PDA

View Full Version : Coming out of the CRT Age Part II

Willy
October 4th, 2008, 10:27
Based on what I was told by yall in the now disappeared Part I thread, I've been researching and shopping. First off going by what resolution options I've got available, my FX 5200 apparently don't do widescreen. Which is ok, since my desk is pretty narrow anyway and there are plenty of regular screen LCDs out there to look at once I figured out where to look. I did write down what resolution options I have so that I can make a better comparason to what I need.

There were two native resolutions in LCDs that matched up to the list. 1280x1024 and 1920x1200. The 1920x1200 LCDs are out of my price range (fixed income and a cheap bastard besides ;)). 1280x1024 is what I'm currently running everything at and I have no problem staying with it. And I was hoping to go up to a 19" from the 17" flat screen CRT that I'm using now. Some good options in that range.

I've narrowed what New Egg has down to a ViewSonic and an Acer. My previous monitor was a 15" ViewSonic and I still have it stashed up in the attic as a spare. Very good and reliable. The only Acer product I've any experience with is my daughters laptop and it's new. The specs on the two are alike except for contrast. Both are 19" with a 5ms refresh rate. The ViewSonic has 1:1000 contrast and the Acer 1:2000. I'm assuming the Acer's is better. So it looks like I'm going to order an Acer here in a little bit.

Anyway thanks for help in the older thread! :icon29:s all around down in the Cantina on Henry's tab!

Willy
October 4th, 2008, 12:25
Got to thinking about it and given that I like ViewSonic and have no experience to speak of with Acer, I went ahead and ordered the 19" ViewSonic VA903MB LCD monitor. It should be here sometime next week. I also ordered a network card for Mrs Willy's ancient Dell laptop, but that's another project.

hey_moe
October 5th, 2008, 03:06
I think you will like the updated momitor, one of the best things about the LCD monitor is it is easier on your eyes when reading,For us old farts we need every little bit....lol:costumes:

Willy
October 9th, 2008, 15:16
The ViewSonic LCD showed up on my front porch this morning and boy is it ever a world of difference between it and my old CRT. Should have went to a LCD a long time ago. :d:d:d:d:d

Thanks to all who gave me tips (pre-SOH crash)! :ernae: