PDA

View Full Version : James Hefner

Roger
February 4th, 2013, 12:30
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/soh_ftp/uploads/imageuploads/193513600134588163.jpg
A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FS 2004 Aircraft

Description: Ushakov L-P-L flying submarine for FS2004 (CFS2 and FS2002 versions also available)
model file, airfile,textures,DP,and panel by James Hefner.
Russian gauges by MoparMike, Bf.110 Sound files by Mike Hambly and Gert-jaap van der Bij.
July 24th 2009
-----------------------
In 1938 Mr.B.P.Ushakov worked on a Project called "L-P-L" (Letayushchey Podvodnaya Lodka) = Small-Fly-submarine.
He was given the go-ahead to build the plane; but it was never built due to technical reasons.
----------------
To install extract into your main \microsoft games\Flight Simulator 9 folder.
The aircraft will submerge and surface with the wingfold key (I programmed it to Shift-F, the access hatch opens with the open canopy key.
----------------
Information:
Thanks to MoparMike for the Russian gauges and the use of them.
Thanks to Mike Hambly and Gert-jaap van der Bij for the sound files.
Thanks to Ivan Hsu for the MDLC for the reflective shine in the model file.
--------------------
James Hefner

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit James Hefner (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=15307&catid=6)
The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Naismith
February 4th, 2013, 13:11
Is it the inspiration for this I wonder

TailHook
February 4th, 2013, 14:41
Interesting concept, but it lacks water rudder control. I can't maneuver at all in the water....Any ideas? :isadizzy:

jhefner
February 4th, 2013, 14:45
Interesting concept, but it lacks water rudder control. I can't maneuver at all in the water....Any ideas? :isadizzy:

I did not have knowledge of the settings for water rudder and other bouyancy controls; especially in FSX and Prepar3D. I will be glad to work with someone to modify the flight dynamics files to make it work. I was able to steeer it on the water in FS2004, FS2002, and CFS2.

(The actual plane did not appear to have a water rudder per say; the actual rudder became a water rudder once it was submerged.)

-James Hefner

TailHook
February 4th, 2013, 15:56
I was able to steeer it on the water in FS2004, FS2002, and CFS2. (The actual plane did not appear to have a water rudder per say; the actual rudder became a water rudder once it was submerged.)

I couldn't turn neither left nor right in the water (FS2004), and since it's on floats, i'm surprise that big-bird doesn't have water rudders. :isadizzy:

TailHook
February 4th, 2013, 16:03

If you look closely at the above model, it's definitely a retractable water-rudder.

jhefner
February 4th, 2013, 17:53
This 3-D drawing; which seemed the closest thing to the original concept; does not have one:

http://www.geocities.com/unicraftmodels/on/lpl/lpl-dr.jpg

Nor does the computer model made by the Discovery Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxyf3O_SyYQ&feature=related

This is a good time for me to insert a gentle reminder: the Ushakov LPL was never built. The Soviets could not overcome the technical issues of making a flying submarine work. All models, all drawings, etc. are purely conjectual - nothing more, nothing less.

With the drawing were the following technical specs; which were the starting point of the flight dynamic files:

The possible repetition of approach to target was considered as one of the essential advantages of the underwater- air torpedo bomber over traditional submarines. Especially effective it had to be the action of the flying submarines in the group, since theoretically three such apparatuses created on the way of enemy the impervious barrier by width to nine miles. LPL could penetrate at night the harbor and the ports of enemy, be immersed, and in the daytime conduct observation, direction-finding of secret fairways and with the opportunity attack. In the construction LPL were provided for six autonomous sections, in three of which were placed the aircraft engines AM-34 a with power of 1000 hp each each. They were supplied with the superchargers, which allowed boosting in the takeoff conditions to 1200 hp the fourth section was habitable, calculated for the command of three people. Control of vessel under water was conducted from it. In the fifth section was located storage battery, in the sixth - rowing electromotor by power 10 l,s. Durable housing LPL was cylindrical riveted construction with the diameter of 1,4 m from duralumin with a thickness of 6 mm. besides the durable sections, boat had wet type pilot's light cab, which with the sinking was filled up with water, in this case flying instruments battened down in the special mine.

Skin it is wing and the tail assembly it was intended to carry out made of steel, and floats from duralumin. Etielementy of construction not were calculated for the increased external pressure, since with the sinking they were heated by the sea water, which entered by drift through the scuppers (openings for the drain of water). Fuel- (gasoline) and oil were stored in the special rubber reservoirs, which were being located in the center section. With the sinking that moving and that discharges the mains of the water cooling system of aircraft engines overlapped, which excluded their damage under the effect of pressure of outboard water. The painting and varnishing of its skin was provided for for the protection of housing from the corrosion. Torpedoes were placed under the outer planes of wing on the special holders. The design payload of boat composed 44,5% of the total gross weight of apparatus, which was common for heavy type machines.

The process of sinking included four stages: the sealing down of motor sections, the overlapping of water in the radiators, the transfer of control into the underwater and transfer of crew from the cab into the crew quarters (central control).

Tactical flight characteristics LPL.

Crew, man. 3

Takeoff mass, kg 15 000

Flight speed, UZ (km/h) 100 (~200)

Flying range, km 800

Ceiling, m 2 500

Quantity and the type of aircraft engines 3 x AM-34

Power on takeoff conditions, hp 3x1200

Max. of add. agitation with vzlete/posadke and sinking, marks 4-5

Underwater SK -t6, knots 2-3

Submersion depth, m 45

Action radius under water, miles 5-6

Underwater independence, h 48

Power of rowing motor, hp 10

Duration of sinking, min 1,5

Duration of emersion, min 1,8

Armament:

- 18- in torpedo, pieces. 2

- coaxial machine gun, pieces. 2

I then went through all of my reference material, and made a spreadsheet of the perfomance data of various two- and three-engine planes of it's day; such as the TB-3, Ca 133, S.M. 81, He-115, and the DC-3; just to name a few. I averaged what data I had to come up with a starting point; and adjusted for the L-P-L's unusual configuration. Besides having two floats hanging underneath, it also had a heavy conning tower on top; so it is slow, and handles pretty much like a pig.

It's planned mission profile was very similiar to the midget subs the Japanese used at Pearl Harbor. But, rather than being released from a mother sub and waiting for a break in the submarine nets; it was intended to fly over the nets into the harbor, then submerge. So, it most likely would have flown in late evening or night to avoid detection.

I doubt it would have had water rudders because the propeller blast from the center engine and differential thrust from the outboard engines was probably fine for the brief time it spent on the surface. Unlike conventional float planes; when it submerged; it's rudder was completely underwater and behind the marine propeller; so no water rudder was needed. The only reason you would want to add one in FS is to adjust it's behavior under water.

-James

TailHook
February 4th, 2013, 18:04
Interesting....Thanks for that enlightment :salute: