PDA

View Full Version : Gmax problems?

polecat0942
January 6th, 2009, 18:54
I am currently working my way through the gmax tutorials and am wondering. Is there a problem with the mirror and weld functions in gmax? Every time I use them, the results are no where near what is in the tutorial. Of course it can also be user error.

Cheers,

John

Milton Shupe
January 7th, 2009, 03:00
Great to see someone doing this John.

See the attached example. Instead of the Toolbar Mirror option, use the mirror modifier in the dropdown stack at the right.

Welding requires some basic criteria be met pretty simply.

1. Vertices must be of the same part. (If you wish to "marry" two parts, use the Attach tool, then weld the co-located vertices).
2. Vertices must be within the distance specified in the spinner next to the Weld Selected button in the rollout.

These criteria are well explained in the Gmax Help that you should have installed along with the tutorials.

I hope this helps.

polecat0942
January 7th, 2009, 17:32
As usual thanks a bundle Milton. Hope to get to the mapping portion of the tutorials soon so I can understand how to make that cal box for my project properly:woot::faint:.

Cheers,

John

hairyspin
January 10th, 2009, 08:41
FYI, the Mirror button on the toolbar is bugged - your model may look okay, but the mirrored bits don't export correctly to the sim. AFAIK they finish inside out! :faint: :banghead:

n4gix
January 10th, 2009, 10:22
Well, technically speaking the Mirror button on the upper toolbar is not "bugged." It does -in fact- create a "perfect mirror image" of a cloned part, including the normal's vector data...

...which of course is what you'd want if you were -in fact- creating a "mirrored image" for a scene you wished to render to a bitmap! :gossip:

The mirror modifier -which is what FS modelers should always use- creates an "imperfect mirror image" since it does not invert the normal's vector data... :ernae:
It is the "inverted normal vectors" that cause the parts to appear inside out in FS... :d

hairyspin
January 10th, 2009, 10:25
I stand corrected! :typing:

n4gix
January 11th, 2009, 10:52
I stand corrected! :typing:

Sit edjumakated rather, or summat like dat! :ernae: