PDA

View Full Version : For the AMD Users out there...AMD Overdrive!

Mach3DS
February 12th, 2013, 15:54
I don't know for sure, but my guess is that most of the FSX users out there are running an INTEL based processor? However, I'd like to know which of you are Running an AMD? The purpose of this post ISN'T to talk about which is better etc etc. It's to find out which of you ARE running an AMD, what CPU, and do you use AMD overdrive?

The bare bones of the matter is that I DO run an AMD (FX-8150 BlackEdition) and I've just recently (today) discovered the AMD Overdrive Over-Clock utility, and have been able to go from 3.6ghz to just over 4ghz with just the click of a checkbox! I now check core turbo check box prior to loading FSX, play, and then when finished simply uncheck and return to my standard clock speed.

So I thought I would share for those of you not running an INTEL based CPU. Considering AMD-FSX information is difficult to come across, other than mostly un-helpful posts which suggest to change out your mother board and CPU for an Intel one!, which isn't an option for me! So, until it is an option, hopefully this helps you find better results in your FSX install. :)

Read and Download here:

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/amd-overdrive/pages/overview.aspx

CG_1976
February 12th, 2013, 16:37
Ever since I've been a member of SOH, Ive been the die hard AMD user for many reasons. #1 Im a cold climate Arctic person and that means I need a CPU that loves cold and keep itself happy and Warm. AMD is that hands down. The Intel is is excellent all around climate wise, except in the Arctic colds. They choke and puke for some odd reason lol. But I havnt had any issues with my AMD's.

Currently I use AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ and I dont overclock and FSX/Prepar3D purr and roar and play nice. This CPU is a 8 core.

mjrhealth
February 12th, 2013, 23:32
FX-6300 @ 4.55 Gig. last was 1090T @ 4,1, and before that 955 @ 3.5 I tink it was. 6300 is a gem, lower power than the 8350 and overclocks much teh same

Bruce Thompson
February 13th, 2013, 02:39
I am running an AMD Phenom 945 x4 core with a stock speed of 3.0 ghz , but with AMD 0verdrive I can run it at 3.4 ghz which runs FSX a lot smoother.

modelr
February 13th, 2013, 18:00
AMD A8 3870 Black Edition. 3.0GHz, XFX ATI Radeon HA6750. Have not tried Overdrive, yet. I have some errors somewhere in my programs, causing things to lock up occassionaly that must be fixed first.