PDA

View Full Version : F4D?

b52bob
February 16th, 2013, 17:24
Does anyone have the Vitavia ford? Says fsx native. This is one of my all time favorite naval aircraft.
On sale at PC Aviator for $11 and change. worth it?

Thanks
bob

glh
February 16th, 2013, 17:29
Does anyone have the Vitavia ford? Says fsx native. This is one of my all time favorite naval aircraft.
On sale at PC Aviator for $11 and change. worth it?

Thanks
bob

Yes. I have it. I enjoy this one a lot. It's worth $11 IMO.

TARPSBird
February 16th, 2013, 18:17
I have it too. Definitely worth the $11.95, go for it. :salute:

delta_lima
February 16th, 2013, 22:26
A fantastic bird that has held up well over time. Get this repaint, from Pablo Diaz at Avsim:

<TBODY>
Filename:
texture.vmf115_dirty.zip

License:
Freeware

Added:
18th November 2010, 20:37:56

Downloads:

Author:
Pablo Diaz

Size:
9481kb

</TBODY>

It'll blow your mind how great a repaint it is. I miss Pablo's work ... Indeed, I retrofit all the "common" textures (VC, etc.) over onto all my other F4D repaints - the cockpit, glass, etc look much better.

Regards,

DL

NickB
February 17th, 2013, 01:32
One of my all time top ten flightsim models. It's an old model but I still think it's a bargain. And it has an easy to use paintkit. I don't think you would be disappointed, although I believe there is a new one in the pipeline from Razbam or Iris, I forget.

delta_lima
February 17th, 2013, 06:59
And NickB's paints are awesome - esp his NASA scheme representing the F5D Skylancer.!!

DL

b52bob
February 17th, 2013, 08:17
Thanks to all, will pick it up after return from Hawaii.

Bob

DennyA
February 17th, 2013, 09:04
And NickB's paints are awesome - esp his NASA scheme representing the F5D Skylancer.!!

DL
I know it will never happen, but wow would I love an F5D Skylancer for FSX.

Almost as much as I want a Crusader III...

delta_lima
February 17th, 2013, 19:10
I know it will never happen, but wow would I love an F5D Skylancer for FSX.

Almost as much as I want a Crusader III...

Well, I know how I'd bet on this ... much like you ... but for what it's worth, when a render of a Razbam F4D was shown here a year or so back, Ron commented that an F5D was a "maybe" .... I'd happily share my Skylancer documentation for them or anyone else to borrow.

Even if it had to share a VC with the Skyray - I'd be happy ...

Regards,

PS: I should also have mentioned Nick (Nick B from a few posts up) did a whole host of paints, both real and fictional - search "Nick Bradin" at Avsim ... he was too modest to mention it - but they are also must haves ....

DL

b52bob
February 17th, 2013, 21:23
I really hate to date myself but I saw both the sky lancer and the crusader iii in flight. Used to live 1/2 mile from Moffet Field when it was a big navy test site. Also saw the pogo stick there.

If any plane is prettier than thr sky ray it's the sky lancer. The crusader not so much.

Bob

delta_lima
February 18th, 2013, 06:11
Indeed, the F5D was full of possibility, I do believe it could have been a winner.

In his book "Killer Rays", states the main official factors were the cost overruns on the X24A fire control system as well as a 25% reduction in range (can't remember if it was combat or ferry) - yielding what appeared to a duplication of the F-8 Crusader requirement. According to Heinemann, the USN didn't want to award a 5th programme to Douglas, while Vought had only 1.

I think (possibly) where the F5D mightn't have performed as well as the F-8 was in its close-in gunfighting against the MiG-17s in Vietnam. Tailless deltas normally bleed speed significantly in tight turns, and this may have been the case with F5D. Otherwise, with its, it could have very likely been a good export option against F-104s and the F-102 (the latter in particular, being an older design as a contemporary of the F4D).

The wing configuration certainly afforded more stores options in the A2G mode than the Crusader, and its carrier/slow speed landing characteristics appear to have been far superior. We'll never really know - but she sure was a stunning plane - even if only 4 flew, for a good decade of experimental flying.

Anyway - back to the F4D - let us know how you like the F4D ... :).

DL