PDA

View Full Version : Scenery Library Editor

JohnC
January 6th, 2009, 20:17
Does anyone know of a way to edit the master scenery list any other way than the single select, up/down one spot at a time interface in the settings menu?

CHBTheDoctor
January 7th, 2009, 00:11
...but no warranty.

It reads scenery.cfg, displays it as a tree and you can drag and drop single entries and then resort by tree.

Save SceneryHierachy.zip.txt to your computer, rename to SceneryHierachy.zip, unzip and put the EXE to where ever you want.

Check EXE for viruses before use (never trust anyone on the internet)

No install, simply run the EXE, it should be selfexplaning :)

TimA
January 7th, 2009, 05:20
Once you've selected an entry, you can move it with the keyboard (D and U I think from memory). With key repeat, it's much faster than clicking the mouse.

CHBTheDoctor
January 7th, 2009, 10:24
...but it's a nice idear.

But you can grab an entry and use PageUp/PageDown for quick scrolling.

(If anybody FINDS a way to use only the keyyboard with the program given -> tell me:wave:)

A seccond advantage of this tool is, it keeps scenery.cfg nice and tidy, because Area number and layer number are always in sync.

If you change the position of a scenery in FSX (or FS2004 it works as well) this is not the case.

JohnC
January 7th, 2009, 15:29
Thank you very much CHB, that was a very useful tool.

GaryGB
January 9th, 2009, 09:58
Thanks, I'll try this one out too (one can never have enough tools, right)? :typing:

I'd also give an OUTSTANDING rating to this little gem... SCM2004 Scenery Manager:

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=SCM2004&CatID=root&Go=Search

It can actually do management and maintenance on the scenery library in both FS9 and FSX, allowing export and re-import to an assigned position in the list.

The reason for this is during application load up, FS actually inventories EVERY file referenced in every BGL located in a scenery "Area" folder that is listed in the scenery library via the Scenery.CFG file.

Here's the killer: this is ALWAYS done by FS even if that scenery area is un-checked to give it an "in-active" attribute!

NOTE: Cutting & Exporting scenery area entries with SCM2004 Scenery Manager to keep the list to a minimum of scenery areas that are not "required" by FS for default function and for a given flight... helps keep the FS startup time to a minimum; exported areas can easily be re-imported when desired!

Just as a somewhat related heads-up, another trick to keep FS start up time to a minimum is, for all aircraft not currently in use, re-name their Aircraft.CFG to something like Aircraft_CFG.bak so FS doesn't detect them, and thus won't start to inventory every one of the files referenced in its MDL and CFG files.

No need to be moving entire Aircraft/Airplane folder chains in and out of the FS folder chain (that just takes time and causes drive fragmentation!)

Hope this helps!:engel016:

GaryGB

Navy Chief
January 9th, 2009, 11:22
Outstanding tips. Thanks!

NC