PDA

View Full Version : 30 years ago today.......

T6flyer
February 11th, 2013, 23:49
....I had my first flight. Cessna 150 G-BFLM from Bodmin Airfield, Runway 03 with Dick Smerdon. Never thought I would be writing this today, as that one flight started a love for aviation and one that has opened so many doors. 1750 hours later and a lot of money, but loved every minute of it.

So many highlights......10 Harvards, 2 P-51s, TBM Avenger, Staggerwing, Piston and Jet Provost, T-34, T-28s, Stearmans (Stearmen?), Jungmann, Stampe, C-45, C-47....lots and lots of Austers, Broussard to France, Irish sea twice in an AOP9, Floatplanes in Canada, Martin 404 at Oshkosh, microlight to 10000ft, the list goes on and on. Very lucky indeed.

So today, trying to get up again, but what with this wonderful British weather, isn't looking that good. But its early, so perhaps try for this afternoon.

Best wishes,

Martin

Jagdflieger
February 12th, 2013, 06:20
A great anniversary to be sure! Isn't that something when you leave the ground for the first time in a small aeroplane or helo with widows all around you. To see that ground fall away from you is just breathtaking.

Please post some photos of your aerial adventures if possible.

T6flyer
February 12th, 2013, 08:34
Just got home from one of the coldest days that I have ever spent at the airfield. Due to the wonderful weather (not!) we are getting here in England at the moment, didn't get the chance to fly, so at least celebrated with Chocolate Cake, but for some strange reason, it didn't go to well with Soup!!!

Will bore you with some photos later in the week.

Cheers,

Martin

hubbabubba
February 12th, 2013, 10:26
A great anniversary to be sure! Isn't that something when you leave the ground for the first time in a small aeroplane or helo with widows all around you. To see that ground fall away from you is just breathtaking.

Please post some photos of your aerial adventures if possible.

I really hope that it is an unfortunate typo. If not, my sincere condolence to all your widows...:kilroy:

Mormon?:icon_lol:

Dev One
February 12th, 2013, 10:30
Gerard Hoffnung had them in every room!
Keith

Curtis P40
February 12th, 2013, 13:35
Congradulations...and please, bore me to death. :icon_lol:

Jagdflieger
February 12th, 2013, 16:00
Widow for window.

Ha, ha! Yes it was a typo from my dyslexic typing!

hubbabubba
February 13th, 2013, 12:22
Happy to know that you're still with us, Jagdflieger.:173go1:

Boring us with pictures, T6flyer? You can try.:jump:

T6flyer
February 21st, 2013, 22:21
A little bit late, but here are a few photos....apologies for the quality, but had to pinch them from my Facebook page!!!

Cheers,

Martin

Motormouse
February 22nd, 2013, 01:35
Those pics bring back some memories...I've met a couple of those aeroplanes in my 34 yrs of fixing them...if I'm not mistaken the P-51 is G-SUSY, in its' Memphis Belle movie scheme, while owned by the late Paul Morgan? Had formerly been owned by the late Charles Church.

Did you ever meet Gary's co-pilot (see photo :icon_lol: ) during the 1992 season? IIRC the other T6 hidden by the company 'Landy' is Norman Lees' 'KT'

Awful lot of of pilots' I knew from back then are sadly no longer with us, Spencer Flack, 'Hoof' , Ray and Mark Hanna to name but a few.
Wonder if you recognise any of these aeroplanes?

and in the background here... (the nice lady in foreground was an acquaintance of Mark Hanna's)

ttfn

Pete

T6flyer
February 22nd, 2013, 21:17
Pete,

What wonderful photos. No, I never had the opportunity to meet with the 'co-pilot' - bit of a let down I suppose!!! But did fly with both Gary and Numan on a number of occasions over the years. It was Norman that gave me my Harvard flight at Dunkeswell in IIB G-CTKL.

Yes, it was Paul Morgan's Mustang which became my first (N51RR being the second). He was a lovely chap and is sorely missed. I did some work for him on his Chipmunk and then his ex-USAF, Haitian T-6G and then of course SUSY. After this, the F4U Corsair and the Sea Fury. Was down to have a ride in this, but sadly it was not to be.

The Avenger in the photo is the Old Flying Machine example, which I believe now is in New Zealand and in the photo of the Harvard Formation Team Beech C-45 (flown in lots of times), can be seen 'Super Slug' Tony Haig-Thomas' Harvard Mk.4 which was painted up to represent a Hurricane that flew from North Weald. Looks like those photos were taken at West Malling.

The two tone blue Harvard was G-BGOR which was owned by Martin Sargent who was later sadly killed in a Spitfire in France.

Thanks for posting them. Brings back a lot of good memories.

Cheers,

Martin

Motormouse
February 23rd, 2013, 00:59
Hi Martin, yes West Malling @ 1987,88 , 89 ish.
I worked there as part of ground crew for Sally B, later helped out at bit during filming Memphis Belle.
I have a few more photos I post up, if you don't mind a bit of thread drift.

Pete

Jagdflieger
February 23rd, 2013, 10:56
Seems like the best threads "drift around" a bit. I'd love to see those photos.

Motormouse
February 24th, 2013, 02:44
Seems like the best threads "drift around" a bit. I'd love to see those photos.

Ok, then here's a few more, all taken at West Malling, as long as Martin has no objections to the hijack....:jump: think I've remembered most of the pertinent details correctly, but could be wrong after 25 odd years, and no doubt Martin will put me right!

First one is for Martin, think he'll know it for sure...

Then we have the late Spencer Flack's Mustang VF-S (my own personal favourite..soooo clean!), with Rod Dean driving, along with if memory serves right,
the Arnolds' Biggin-Hill based Mustang , wearing its' Memphis Belle movie colours.

2 B-25's, North Weald (as it was then) based 'Grumpy' to the right, and one from the Duke of Brabant's Air Force to the left.

Stephen Grey's Hurricane, its first 'post restoration' public show

OFMC MH434, after we had moved aeroplanes outside on show day, lurking behind is the Grumman F7 Tigercat of Paul Warren-Wilson

and finally, "catch me if you can Dad!" the late Ray Hanna in Spitfire chasing son, the late Mark Hanna in the Buchon

Got more up in the attic somewhere ! Enjoy

ttfn

Pete

T6flyer
February 27th, 2013, 08:18
Superb stuff indeed. Brings back a lot of memories when out and about at the airshows with various warbird operators. Sadly now a thing of the past for me.

The T-6G in the first photo is G-BGHU, still based at Headcorn with Chris Bellhouse, who is now Chairman of the Tiger Club.

Will try and dig out some more photos myself, this weekend.

Cheers,

Martin