PDA

View Full Version : My old expensive habit.

Cazzie
February 10th, 2013, 11:50
When my two boys were younger and I was at home more often, I constructed scale plastic models, mostly aircraft, mostly 1/72 scale. Sadly, that hobby had to take a back burner in 2008 and I simply have not had enough time allotted to return, using my paint skills for FS9 and FSX to whet my addiction to aircraft.

I call these two Mutt & Jeff. Both are 1/72 scale and manufactured by Hasegawa of Japan. The FM-1 (Mutt) Wildcat is the designation given by Eastern Aircraft, the aircraft division of General Motors, who were given license by Grumman to build Wildcats and Avengers for the Atlantic campaign against German U-Boats. Similar is the TBM-1C Avenger, which was built by Eastern Aircraft. Both aircraft carry the Atlantic campaign color scheme of Dark Gull Gray over White, paints were all Polly Scale acrylics. The Avenger carries the markings (58-C-26) of the first aircraft for the U.S. Navy to sink a U-Boat by use of rockets. It is another one of my IPMS National winners.

Sascha66
February 10th, 2013, 12:21
Those truly look great! I used to paint 1/72 scale but with everything tending to virtual I sort of let that hobby slip over the past 12 years ...

Of course my stuff never matched the standard of these two models!

I might still have some models packed away in my cellar somewhere, but I gave a lot of it away to neighbour kids and such.

Cheers,
Sascha

Ferry_vO
February 11th, 2013, 07:54
Nice work Cazzie!

How did you get the models to 'fly' like that and the propellers to rotate?

Should really get back to my two armoured vehicles and post a few shots! Not nearly like your quality but it keeps me off the streets. ;-)

Cazzie
February 11th, 2013, 11:36
Nice work Cazzie!

How did you get the models to 'fly' like that and the propellers to rotate?

Should really get back to my two armoured vehicles and post a few shots! Not nearly like your quality but it keeps me off the streets. ;-)

The models are mounted on a modified hobby magnifier mount, which is cut out using Photoshop. The prop is mounted using two sizes of brass tubing, 1-inch long. I spin the prop with an old hair dryer, in which I have removed the heating element. They will spin in the slightest breeze, but are always under an acrylic cover.

aircav1970
February 13th, 2013, 06:25
Beautiful work Cazzie,I'm in the middle of doing a Corsair right now(just started painting it) and your's are an inspiration...Thanks for posting!