PDA

View Full Version : AN-124

Mach3DS
February 11th, 2013, 11:07
Just thought I'd share a cool experience. I just watched an AN-124 land at my home airport (KPAE) Paine Field, Everett, WA. I've never seen one in real life, and it's HUGE! I'm around 747-8's all the time, and they are huge...but this thing has fuselage girth! (Either that, or it's a very good optical illusion). The high wing makes it look intimidating! :D Nice way to end the work day. Unfortunately, no pictures, as camera's aren't allowed, but it'll be burned in the memory, that's for sure!

mgchrist5
February 11th, 2013, 11:18
Very cool! Volga-Dnepr used to fly them under contract into PHL here on a fairly regular basis. AFAIK, they transported CH-47s overseas from from the Boeing-Vertol plant in Ridley Park, just adjacent to Philly Intl airport. I spent the better part of one Saturday a few years ago just parked on the perimeter road trying to get a good view. True mammoths!

jetstreamsky
February 11th, 2013, 13:34
I remember the An-124 at Farnborough the first year it displayed there, just seemed to impossibly hang in the air, then the following show they brought the An-224 :isadizzy: Amazing machine!

CG_1976
February 11th, 2013, 15:11
Seeing a An124 is truly a pleasure and rare. Some years ago we had an AN124 in Yellowknife and man the size and the Taxi mess lol. I wont forget that ever.

Navy Chief
February 11th, 2013, 15:39
In 2001, a An-124 was used to fly the damaged US Navy Fleet Air Reconnaissance Squadron One (VQ-1) EP-3E that the Chinese govt. held, following an inflight accident with one of their fighter aircraft.

The U.S. govt had a special dolly constructed to transport the EP-3E sections inside the AN-124. I know this, because the company who made the dolly was located in Ellijay, Ga, where I used to live. NC