PDA

View Full Version : Dino Cattaneo's F-14D beta released

Stefano Zibell
February 3rd, 2013, 03:33
Dino just released the beta 1 version of his new F-14D Super Tomcat.

link: http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.com

MudMarine
February 3rd, 2013, 04:00
I don't see a link?

hae5904
February 3rd, 2013, 04:07
Link is in the text ! :salute:

Cheers.

Felixthreeone
February 3rd, 2013, 04:23
Cool. Thanks Dino! Will beat it up and report back!

MudMarine
February 3rd, 2013, 05:28
I don't see any link to the download when it goes to the page. Does that explain it better?.....Found it in the txt of the description.

hae5904
February 3rd, 2013, 06:33
Yep the download link is in the description, it directs you to another page (google drive) with the actual download , simply named "Beta1.zip" .

:salute:

DagR
February 3rd, 2013, 07:12
I cannot seem to get the MFDs to work, can anyone else ? The JTIDS is no problem, working all right. Impressive work done by the developer :-)

Best
DagR

heywooood
February 3rd, 2013, 09:26
pilot MFD's light up and have some functionality here - RIO scope is also lighting up and has the range selector functioning

I would like to be able to work the speed brake incrementally however - like the T-45
The Tomcat is either full open or full closed

GREAT LOOKING MODEL - and the FDE seems pretty good - only a short test so far...

Dino - your virtual cockpits all have a certain extreme high quality - more real than virtual than most payware brands...you should be getting paid for this kind of talent and time -
but I really appreciate that you provide these works of art for the community gratis

If this plane is a beta and will only get better over time, then we who love the Tomcat are extremely lucky for sure

Bone
February 3rd, 2013, 10:11
I've tried to DL this numerous times throughout the day, and the DL won't start.

fliger747
February 3rd, 2013, 10:32
Found the download link, somewhat an unusual setup, but even I who am easily confused did get it to download. Thanks to Dino for tackling USN carrier aircraft, since these inhabit a difficult operating environment the FSX versions really have to blow smoke!

Cheers. T

Stefano Zibell
February 3rd, 2013, 10:51
Some bugs I've found:

1) Some buttons on the pilot's right MFD (two lower buttons on the right column) cannot be activated from a default/central viewpoint. They can be activated if you lean a bit to the right though.

2) The little knobs on the Nav radio on the left don't seem to work. They can be clicked but can't be "turned". Had to use the 2d radio stack.

3) The landing gear seems a bit too fragile, even when bingo fuel (light weight). Not sure if supposed to be like this.

4) It does seem a bit too stable on high G, high AoA situations.

Will do more test flights later. This is the best freeware tactical fighter to date, thanks Dino!

AusWilko
February 3rd, 2013, 11:26
Got another four days before I get home and be able to give this a go, looking forward to it

Dino Cattaneo
February 3rd, 2013, 11:40
Thanks a lot for your time and appreciation. Download is a little cryptic on purpose, so that people should read the instructions... by the way, if possible, please stick to the instructions and report bugs as comments on the blog. Have fun!

Ferry_vO
February 3rd, 2013, 11:52
Thank you Dino, I'm loving it already!

Bone
February 3rd, 2013, 12:16
I still can't get it to DL. Yes I'm clicking on the DL link on Dino's site, and that takes me to Google Drive where the Beta 1 zip is. I've tried Ctrl S, and I've tried clicking on it. It's just not downloading. I am getting a message that says the file is too big for Google Drive to do a virus scan, and Ctrl S gives me a small HTML doc. I'm not finding any cryptic instructions, either. It's fairly straight forward, from what I see. Click on the blue DL link on Dino's site, then click on the Google Drive page where it says Download. What am I missing here?

Ferry_vO
February 3rd, 2013, 12:18
. I am getting a message that says the file is too big for Google Drive to do a virus scan, and Ctrl S gives me a small HTML doc.

I see this message: "Sorry, we are unable to scan this file for viruses.The file exceeds the maximum size that we scan. Download anyway"

If I click 'Download anyway' the download starts.

fliger747
February 3rd, 2013, 12:24
Very nice, took off from PMDY and about 45 seconds later made a perfect arrested landing on CVN 65. Very stable on approach at 135-136 knots at 49,700 lbs.

Cheers: T

Ferry_vO
February 3rd, 2013, 12:26
3) The landing gear seems a bit too fragile, even when bingo fuel (light weight). Not sure if supposed to be like this.

Had no problems with the gear, on tarmac this is quite easy to land gently. Watch the speed on take-off though, as the gear retracts quite slowly.

Bone
February 3rd, 2013, 12:32
I see this message: "Sorry, we are unable to scan this file for viruses.The file exceeds the maximum size that we scan. Download anyway"

If I click 'Download anyway' the download starts.

Yes, I click "Download anyway" too...so far about 12 times. Download won't start for me.

Ferry_vO
February 3rd, 2013, 12:36
Maybe you have an add or pop-up blocker running, or your AV or firewall is blocking it..?

Bone
February 3rd, 2013, 12:39
I have Kapersky, and it tells me if it's blocking something, and in this case it's not blocking anything. Thanks for trying to help :)

TuFun
February 3rd, 2013, 12:49
Just now dl the files with on problems. Google drive... no preview available... click on download... The file exceeds the maximum size that we scan. Download anyway (https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&confirm=no_antivirus&id=0B1VJtKJlye7FeDJFMEVpOWFOUWc)... click on Download anyway

Download Beta1.zip 63.9 MB file.

Odie
February 3rd, 2013, 12:57
pilot MFD's light up and have some functionality here - RIO scope is also lighting up and has the range selector functioning

I would like to be able to work the speed brake incrementally however - like the T-45
The Tomcat is either full open or full closed

GREAT LOOKING MODEL - and the FDE seems pretty good - only a short test so far...

Dino - your virtual cockpits all have a certain extreme high quality - more real than virtual than most payware brands...you should be getting paid for this kind of talent and time -
but I really appreciate that you provide these works of art for the community gratis

If this plane is a beta and will only get better over time, then we who love the Tomcat are extremely lucky for sure

heywooood is on the money.....very nice to have a new kitty onboard! Thanks much Dino!

Bone
February 3rd, 2013, 13:01
Just now dl the files with on problems. Google drive... no preview available... click on download... The file exceeds the maximum size that we scan. Download anyway (https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&confirm=no_antivirus&id=0B1VJtKJlye7FeDJFMEVpOWFOUWc)... click on Download anyway

Yes, this is exactly what I've been getting every time I try, and everytime I click "download anyway"... it won't DL for me.

ryanbatc
February 3rd, 2013, 13:31
Try a different browser maybe? It's working fine for me with Chrome.

Bone
February 3rd, 2013, 13:47
Try a different browser maybe? It's working fine for me with Chrome.

Bingo. One try with Chrome and I got the DL. Thanks!

ryanbatc
February 3rd, 2013, 14:00
Alright great!

Bone
February 3rd, 2013, 14:40
Another beautifull model, Dino. Thanks!

fliger747
February 3rd, 2013, 15:22
I did notice that the ladnding weight fuel and payload I used (49.7) gave a GG of 0.44% MAC (right at the front of the MAC). For this general type of wing section a useable CG range might run something like 18-35%.

crashaz
February 3rd, 2013, 15:47

Still an issue... and I am using Chrome.

fliger747
February 3rd, 2013, 15:52
Cat launch from Enterprise works very well, but visual on launch bar has the bar a bit short?

fliger747
February 3rd, 2013, 15:53
Crash:

I got the same window, but downloaded anyway....

T

heavy
February 3rd, 2013, 15:54
This is frustrating! I have Chrome too and still nothing.....

crashaz
February 3rd, 2013, 15:59
Crash:

I got the same window, but downloaded anyway....

T
'
'
Yep I clicked on it... just flashes back to the same page. Thus the colored link in the pic.... maybe just too busy... will wait awhile

Shrewd releasing it during Super Bowl.... tons of traffic anyways. :icon_lol:

OleBoy
February 3rd, 2013, 16:47
The link works fine on my end. Download troubles are between the chair and the router.

Thanks Dino!

orionll
February 3rd, 2013, 17:47
http://i.imgur.com/q2pnfgZ.jpg

Seemed to stop rather quickly, but maybe that was because of the pitching deck...

Montie
February 3rd, 2013, 18:09
Thanks Dino, I know its in beta stage, but love it already:jump:

I have a shadow issue on the wings, but I have shadow issues with the VRS Superbug and some Carenado as well, so maybe that is on my end?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/Montie/FSX/dinof14shadowissue_zps87ccc56f.jpg

fliger747
February 3rd, 2013, 18:29
Not having the NATOPS for this so don't know if it is slow or not but only getting M 1.82 at FL300. Am able to overspeed at Sl. Tactical acft usually, but not always thrust limited at low alt. I know FS throws a few wrenches at very high speed aircraft!

Engine Inlet Temp as read on the cockpit gauge is currently SAT, or Static Air Temperature, which is what you would measure at a weather station at the site. Since you are moving rapidly, frictional and compressional heating restults in a warmer value which in the cruise I am in at the moment at 27,000 ft at M 0.78 is -10C. This value is referenced as TAT or Total Air Temperature. The SAT is currently -39C! The inlet temperature should reference the TAT value of -10C.

crashaz
February 3rd, 2013, 19:28
Downloaded from my big FS computer... worked fine. Weird.

Sundog
February 3rd, 2013, 19:36
Not having the NATOPS for this so don't know if it is slow or not but only getting M 1.82 at FL300. Am able to overspeed at Sl. Tactical acft usually, but not always thrust limited at low alt. I know FS throws a few wrenches at very high speed aircraft!

Engine Inlet Temp as read on the cockpit gauge is currently SAT, or Static Air Temperature, which is what you would measure at a weather station at the site. Since you are moving rapidly, frictional and compressional heating restults in a warmer value which in the cruise I am in at the moment at 27,000 ft at M 0.78 is -10C. This value is referenced as TAT or Total Air Temperature. The SAT is currently -39C! The inlet temperature should reference the TAT value of -10C.

A lot of high performance aircraft aren't thrust limited at low altitude, their q limited. Of course, that partly depends on loadout. But in a clean relatively clean/a2a configuration, they're definitely q limited.

MenendezDiego
February 3rd, 2013, 20:59
Don't know if its been reported yet, but the wings seem to droop down. Great stuff Dino!

DagR
February 4th, 2013, 01:52
Hi,

I initially had problems with MFDs and realised it needed FA-18 guages from FSX Acc. I have tested in P3D and so far the only anomalies I have seen, apart from the stuff reported, is that the AOA indexer is "beaming" out of its housing when the aircraft jolts or is reloaded in the sim. There's also a red light appearing on the lower instrument panel when the gear is retracted, possibly an external one.
Apart from that the aircraft is behaving very nice in P3D and looks very nicely modelled and textured.

Best
DagR

evvatc
February 4th, 2013, 05:44
A lot of high performance aircraft aren't thrust limited at low altitude, their q limited. Of course, that partly depends on loadout. But in a clean relatively clean/a2a configuration, they're definitely q limited.

Loadout/weight would factor into G-limit, however altitude wouldn't make a difference. 6.5 Gs on the deck is 6.5 Gs at altitude. Saying it was thrust limited is not accurate but I think what fliger747 meant was Airspeed Limitations. If I recall correctly, the F-14 was airspeed limited to 800kias at sea-level and M1.8 at altitude. This would be depending on stores also. Some stores would limit the airspeed further. Even though there were limitations, the Tomcat was quite capable of exceeding those speeds.

fliger747
February 4th, 2013, 10:18
As to speeds: I fly with a lot of ex F-4 FA-18 and F-14 drivers and will have to ask them if I run into one. Certainly the plane I fly is "q" and Mach limited and is quite capable of exceeding those values at eithr SL or at altitude, but then it's an airliner....

Many thanks again to our top freeware designers, to mention Dino, and of course Milton for their contributions to us all.

Cheers: Tom

fliger747
February 4th, 2013, 12:37
Previously mentioned landing gear strength is not fully sufficient for normal no flare deck landing. Currently it is set at 1500 FPS, which by real numbers should be sufficient. However experience shows a value of 2500 FPS is necessary as FS does not compute such dampening as from tire squish. The real plane would experience some excitement if landing on steel tires!

cheers. Tom

Sundog
February 4th, 2013, 16:14
As to speeds: I fly with a lot of ex F-4 FA-18 and F-14 drivers and will have to ask them if I run into one. Certainly the plane I fly is "q" and Mach limited and is quite capable of exceeding those values at eithr SL or at altitude, but then it's an airliner....
Cheers: Tom

BTW, When I say low, I'm talking down near S/L. At the altitudes you're talking, it gets tricky without having the engine deck and airframe q limit handy. Since you're still in the relatively thick part of the atmosphere (Below 36k ft), I can see the altitudes you're talking about (30K ft or so) being thermally limited more so than q limited, since the density is still much lower there than at S/L. Unfortunately, I only have one good engine deck and it's for a newer engine and powerplant manufacturers don't just go around handing those out. Though I wish they would release them for the pre-J79 engines at least.

Hanimichal
February 4th, 2013, 17:16
Awesome plane! must have many repaints

Victory103
February 4th, 2013, 17:47
About to FCF her from Oceana, wish I could find my "D" NATOPS hard copy. I'm sure any Tomcat fan will confirm stories of the jet exceeding Mach 2.3, getting the FSX to use the numbers of the flight dynamics is another story.

evvatc
February 4th, 2013, 19:12
Victory, I'll find the quote somewhere in the many Tomcat books I have but I read an A model at M2.4 was still accelerating when the pilot pulled the throttles back. Here is something I did find... Aviation Week & Space Technology
December 17, 1990

Flight Test Evaluation F-14D

i quote,
At this point, we rejoined the F-14A so Miles could demonstrate the D’s acceleration.
Starting at a speed of 245 kt. at 10,000 ft., he selected military power as Altman did the same in the A(F-14A).
We quickly accelerated away from Altman, reaching 420 kt. in 30 sec. and 500 kt. in 46 sec.
The A lagged at 400 kt. at the same 46-sec. mark.
Miles and Altman then slowed to 250 kt. and went into afterburner power.
The D accelerated through 350 kt. in 10 sec., 400 kt. in 15 sec., 450 kt. in 19 sec. and
achieved 500 kt. in 21 sec.
The A was indicating 400 kt. at the last point.
Miles also demonstrated some of the improved maneuverability afforded by the added thrust of the F110 engines. At 11,800 ft. and 180 kt., he went into burner and pulled a 4g loop.
We topped out at 15,700 ft. at a speed of 140 kt. The F-14D was back level at 12,000 ft., at a speed of 220 kt.
He said that on almost any maneuver, the F-14A would have to begin 50 kt. faster than the D to achieve comparable performance.
He then pulled 6.5g in pitch to the near-vertical, starting at 300 kt. and at 15,000 ft. in military power. He was able to pull the aircraft over at 70 kt.

Further more,
i qoute
reaching Mach 0.89, below 5,000 ft. and until we were clear of an altitude restricted area.
He then selected afterburner and we climbed at Mach 0.9 at a 55-deg. pitch attitude to 35,000 ft. We had traveled less than 7 naut. mi. over the ground to reach that altitude.
The F-14D was held at 35,000 ft. so we could perform a speed run at supersonic levels. Miles again selected afterburner and we rapidly achieved Mach 1.5. The F-14’s operational limit is Mach 1.88, but the aircraft is capable of speeds near Mach 2.3. Miles then retarded the throttles to military power and the F-14D maintained supersonic cruise at Mach 1.1.
An idle speed lockup feature in the engine fuel control does not allow the pilot to drop below military power at this speed, to prevent a potential engine stall. The Navy, Grumman and General Electric are evaluating this feature to determme if it can be modified to allow the pilot to slow down faster.
Miles made a sharp turn and pulled gforces to slow the aircraft to a subsonic speed.
The Navy has achieved supercruise in a clean F-14D with a slightly uprated F110 engine, without the use of afterburner.

Victory103
February 4th, 2013, 19:27
evvatc, I have read that in one of my many references at one time, thanks for the refresh on the numbers. 1st checkflight complete, after reading Dino's blog on current issues and the status of each. The RIO pit was very cool to actually use, the TID was fun to do mock intercepts, although I had to PWR on/off to recycle the display. Great to see a purpose built HUD. Looking over some RW pics, is it me or do the drop tanks and IRST/TCS seem too small?

heavy
February 4th, 2013, 20:51
Still cant D/L! I give up. Google says the file is too big to scan. Whatever that means. Download anyway doesnt work! Sucks!

Odie
February 4th, 2013, 21:10
Awesome plane! must have many repaints

Hanimichal, any chance of a VF-213 Black Lions CAG bird?

skyhawka4m
February 4th, 2013, 23:05
fuel tanks are undersize

Dino Cattaneo
February 4th, 2013, 23:15
All, thanks for the appreciation.

As per the instructions in my blog, please, if possible if you have a bug to report, please go through the known issue list and if it is not there add a comment to the Beta 1 post - this makes bug tracking easier for me.

The F-14D Natops can be easily found by Googling for it. I am not attaching a direct link as I am not 100% sure the document is not classified as of today.
From the NATOPs it is clear than the F-14D can exceed Mach 2.0 in certain conditions, although operating speeds are lower and depending on the loadout. In many cases it is Mach 1.6.

Regards

Dino

fox18delta
February 5th, 2013, 00:14
Thanks Dino. Nice job. New Toms are always welcome in FSX and she's a beauty.
As for high mach; Few years back a Tom crew relayed thoughts from the top end of the flight envelope. One incident. failure of an inlet damper during a "lets see how fast we can go" brain cramp (inspired by a little extra gas ) at M1.5 that scared the s--t out of them ! Fortunately not much more than a scare, but it gave pause for thought on the ride home. What might happen should the Stability Augmentation System fail at high mach ? It was decided such a thing would might result in the airframe coming apart. A contract was made not to push that end of the envelope again unless operationally required. Lesson learned.

IanHenry
February 5th, 2013, 00:26
Many thanks for yet another superb aircraft Dino. I have just one observation to make, and that is that the reflection in the HUD makes it difficult to see the carrier clearly when landing in anything other than perfect visability.

Regards,
Ian.

Dino Cattaneo
February 5th, 2013, 00:40
Actually, there is a scary video on youtube of an F-14 (-A version I believe) which basically explodes after a high-speed pass nearby a carrier...

The Tomcat has been aa wonderfully complex and fascinating machine - but had its own share of problems... Still the best looking aircraft ever IMHO - but maybe it is because I grew up watching Top Gun :-)

Victory103
February 5th, 2013, 09:19
Dino, that was actually a D model from VF-31. On the bug list, like the drop tank size, do you want those kind of bugs listed on the blog? Do you have a suggestion box as well?

delta_lima
February 5th, 2013, 10:13
First, great model Dino! I'm more partial to the early model A/Bs, but your work is of such calibre that I had to give the beta a go.

Separate from the aforementioned issues, I just wanted to add

1) the canopy appears to have the pilot helmets' reflections painted it. It looks ok, but in external view, when the canopy is open you can still see the reflection of the pilots in the canopy, which looks really strange. Sorry - don't have a screenshot - if this doesn't make sense, I'll take one later.

2) the contrails appear to emmanate from about 2-3 feet outboard of the actual wing tip (in fully forward position) - don't know if the variable sweep coding causes problems, but at least, the contrail should not be much, if at all, outboard of the wing in the fully forward position.

It's looking superb, and looking forward to the next round - again, thanks for some truly epic work!

DL

Dino Cattaneo
February 5th, 2013, 12:29
@Victory103

Well, I check SOH quite often, but I'd prefer to have "one stop" for bug reporting...makes things much easier for me. Anyway, tanks have already been enlarged and bug is already on the blog.

@delta_lima
- reflection is painted on purpose for better (IMHO) rendering... but then of course if you open the canopy reflections are looking wrong....so it is a (questionable) design choice rather than a bug

- as for the wing contrails I'd probably do better to get rid of them...

Suggestions are welcome in any form.

@All the others, I had no time for individual replies, but the blog is updated with bug findings and fixes.

delta_lima
February 5th, 2013, 12:58
Thanks Dino.

I wondered if that was your objective. Certainly, when closed, they look great. It's a tradeoff, of uniqueness vs. broad appeal. Though I have a mild preference for it not being there, I'd never be a big issue for me - but others may feel different. No doublt, when the canopy is closed, it's a cool effect. If memory serves, the helmet painted on the reflection is of the 1980s HGU-34P variety, whereas the pilots appear to be wearing a more modern HGU-68 style. Just a small point, but if you want to include the reflection ... might tie together a bit more nicely.

Anyway - thanks for your commitment to the Tomcat - has to be nearly a decade a half of your 'Cats, if my math is right .... :) (since the FS98 models, in the late 90s ...)

DL

Dino Cattaneo
February 5th, 2013, 13:34
@Delta Lima - You are right about the helmet...I thought nobody would notice (same as the LAU-7 instead of LAU-138)... :-) Anyway, it is nice to know that someone still remembers my early F-14 efforts :-) !!!

Hanimichal
February 5th, 2013, 16:40
80523 80524 80525

Felixthreeone
February 5th, 2013, 17:34
Sweet!

Hanimichal
February 5th, 2013, 18:58
Very difficult to locate position of many details

Odie
February 6th, 2013, 05:54
Looking good sir! I see what you mean about the details....

DagR
February 6th, 2013, 08:40
Is there a set of layered psd files available for this aircraft, showing parts wireframes?

Best
DagR

Hanimichal
February 6th, 2013, 10:57
Looking good sir! I see what you mean about the details....

I can't finish this paint and am stopped here, only with layered psd, or other mapping layers I'll back

Odie
February 7th, 2013, 06:06
I can't finish this paint and am stopped here, only with layered psd, or other mapping layers I'll back

Hey Hanimichal, thanks for trying, sir, it's much appreciated....

Hanimichal
February 7th, 2013, 12:53
However,
I do not like unfinished work

Odie
February 7th, 2013, 13:00
However,
I do not like unfinished work

Outstanding! Looks great!

Felixthreeone
February 7th, 2013, 13:17
They look frickin' fantastic to me....can we have them? Please? Preeetty please?

Dino Cattaneo
February 7th, 2013, 13:31
Very nice work indeed!

AusWilko
February 7th, 2013, 13:43
Finaly back home and downloaded this, very very nice.

Hope for some good paints from our talented members.

Victory103
February 7th, 2013, 16:00
Hanimichal, outstanding job on these, request 2 other "D" squadrons, VF-2 and -31.

Dino Cattaneo
February 7th, 2013, 23:32
All, here is a post on my blog on F-14D repainting (Jiri has posted a VF-31 preview in the comments):

http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/repainting-f-14d.html

This was done in order to avoid duplicate the work on some schemes, although the more (versions) the better - IMHO.

For the moment I'd ask the repainters to wait for the final release before sharing their work - just to double check that there are no problems with the final version.
I am also looking to include some of the repaints in the base package.

lazarus
February 8th, 2013, 01:02

Just gorgeous, Dino; and really nice on FPS, too. She's a long way from the first T'Cat of yours I was flying in FS2002. I am going to have to look into some CAF paint for this one. We almost bought F-14s a couple of times. Still have some promo decals around from the '70's

Stickshaker
February 8th, 2013, 04:32
Hello Dino,
<o:p> </o:p>
This is easily the best Tomcat I’ve seen for FSX. Thank you so much for all your hard work. I have a question which I could not find information about on your blog: are you planning any variations in armament and if so, which? I can understand you may not want to do all variations, but a few would be nice.

Dino Cattaneo
February 8th, 2013, 04:45
Thanks for the appreciation.
As for the loadouts, I have not decided yet... I will first debug the current build and take a decision.

Stickshaker
February 8th, 2013, 05:51
That's clear, Dino, thanks for the information. Seems a prudent course to me.

heavy
February 8th, 2013, 14:31
Can someone please tell me how to download from Google drive? I know it's a crazy question but every time I click "download anyway" it does nothing! Is there something I need on my system, software or what?

H

AusWilko
February 8th, 2013, 14:44
Heavy, try a different program, ie chrome or firefox and see if that helps

peter12213
February 8th, 2013, 15:38
I'd go as far to say this si the best Jet we have for the sim at the moment, I can't get enought of it!

DagR
February 8th, 2013, 23:20
On my system the animation of the nozzle/throttle seems a bit odd. Throughout the cycle it's jerky and at about mil power it closes/opens many times. I have checked against other aircraft with visible nozzle animations and it's not there.
Apart from that, a superb aircraft :-)

Best
DagR

heavy
February 9th, 2013, 03:39
AusWilko, thank you fr pointing me in the right direction. I D/L'd Firefox and now I have the "D"! Thanks again!

H

AusWilko
February 9th, 2013, 04:39
AusWilko, thank you fr pointing me in the right direction. I D/L'd Firefox and now I have the "D"! Thanks again!

H

Very good, such a cool jet.. enjoy

fxsttcb
February 9th, 2013, 04:59
I've been loving this beauty since day one, Dino. :salute: Knowing you Sir, it will only get better! Thank You!

WIP to go along with the Team SDB "Big E"

Like Hanimichal was, I'm struggling to find all of the mapping for bits and pieces.

Hanimichal, I saw that you found the correct texture mapping for the fwd nose and tail top. Would you care to enlighten me? Thanks...Don

Hanimichal
February 9th, 2013, 06:30
I've been loving this beauty since day one, Dino. :salute: Knowing you Sir, it will only get better! Thank You!

WIP to go along with the Team SDB "Big E"

Like Hanimichal was, I'm struggling to find all of the mapping for bits and pieces.

Hanimichal, I saw that you found the correct texture mapping for the fwd nose and tail top. Would you care to enlighten me? Thanks...Don

Good paint

I have using this way to find all details 80718and now are in my head and can't explain

Updating VF-101 "Grim Reaper" 8071980720and continue working in

CG_1976
February 9th, 2013, 07:33

Just gorgeous, Dino; and really nice on FPS, too. She's a long way from the first T'Cat of yours I was flying in FS2002. I am going to have to look into some CAF paint for this one. We almost bought F-14s a couple of times. Still have some promo decals around from the '70's

Now a CAF paint would be very interesting. I'd be interested.

AusWilko
February 12th, 2013, 02:19
Dino has updated the model and done a nice hi viz retro paint for it.

Hanimichal
February 12th, 2013, 04:00
And the same paints still working in the update model without visible problem

80924 8092580926

Dino Cattaneo
February 12th, 2013, 04:14
@Hanimichal
Nice work indeed.

@All
Here is the "retro" scheme mentioned above. Afaik, very few F-14D had this kind of 70's-like retro livery... This one from VF-31, one from VF-2 and 164601 from VF-101 (which BTW is the plane from which the photos I used to make the cockpit come from).

Also, Jiri Soukup is working on VF-31 and VF-2 repaints... I've seen some previews of the VF-31 high-visibility liveries and they look really good!

Bruce Thompson
February 12th, 2013, 05:09
Thanks for the update Dino and the HiRes Textures, it looks great.:salute::ernae:

Dino Cattaneo
February 14th, 2013, 08:56

Another "retro" livery from my side (VF-101 "Grim Reapers" Last Demo)...

Odie
February 21st, 2013, 05:57
Looking good, Dino. Hope there are more of the retro schemes to come. Hope it's progressing well.

airattackimages
February 21st, 2013, 06:33
It's a beauty. A couple things...

Are we able to get manual wing sweep? If not, can the speed for the sweep be lowered? F-14s were able to be fully swept at much lower speeds than have to be attained with this model in the sim.

Not sure if the control surfaces are able to be dialed down, but the deflection of the elevons is way exaggerated for the amount of pitch being generated when in flight. Don't know if it can be adjusted for speed or not...

falcon409
February 21st, 2013, 07:09

Are we able to get manual wing sweep? If not, can the speed for the sweep be lowered? F-14s were able to be fully swept at much lower speeds than have to be attained with this model in the sim. . . . .
I did notice also that sitting on the ground. . .engines running, the sweep functions manually, but once in the air it's regulated by airspeed, however in order to get a full sweep I have to basically maintain the engines in AB, as soon as I begin to reduce the throttle setting, the wings begin to sweep forward again.

Addendum: After looking a bit deeper into the whole "Wing Sweep" question, it is the onboard computer that regulates Wing Sweep based on airspeed, although I couldn't find exactly what that implies (what degree of sweep for what airspeed). Dino's operates accordingly (manual override on the ground to fully swept for parking on Carrier Decks). My guess (like Dino isn't already saying to himself, Duh!!), lol. . .is that the wing sweep is what it should be in Dino's model. No further tweaks are needed. The F-14 was only fully swept (as much as I could discern) either at full AB or sitting on the Carrier Deck. The pilot could manually override the system if needed, but it wasn't the norm.

Mach3DS
February 21st, 2013, 07:19

Are we able to get manual wing sweep? If not, can the speed for the sweep be lowered? F-14s were able to be fully swept at much lower speeds than have to be attained with this model in the sim.

Not sure if the control surfaces are able to be dialed down, but the deflection of the elevons is way exaggerated for the amount of pitch being generated when in flight. Don't know if it can be adjusted for speed or not...

Agreed. Good call.

Dino Cattaneo
February 21st, 2013, 10:25
Well... as for the wing sweep the current implementation is designed to mimic of the "AUTO" mode of operation as per the NATOPs. In the real deal, the wing sweep is either "AUTO", "BOMB" (slightly different sweep logic) or the pilot can override the computer and sweep the wings manually. As far as I understand the flight manual the sweep speeds are correct. The oversweep mode is also implemented via the "wing fold" command. It was decided not to implement manual sweep to keep controls easy... but it would possible to toggle auto control on/off and control the wing sweep manually via the flaps control. Honestly it is not one of my priorities for the release... but I'll see what I can do.

Dino Cattaneo
February 21st, 2013, 10:27
Btw release date will be around the end of the month... still many things to fix, but I am making progress!

Mach3DS
February 21st, 2013, 10:51
I should have clarified....I was agreeing with the Elevons pitch exaggeration. I understand the wing sweep is working in Auto mode. Dino, your a master of the one man band!! I'm sure you'll put out a great product. :)

Dino Cattaneo
February 21st, 2013, 17:40
Il'll check the the taileron travel - but you may be right - it is probably slightly exaggerated...

Then....thanks for the appreciation, but I had a great help from many talented developers! Rob Barendregt provided the custom .XML, Jivko "Neutrino" Rusev provided the oustanding HUD, Serge "Fsxnavypilot" Luzin has provided the sound package and Jiri Soukup is providing several repaints (which have not been shown publicly so far... I am really impressed by his VF-2 rendition), Ken Simmons from Castle Air Museum who provided the cockpit pictures... Not to mention several other contibutions, including Hanimichal's repaints - BTW I have finished reworking VF-213...and looks like this (not a great screenshot):

Eoraptor1
February 21st, 2013, 18:37
Just chiming in to add a bit more appreciation. I've been in love with this plane since I was a little boy. Thanks for all the work. I also love the T-45C.

JAMES

Stickshaker
February 23rd, 2013, 04:36
Dino, you say you want to manually control wing sweep with the flap control. Would it be an idea to use prop pitch control for that? It works very well in the GKS F-111 and with the trim switch on the HOTAS Warthog. And it is continuous instead of integer (not limited to a fixed number of sweep positions).

Dino Cattaneo
February 23rd, 2013, 07:22
@Stickshaker

Control with of wing sweep with prop pitch has been considered during the initial design phase - but we (meaning I and Rob who took car of the wing sweep coding) decided not to pursue that and leave it to flap control, reason being that is it easier, in this way, to make so that the wing sweep has an actual impact on flight dynamics.

Stickshaker
February 23rd, 2013, 10:53
That is a very good reason, Dino!

Odie
February 24th, 2013, 11:05
When the "official" release of Dino's big Cat comes out, do we need to uninstall the beta prior to installing the official release?

rcbarend
February 24th, 2013, 16:32
That is a very good reason, Dino!
Hallo Hans :)

To elaborate a bit on the F14D wingsweep:

In FSX, there's really no "perfect" way to implement this.
First off, the visual implementation of the entire wingmodel (incl. wingsweep, wingfold, flaps, DLC, Airbrakes) is very complex by itself, because it has a lot of inherent dependancies between all functions of the wings.

By itself, having a seperated wingsweep and flaps control isn't the problem; the problem is to find an FSX function that simulates the actual changes in drag/lift in flightdynamics for wingsweep and DLC changes.
The best (actually ONLY) way for that is using the FSX Flaps function, unless the whole FDE of FSX is re-written. But to implement that accurately for an F14, is the squared complexity of the F35B STOVL function ..:)

The main limitation of using the FSX Flaps function, is that FSX only allows for max. 10, discrete positions.
Now, controlling wingsweep visually via a contiguous axis like PropPitch is very doable, but then you would miss the impact of wingsweep on flightdynamics.
In fact, many years ago I made a simular implementation for the old IRIS FS9 F14, in which you could use the PropPitch axis as contiguous Wingsweep control; however, flightdynamics-wise, the full range of the axis was still mapped onto 6 Flaps positions (i.e. the Proppitch axis controlled the first 6 flaps positions) , to obtain the needed drag/lift effect.
So the wingsweep visually appeared contiguous. But in terms of FDE-effect it still was step-wise, and coupled to Flaps ....

Hope this explanation makes any sense :)

Anyway, as requested by quite some beta-users, I now also implemented a manual control for wingsweep/flaps/DLC, so one can select for personal preference.
Meaning that you can control it manually (but still sequentially though).

Cheers,

Rob Barendregt

Stickshaker
February 25th, 2013, 10:28
Thanks for the explanation, Rob. All clear. And so many sweep positions are more than enough, at least for me since I will mostly use the automatic sweep.

Victory103
February 25th, 2013, 21:12
Thanks for the explanation, Rob. All clear. And so many sweep positions are more than enough, at least for me since I will mostly use the automatic sweep.

Any everyone else should as well, I can see the BOMB setting getting some use, but mainly the only reason I would want manual would be for the carrier break, which is fine now I'll just fly it faster than normal, aka more "smack". Looking back on cruise and several photos, I only found a few in the oversweep position on the boat, I never saw VF-103 do it even when packed on the fantail.

Dino Cattaneo
February 26th, 2013, 03:41
As per Rob's comment, in the final build there will be a manual mode, too.
By default the wing sweep will be AUTO, but clicking on the wingsweep control (on the throttle) will toggle the automatic mode on and off.
BOMB mode will not be implemented...

By the way, in the final version, you will need to pay attention to the engine operatin during negative G's maneuvers... In Italy we say "uomo avvisato, mezzo salvato" meaning loosely "a warned man is almost saved"....

I wish I will have the time to write a (much needed) manual... but most likely I will not.

rcbarend
February 26th, 2013, 04:40
I wish I will have the time to write a (much needed) manual... but most likely I will not.
Hi Dino,

If you don't have the time for a Manual yet, I suggest to at least copy the Comment text of my control gauge into a README text file.
That will answer a lot of questions to perceived "problems" :)

Cheers, Rob

Dino Cattaneo
February 26th, 2013, 07:17
I'll add some documentation to the package... but people will not read it anyway, so let's prepare to receive a flood of bug reports from people who will see their engines blowout while trying to buzz the Miramar tower in inverted flight... :-)

rcbarend
February 26th, 2013, 16:23
I'll add some documentation to the package... but people will not read it anyway, so let's prepare to receive a flood of bug reports from people who will see their engines blowout while trying to buzz the Miramar tower in inverted flight... :-)
I guess you're right on the reading ...:)

Gdavis101
February 26th, 2013, 22:12
Looking forward to it! :applause:

DaveQ
February 28th, 2013, 06:55
Got it the other day - not usually my bag but this is a fabulous freeware add-on. Many congratulations Dino and thanks!!

I just couldn't resist a bit of a play with the paint kit - a 'what-if' Tomcat of 801 Sqdn, Royal Naval Air Station Yeovilton.

DaveQ

airattackimages
March 4th, 2013, 10:32
As per Rob's comment, in the final build there will be a manual mode, too.
By default the wing sweep will be AUTO, but clicking on the wingsweep control (on the throttle) will toggle the automatic mode on and off.
BOMB mode will not be implemented...

By the way, in the final version, you will need to pay attention to the engine operatin during negative G's maneuvers... In Italy we say "uomo avvisato, mezzo salvato" meaning loosely "a warned man is almost saved"....

Excellent Dino thank you! Manual sweep will make my day!

CG_1976
March 4th, 2013, 10:37
Wonderful creativity DaveQ. I always love to get paints that are fictional or Semi and show what could have been:salute:.

DaveQ
March 4th, 2013, 14:12
Wonderful creativity DaveQ. I always love to get paints that are fictional or Semi and show what could have been:salute:.

Thanks CG; perhaps I should do a Canadian one!!

And Dino - can't wait for the official release!

DaveQ

Sindhu
March 5th, 2013, 10:23

CG_1976
March 5th, 2013, 10:46
Thanks CG; perhaps I should do a Canadian one!!

And Dino - can't wait for the official release!

DaveQ

Ah, a RCN F14 would hit the spot as I have a Carrier roaming around the Northern Passage, that is a taking a beating from the Kestral.

DennyA
March 5th, 2013, 10:58
Sidhu, that is indeed the ultimate F-14 paint scheme!

In the fantasy realm, I'd love to see what an F-14 would have looked like in Blue Angels colors...

FlameOut
March 10th, 2013, 18:38
:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

Looks like she is ready, I'll have to wait until later...that Goggle thing ..,

http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.com/2013/03/f-14d-tomcat-for-flight-simulator.html

Sindhu
March 10th, 2013, 20:18

Sindhu
March 10th, 2013, 20:21
Salute you,Sir, Mr.Cattaneo. :salute: Thank you very much for the great thing you've done.:applause:

skyhawka4m
March 10th, 2013, 21:21

airattackimages
March 10th, 2013, 22:31
Nice Black Lions color!