PDA

View Full Version : Solomon 1943 V.2 FSX/P3D - open beta Feb 3

roger-wilco-66
February 1st, 2013, 15:58
Uploading now. May take a while, and it has to be checked first by the SOH staff.

Before installing, please read the instructions carefully. If you want to get the most out of it, some special FSX/P3D configuration is mandatory.

Please note: the main focus of this version is on the area of New Georgia (Munda, Seghi, Ondonga airfield) as well as Vella Lavella (Barakoma airfield). The other photoreal areas are the Florida Islands and Rabaul. All other airfields (e.g. on Guadalcanal) are still "old type" style, but it is planned to upgrade these to the same quality like Ondonga or Barakoma.

I keep a change list for the project. If you find any errors or have a special whish, please let me know.

Have fun,
Mark

MudMarine
February 1st, 2013, 16:09
SWEEEEEEET! YAAAAAAHHHH!

MudMarine
February 1st, 2013, 16:33
I did I forget to add.........FREAKING SWEEEET?!:jump::jump::jump::icon_lol: I guess not.

roger-wilco-66
February 1st, 2013, 16:36
:ernae: Marine!

TuFun
February 1st, 2013, 16:43
Excellent!!! Time to do some recon in the "BAD DUCK"!!!

Paul Domingue
February 1st, 2013, 16:46
I knew I should have waited. I had to reinstall FSX because of problems and not two hours ago I reinstalled V1. :isadizzy:

I'm hanging around so let us know when it's uploaded.

Waiting with baited breath (had some kippers)
Paul

roger-wilco-66
February 1st, 2013, 17:00
It's going to take a while... 58% is uploaded...
3am here, I'm going to hit the sack now...

Cheers,
Mark

TuFun
February 1st, 2013, 17:02
I still have v.1 installed... love the jungle scenery!

Sundog
February 1st, 2013, 17:03
Thanks Mark. :)

CrisGer
February 1st, 2013, 17:33
One of the most looked forward projects i have had the pleasure of waiting for in a long time. Congrats!

Will fly and report.

:medals::icon29::guinness:

roger-wilco-66
February 2nd, 2013, 00:28
Oh boy.
I should have waited. The upload got interrupted with a message:

The file(s) uploaded were too large to process.

The file is close to 900mb. Hmmmm. What to do? I'd like SOH to host it.

Cheers,
Mark

huub vink
February 2nd, 2013, 01:11
Mark,

Is it possible to cut it in several parts? As the scenery is nearly 1 Gig and I expect many downloads, it will consume quite a part of our annual bandwidth....

Although I really hate to say this, I don't know whether it is such a good idea to make the beta available and spend several Gigs on it and make the final scenery avalable later and again spend a hug chunk of the annual bandwidth on it....

Cheers,
Huub

warchild
February 2nd, 2013, 01:17
or perhaps upload it to your drop box public folder and simply paste the public link here????

roger-wilco-66
February 2nd, 2013, 01:22
Huub,

I don't want to cut it.
Releasing this as an open beta makes sense from my point of view because it helps me to draw a baseline for the scenery.
I'm afraid there will never be a real final version, because I keep working on it all the time. That's another reason for releasing it now.

I understand your concerns about bandwidth. Maybe I set up a page somewhere and offer to download it from there. Check Avon Brochure (https://www.ladysavings.com/publix-weekly-ad/?avon/) and Builders Warehouse Specials (https://www.ladysavings.com/publix-weekly-ad/?builders-warehouse/).

@pam: my dropbox is FULL :-)

Cheers,
Mark

huub vink
February 2nd, 2013, 01:30
Mark, I understand. As most people at the other side of the pond are still in bed (or should be :icon_lol:), I will leave a message for the guys running the servers. Hopefully they can sort something out.

Cheers,
Huub

warchild
February 2nd, 2013, 01:31
::LOL:: Copy that. I fully understand.. perhaps a second account???

roger-wilco-66
February 2nd, 2013, 01:37
Huub, I think it's best I upload it to a filehoster and make it available (already started) .
If you guys from SOH want to host the project we can move it to here and drop the external link.

@pam: oops our posting crossed. I did so with another filehoster a few minuts ago :-)

Cheers,
Mark

warchild
February 2nd, 2013, 01:43
:wiggle: :salute:

Crusader
February 2nd, 2013, 02:45
Mark , just ignore some of the impatient old men like myself . I want to thank you ahead of time for all the work you have put into this project . Version 1 was excellent so I could only imagine what Vers. 2 is going to be . From the start of this project to all the headaches now trying to get it released I'll say a very special thank you from all the members here at at SOH . (I'm not their spokes person but I'm sure they won't mind).

Rich:applause:

(now ,where did I put the Xanax so I can wait on this to download :icon_lol:)

roger-wilco-66
February 2nd, 2013, 03:44
Thanks for the kind words, Rich.

It's uploaded now. Get it here:

http://www.slingfile.com/file/3DDGfVIU0S

Hope it works!

Mark

warchild
February 2nd, 2013, 04:04
Thanks Mark. Downloading now..

MudMarine
February 2nd, 2013, 04:12
I don't understand the file name........? Which link to click?

Bruce Thompson
February 2nd, 2013, 04:19
Thank you Mark, downloading now, only two hours to wait.:icon_lol:

Crusader
February 2nd, 2013, 04:27
Thanks Mark. Downloading now..

Did you have to run the iLividSetup.exe first ? A little confusing trying to find a direct download button to push without being transfered somewhere else .

Thanks ,

Rich

huub vink
February 2nd, 2013, 04:31
Did you have to run the iLividSetup.exe first ? A little confusing trying to find a direct download button to push without being transfered somewhere else .

Thanks ,

Rich

No the actual download link is a bit lower on the page. When you don't have a premium account you will have to wait until the link appears.
It is a maze! But as iLivid owns the place 9 of 10 links lead to iLived!

Thank you Mark, downloading now, only two hours to wait.:icon_lol:

Only 2 hours? My counters tell me I need to wait (at least) 3 hours and when I see progress so far, it might be quite a while longer :icon_eek:

MudMarine
February 2nd, 2013, 04:31
Not working for me.........?

warchild
February 2nd, 2013, 04:32
::chuckles:: yeahhh, the got me with the " Sign in with Facebook" thing.. ::sigh:: i should do these things when ive gotten sleep but i really want this scenery..

Bruce Thompson
February 2nd, 2013, 04:37
No the actual download link is a bit lower on the page. When you don't have a premium account you will have to wait until the link appears.
It is a maze! But as iLivid owns the place 9 of 10 links lead to iLived!

Only 2 hours? My counters tell me I need to wait (at least) 3 hours and when I see progress so far, it might be quite a while longer :icon_eek:

Hi Huub,

Down to 1hr 39mins now says 15% DL so I think a lunch break is in order and maybe a:icon29:

roger-wilco-66
February 2nd, 2013, 04:39
Sorry, I didn't know that they make it such a hazzle to download this.

I had the idea to make a web page for the project where it is easier to offer the downloads. Maybe I'll do that!

Cheers,
Mark

Bruce Thompson
February 2nd, 2013, 04:59

I had the idea to make a web page for the project where it is easier to offer the downloads. Maybe I'll do that!

Cheers,
Mark

Hi Mark,

I am pleased to get it however long it takes so don't change things on my account.

Thanks again for all you hard work on this project.

Bruce.

Warhawk1130
February 2nd, 2013, 05:04

Cheers,
Mark

With your permission, I will upload this to the pendercrafts FTP when I get it downloaded. Pam, get ready for some cool solomon flights, lets fly this tonight.

roger-wilco-66
February 2nd, 2013, 05:07
With your permission, I will upload this to the pendercrafts FTP when I get it downloaded. Pam, get ready for some cool solomon flights, lets fly this tonight.

Thanks for the offer Warhawk.
Please fell fre to do so.

Mark

Warhawk1130
February 2nd, 2013, 05:13
I will upload it in a few hours and post the link...my FTP has unlimited bandwidth. and thank YOU for this wonderful scenery...been waiting for it since FS 2002 LOL.

falcon409
February 2nd, 2013, 05:17
Just went to your link RW and after a bit of figuring found the correct "Download" option and after a 20sec wait time, it has started. Of course it's only downloading at a rate of about 70kb/sec, lol, but at least it's running and by this afternoon, I should have it to start installing. I'm looking forward to the chance to fly this scenery...the others I have downloaded and installed are magnificent. Thanks!:salute:

dougal
February 2nd, 2013, 05:44
All I get from that link is that bloomin 'Livid' download manager.

falcon409
February 2nd, 2013, 06:04
Ok, well, the download seemed to start easily enough, but at only 70kb/sec. . .then after about 30min, dropped to 52kb/sec. . . .and now it just quit, lol. Really looking forward to the scenery, but I won't attempt it again through that site. I'll wait until something better can be worked out.:salute:

huub vink
February 2nd, 2013, 06:11

Cheers,
Mark

Not your fault Mark. These sites want to make a profit too :icon_lol: . And as Bruce already said, we don't complain as both your scenery and the opportunity to share it a given to us for free.

Cheers,
Huub

Warhawk1130
February 2nd, 2013, 06:37
Ok, well, the download seemed to start easily enough, but at only 70kb/sec. . .then after about 30min, dropped to 52kb/sec. . . .and now it just quit, lol. Really looking forward to the scenery, but I won't attempt it again through that site. I'll wait until something better can be worked out.:salute:

Look for my mirror link in about an hour.

warchild
February 2nd, 2013, 06:51

you got a date boss :)

gradyhappyg
February 2nd, 2013, 08:11
Perfect timing with a rare free couple of days with nothing on my to do list.
Thanks Mark can't wait.

Warhawk1130
February 2nd, 2013, 08:39
Beats the pants off the pale rider scenery...I love it Mark, hope you keep expanding on that theme in the pacific. kudos!

roger-wilco-66
February 2nd, 2013, 08:55
Maybe we can spread the load a bit until it is resolved where to host this finally.

I uploaded it to my website, but it can't reside there permanently because of bandwidth limitations.
I'm looking into creating a webpage now for my scenery projects and have to find a hoster for that.

Here we go:

http://mark-schimmer.de/downloads/Solomon-1943-V2.zip

Cheers,
Mark

Warhawk1130
February 2nd, 2013, 09:31
you may use mine as you wish...just tell me what you need.

robert41
February 2nd, 2013, 11:22
Thanks Mark. I will get this installed today and let the fun begin.
I downloaded from your site, it took 8 or 9 minutes.

Paul Domingue
February 2nd, 2013, 11:33
Mark, Outstanding!:medals:

I have just started expoloring. My computer is a low end 2.7 GHz but I'm getting a very enjoyable frame rate.

Ian Warren
February 2nd, 2013, 11:40
Thanks Mark :cool: very much looking forward to this :applause:

jojohnson9
February 2nd, 2013, 11:41
Downloaded fine. Read install instructions and had no problems. First flight over Kahili airfield, Bouganville and got a hell of a bunch of AA fire. Very, very impressive package. Definitely worth the wait. I'll add more inputs after additional flights....gotta find a friendly field to land.
Many thanks for the hard work.

roger-wilco-66
February 2nd, 2013, 12:03
Glad it works!
I was a bit worried that I may have missed something in the package. It has gotten quite complex.

@warhawk: thanks for the generous offer. I'll have to think about it.

Cheers,
Mark

CrisGer
February 2nd, 2013, 12:06
For installing be careful to read Mark's READ ME for installation carefully and back up the files that will be replaced in the World/texture folder of your FSX install and the detal1 texture from the texture folder. This is always a good idea with custom Global replacements. Also be sure to note the correct activation order for the six Add On folders and be sure to get the Elevation folder for the airfields located at the very bottom of your Add Ons list he gives us two good screen captures to help with this.

A remarkable project and setting a new Gold Standard for Historic Add Ons for FSX this is a wonderful example of what careful mod making can be.

Thanks so much Mark. :salute:

Crusader
February 2nd, 2013, 12:40
I have not ventured out into enemy territory yet . I can't seem to get out of Munda , it's outstanding . What a beautiful job on this package . I'm going to try a night flight in the Black Cat to see if I can draw some AAA .:icon_lol: Installation went very well . As someone else has already mentioned , just follow Mark's instructions closely and all will go well .

Thanks again Mark , an outstanding job ! :icon29::guinness:

Rich

Edit: I meant to post Munda (Which I don't think this is) but it does show some of the excellent scenery objects .

MudMarine
February 2nd, 2013, 12:55
Installed! All I can say is WOW, I've died and gone to the Solomon Islands 1943.....a dream come true! THANK YOU!!

jojohnson9
February 2nd, 2013, 12:55
Downloaded fine. Read install instructions and had no problems. First flight over Kahili airfield, Bouganville and got a hell of a bunch of AA fire. Very, very impressive package. Definitely worth the wait. I'll add more inputs after additional flights....gotta find a friendly field to land.
Many thanks for the hard work.

Just landed at Munda.....lots of different airplanes. Much friendly eye candy. Flew over a few spots with very heavy flak...they were pissed off. Now to change planes and fly on to Henderson Field. (After I feed the CO's (wife's) cat and dog.) This is FUN !!!:salute::salute::salute:

Crusader
February 2nd, 2013, 13:08
Just a few more , Now later on I'll see if I can get someone to shot at me at night .

Forgive the very mediocre screen shots . I've never been very good at it and mine don't do this beautiful scenery any justice . (I promise , I'm laying down my camera or "Deep Six it ":icon_lol:)

Rich

CrisGer
February 2nd, 2013, 13:15
It is truly amazing work that Mark has achieved solo....my stars...it is remarkable

my uncle flew with the Black Sheep from Barakoma and taking off from there just now in an beat up F4U behind what he used to call the Meat Grinder (the huge prop of those ugly old bent wing birds) was like hearing his stories come to life. It is am amazing work of mod making artistry ..these are with the default textures and have not switched on the custom vector made reefs yet...and still this scenery is a true work of art...

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/1570/solomonsshippinginthedi.jpg

note in the above picture there is active shipping using an add on mod that added ship traffic from the period.

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/7241/solomons5.jpg

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/6870/solomons3barakoma.jpg

http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/8056/solomons1.jpg

falcon409
February 2nd, 2013, 14:16
Just a few more , Now later on I'll see if I can get someone to shot at me at night .
Forgive the very mediocre screen shots. I've never been very good at it and mine don't do this beautiful scenery any justice. (I promise, I'm laying down my camera or "Deep Six it":icon_lol:)
Rich
Nothing wrong with your screenshots. . .they're in focus, give an excellent impression of the scenery, composed well and tell a story. The ones that look like the pixel setting was at it's lowest are the ones I wonder about. As long as you have antialiasing turned on (and why wouldn't you?), your screenshots should look just fine.

dougal
February 2nd, 2013, 14:26
Having downloaded and installed this, I'm only now beginning to comprehend the shear size of this undertaking. Thank you so much for allowing us access to this huuuuuuuge piece of artwork. It's a real treat and a change from all the usual FSX stuff. I'm very grateful.

CrisGer
February 2nd, 2013, 15:11
80293 80294 8029580296 8029880297

All Views of Barakoma and a take off roll and view of the Flight Lines and Camp ...amazing detail in the features, figures, vehicles, and camp set up, completely accurate as per photos I have from that era, and one final view, full size as I love the Naval aspect, this F4U found a small unit of the nearest Task Force being operated by the add on program for ships AICarriers...which allows you to run active AI shipping...amazing work here....so much more to see

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/2645/marinef4ualoftoveraflee.jpg

robert41
February 2nd, 2013, 17:24
I found an anomaly on Ondonga. Across from the control tower. A truck sitting in the air.

Warhawk1130
February 2nd, 2013, 17:28
Mark, do you know what this is? I am at Buka here.

TuFun
February 2nd, 2013, 17:41
Amazing scenery...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxTfkmnDkDs

robert41
February 2nd, 2013, 18:42
Around Rabaul.

Harbor.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n39/rm111/FSX/2013-2-2_20-58-32-609_zps6671aea8.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n39/rm111/FSX/2013-2-2_21-9-24-789_zps6d4809aa.jpg

A carrier with lots of AA.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n39/rm111/FSX/2013-2-2_20-44-48-879_zps1c220a29.jpg

Incorrect coastlines?
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n39/rm111/FSX/2013-2-2_21-20-49-675_zps19a7cef4.jpg

familton
February 2nd, 2013, 20:13

I went to Buka and never saw that. Bob.

fxsttcb
February 3rd, 2013, 03:54
Wow! I mean freakin', WOW!
From the little I've seen so far, I gotta say: Absotively, Posolutely, Incredible job, Mark. :applause: :icon29:

Off to get it installed in P3D...Don

Barakoma: First Take-Off and Landing. I was too busy swivel neckin' to hit the PrtScn key the rest of the time!

http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q756/fxsttcb/Solomons/Solomons2_zps3fa21c4a.png

http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q756/fxsttcb/Solomons/Solomons1_zpse9e1a9de.png

http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q756/fxsttcb/Solomons/Solomons3_zps1bf77c6f.png

Warhawk1130
February 3rd, 2013, 04:07
Mirror download....

http://pendercrafts.com/solomon194v2.zip

fxsttcb
February 3rd, 2013, 07:19
While installing it in P3D, I noticed one thing. Effects/Textures... I always install by copying the individual files into their proper location, to be sure I'm not overwriting anything.
Seeing as there were no conflicts with FSX, I copied the contents of "fsx-p3d-root-folder" directly into P3D. Merge = OK, with no conflicts.
I loaded up at Buka and instantly recognised huge black squares in the sky. When I went to P3D/Effects, I had two folders Texture and Textures.
Cutting the bitmaps from Textures and pasting to Texture fixed it. Simple fix, but, wanted to give you a Heads Up.

I am having a blast with this Mark. It is, by far, the finest freebie I have ever seen. :salute: Most of my payware is nowhere near this much fun. Thank You, a Thousand Times, Thank You...Don

roger-wilco-66
February 3rd, 2013, 07:23

That inverted cone was a dummy object I fabricated to locate certain objects I wanted to replace. It shouldn't be there and doesn't appear in my productive version.
I'll check that, maybe I forgot to delete it out of the dummy object library. For some reason your installation pulls it first (there is an other normal object with the same GUID).

@ robert: I'll check on the shorelines without land. Seems like there is an obsolete file in the scenery folder.

@Don: good practice, copying only the files. Sorry for the mistake, I'll correct that.

Glad you people like it! Thanks for all the kind words.
Tufun, that's a nice video!

Cheers,
Mark

Flyboy208
February 3rd, 2013, 10:12
Mark, I want to thank you for all of your hard work regarding this project ... absolutely outstanding job ! Mike :applause:

Sundog
February 3rd, 2013, 10:34
I have an installation question, as someone who uses a lot of Orbx products.

I'm not clear at the end about your warning regarding these add ons and yours. The way I read it is, if I just wrote over the existing coastline files with yours, without updating the terrain config, it would mess up the Orbx files. However, if I swap the files and update the terrain config it will be all right.

Or, we're you just saying it will mess up the Orbx files out right so don't do it? I'm just looking for clarification before I go messing with coastlines. Thanks.

robcap
February 3rd, 2013, 10:39
It's fantastic Mark.

regarding the texture numbering, I had the ORBX sceneries I bought already installed. Appearently the other texture items can be added at the end of the file.
Just a tip.

Cheers, Rob

roger-wilco-66
February 3rd, 2013, 10:50
The custom vector shorelines are just of the same kind that ORBX and others add. They are additions to the default scenery. When you insert them in your terrain.cfg you have to give them a new incremental number ( [Texture.xxx] ) and must update the texture counter.

[General]
DefaultTextureCount=xxx (--> last incremental taxture number + 1)

That's all. As long as you don't overwrite other entries nothing will miss. If you skip updating the counter the new entries won't show.
The only thing you have to watch for is that some sceneries don't append their custom stuff in the appropriate section of the terrain.cfg. The autogen definitions should be at the end of the file, the vector line textures above them. Some sceneries just append their new vector elements to the end. That can be confusing. It is a good advice to first check the texture counter so you know what number the last texture entry should be ( DefaultTextureCount minus one ), sort of as a plausibility check.

That's a bit confusing and a hazzle, I know. I dearly hope that Lockheed hears us developers (the issue has been brought up to them) and re-introduce the possibility of adding custom vector elements within the addon scenery folder, without having to edit the global terrain.cfg. That was a FS9 feature.

HTH
Mark

Sundog
February 3rd, 2013, 10:51
Thanks, I understand it now. :)

robert41
February 3rd, 2013, 11:08
A few more.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n39/rm111/FSX/2013-2-3_11-35-22-687_zpse81aacf3.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n39/rm111/FSX/2013-2-3_10-5-19-175_zps964c343e.jpg

"Hey Boyington"
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n39/rm111/FSX/2013-2-3_12-18-26-347_zpsb2c48876.jpg

FentiFlier1
February 3rd, 2013, 11:08
Mark deserves a medal :medals::salute::applause:

Nothing I can write here can do justice to the dedication that's gone into this historical scenery.

dvj
February 3rd, 2013, 13:41
Has anyone found the hut of the Australian coastwatcher Reg Evans on top Kolombagangara? I've orbited the volcano crater a dozens times and only see a small clearing on one ridge line. No hut however.

CrisGer
February 3rd, 2013, 13:47
Reg is probably hiding as i bet Mark told him there would be a LOT of strange planes around for a while.

:)

Glad to see your amazing work is being recognized for what it is Mark, one of the finest historical Add ons for any flight sim i have seen yet in my work. Well done!

roger-wilco-66
February 3rd, 2013, 14:03
Last time I checked he was there. After that me thinks I have replaced some objects in the library and now... he's gone. My bad.
The clearing is still visible. Even a row of sandbags.
I'll give him a new home up there. What a nice view from up there, by the way. I have to check how that looks on sunset.

I'll release a small service update in the next days, that fixes:

- the floating truck on ondonga
- the LCM that beaches backwards on Barakoma
- the stray shorelines near Rabaul and some yet unseen stuff around Green Island.

Warhawks huge cone on Buka airfield escapes me at the moment. I don't see it, and I don't see any cones in my object libraries. Anyone else with a huge red dummy cone sitting on its tip?
I'm at it.

Cheers,
Mark

fxsttcb
February 3rd, 2013, 15:09
"Hey Boyington""Look behind ya, Meatball"

http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q756/fxsttcb/Solomons/ImhereMeatball_zps26aa3050.png

robert41
February 3rd, 2013, 15:16
:icon_lol:

Looking forward to the updates Mark. Fantastic work you did. No cone at Buka on my install.

I installed the AI ship traffic from the previous version. Seems to work alright.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n39/rm111/FSX/2013-2-3_17-21-49-26_zpseb130b87.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n39/rm111/FSX/2013-2-3_17-37-31-227_zps1fed33d1.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n39/rm111/FSX/2013-2-3_17-37-40-261_zpsf1679ecc.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n39/rm111/FSX/2013-2-3_17-42-41-848_zps16a18171.jpg

MudMarine
February 3rd, 2013, 15:52
"Look behind ya, Meatball"

http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q756/fxsttcb/Solomons/ImhereMeatball_zps26aa3050.png

Hey Major Boyington, you forgot to release your drop tank!

familton
February 3rd, 2013, 19:34
I love the scenery but I wonder if I have a bad install somehow. I went to AGGF on Rwy 7 and it's off the runway and on a sloped
hill. Runway 25 end is OK.
Also the readme says:
AGGL is on 132.40 and it's on 122.90
AGGK is on 131.875 and it's on 122.90
AGSF is on 122.725 and it's on 122.90
AGRK is on 136.025 and it's on 122.90
AGGH is on 135.725 and it's on 118.10
AGBK is on 136.025 and it's on 122.90

Thanks, Bob.

falcon409
February 3rd, 2013, 20:22
Only thing I've run into thus far is that while I see massive explosions and tripleA I have no sounds. The scenery for Truk worked very well and the sounds were excellent but for some reason, I have no sound to any of the effects. Looking into it as I have time.

Flyboy208
February 3rd, 2013, 20:59
Screenshot time, this scenery is both vast and brilliant ! Flew in "The Slot" all day today ... Mike :salute:

Flyboy208
February 3rd, 2013, 21:02
More pix ...

Flyboy208
February 3rd, 2013, 21:04
Last three ... Mike :salute:

Daveroo
February 3rd, 2013, 23:01
"Look behind ya, Meatball"

what are you using to make the guns fire?...shells eject?....im getting jealous....the A-10 spewing 30mm destruction...now this.....please...what program(s)?

roger-wilco-66
February 3rd, 2013, 23:16
I love the scenery but I wonder if I have a bad install somehow. I went to AGGF on Rwy 7 and it's off the runway and on a sloped
Also the readme says:
AGGL is on 132.40 and it's on 122.90
AGGK is on 131.875 and it's on 122.90
AGSF is on 122.725 and it's on 122.90
AGRK is on 136.025 and it's on 122.90
AGGH is on 135.725 and it's on 118.10
AGBK is on 136.025 and it's on 122.90

Thanks, Bob.

I'll check that, thanks for noticing it, Bob.
The frequencies listed were taken from the original version of Solomon v1. The airfields in your list were extensively modified in the V2 version, but I don't remember touching the COM frequencies.
Maybe ADEX did reset them and I didn't notice it.

Anything you guys (and gals) point out will be addressed in the update work!

Cheers,
Mark

roger-wilco-66
February 3rd, 2013, 23:19
Only thing I've run into thus far is that while I see massive explosions and tripleA I have no sounds. The scenery for Truk worked very well and the sounds were excellent but for some reason, I have no sound to any of the effects. Looking into it as I have time.

The flak bursts definitely should be heard.
The AAA tracer fire doesn't have a sound linked to it (yet). I omitted that for performance reasons back then.

I put it on my list!

Cheers,
Mark

expat
February 4th, 2013, 02:03
what are you using to make the guns fire?...shells eject?

Yes, same question here. I can do that with the payware Hellcat (just pull the X52 stick trigger to get gun tracers and sounds), but never found it on the the A2A F4U. Is it an add on?

expat
February 4th, 2013, 02:12
Mark,

This is truly a momentous achievement! You should get the SOH Congreesional Medal of Honor for this conribution, at least. :medals:

Had to read your install instructions several times and carefully. I too had Orbx PNW entries in the middle of the config, so with careful counting I think I have a good install with shoreline textures as they should be. (Haven't visited PNW yet though . .).

I went to AGGF on Rwy 7 and it's off the runway and on a sloped

Only anomaly thus far is that starting a flight at Ondonga on the active runway placed the a/c offshore in the drink. However, my pre-existing B-24 AI came in for a landing aligned correctly on the runway. Interesting.

Looks fantastic with the sun bleached, worn paint on the Corsair!

Many thanks again for all your many hours of tireless work and perfection.

expat

fxsttcb
February 4th, 2013, 04:08
what are you using to make the guns fire?...shells eject?....im getting jealous....the A-10 spewing 30mm destruction...now this.....please...what program(s)?It's an effect that came with a plane some years ago.
Unfortunately, I don't remember which one or where. The effect's name I'm using is fx_Wing_Guns.fx. It uses the aircraft.cfg [Lights] section for placement and activation.
I did a search of my old FS/CFS installs and it also comes by the following names. They all have different creation dates, but, the effect itself is the same. The sound descriptions in these effects do differ, but, the visuals are identical.
102_Wing_Guns.fx
FS9_Wing_Guns.fx
FSX_Wing_Guns.fx
Wing_Guns.fx

Google might come up with a download that contains it. If you find one, if you want, PM me, and I'll help with installing it...Don

expat
February 4th, 2013, 04:13
Howdy, Don. Thanks for the steer. I should be able to figure it out with that information!

Regards,

expat

dvj
February 4th, 2013, 07:24
I stil get a lot of stutter even with an overclocked core i7 extreme at 4.5ghz and a GTX 680 graphics card. I've pulled down autogen and other sliders to smooth it out. There is very little animation other then smoke effects, so wondering why the fps hit compared to other sceneries.

On a positive note, it's a blast, and great for my WWII aircraft esp. Bad Duck! Such a huge area to fly around and lots to explore.

- I would love to see the ships moving and WWII AI aircraft as well. (from he who had a fps issue)

dvj

roger-wilco-66
February 4th, 2013, 07:35
Where excactly in the scenery do you experience that, DVJ?
On FSX or P3D?

I have a system inferior to yours (i7 @ 4GHz, Nvidia GTX 660) and don't see this anywhere, even under adverse conditions (clouds and rain).

As for ships, David Wilson Okomura made a nice AI traffic package for the Solomons (AVSIM et al).

Cheers,
Mark

Warhawk1130
February 4th, 2013, 08:29
Last time I checked he was there. After that me thinks I have replaced some objects in the library and now... he's gone. My bad.
The clearing is still visible. Even a row of sandbags.
I'll give him a new home up there. What a nice view from up there, by the way. I have to check how that looks on sunset.

I'll release a small service update in the next days, that fixes:

- the floating truck on ondonga
- the LCM that beaches backwards on Barakoma
- the stray shorelines near Rabaul and some yet unseen stuff around Green Island.

Warhawks huge cone on Buka airfield escapes me at the moment. I don't see it, and I don't see any cones in my object libraries. Anyone else with a huge red dummy cone sitting on its tip?
I'm at it.

Cheers,
Mark

My bad mark...its not in buka...its the first japanese occupied bases north of barakoma (first one ya come to) huge fire on one side of the channel...smaller one on the other...lotsa AAA shooting up from that area and ships burning and partially sunk....if I was home, I could tell you exactly which one. Sorry for the confusion

Stan V.
February 4th, 2013, 09:51
On FSX or P3D?

I have a system inferior to yours (i7 @ 4GHz, Nvidia GTX 660) and don't see this anywhere, even under adverse conditions (clouds and rain).

As for ships, David Wilson Okomura made a nice AI traffic package for the Solomons (AVSIM et al).

Cheers,
Mark

Mark,

Just tried to find Okomura's AI file at AVSIM and had no hits. Also, I tried fltsim.com with same result. Did you spell his name correctly?

Stan

EDIT: Actually, I discovered I have the file already (and David's name is actually David Scott Wilson-Okamura) Sorry for the false alarm.

CrisGer
February 4th, 2013, 12:08
Yes that has good ship traffic.. I was thinking it would be nice to have AI plane traffic between the bases.....transports and patrols..would sure add to the immersion and we could even have some bandit patrols too.

I am going to test with vehicles on the ground and ships at sea as well. So far looking good, FPS decent considering the detail..and no major texture breaks or significant objects placement errors other than those noted already to report yet.

on with the inspection tour.

fxsttcb
February 4th, 2013, 15:01
I have that traffic file set and it works without AI Carriers. To land on the Cabot, it's just a matter of finding it!
If you have the Traffic Toolbox installed, Traffic Explorer will allow you to see the "CID" for the ships. Select the "CID" number in Traffic Map and you'll get it's distance to you. You will have to visualize the bearing...Don

robert41
February 4th, 2013, 16:50
Yes this is David's 1.7 traffic package. Works without AI Carriers. Comes with maps showing the routes for both USN and IJN.

CrisGer
February 4th, 2013, 23:02
ah my mistake, sorry about that. glad to have it set right.

sure is a nice package for sure. I will correct my post.

dvj
February 5th, 2013, 02:10
On FSX or P3D?

Cheers,
Mark

FSX

Anywhere over the Solomon's where you have added scenery and objects I get a stutter. Once you move away from the islands, all is back to normal.
FPS are high, 30 to 60, but it's a stutter issue. And regardless of the aircraft sim. I don't get this with FTX products which are much more detailed and I typically run full sliders to the right with the exception of Autogen and water effects.

roger-wilco-66
February 5th, 2013, 03:14
FSX

Anywhere over the Solomon's where you have added scenery and objects I get a stutter. Once you move away from the islands, all is back to normal.
FPS are high, 30 to 60, but it's a stutter issue. And regardless of the aircraft sim. I don't get this with FTX products which are much more detailed and I typically run full sliders to the right with the exception of Autogen and water effects.

I've not noticed something like that yet, even when I ran it on my old system with a Intel Q6600 / NV GTX 460 a month ago, so it can't be a real performance issue.
Is this accompanied by hard disk accesses (LED blinking)?

Cheers,
Mark

roger-wilco-66
February 5th, 2013, 08:35
I'll release an update shortly that fixes all the issues that have been brought up so far.

Australian coastwatcher Reg Evans has a new home on Kolombangara now. He most likely didn't live that way, but maybe we can give him a bit more comfort in the sim :-)

Off to package the update now,
Mark

https://dl.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/BFsL7V2e4C/Solomon%201943%20Scenery/kolombangara-reg-evans-camp.jpg

warchild
February 5th, 2013, 08:41
theres a documentary called the Lost Fleet of Guadalcanal that i watched just last night that had either Mr Evans or a contemporary featured in it..

roger-wilco-66
February 5th, 2013, 09:09
Interesting!
In the screenshot above "he" is facing the Blacket Strait, by the way, between Arundel island and Kolombangara. That's where JFKs PT109 was hit and sunk.

And here's a bit of history on Arthur Reginald Evans, for those who are interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Reginald_Evans

Cheers,
Mark

roger-wilco-66
February 5th, 2013, 10:16
The update is here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/downloads/solomonislands/Solomon_1943_update_2013-02-05.zip

Installations instructions and changelog is included!

Cheers,
Mark

jankees
February 5th, 2013, 11:10
finally got round to installing the Solomons, and an outstanding scenery I must say! I can see I'll be busy for a while..

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/Belgie/ss4620.jpg

Flyboy208
February 5th, 2013, 21:13
So much to do, fly and explore ... especially for a Corsair enthusiast such as myself .... Some screens to share ... Mike :salute:

Flyboy208
February 5th, 2013, 21:16
Part 2

Flyboy208
February 5th, 2013, 21:18
Part 3

Francois
February 5th, 2013, 22:44
Just heard the news: MAJOR earth quake at the Solomons a few hours ago!! :-(

expat
February 6th, 2013, 01:55
So much to do, fly and explore ... especially for a Corsair enthusiast

So true! There are so many cool, historically accurate aircraft to consider flying: fighters, bombers, patrol, amphibians, etc. Then there are the warships and carrier ops. It's a real playground, plus beautiful settings everywhere.

Am also enjoying flying the RealFlight F6F and JF F4F. Re the A2A F4U, where can one find good repaints for this beast??

jankees
February 6th, 2013, 02:01
Re the A2A F4U, where can one find good repaints for this beast??

I'll leave the good or no good to others, but try here (http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=user_activity&search_app=downloads&mid=750).

expat
February 6th, 2013, 02:05
Thanks Jankees - I have and enjoy your great artwork!

expat
February 6th, 2013, 02:07
Getting a weird error message trying to access the Aussiex site with both IE and Chrome . .

expat
February 6th, 2013, 03:02
OK, seems to be working now.

tatankamani
February 6th, 2013, 10:12
Hi Mark,
I just want to say thank you very much for this beautiful scenery. It made me making a donation to sim-outhouse.
Bruno

roger-wilco-66
February 6th, 2013, 10:46
Hi Bruno,

thank you very much for your kind words and your contribution to SOH.

Best,
Mark

robert41
February 6th, 2013, 19:19
Thanks for the update Mark.

Flyboy208
February 6th, 2013, 19:52
A couple of RNZAF Corsairs over Bouganville, not historically accurate, I know ..... Mike :salute:

William Njurmi
February 6th, 2013, 22:42
Hello,

What an remarkable achievement!

I was going through appropriate planes for this scenario. Obviously most of you fly Corsairs and P-38s. I rolled out Catalina, Grumman Goose (?) and L-4, but did not find proper paint for C-47. Were they from Navy, Marines or AF? I could use default or Manfred Jahns C-47...

Osudog
February 7th, 2013, 05:35
The time looking forward to go for a test flight in my F4u ...thanks..... just got back into FSX lots to get up to speed on ....the Dog :running:

dvj
February 7th, 2013, 13:25
I've not noticed something like that yet, even when I ran it on my old system with a Intel Q6600 / NV GTX 460 a month ago, so it can't be a real performance issue.
Is this accompanied by hard disk accesses (LED blinking)?

Cheers,
Mark

Finally got time to go back and look at this. No, not HDD access timing. But I pulled all the sliders down to the mid point and it went away.

d

dvj
February 7th, 2013, 15:48
Finally got time to go back and look at this. No, not HDD access timing. But I pulled all the sliders down to the mid point and it went away.

d

I put the sliders back to full right, but set the frame rate limit to 32 fps. that seems to help.

sambt
February 7th, 2013, 16:19
I only have 14 airstrips showing up in the"select airport" box in FSX. I have re- downloaded and re-installed . same thing. HELP!!

Thanks

Sam

expat
February 8th, 2013, 04:25
Not sure I have any more than that in the beta.

CodyValkyrie
February 8th, 2013, 09:19
Argh. I can't wait until I have my computer built properly. Working with this old workhorse is killing me. I truly want to try this, and many other addons I have missed out on.

Bruce Thompson
February 8th, 2013, 09:36
I am really enjoying this scenery, thanks to all involved so far.:salute::salute::salute:

The aircraft I am using are the AF F4u Corsair, Paul's "Bad Duck" and the CAC Boomerang,
they all fit well with this scenery and also I have installed Captain Sim Weapons for FSX.

I will try and upload some photo's over the weekend.

Bruce

roger-wilco-66
February 11th, 2013, 13:39
@ Bruce: interesting note about the weapons pack. Does it work with the scenery?

A second update is out soon.
I'm reworking the Russell Islands (codename "Knucklehead") now with making all airfields photoreal and started with the Pavuvu Cub strip as it was in 1943. Bob Hope had one of his shows here and flew in with a L-4.
There's not much else that can land on this short and a bit dangerous dirt strip than a L-4. Ideal terrain for Mike's version of it.

Ahh, by the way, the latest download links for the scenery are in my signature!

https://dl.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/spFo8Xd9Ow/Solomon%201943%20Scenery/pavuvu-cub-strip.jpg?token_hash=AAFEUcZgd3Ow1k90OqcXtSnADSles 9CKxCocJq5OXuBWGA

https://dl.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/1n1aEWPJsJ/Solomon%201943%20Scenery/pavuvu-cub-strip3.jpg?token_hash=AAFEUcZgd3Ow1k90OqcXtSnADSle s9CKxCocJq5OXuBWGA

warchild
February 11th, 2013, 14:07
simply outstanding Mark.. thank you :) :)

Bruce Thompson
February 11th, 2013, 14:16
[QUOTE=roger-wilco-66;783001]@ Bruce: interesting note about the weapons pack. Does it work with the scenery?

Hi roger-wilco-66,

Have tried guns and rockets so far, they rockets explode when they hit the ground scenery
or anything else but you won't see ships or boats sinking as a result. The guns are the same,
you can see splashes in the water or impact on land. I think you will be able to shoot down
A1 aircraft with guns, rockets as you can in default FSX.

I will try a few more flights and let you know how it goes.

robert41
February 11th, 2013, 16:46
Great. Thanks Mark.

lazarus
February 11th, 2013, 22:26
Wow! Astounding Mark

roger-wilco-66
February 12th, 2013, 01:54
[QUOTE=roger-wilco-66;783001]@ Bruce: interesting note about the weapons pack. Does it work with the scenery?

Hi roger-wilco-66,

Have tried guns and rockets so far, they rockets explode when they hit the ground scenery
or anything else but you won't see ships or boats sinking as a result. The guns are the same,
you can see splashes in the water or impact on land. I think you will be able to shoot down
A1 aircraft with guns, rockets as you can in default FSX.

I will try a few more flights and let you know how it goes.

I think I'll have a look into that. Sounds interesting. Can you see land scenery objects explode when you hit them, like houses or vehicles? Does CS-WP have dumb bombs and torpedos?
Technically, static scenery like ships or others could be difficult to alter in sceneries, because the weapon application must change the scenery on the fly. In order to show weapon effects on scenery objects they must be exchanged. That's why many of the scenery objects in Solomon 1943 have damaged counterparts in the libraries. I left that possibility open for future developments.

AI is something else, another layer in the system and dynamic by nature.

Interesting question, though.

Cheers,
Mark

Bruce Thompson
February 12th, 2013, 02:07
[QUOTE=Bruce Thompson;783010]

I think I'll have a look into that. Sounds interesting. Can you see land scenery objects explode when you hit them, like houses or vehicles? Does CS-WP have dump bombs and torpedos?
Technically, static scenery like ships or others could be difficult to alter in sceneries, because the weapon application must change the scenery on the fly. In order to show weapon effects on scenery objects they must be exchanged. That's why many of the scenery objects in Solomon 1943 have damaged counterparts in the libraries. I left that possibility open for future developments.

AI is something else, another layer in the system and dynamic by nature.

Interesting question, though.

Cheers,
Mark

Mark you see the explosion but buildings and scenery are not affected. A1 aircraft explode and vanish which looks great.

Bruce.

sambt
February 12th, 2013, 07:20
Mark, love your scenery and thanks for your work in putting this together I am still not able to access all the 1943 Solomon airfields in "select airport" box in FSX. Never had this problem in V.1. Seems like 1st half of your airport list is not showing up in box eg. Munda, Henderson, Rennell, Segi, Buka, Ballale etc. Even typing in airport name or ID does not work.

Any ideas any one?

Thanks

Sam

familton
February 12th, 2013, 08:09
Mark, love your scenery and thanks for your work in putting this together I am still not able to access all the 1943 Solomon airfields in "select airport" box in FSX. Never had this problem in V.1. Seems like 1st half of your airport list is not showing up in box eg. Munda, Henderson, Rennell, Segi, Buka, Ballale etc. Even typing in airport name or ID does not work.

Any ideas any one?

Thanks

Sam
They all show up for me in the select airport list:
Munda - AGGM
Henderson - AGGH
Rennell - AGGR
Seghe - AGGS
Buka - AYBK
Ballale - AGGE

You must have something wrong on your install. Best regards, Bob.

roger-wilco-66
February 12th, 2013, 08:37
Hi,

I checked and they are all there. Note: all Airports with the "State/Province" entry "Solomon 1943" are additions to the default scenery. Not all airfields in the list are visible in the scenery. If they were not active in 1943, I made them dissapear. A complete list is in the projects documentation.

Cheers,
Mark

https://dl.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/cJkADOlEYX/Solomon%201943%20Scenery/solomon-airports.jpg?token_hash=AAFEUcZgd3Ow1k90OqcXtSnADS les9CKxCocJq5OXuBWGA

warchild
February 12th, 2013, 10:00
hey mark??
Somewhere down the road, could you add some sea ports like at Hull island?? Or, can someone?? Would be nice to have my boat in the water instead of skewing.. :)..
Thanks..
Pam

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/urushira/th_2013-2-12_10-29-55-197_zps2470a0ad.png (http://s88.beta.photobucket.com/user/urushira/media/2013-2-12_10-29-55-197_zps2470a0ad.png.html)

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/urushira/th_2013-2-12_9-37-42-721_zps5a48b419.png (http://s88.beta.photobucket.com/user/urushira/media/2013-2-12_9-37-42-721_zps5a48b419.png.html)

roger-wilco-66
February 12th, 2013, 10:36
Hull Island, is this at Kiribati?

I could, but it would have to wait until the Russell airfields are done.

Cheers,
Mark

Odie
February 12th, 2013, 10:41
hey mark??
Somewhere down the road, could you add some sea ports like at Hull island?? Or, can someone?? Would be nice to have my boat in the water instead of skewing.. :)..
Thanks..
Pam

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/urushira/th_2013-2-12_10-29-55-197_zps2470a0ad.png (http://s88.beta.photobucket.com/user/urushira/media/2013-2-12_10-29-55-197_zps2470a0ad.png.html)

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/urushira/th_2013-2-12_9-37-42-721_zps5a48b419.png (http://s88.beta.photobucket.com/user/urushira/media/2013-2-12_9-37-42-721_zps5a48b419.png.html)

How do like the boat, Pam? I'm teetering on the edge of getting it.

warchild
February 12th, 2013, 12:00
How do like the boat, Pam? I'm teetering on the edge of getting it.

Welll, i'm really biased. You see, JFK was the only real life hero i ever had, so i'm kinda soft on pt boats if ya know what i mean ( would date one if it had legs ).
the visual model is outstanding. i couldnt be more pleased.. the dynamics are immature and well, kinda weird, but, i'm already working on it.. needless to say, boats dont fly so theres a learning curve, but the stuff that needs fixing isnt too great at all.. if your interested go ahead and download it because i'm not climbing out of this thing for some time. Its awesome and a lot of fun.. I should have everything fixed up within a couple days ( i'm impatient ::lol:: ).

@Mark..
Hull island is located bout half a mile north-west of rendova island in the solomons. it was the base for a PT squadron, and home to the PT-109. :)

roger-wilco-66
February 12th, 2013, 12:36
@ Pam: Ah, I didn't know it was called Hull Island. As far as I know the Navy PT boat base at Rendova harbour was called "Todd City". I made a small PT Boat base there in the scenery, but it looks fictional due to the lack of photo reference.

I would make an accurate photoreal scenery for it if I had any photos how it looked like back then. If anyone has some, let me know!

That PT boat from Deltasim is great. Makes you look at the scenery from a whole new perspective, and it's a blast do drive!

Cheers,
Mark

warchild
February 12th, 2013, 15:51
i honestly dont remember seeing where it was called hull island, but it stuck in my head for some unexplainable reason. todd city was definitely the bases name though.. Would be great having it in fsx :).. no hurry though.. I have an airfield on the south side of rendova and can slew into the lagoon for now :)

I'm loving that boat, and the experience of seeing the scenery up close.. it has a few issues on my machine, but nothing insurmountable.. and its hella fun to drive..

Let me get to looking up some photo reference for you :0

warchild
February 12th, 2013, 17:43
i thought perhaps youd like to see your own work from another perspective.. beautiful work.. i'd like to live here..

Yee hahh...

Francois
February 12th, 2013, 22:46
Awesome ! :-)

TerryW
February 13th, 2013, 00:53
Pam, I think I found the area that you are interested in having a water start point, and made a simple AFCAD which will start you in the centre of the channel. Although it's an AFCAD2 (FS9), I have made start points in Halifax Harbour, Ramsey Lake, Sudbury, the Manicouagan Crater and in "The Slot" using the program. I use FSX Accel though, so not sure about P3D. Anyways, if you'd like a copy, just send me your email addy in a pm, and I'll get it to you.

All the best,
Terry

warchild
February 13th, 2013, 04:55
@Terry
Your awesome. I spent all day and most of yesterday and last night driving around the slot and was amazed at how far it was from Rendova. I thought I'd visit all of Marks scenery areas by boat ::lol:;. Even taking the shortcut around Gizzo it took a couple hours just to get to the slot. It would have taken a lot longer though if i had to go around the bottom of New Georgia island. The place looks so small on a map, but really its huge. the slot is easily as big as lake michigan and could be a sea itself.
the channel around Gizzo is narrow and gets even smaller at the air base. its in a naturally defence-able location that would have been hell to overthrow. in fact, the more time i spend down on the water, the more i come to appreciate what the soldiers who fought there on either side, had to go through. And it helps me to appreciate the huge challenge this must be for Mark as well.. Honiara is 385 miles south east of rendova. I didnt even make it to bouganville.
Since i'm using the P3D mesh in fsx with the solomons meshes laid on top, not everything lines up quite right, but its still beautiful..
I discovered that the engines thought they were turbo props and i had to go and try and convince them they were really Packard Allison engines. So now they're throwing a tantrum and dont want to start. I'll get them running though.. probably forgot to replace the jet A with avgas..

dougal
February 13th, 2013, 05:11
@Terry
Your awesome. I spent all day and most of yesterday and last night driving around the slot and was amazed at how far it was from Rendova. I thought I'd visit all of Marks scenery areas by boat ::lol:;. Even taking the shortcut around Gizzo it took a couple hours just to get to the slot. It would have taken a lot longer though if i had to go around the bottom of New Georgia island. The place looks so small on a map, but really its huge. the slot is easily as big as lake michigan and could be a sea itself.
the channel around Gizzo is narrow and gets even smaller at the air base. its in a naturally defence-able location that would have been hell to overthrow. in fact, the more time i spend down on the water, the more i come to appreciate what the soldiers who fought there on either side, had to go through. And it helps me to appreciate the huge challenge this must be for Mark as well.. Honiara is 385 miles south east of rendova. I didnt even make it to bouganville.
Since i'm using the P3D mesh in fsx with the solomons meshes laid on top, not everything lines up quite right, but its still beautiful..
I discovered that the engines thought they were turbo props and i had to go and try and convince them they were really Packard Allison engines. So now they're throwing a tantrum and dont want to start. I'll get them running though.. probably forgot to replace the jet A with avgas..

Hey Pam, I once owned and lived aboard, for some years, the UK version of your famed and beautiful PT boats;-) She was what we often refer to as an MTB or motor torbedo boat during the final years of the war. She was also used by the British Coastal Command too. Sadly, the beautiful Rolls Royce engines had been removed and replaced by thumping great diesels. You'd have loved it!!!

warchild
February 13th, 2013, 05:28
Even with thumping great diesels in there i'd still love it. MTBs had a style and personality all their own and the cantankerousness of those diesels would give it an almost endearing nature.. Sounds like what you had was a home, which is so much more special than a boat :) :) ..

warchild
February 13th, 2013, 14:24
I gotta admit. i wasnt expecting this at bouganville. took me by surprise and gave me a bit of a start. I took pictures when i could. it got pretty intense.. Love it :)..

dvj
February 13th, 2013, 16:40

warchild
February 13th, 2013, 17:07
ooooo McHale!!! :) :) :) .. loved that show.. movie kinda sucked though..

@Odie
Well, now i can honestly answer your question about the boat.. I've spent the last 20 out of 28 hours driving it around the solomons and up the mekong to Phnom Pehn. I made some changes to the fde so it goes faster than 35 and pretty much stays on course when you put it there and turns whenyou want it too regardless of the speed. I'm loving this thing.. Marks scenery simply adds more too it as you get down and personal with it. Even if mark hadnt done the solomons it would still be worth it. i'd take it up the yankzee and down the danube and well, everywhere.. and i intend too :)..

warchild
February 13th, 2013, 18:24
by the way.. its kinda funny you should mention McHales navy...
::LOL::

stovall
February 14th, 2013, 06:39
Pam, you want some real fun, launch this baby at Chi Chi Jima and torpedo a few Japanese warships. This is a great area for the DeltaSim torpedo boat. After finishing up with Chi Chi Jima I purchased this great addon and have enjoyed her ever since.

warchild
February 14th, 2013, 08:36
Thats a good idea Tom.. I had been considering doing a full photo catalogue of all of the south pacific scenery as seen from the water.. but then i started thinking that maybe the folks here might be getting sick of my pt boat shenanigans. the view from the water is so very different than in the air, and also, sometimes like with Bouganville, it throws a few happy surprises your way like shelling your butt all the way out to the sea.. Chi chi, Iwo, tinian, the solomons.. all of em. they'll make for a great many days of cruising around snapping photo's, but i do worry i'll drive people nuts and get them all pissed off at me for spamming the forum with a boat..

As for the boat itself, i'm lovibng the damned thing.. I didnt at first though. At first, every time i got to 35 knots something would grab it and yank it back to 30 knots. Top speed on a normal factory fresh pt boat was 47 knots for the 70 footers and 41 knots for the 80 footers, but, with allison/packards well wishes just like on the P-40s, the mechanics did what young mechanics have done since pre-history and fiddled till they had some very powerful engines in them. unfortunately, no records were kept of which the fastest boat was, but we know they did race each other.
I created a modification of the flight model that allows acceleration up too and slightly beyond 47 knots and gives you a turn radius of 1.5 boat lengths at dead slow and 0.25 to 0.5 mile at flank speed.. If your experiencing poor performance like I was let me know and i'll shoot you the updated flight model..
Oh, Also, I've created the pt-73 paint and am working on creating that very light sea green pain more favored by the museums today. too the best of my understanding though, most pacific based pt squadrons were a light to medium grey depending on the amount of dirt built up on them..

Odie
February 14th, 2013, 09:22
ooooo McHale!!! :) :) :) .. loved that show.. movie kinda sucked though..

@Odie
Well, now i can honestly answer your question about the boat.. I've spent the last 20 out of 28 hours driving it around the solomons and up the mekong to Phnom Pehn. I made some changes to the fde so it goes faster than 35 and pretty much stays on course when you put it there and turns whenyou want it too regardless of the speed. I'm loving this thing.. Marks scenery simply adds more too it as you get down and personal with it. Even if mark hadnt done the solomons it would still be worth it. i'd take it up the yankzee and down the danube and well, everywhere.. and i intend too :)..

Thanks Pam! I'll grab it tonight. Woo-hoo!

warchild
February 14th, 2013, 10:27
::LOL:: i'm simply gonna have to upload these FDE updates to the server here so everyone can enjoy them. All i ask is that people back up their original flight model files before installing mine, and let me know of anything you find odd or not working. there are quite a few things in the model that i cant actually change and other things that seems to work in reverse of the way they do on aircraft ( bigger rudders cause slower turn response? Smaller propellers cause the boat to go way too fast?? weird ) but mostly i have the boat handling fairly well on my machine, planing nicely according to the numbers if not visuals, and moving at what i would expect a nicely loved and depended on for getting your butt outta trouble PT boat would move like..
What it lacks??
the rudders on a PT boat were placed directly behind the propellers. this allowed them to vector the thrust left or right. we dont have that in this boat. I'd have to take the gauge from the sukhoi and somehow turn it on its side, and i dont know how to do that.. but it would make for far more accurate handling characteristics..

stovall
February 14th, 2013, 13:15
Thanks for the chance to check out the file Pam. I feel the Delta Sim PT is a bit sluggish as well and look forward to your improvements. I will be check for the upload.

Bruce Thompson
February 14th, 2013, 13:24
::LOL:: i'm simply gonna have to upload these FDE updates to the server here so everyone can enjoy them. All i ask is that people back up their original flight model files before installing mine, and let me know of anything you find odd or not working. there are quite a few things in the model that i cant actually change and other things that seems to work in reverse of the way they do on aircraft ( bigger rudders cause slower turn response? Smaller propellers cause the boat to go way too fast?? weird ) but mostly i have the boat handling fairly well on my machine, planing nicely according to the numbers if not visuals, and moving at what i would expect a nicely loved and depended on for getting your butt outta trouble PT boat would move like..
What it lacks??
the rudders on a PT boat were placed directly behind the propellers. this allowed them to vector the thrust left or right. we dont have that in this boat. I'd have to take the gauge from the sukhoi and somehow turn it on its side, and i dont know how to do that.. but it would make for far more accurate handling characteristics..

I look forward to your new FDE updates Pam, I love the PT Boat and you are right it is a bit sluggish any improvement would be great,

Hope we can see a PT109 paint also.

Best regards

Bruce.

warchild
February 14th, 2013, 17:09
I've uploaded the file to the archive here. You can find it on the bottom of the page at http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=114&sort=h&page=2&pp=20

Since this has not been tested on any macine other than mine, please give me critical feedback as it will help me make it better. Please also keep in mind that this is a modification of the original files and not a new flight model. The way deltaSim created the files precludes making an original replacement. Should you have questions, please by all means, ask and i will do my very best to answer them..
I sincerely hope you enjoy this flight model and the Deltasim pt boat. Do not forget to back up your original files before installing this mod..
Thanks
pam

warchild
February 14th, 2013, 18:44
I look forward to your new FDE updates Pam, I love the PT Boat and you are right it is a bit sluggish any improvement would be great,

Hope we can see a PT109 paint also.

Best regards

Bruce.

I'm gonna have to work on the 109.. It was a 1942 -1943 vintage boat which means it didnt have the rocket launchers, bofors, or 40MM on it as those were typical late war european additions to help take out Q boats and other shallow draft craft. If i remember correctly, there was even a version with a 105 mm howitzer on it.. But i digress..
The 109 is an icon and one of America's greatest icons as it was driven by another of America's greatest icons John Kennedy. I'd love to do that boat, but i really wish we had an exact model of it to build on :)..
Pam

warchild
February 14th, 2013, 18:48
@tom..
Checked out your chi chi jima today. Wow thats intense.. Actually "finally" was able to get a torpedo on target too :).. guess it was just luck as my next shot sank a truck.. Beautiful job on the scenery. i really enjoyed it :)..

stovall
February 14th, 2013, 19:03
If you enjoyed that one Pam, the next one would be Truk 1945. There are lots of of Japanese Ships in that scenery. There are several effects at Truk that are fun. Enjoy.

robert41
February 14th, 2013, 19:07
Iam going to have to get me that PT Boat one of these days. Crusing around these Pacific islands in a float plane is fun, but a PT Boat would fit in better.
Here is a link showing the engines for the boats. http://www.pt-boat.com/packard/packard.html

warchild
February 14th, 2013, 19:25
thanks for sharing that link. Thats an awesome page.. hard to believe he's built a model of the engine using laser cut silicon steel.. Amazing stuff that guys up too..
heres whats confusing to me ( and probably a lot of other people too ).. Packard built the Engines for the pt boats. They also owned Allison which made the same engine ( or close too it 0 for the p-40s and early p-51s, and were later licensed by Rolls Royce to build ( ta-daaaa ) the Merlin. We know that the merlin is special.. no questions there, but whats the difference between the packard v-12s and the allison v-12s since they're made by the same company??
i gets confused..

warchild
February 14th, 2013, 19:32
If you enjoyed that one Pam, the next one would be Truk 1945. There are lots of of Japanese Ships in that scenery. There are several effects at Truk that are fun. Enjoy.

ya know, those effects and the way you scenery folks manage them in a scene is what makes everything so special. its one thing when your in an aircraft and watching it all from above, but down close and dirty it really comes to life. having the smoke, the fire the tracers and all those explosions at bouganvile actually for a brief moment, put me in the middle of the nightmare ive been having for the last fourty years. I figured it out quick, took a deep breath, shugged it off and went back and had a great time, but for just a few seconds, it was quite intense.. I love what you guys do.. if it can do that to me, its special.. Keep up the great work :)..

robert41
February 14th, 2013, 20:10
Three different engines.
If I understand correctly,
The Packard PT Boat engine(s) was developed from the Liberty V12 engine.
The Allison 1710 V12, was not any part of Packard. Allison was owned by General Motors at the time.
The Merlin was a British RR engine, produced under licensed by Packard here in the US.

strikehawk
February 14th, 2013, 21:16
Well, I broke down and got the PT boat this evening and took it for a shakedown. Looks like I'll be playing with the CS Weapons addon to see if I can get at least one set of fifties installed. After that I'll need to give it a good coat of haze grey without any hull numbers and maybe change the flag. Now if only I can get it to hit a ramp fast enough to get it airborne so I can use the torps on a Hind. Warchild will know what I mean the rest of you will have to figure out the reference:icon_lol:

Here's a hint; the fictional harbor city of Roanapur

warchild
February 14th, 2013, 22:17
:::LOL:; Of course i get the reference.. I aint sayin nothing though.. bet a few others know it too..
I have determined that the boat will cross a narrow sandbar of ten to twenty feet with some effort, so there may be a possibility it can be lofted as well, though thats not the first thing id think of doing with a thirty ton vessel :;lol:;..

It comes with a save file and i think a mission file, so perhaps the guns can function, but i've never done anything with missions and really dont know..

warchild
February 15th, 2013, 06:54
ok, bear with me folks. I found a couple small issues with my update that will require immediate attention.. I should have this done in a few hours..

@ mark. Please forgive me for taking up so much room in your thread. i'll move it to a new thread. i promise..

Bruce Thompson
February 15th, 2013, 09:22
ok, bear with me folks. I found a couple small issues with my update that will require immediate attention.. I should have this done in a few hours..

@ mark. Please forgive me for taking up so much room in your thread. i'll move it to a new thread. i promise..

Hi Pam,

Tried your new FDE and the PT Boat's handling is greatly improved, but and it's only a small but it appears to be a little nose heavy.

Regards Bruce.

warchild
February 15th, 2013, 11:02
yup.. have been working on that and other things since 5:30 this morning.. ::LOL: my eyeballs are burning like mad..
Since changing out the engines results in very bad things happening, ive been working on the power curve for whats in there.. however, just as when the boat reached 37 knots previously when it pulle3d the nose down and slowed to 20, i'm now seeing the same behaviour at 47 knots and pulling the speed down to 30.
ive written the author to glean his strategy for creating the model, but there are language and social barriers to overcome. In a nutshell, he did a few unorthodox things to make the boat perform the way it does when purchased, and has offered little in the way of encouragement for making this boat real. However, neither has he asked that i cease and desist..
As it stands right now, the maximum rpm on the engine is 2400 rpm. the propellers are each 2.35 feet in diameter and blade pitch angle is up too 28.5 degrees ( he used constant speed props to help with reversing ).. it sits level at idle and planes nicely at top speed..
I'll keep working on it and hopefully have my way past this speed problem figured out soon..
OH, by the way. I came across all the original frame by frame specifications for the boat and have been using those as well. Handling is much improved even over what you have now.. :)..
Pam

Bruce Thompson
February 15th, 2013, 11:36
yup.. have been working on that and other things since 5:30 this morning.. ::LOL: my eyeballs are burning like mad..
Since changing out the engines results in very bad things happening, ive been working on the power curve for whats in there.. however, just as when the boat reached 37 knots previously when it pulle3d the nose down and slowed to 20, i'm now seeing the same behaviour at 47 knots and pulling the speed down to 30.
ive written the author to glean his strategy for creating the model, but there are language and social barriers to overcome. In a nutshell, he did a few unorthodox things to make the boat perform the way it does when purchased, and has offered little in the way of encouragement for making this boat real. However, neither has he asked that i cease and desist..
As it stands right now, the maximum rpm on the engine is 2400 rpm. the propellers are each 2.35 feet in diameter and blade pitch angle is up too 28.5 degrees ( he used constant speed props to help with reversing ).. it sits level at idle and planes nicely at top speed..
I'll keep working on it and hopefully have my way past this speed problem figured out soon..
OH, by the way. I came across all the original frame by frame specifications for the boat and have been using those as well. Handling is much improved even over what you have now.. :)..
Pam

Thanks for the info Pam, it looks to be sitting better in the water in that photo,
I look forward to your next update but do take time to rest yourself.

Regards

Bruce.

stovall
February 15th, 2013, 11:37
Just tried the new FDE myself and found things much improved. Anything you come up with after this is just icing for me. I did notice the nose down effect. Keep at it, you will find the answer. Thanks for all this.

strikehawk
February 16th, 2013, 16:42
The AAV that you could get at FS Addon is really fun for this area, I tried to send my friends the link to it but it's not there anymore:banghead:
Anyone know where to find it?, be nice to have about 4 or 5 of these hit the beach and start bolwing :censored: up.

familton
February 16th, 2013, 19:27
The AAV that you could get at FS Addon is really fun for this area, I tried to send my friends the link to it but it's not there anymore:banghead:
Anyone know where to find it?, be nice to have about 4 or 5 of these hit the beach and start bolwing :censored: up.

Here's one that just came out of the water. I made a gauge that's visible in all views so I can drive it in spot view, open and close the doors, turn on the brake lights, and fire the guns. Bob.

strikehawk
February 16th, 2013, 19:32
That's the one, just can't find it anymore. I have it but I am planning a "what if?" mission for the Miaramar Flight Club and this is an essential part and now I can't find a link to it anymore.:banghead:

warchild
February 16th, 2013, 19:57
http://fsaddon.eu/wpfsaddon/?page_id=566

http://online.simmarket.com/fsaddon/LHA-AAV_Manual.pdf

i found those but cant find any more.. Also, the LHA 5 is now freeware I imagine the AAV-7A1 is too..

dougal
February 17th, 2013, 04:51
Even with thumping great diesels in there i'd still love it. MTBs had a style and personality all their own and the cantankerousness of those diesels would give it an almost endearing nature.. Sounds like what you had was a home, which is so much more special than a boat :) :) ..

After that one Pam, I had another ex WWII beast... She was rivited steel and before being converted in the 1960's, was a fuel carrier for the RAF. She was small, at just 45ft and a narrow beam of only 11ft6" Rolled like a **** too;-)

Having carried aviation fuel for all those years, the plating seemed almost impregnated with the stuff, and she never rotted! Certainly an interesting beast.

dougal
February 17th, 2013, 06:02
Mmmm.... Time to re-read the instructions I think;-)

familton
February 17th, 2013, 06:27
That's the one, just can't find it anymore. I have it but I am planning a "what if?" mission for the Miaramar Flight Club and this is an essential part and now I can't find a link to it anymore.:banghead:

I have too it as you see. I searched and could not find any site that had it now. It was part of a package with the LHA-5, which I have also. I'll search through my old download folder and see if I can identify where I got it. I am pretty sure I did not buy it. Bob.

Update: I found it in my downloads. It was called lha5-free.zip. I did a search now and can't find it. It has the LHA-5 and the AAV-7 in it. Another friend sent me this link:

Both links are from the same site TaskForceFSx MediaFire is the direct link.

http://www.mediafire.com/?9dab9a8k307dtyi or http://taskforcefsx.com/11thMEU.html
That's where I got it from. Bob.

dougal
February 17th, 2013, 07:43
Mmmm.... Time to re-read the instructions I think;-)

Don't know what I'm doing wrong here. Any ideas folks?

warchild
February 17th, 2013, 07:56
Don't know what I'm doing wrong here. Any ideas folks?

Your not doing anything wrong that i know of dougal. I have the same problem. There's one texture in the solomons pack number 2 that just doesnt want to display..
but let me try something.. will write back in a few minutes.

Addendum:: I thought it might be a matter of placement in the scenery list, but i was incorrect.. placed on top or anywhere and the texture still does not show. I reinstalled before as well and am still missing the texture..

dougal
February 17th, 2013, 08:25
Your not doing anything wrong that i know of dougal. I have the same problem. There's one texture in the solomons pack number 2 that just doesnt want to display..

Addendum:: I thought it might be a matter of placement in the scenery list, but i was incorrect.. placed on top or anywhere and the texture still does not show. I reinstalled before as well and am still missing the texture..

Okay Pam, thanks for trying.

familton
February 17th, 2013, 10:22
Okay Pam, thanks for trying.

What exact island is that scenery at? I have gone to a lot of them and have not found that error. Thanks, Bob.

warchild
February 17th, 2013, 10:29
thats on bouganville at the eastern end of the channel.

familton
February 17th, 2013, 10:46
thats on bouganville at the eastern end of the channel.
Hi. OK. Thanks. Bob.

fxsttcb
February 17th, 2013, 10:47

I had the same issue when I installed in P3D. Check your "Effects/Texture" folder. I some how got an "Effects/TextureS" folder. That was my problem. I didn't notice it in FSX because I manually placed everything...Don

familton
February 17th, 2013, 11:13
As Don said you are missing the texture. I had the same problem as he did as I caught it during my installation. Here is mine. Bob.

huub vink
February 17th, 2013, 11:45
Dougal95,

This is a common problem. Have you iinstalled the updat already?

This is in the readme text from the update:

If you see huge black squares instead of smoke in some areas, the effect texture has not been found. They should reside in the

[fsx-p3d rootfolder\\effects\textures\

Folder. Due to a mistake in original package they might have been copied to a new folder here:

[fsx-p3d rootfolder\\effects\texture\

Note the missing "s" in the target folder. Remedy is to move or copy the texture files to the default \textureS\ folder and delete the erranous \texture\ folder.

The link to the update can be found in post 105 from this thread.
I hope this helps,

Cheers,
Huub

dougal
February 17th, 2013, 11:56
Dougal95,

This is a common problem. Have you iinstalled the updat already?

This is in the readme text from the update:

If you see huge black squares instead of smoke in some areas, the effect texture has not been found. They should reside in the

[fsx-p3d rootfolder\\effects\textures\

Folder. Due to a mistake in original package they might have been copied to a new folder here:

[fsx-p3d rootfolder\\effects\texture\

Note the missing "s" in the target folder. Remedy is to move or copy the texture files to the default \textureS\ folder and delete the erranous \texture\ folder.

The link to the update can be found in post 105 from this thread.
I hope this helps,

Cheers,
Huub

Many thanks - that got me sorted;-)

warchild
February 17th, 2013, 18:54
i think i may still be stuck. i had both folders with the correct files in each. its puzzling..

Yes, i still have the issue. i checked against the download folders and it looks like everything is there.. heres a pic of whats in that directory. coul;d someone please compare it to theirs and tell me if i'm missing anything??

familton
February 17th, 2013, 19:50
i think i may still be stuck. i had both folders with the correct files in each. its puzzling..

Yes, i still have the issue. i checked against the download folders and it looks like everything is there.. heres a pic of whats in that directory. coul;d someone please compare it to theirs and tell me if i'm missing anything??

They should be in your Effects\Texture folder not the Effects\Textures folder. Look at your Effects\Texture folder you should have a lot of other textures already. Bob.

strikehawk
February 17th, 2013, 21:31
That did the trick, things look a lot better:salute:

warchild
February 17th, 2013, 22:20
much better.. thank you :)

roger-wilco-66
February 23rd, 2013, 14:04
Thanks for chiming in, guys (and gals). I was down with a flu for over a week.

Hey but I'm on flank speed again, with short pauses.

I plan to close the open beta by month's end and build a new version that has all the corrections. Additionally, the Russell Islands (Knucklehead) will be photoreal. This is Pavuvu Cub Strip, Sunlight Field (the rear echelon field for many fighter squadrons), and Banika Field (Bombers B-25, as well as P38 and P-39 units).

Sunlight and Banika were build on Coconut plantations, which are almost impossible to depict in FSX. I did some braining and found a solution for that: I build the whole vegatation set with custom palms in 3DS Max. Over 2500 palms with only two files and one drawcall each. Performancewise, much better than autogen! But it was a bit of a pain to place the two objects precisely.

Here's what it looks like right now (was "born" only a few minutes ago, still a bit work on the phototile to be done...):

https://dl.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/xsiD5cDxD_/Solomon%201943%20Scenery/Russell-palmplantation-sunlight-field.jpg?token_hash=AAFEUcZgd3Ow1k90OqcXtSnADSles 9CKxCocJq5OXuBWGA

In 3dsmax:

https://dl.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/2XNpMFT3Gn/Solomon%201943%20Scenery/Russell-3dstudio-palmplantation2.jpg?token_hash=AAFEUcZgd3Ow1k90Oqc XtSnADSles9CKxCocJq5OXuBWGA

Cheers,
Mark

stovall
February 23rd, 2013, 14:10
Looks fantastic Mark, really looking forward to the final at month's end. Your work is greatly appreciated by all at SOH.

roger-wilco-66
February 23rd, 2013, 14:14
Thanks Tom! I'm glad I'm back in the ring.

Ah and another one, from the ground:

https://dl.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/Q6jl__LGl1/Solomon%201943%20Scenery/Russell-palmplantation-sunlight-field2.jpg?token_hash=AAFEUcZgd3Ow1k90OqcXtSnADSle s9CKxCocJq5OXuBWGA

robert41
February 23rd, 2013, 15:58
This looks great. Glad you are feeling better.

heywooood
February 23rd, 2013, 16:51
This looks great. Glad you are feeling better.

same here, that flu is bad news

with this scenery, you could recreate my sig pic...

CrisGer
February 23rd, 2013, 17:44
wow Mark, i have long felt that would be the only way to get dense jungle growth or specific types such as these into the sim, and you did it. Well done!

Another medal for you!

:medals:

and stop by the mess tent and Cookie will have a :icon29: hidden for you....dont tell the brass.

Sundog
February 23rd, 2013, 22:08
An airfield on a coconut plantation. Who knew? It looks just as I would expect it to look, hearing that description. Fantastic work as usual Mark,

Ken

roger-wilco-66
February 23rd, 2013, 23:52
Thanks, guys!

and stop by the mess tent and Cookie will have a :icon29: hidden for you....dont tell the brass.

The brass won't mind, they hang out themselves. Boyington sure did. A beeer and a hamburger can be had at "South Pacific Joe's" hamburger stand over at Banika. It really existed back then and was of epic reputation. Joe could have gotten rich selling the hamburgers, but he gave them away for nothing to the servicemen. I'll recreate that place in 3DSMAX for that airfield to give him some honour! Unfortuntly I have only verbal descriptions, which are good though (Buce Porter described it well in "ACE!" .

Ah, and by the way, the palm texture above is from a photo I took at Rollingstone, Queensland last year. I have a ton of texture photos of tropical vegations that wait to be slapped on 3d objects :-)

Cheers,
Mark

Francois
February 24th, 2013, 00:23
Looks awesome, glad your flu is gone and thanks again for all your help ! :-)

warchild
February 24th, 2013, 07:20
So thats where " Eat at Joes " Comes from...

TuFun
February 27th, 2013, 14:05
Mark... blown away with those palm trees! Enjoying the beta a bunch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DiZRP4H62E

expat
February 27th, 2013, 23:22
Mark,

You have had a number of innovations with scenery design with this project. I have never seen South Pacific vegetation that looks so much like what you see in pictures.

Congratulations + having a great time flying in the beta. I like how Ongonga has the tall trees along the runway - a bit of Star Wars canyon flying with a P-38!

expat

Warhawk1130
February 28th, 2013, 06:02
Thanks for chiming in, guys (and gals). I was down with a flu for over a week.

I plan to close the open beta by month's end

Let me know when you want me to take down the mirror download, Mark.

roger-wilco-66
February 28th, 2013, 07:21
Let me know when you want me to take down the mirror download, Mark.

Thanks guys.

@ Warhawk, will do. Thank you very much for your help!

My work does not go as fast as I thought it would, primarily because I spent the last days designing new scenery objects in 3DSMax. Made several palm log revetments, and typical airfield buildings I saw on old Solomon photos.

So the finalized version is a bit postponed.

Cheers,
Mark

https://dl.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/dLT55CFvbm/Solomon%201943%20Scenery/Russell-sunlight-field1.jpg?token_hash=AAFEUcZgd3Ow1k90OqcXtSnADSle s9CKxCocJq5OXuBWGA

familton
February 28th, 2013, 11:49
I do not hear the clinking effect or any of the other explosion sounds like in TuFun's video above. What exact file triggers them and where are the wav files located. Thanks, Bob.

warchild
February 28th, 2013, 21:18
I still maintain that the best way to see what mark and tom and others have so generously and lovingly crafted for us is by boat.

Badger85
September 8th, 2014, 11:59
Hi Mark,

Great work! I just installed the scenery and am really looking forward to flying around the Solomons.

One big quirk that I noticed though with my installation. I am primarily interested in flying from Ondonga Field (VF-17's home base) but whenever I start my flight there, I seem to spawn in the water next to the field rather than on the runway. I've tried starting from other fields (both "active new" and "active default") and they seem to work fine. I followed your installation instructions very carefully and unchecked any possible conflicting scenery. I also noticed that 'expat' experienced the same problem and described it in post #89 of this thread. Do you have any recommendations for how to fix this?

Once again, great work and thank you for making this scenery!

Thank you!
Alex

CodyValkyrie
May 11th, 2015, 15:52
Out of curiosity, how's the work been going, if any, on new updates? Love this scenery.

roger-wilco-66
May 11th, 2015, 22:01
Oh boy. I'm sort of drifting in and out of the Solomons. In the moment I'm still involved with the CBI project. After that the JFAR scenery (which began as a Solomon test island for developing new skills) will be finished. I also designed around 200 to 300 new 3d models as replacements for the static Solomon objects.

Since all the methods and objects I employ now will be used in the next Solomon version, the images which can be seen in the dev galleries cbi + jfar can serve as an impression on what can be expected:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ngwsza2bgqedg7a/AACbU8EjMWdPryAGNbJ2E56ca?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5dscqp6bj1n1t3a/AACOiO9Nb1tA058omiZlzIy_a?dl=0

Given the large difference in the object libraries and design methods, I probably will have to start almost from scratch for a clean V3 version.

[Edit]: I seemed to have missed the post by Alex - thanks for pointing this out, this issue is already on the todo-list!

Cheers,
Mark

xpelekis
May 12th, 2015, 08:37
@Badger85

but whenever I start my flight there, I seem to spawn in the water next to the field rather than on the runway.

I guess the easiest way is to go in Slew Mode after spawn ("Y") and remove - relocate the plane to the exact position that you want. Then Save the Flight
with a name and use this from now on for spawning.

@roger-wilco-66 :

I have installed only the 6 first scenery files following instructions. Spawned over there with P-38L but dew to dense vegetation I guess, I had major FPS impact.
I'm wondering : Does this improve with the full scenery installation or I just have to reduce autogen ?

Also in another not :

Can we have WWII vehicles of the SimObjects/Ground Vehicles category serving as targets for the Tacpack weapons ?
ie, not scenery objects but SimObjects.
I mean if is not too much or entirely different kind of work with the 3d modelling.
It would be nice to have especially Japanish such targets for the TP P-38L.

Thank you.

roger-wilco-66
May 12th, 2015, 10:33
Xpelegis,

There's a known error with the runway start location on Ondonga, I think.
I'm not sure I quite understand. You should install all files / folders that are necessary and provided. If you leave something out you will encounter errors.

Regarding the objects: many 3d objects in that version are made by me, but most of them are third party. You would need to ask the author to use them as tacpack objects (and distribute them as such, most important).
As far as my objects are concerned, you can do as you please as long as there's nothing commercial going on and the author is mentioned.

Cheers,
Mark

tailspin45
May 10th, 2017, 16:52
Hours of fun using this terrain! Thank you!

Added Weapons4 (https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/17904/fsx-weapons-pack-4/) droppable bombs to MAAM B-25 and...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49934&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49933&stc=1

roger-wilco-66
May 10th, 2017, 23:23
Awesome post processing, looks almost like real! Looks like Balale island.

Did you also try that up around Rabaul? Should also be a nice setting for scenes like that!

Cheers,
Mark

lagaffe
June 30th, 2017, 10:34
I am a french developer and I fall in love with Baa Baa Black Sheep story. :santahat:

When I found your addon, I wanted to test it as soon as possible and I no longer count the hours spent playing with the Corsairs and Zeros, as Boyington in his Lulu Belle.

I read in this post what you will plan to make a V3 ... I hope that your project will succeed and that this version will be available very soon :wavey:

Didier "Lagaffe"

wiltzei
August 19th, 2017, 02:21
Where can this be downloaded from?

llanning08
August 19th, 2017, 03:07
See Post #218 above. The Solomon 1943 V.2 download site is in Roger's sig block.

wiltzei
August 19th, 2017, 03:26
See Post #218 above. The Solomon 1943 V.2 download site is in Roger's sig block.

Cheers. The signatures are disabled at my end.

Getting "No hotlinking allowed" error on the update.

llanning08
August 19th, 2017, 03:57
Bummer! The sig block html do work for me, so I'm perplexed. Not aware of another source, they are not in the SOH Library.

Perhaps you could PM roger-wilco-66 for a link?

Roger
August 19th, 2017, 04:30
Both SOH library links work for me.

llanning08
August 19th, 2017, 04:51
Both SOH library links work for me.

Opps! Bangs head ... thought Roger had an off site link, I downloaded it years ago.

I did an SOH Library search for FSX Scenery and Text = Solomon, and only found klnowak's sceneries.

As noted, Roger's sig block links do work for me.

YoYo
August 30th, 2017, 12:26
I put this in P3D corner http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/107214-Solomon-1943-in-P3Dv4-(no-taxiway)
but maybe someone noticed this too?

BendyFlyer
August 30th, 2017, 16:56
My apologies to all to raise this again but is there an alternative download site for this package? The FSX version and updates I refer to. I have tried numerous times to do it here but I can never get the download speed above about 12-20 kbs which means it can take from 24 to 72 hours at the rate to download. Not sure why for this one as generally SOH is quite reasonable.

expat
October 10th, 2019, 08:02
Just wondering if I missed that Mark may have finished this update of his wonderful Solomon scenery?