PDA

View Full Version : MeshTools 2.5 Question

OleBoy
February 6th, 2013, 14:32
I know nothing about UVW mapping whatsoever. :kilroy:
Is there a tutorial for this that someone can direct me to?

Allen
February 6th, 2013, 21:53
Don't know a thing about MeshTools 2.5. I use the set up as shown in Milton Shupe C162 tut...

hairyspin
February 6th, 2013, 21:54
I learned mapping from Milton's C162 tutorial (http://www.flightsimonline.com/C162/). Mapping is part 22 in the series, recommended! (I also have MeshTools, they're rather good, but not for mapping...)

OleBoy
February 7th, 2013, 14:59
The tutorial is useful. Absolutely. Though I'm at a mental loss as to how to use it on the engine model due to the complexity in the amount of parts and their size for my application.
Where do I start?
How do I start?

Not flat surfaces.
And, I do not want to necessarily create a repaint template for the engine. I want it to be a one time thing that I texture and be done with it.

I'm gladly open for suggestions as/to my approach in doing so.

Tako_Kichi
February 7th, 2013, 15:08
I do not want to necessarily create a repaint template for the engine. I want it to be a one time thing that I texture and be done with it.
You might want to re-think that statement Don. :icon_lol:

You have said elsewhere that you might like to use that engine for other aircraft. If all the engine textures are on one texture sheet if you drop the engine model into another aircraft model then you just need to drop the engine texture sheet into the new aircraft's texture folder and it will be textured in the sim too.

I did something similar with the comms antennas on my model. They are all on one unique texture sheet so that if I use those antennas on another aircraft I just need to merge the model parts into the new aircraft and drop the texture sheet into the texture folder.

OleBoy
February 7th, 2013, 15:17
I feel what you're putting down. Though I don't want to make a texture sheet that reflects the engine textures (as a template) for others to paint to their likings. I would rather have the engine textured through Gmax if possible and have it as a done deal from there on out. My plans are to texture this dang thing once and be done with it. If that makes sense.

Then of course, I think baking comes to play? If so, then my thoughts may not be do-able via gmax?

My mind is completely lost as/to where to start to do the textures on this dang thing.

Blood_Hawk23
February 7th, 2013, 16:22
What have to tried so far?

Do you want it textured or just the basic material?

If you don't want others repainting it then just do the material.

If you have put that much work into the detail then I would do Tako_Kichi's suggestion. That way repaints are more then likely going to only be done on the aircraft. Most who do the repaints normally leave the engine alone. It might also help with Frame Rate (Don't quote me on that).

Just a thought.

Sorry if it doesn't help.

Blood_Hawk23
February 7th, 2013, 16:41
Another Thought. Sorry.

Can't you have all the surfaces mapped seperatly?

If you can figure out how the light will hit the motor you can color them accordingly. Start from the top and work down. Use brighter colors for where the light will hit. Then do the same for the shadows with darker shades.

I've only done a little mapping and I wasn't to fond of it. I'd rather do one color and use textures.

I think this will add to the size of the model. It may only work depending on how you did the parts. Now that i think of it only each part can be done this way correct?

Hummmm...

Milton Shupe
February 7th, 2013, 20:09
You will not be able to do a nice job of mapping using the planar method as in my tutorials.

My recommendation is to map it properly and use the UVW Unwrap to do this.

I uploaded 4 tutorials that explain the technique and a lot more.

The first in the series is here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=8&id=9737

Second: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=8&id=9747

Third: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=8&id=9760

Fourth: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=8&id=9764

These were done by John Howard White (of L-049 fame) 5-6 years ago before he passed so the material editor may be a little different than yours but the concepts are the same.

Be patient with the process, view all, then go back.

There may be better tutes out there for this and maybe someone can post links.

This process allows you to develop the texture sheet with all the textures on it first then apply the mapping to your texture sheet; whereas, my personal technique is to create the texture sheets from the mapping using LithUnwrap.

OleBoy
February 8th, 2013, 08:02
for my need, Milton.

What he did for you took time, knowledge, and a sense of confidence to put the video together. John seemed very relaxed as he explained all the procedures.
Very well put together. And just what I was needing. Those videos are gold for someone learning as I am.

I watched all the videos last night. Since then I have began the process of creating my templates that I will apply.
I plan to watch the videos a few more times before I get started.

Thanks very much for the excellent video tutorials. :wavey:

Blood_Hawk23
February 8th, 2013, 15:43
yes thank you very much.

Milton Shupe
February 8th, 2013, 17:16
for my need, Milton.

What he did for you took time, knowledge, and a sense of confidence to put the video together. John seemed very relaxed as he explained all the procedures.
Very well put together. And just what I was needing. Those videos are gold for someone learning as I am.

I watched all the videos last night. Since then I have began the process of creating my templates that I will apply.
I plan to watch the videos a few more times before I get started.

Thanks very much for the excellent video tutorials. :wavey:

Great! Happy that they are useful.

I would recommend that you use a multi-material approach to help identify and keep separate all the ID channels and double checking of your selections.

I would suggest only one texture, and instead of using Copy for each channel, use instance.

Keep in mind that you must not have "gaps" in your IDs; they need to be sequential with none missing. At least for FS9, the export will fail with missing channels.

Yes, John Howard White was an amazing individual with a very friendly, positive, and helpful personality. He gave lots of praise and encouragement even when suggesting different approaches, sharing reasons and advantages. I miss him as a friend.

tgibson
February 11th, 2013, 09:36
Hi Milton,

I agree, John was a great friend and a wonderful person. I can say the same for Greg Pepper as well, also lost to us.