PDA

View Full Version : Not that this will change the course....

Odie
February 6th, 2013, 05:51
of history, but Monopoly the game, is a'changing.....

http://news.yahoo.com/monopoly-fans-vote-add-cat-toss-iron-tokens-125615568--finance.html

N428ER
February 6th, 2013, 06:21
Ah, good choice on the cat! I never did understand the iron tokens...

brad kaste
February 6th, 2013, 07:42
Ah, good choice on the cat! I never did understand the iron tokens...

My take on it would be that the game came out in the 1930's. One of the main domestic chores was clothes ironing. Lots of it. This was before wash n' ware casual apparel .
The lady of the house put a lot of time in using that significant electrical iron.

Dain Arns
February 6th, 2013, 10:19
Wasn't even the convenience a 'modern' electrical iron, Brad.
It was the type you used to set on, usually, a wood stove to heat up.
They were still using them when Monopoly was invented...

"The Landlord's Game", as it was first known, has been around for a long time. :wavey:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly_%28game%29

Toastmaker
February 6th, 2013, 11:32
YAY !! The cat won, the cat won !!

:applause:

Terry
February 6th, 2013, 12:11
Grab all the old tokens you can get, they will be worth money eventually.

Allen
February 6th, 2013, 12:11
There was a contest and Stephen Colbert didn't hijack it?!?

Kiwikat
February 6th, 2013, 14:07
Monopoly is lame. Anyone else out there into real board games? :mix-smi:

AckAck
February 6th, 2013, 16:10
I've always found Monopoly to be a real board game - at least, I'm always bored when playing it...

crashaz
February 6th, 2013, 17:45
LOL I grew up on Avalon Hill games.... like Panzer Leader and Flattop.... but I do consider Monopoly a real game... play it every holiday with family.

BTW the battlewagon was 2nd in popularity... possibly tied with car. :)

Kiwikat
February 6th, 2013, 17:51
LOL I grew up on Avalon Hill games.... like Panzer Leader

My dad's got that one on the bookshelf. One of these days I am going to learn it.

I've been enjoying Memoir '44 a lot lately. It isn't a heavy duty war game, but it is a lot more fun. Having plastic pieces to move around and shoot at each other is just pure awesome. :icon_lol:

av8erjm
February 7th, 2013, 07:29
What an evil, capitalistic game. Indoctrinating our poor youth into the evil ways of being a 1 percenter. Shoudn't there be a game caterig towards how much you can get in food stamps or maybe trying to have as many illegitimate kids as possible to get child support from the govt. The one with most plasma tv's or Cadillac Escalade's wins. Before anyone gets upset I'm just trying to be sarcasticly funny

Toastmaker
February 8th, 2013, 02:20
And you're doing a good job of it ! That game already exists, it's called: "Urban life"

:icon_lol: