PDA

View Full Version : Killing Lincoln

Eoraptor1
February 18th, 2013, 09:09
Killing Lincoln premiered on NatGeo last night, narrated by Tom Hanks. I know there are Civil War people here. Did anyone see it? Any thoughts?

JAMES

Panther_99FS
February 18th, 2013, 09:11
I saw it - very good!
Just wish I had read the book.....

Eoraptor1
February 18th, 2013, 09:20
I saw it - very good!
Just wish I had read the book.....

I got the book as a Christmas present. I thought it was OK; just kind of dry. IMO, both Manhunt and American Brutus were much better.

JAMES

luckydog
February 18th, 2013, 09:42
....read the book....gave it a 6 out of 10.

brad kaste
February 18th, 2013, 09:43
I'm no Lincoln scholar but the facts from last night's presentation seemed spot on. There's literally a library of Lincoln books out there for one to read. From Carl Sandberg's biography series on the 16th president,...to "Killing Lincoln" by Bill O'Reilly. If you're looking for a book that's short in length, high interest, keeps to the facts for the most part,....and won't come across as another boring history book,....go with the "Killing Lincoln" book. I'd recommend O'Reilly's "Killing Kennedy" as well. However,...a lot of conspiracy scholars have and will pick the Kennedy book apart.
Amen

Eoraptor1
February 18th, 2013, 09:59
I'm no Lincoln scholar but the facts from last night's presentation seemed spot on. There's literally a library of Lincoln books out there for one to read. From Carl Sandberg's biography series on the 16th president,...to "Killing Lincoln" by Bill O'Reilly. If you're looking for a book that's short in length, high interest, keeps to the facts for the most part,....and won't come across as another boring history book,....go with the "Killing Lincoln" book. I'd recommend O'Reilly's "Killing Kennedy" as well. However,...a lot of conspiracy scholars have and will pick the Kennedy book apart.
Amen

Killing Lincoln was co-written with Martin Dugard. I wanted to make sure the co-author (really, I don't know who wrote what, or in what measure) wasn't overlooked. I haven't read Killing Kennedy, but I had that same thought about the conspiracy scholars. BTW: I have a Buffalo Courier Express from when President Kennedy was shot.

JAMES

brad kaste
February 18th, 2013, 10:52
Killing Lincoln was co-written with Martin Dugard. I wanted to make sure the co-author (really, I don't know who wrote what, or in what measure) wasn't overlooked. I haven't read Killing Kennedy, but I had that same thought about the conspiracy scholars. BTW: I have a Buffalo Courier Express from when President Kennedy was shot.

JAMES
Hi James,
Yeah,....some of the critics have panned O'Reilly's 'Killing Kennedy' book. Mainly it's over the sub theme within the book,...was there more than one assassin than Lee Harvey Oswald? Or was it just Oswald as the book infers that took down Kennedy? The single bullet theory. However,....there's tons of bogus theories out there to make your head swim. You can shake a stick at all the conspiracies that wanted JFK killed,...from Castro, the Mob,...or some persons high within the US Government. Take your pick. I don't think we'll ever know for sure. So I say,....sit back,...relax,....grab the "Killing Kennedy" or "Killing Lincoln" book and enjoy your reading time.
However,....listed below are parallel facts between Lincoln and Kennedy that can't be denied:
✦ Lincoln was first elected in 1860, Kennedy in 1960.
✦ Both were assassinated on a Friday, in the presence of their wives.
✦ Their successors were both southerners named Johnson who had served in the Senate.

✦ Andrew Johnson was born in 1808, Lyndon Johnson in 1908.
✦ Lincoln was elected to Congress in 1846, while Kennedy was elected to the House in 1946.
✦ Both men suffered the death of children while in office.
✦ The assassin Booth shot inside a theater and fled into a storage facility, while the assassin Oswald shot from a storage facility and fled into a theater.

beana51
February 18th, 2013, 11:09
From the killing of Julius Caesar ,to Kennedy,the fascination of these stories never ends. So many versions of what happened...conspiracy's are all over the place. It seems each generation gets a different version,as to yet really unknown facts. Often the facts are flavored to suit the current political message of the day ! Often the true cold facts ignored! Of course what we are told should be the truth,but then Another book, another a new film,all acting like the wheel is invented again,and again!...I read them all,From Shakespeare to O' Reilly....It has become a macabre form of entertainment,and a source of making money...Mysteries Sell!!.All this under the guise of seeking the truth...Then Again What Is The Truth?

Eoraptor1
February 18th, 2013, 17:26
From the killing of Julius Caesar ,to Kennedy,the fascination of these stories never ends. So many versions of what happened...conspiracy's are all over the place.

This is one thing I think the show really portrayed correctly. If I have him right, at the time of the assasination, Booth really saw himself as Shakespeare's Marcus Junius Brutus, and thought he'd be hailed as a tyrannicide. He seems to have missed, or mentally erased, the part of the play where Caesar's killer's are NOT hailed as heroes.

JAMES

beana51
February 19th, 2013, 05:35
I guess Booth needed a cause.,and had a role model!..But it seems many Marc Anthony's did him in....A new book out now,Yes its a mystery.It asks Was Cleopatra murdered?..this after two thousand years...It seems the old girl still generates interest and still a vehicle to make a buck. The writer Pat Brown come up with this...

"This is a fascinating and thought-provoking analysis of the life and death of one of history's most remarkable women. For more than 2,000 years, the great pharaoh Cleopatra VII has been portrayed as a failed monarch. Various ancient sources state she tried to end her own life while her nemesis - the Roman General Octavian, later known as August, the first Roman emperor - stormed Alexandria. Now, a completely unique interpretation of history is brought to light in this myth-busting book. In her critically acclaimed TV documentary, "The Mysterious Death of Cleopatra", author Pat Brown challenged the long held myth that Cleopatra committed suicide to avoid humiliation. Using the techniques and methodology of investigative criminal profiling and crime reconstruction, Brown's remarkable findings are revealed against a historical backdrop of mystery, drama, politics, danger, and romance. The result is a thought-provoking analysis of the amazing woman Cleopatra truly was; a fascinating account of attempt to flee Egypt; and the brutal murder that ended her reign as the last Egyptian pharaoh."

Kinda makes sense to me...Any student of the methods of the MAFIA would recognize this.Octavian knew Cleopatra was a hot item.If the Egyptian people new she was murdered? Why they would go "APE"....Drag her in triumph in the streets of Rome?..Not likely,..She would make a "Scene"....Best way was for the Romans to keep the peace was to say..."DA GIRL DID HERSELF IN"...FINI!...I will get this book....All of these ,like "The Murder on the Orient express" are fascinating'..It seems recalling ,relating,explaining,factual history is an inaccurate art form...Only The Dead know fer sure!!

av8erjm
February 19th, 2013, 08:25
So, what really links all the assinations and random shootings together. I know I'll be sent to my room with no dinner for saying it, but it's not the firearm, its the deranged human mind, for lack of a better term, mentally disturbed. Through out history whether it's ancient history or what happened yesterday. It's someone who has a distorted view of what's going on around them. How to we stop that, I don't have an answer myself, but I don't relish being told what I can or can't do or have, for someone else's criminal act. We will return you to regular programming at this time.

beana51
February 19th, 2013, 08:58
Yer correct of course....I have been sent to my room often.More so latley!.And I expect it too happen again!!! The mind is an awesome thing! When applied for evil? its almost unstoppable in its creativity!!Ever since Cain Killed Able. we have been killing one each other..Man is an inventive creature.While bears Lions ,Tigers OH MY!! have built in Murder Stuff..We invent them.....So if my table knife.golf ball,Car, Lawnmower..is used to kill some one?...LETS BAN THEM!..What FOOLS we mortals be!

Eoraptor1
February 19th, 2013, 10:37
I am NOT a ban-all-the-guns-type, but if weaponry doesn't matter at all, our government could save lots of money by arming our troops with sharp sticks. While we're on the subject, my cousin was shot right before Thanksgiving by what he says was a complete stranger. He survived surgery, but is still undergoing physical therapy, so that being said, and in the interest of obeying forum rules, I think my best move here would be to bid this thread adieu. No hate.

Your friend always,

JAMES

beana51
February 19th, 2013, 14:52
Its OK James nothing is more American than a little Hanger Talk..with in reason of Course..However you brought this up.The gun factor!.The Tread was about Murder..HELLO!! and like you I too shared some passing thoughts...What we say or do will not effect a hill of beans here!! A Milli second in cyber space!! This to be Deleted into oblivion!.If I offended you?..Sorry..These days of Political Correctness is a trick this Old Dog has not learnt"..If you want to go to yer room?OK, well I may have to do the same now!! If So, Take a Book with you!!.Stay well,Have fun...CIAO! Vin<label for="rb_iconid_19">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon26.gif</label>

airtj
February 20th, 2013, 10:18
After watching a DVD called Stealing Lincoln's Body, I never knew that Lincoln's body was moved around so often.

http://shop.history.com/detail.php?p=84222&SESSID=d77016ecbe085d9bd7a85dcf4cfb325b&v=history

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funeral_and_burial_of_Abraham_Lincoln