel I5-3570@4.5ghz, 8 gig RAM and a Nvidia Geforce GTX56oTi) for sometime now, but this week or rather yesterday, I've altered something along the way and its not quite right. I bought the GeeBee and then the Aerosoft PBY - which I always wanted and then loaded up my UT2 which arrived in the post. I'm not saying that its any of these packages, I think I've altered something with my card settings as am getting these jagged images.

Its most noticeable in the VC on the edges of radios, door trims and placards. The image is almost there, but the edges have very slight jagged surfaces. Outside it seems to be straight lines on paint schemes, runway markings and some buildings.

I'm using the Nvidia control panel to change my settings. So can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong and please tell me how to rectify the problems. For my FSX settings, I have always used the Kosta guide and followed this and had no problems at all and now am getting this.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions. As I'm away with work from later today to Sunday, I'm afraid I won't be in a position to reply until then.

Cheers,

Martin

full
February 21st, 2013, 03:12
Hey Martin, are you using DX10 ? if so try DX9

alehead
February 21st, 2013, 03:19
What have you changed? Anti-aliasing settings?

A

Andrew Entwistle

T6flyer
February 21st, 2013, 03:37
What have you changed? Anti-aliasing settings?

A

Andrew Entwistle

The problem is, that I don't know what I have changed! :( I've gone back to default settings and tried almost all combinations, but still get this jagged look to the images. I've also tried a saved cfg file and also returned to a previous install, but to no avail. Hopefully its something very simple (I like things like that!). Am running in DX9.

Martin

Dimus
February 21st, 2013, 04:04
Check your Antialising setting in the Nvidia control panel or Nvidia inspector if you use it for the FSX profile. I have a setting of 8xS there that kills the jaggies. If you set this like that then Antialising should be unchecked in the FSX settings.

peter12213
February 21st, 2013, 04:11
I also have te 560Ti and had jaggies appear yesterday, coincidence? Anyway you need to open Nvidia inspector and reset the anti analysing setting again, there has been a recent driver update last week I think, but it is unusual that it happened to us both.

T6flyer
February 21st, 2013, 04:47
I also have te 560Ti and had jaggies appear yesterday, coincidence? Anyway you need to open Nvidia inspector and reset the anti analysing setting again, there has been a recent driver update last week I think, but it is unusual that it happened to us both.

Very weird indeed. Thanks to everyone for their comments so far. So I can safely (hopefully) say its down to the AA settings? Will have a try next time am back home and hopefully it should do the trick. As only using Nvidia Control Panel at the moment, do I need to replace this with Inspector or can I use both side by side?

Cheers,

Martin

falcon409
February 21st, 2013, 05:23
Any recent NVidia drivers will require "Inspector". Just a note. . .jaggies, almost always says antialiasing. That would be the first place to check/reset. . .then if that doesn't correct the situation move outward from there. There are at least three different Guru settings that most everyone uses. . .each one professing that theirs is the only way to go (more or less) so the choices are yours to make, but each one seems to be an overlap in some areas of the others, so it's personal preference at that point.

T6flyer
February 21st, 2013, 05:35
Cheers for that, so Inspector it is for me. PC is only six months old (Chillblast Fusion Hurricane) and is meant to be configured for FSX, as had Nvidia Inspector installed. But will now try as you say. As to the guru, yes believe that there are others (found one by Nick? just now), but the Kosta one did work for me. Perhaps I should read them all.

Thanks,

Martin

wombat666
February 21st, 2013, 05:42
Check for driver updates if you haven't done so already, there has been a fair bit of activity on that front recently.
:kilroy:

falcon409
February 21st, 2013, 05:44
These are the three I was speaking of:
Nick's: http://www.simforums.com/forums/setting-up-fsx-and-how-to-tune-it_topic29041.html
Kostas: http://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/fsx-software-and-hardware-guide/
Jesus: http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

Reading at least one. . .my personal opinion is that these are sometimes written with higher end video cards in mind (not that they won't work with older cards mind you) and so settings for some of us old card users (I have an NVidia 9600GT and will have it until it dies on me), is somewhat suspect. I have tried tweaks that authors rave about and see no change whatsoever in my performance. . .actually a lot of what I've tried with my setup has been a bust. That's why I mention that these are sometimes geared more toward newer cards/systems than someone running a simple dual core/old card/store bought system. You just have to take these tweaks with a grain of salt and realize that they don't always work as advertised (for your system).

sketchy
February 21st, 2013, 19:28
Hi T6Flyer,
I am afraid I cannot offer any help on your query, however may I ask what scenery you are using in your original images? Those are the best renditions of the Bridges into the Duchy I have ever seen.
Cheers,
Sketchy

T6flyer
February 21st, 2013, 21:49
MANY, MANY THANKS TO EVERYONE!!!!.......It's all back as it should be again. Yes, you all thought it was down to the AA settings and for some reason I had it checked in the sim and who knows what I'd done with the Nvidia software. Installed Inspector and used that, and as instructed above changed the settings and well, I'm so happy. Thanks for all your assistance - so much appreciated.

Just goes to show what a wonderful place SOH is!!!!!

Best wishes,

Martin

As to the Tamar Bridges, I believe they came with the Horizon VFR scenery, but worthy examples are also available via flightsim.com from Nick Ryall. Although for FS2002/4 they should work, as I use his windfarms and TV masts in FSX.