PDA

View Full Version : Convair Pogo

womble55
January 7th, 2009, 00:41
I've got a Convair Pogo in the pipeline, it flies fairly well, a few bleeds here and there but I am conquering them. My problem is....How do I get it to sit on its butt on the ground and take off vertically as per the designers intentions?

Ivan
January 7th, 2009, 06:49
I was just going to ask how you were planning on doing the AIR file.
My son really wants me to do a model of "Slave 1" as flown by Boba Fett from Star Wars.
It is also a VTOL.

- Ivan.

womble55
January 7th, 2009, 23:01
I've had a tweek of the air file this morning and totally against my normal practices I went for the obvious and set the fuselage angle (in 301) to 90 degrees or close to. Over to CFS1 to try it out and the pogo was presented nose down. I reset the fuselage angle to -90 degrees and it was presented on its butt, it had an awful u/c bounce though so watch this space.

napamule
February 12th, 2009, 00:04
Perhaps you might like to see this video at YouTube showing how it's possible to 'make it behave'. A lot depends on the model, of course. I can help you with your FDEs. Not using Rob Barendregt's gauges, either. Just my vtol cfg and air files (my own tweaks). The jump is due to: total weight, MOI's (make them in the millions), and contact points. Cheers.
Chuck B
Napamule
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP8EdVX6LdU

Gwynedd
February 14th, 2009, 20:58
I've got a Convair Pogo in the pipeline, it flies fairly well, a few bleeds here and there but I am conquering them. My problem is....How do I get it to sit on its butt on the ground and take off vertically as per the designers intentions?

Hello, Womble! It's good to have you here. I'm Welsh-American (family came to Virginia ~ 1670)
Where the heck did you find that Pogo add-on? My dad showed me pictures of those in the 1950's and it was very cool looking. I thought it had something to do with the comic strip of that name he read to me and my brother.
I would love to fly that thing.
Gwyn

hubbabubba
February 15th, 2009, 05:22
:wavey:Gwynedd

Where the heck did you find that Pogo add-on?

In his mind. womble55 is designing his own. He also has no direct access 24-7 to internet, that's why I'm taking the liberty to answer in his place.

womble55
February 15th, 2009, 23:22
Thanks Hubba, some people would say that it is a miracle that anything ever comes out from such a vast empty space such as my head.
I will try and get the pogo flyable in the vertical sense, if I put basic textures on it then others can detail it properly. At the moment I am trying to get AF5 Paint to work properly, just when I get a good session going, I import the overlay and it chucks back at me the message such as part0001 does not exist when I know it does. I've a sneaky feeling it is because the assembly of the component isn't in order due to modifications I've made. Any comments would be gratefully received.
My building flits between projects sussing out how to do the cockpit framing right, I've picked several to eventually get me doing right. The B25 cockpit was straight forward but the nose glass and the Me262B-2 and Bf110G is making me scratch my head....just the way I like it!

Ivan
February 17th, 2009, 09:50
Hello Womble55,

I believe I may be able to help with AF5Paint.

Here is what I believe the issue is along with explanations:

NEVER use a component as an overlay. The problem is that AF5Paint is an old program and uses a 8.3 filename convention. If ANY of your parts in your components are longer than 8.3, the program barfs. I only use Parts (.afp files) as overlays. The problem is that you can only use ONE part as an overlay.

My solution is to bring up the thing I want to paint in AF99 and create a single part that meets all the vertices of the thing I am painting (along with panel lines if necessary).

The resulting "part" won't be planar and won't be useful as anything other than a painting template. I call these parts ZPthing.afp. Keep in mind that the 8.3 rule needs to be observed here also. Also keep in mind that these parts won't work as templates in more than one direction.

Hope this helps!
- Ivan.

Ivan
March 9th, 2009, 16:30
Hey Womble55,

How did my advice work out? You are also working on a B-25 for CFS? If you need advice on the glass and framing, I have already worked it out to some extent for mine.

- Ivan.

womble55
March 16th, 2009, 02:51
Thanks Ivan, your advice was spot on, the only problem is that I have to alter my part names to suit. As to the assistance, I would rather do it myself but any tips will be very gratefully recieved.

Ivan
March 16th, 2009, 04:14
Don't alter your part names. Just create a new part as a painting template based on your component or structure. It is simpler to create the new part.

- Ivan.

womble55
March 17th, 2009, 02:47
Don't alter your part names. Just create a new part as a painting template based on your component or structure. It is simpler to create the new part.

- Ivan.
in the words of that great sage Homer...."Doh!"

Ivan
March 17th, 2009, 08:51
Homer and Bart are my heroes too! Especially Bart!

The issue here is that I can create the painting template part either to match up with a single component or multiple components or add pieces or things like landing gear wells, etc. which make the template better as a painting guide but which don't match any particular single piece on the airplane.

- Ivan.