PDA

View Full Version : Index Bufffer exceeds max size?

OleBoy
January 31st, 2013, 18:09
Sitting in at just over 18,000 polys (in mesh mode), when I exported my model I received this pop-up.
What does it mean?

EDIT: With a Google search I found what I needed to know. I was doing the poly count incorrectly. The figure of 18K+ for a vertice count was done in poly mode.
The actual count (in mesh mode) is 41,740 vertice. :icon_eek: This is not good from what I read.

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/9766/indexbuffer.jpg

Milton Shupe
January 31st, 2013, 19:19
I think this explains it pretty well:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7206

A warning only but with a caveat that this will cause two draw calls to render the engine in the sim.

Details are fine but be also cognizant to not use more Polys (or sides, or segments) than necessary to get the visual you need.
Remember that the engine will not likely be viewed more closely than 10 feet away and on average, more than 20 feet away.
Smoothing and textures do wonders for roundness. Look at the forward exhaust header (as an example) and ask the question, "Can this look just as good from a distance with 6-8 sides once textured?" Then secondly, "Do I really need all those segments on a straight tube?"

Here's a good test for you: Put an Optimize in the stack to see what the difference in poly count is and what changes it makes to get those savings. Then delete the Optimize if not needed. It is an easy way to improve and you can set the level to give acceptable results. Experiment with it.

OleBoy
January 31st, 2013, 20:00
I think this explains it pretty well:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7206

A warning only but with a caveat that this will cause two draw calls to render the engine in the sim.

Details are fine but be also cognizant to not use more Polys (or sides, or segments) than necessary to get the visual you need.
Remember that the engine will not likely be viewed more closely than 10 feet away and on average, more than 20 feet away.
Smoothing and textures do wonders for roundness. Look at the forward exhaust header (as an example) and ask the question, "Can this look just as good from a distance with 6-8 sides once textured?" Then secondly, "Do I really need all those segments on a straight tube?"

Here's a good test for you: Put an Optimize in the stack to see what the difference in poly count is and what changes it makes to get those savings. Then delete the Optimize if not needed. It is an easy way to improve and you can set the level to give acceptable results. Experiment with it.

Hi Milton.

That very link you posted is one I have been reading. There's another one at FSdeveloper that I was reading as well. http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?p=51188
There are a lot of areas in the model I can clean up. I've considered that. Anything not seen can be eliminated which should help out. I just need to learn how to do this.
Also, concerning smoothing. I have not yet applied any. I suppose it's time for my next phase of uses in Gmax.

I converted the model to mesh mode and applied the "optimize" to the stack. The vertice count dropped to 38,179. Not a lot, but it does help. When I applied the optimize I watched the mesh in the model. What appeared to happen was that feature eliminated un-needed segments like in the pipes. Lots of other areas also.

I've lessons to learn in modeling. This I know. It's a finish carpenters mentality at work. LOL.

Now that you have mentioned lesser sides, I recall even the some of the best modelers, models that had fewer sides in the radius. They looked fine.

Thank you for helping me out as I stride for my next hurdle. It is appreciated.

Milton Shupe
February 1st, 2013, 07:36
For areas not seen from any angle, this is how I do it: (Best done with Shaded Polys checked in Customize Viewports)

1) Select all polys, then select Ignore Backfacing in the rollout in Editable sub-Poly mode
2) Go to each angle from which the object's sides can be seen and, hold down the Alt key and lasso select to deselect visible polys.
3) Continue this process from all viewing angles.

The polys that remain selected are the ones you can safely delete.

OleBoy
February 2nd, 2013, 10:02
For areas not seen from any angle, this is how I do it: (Best done with Shaded Polys checked in Customize Viewports)

1) Select all polys, then select Ignore Backfacing in the rollout in Editable sub-Poly mode
2) Go to each angle from which the object's sides can be seen and, hold down the Alt key and lasso select to deselect visible polys.
3) Continue this process from all viewing angles.

The polys that remain selected are the ones you can safely delete.

Thanks, Milton. I will try it.

I found this while searching for relevant info. http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/polyvis/

I'm wondering if you (or anyone else) have tried it? I'm not fond of testing something like this just yet.

hairyspin
February 2nd, 2013, 11:55
That script requires a Camera object to work. It's for Max 4 so may well work with Gmax, I'm just a bit worried when the "detailed PDF Tutorial" can't be found.

Limitations of Gmax with 3ds Max scripts are creating or writing to files is disabled, anything to do with rendering or NURBS (don't ask...) is disabled and a few other Max-specific operations are disabled. I'm working through a gnarly script problem right now, converting a script from 3ds Max to use in Gmax and have learned a few of these limitations. :isadizzy:

Milton Shupe
February 2nd, 2013, 12:39
Thanks, Milton. I will try it.

I found this while searching for relevant info. http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/polyvis/

I'm wondering if you (or anyone else) have tried it? I'm not fond of testing something like this just yet.

I see absolutely no reason to even try this.

My technique described above works fast and it is easy.

I used to hide all polys from the VC model not seen from the VC seat. I could do a whole aircraft in less than 30 minutes.

For the engines, you could easily do all the parts in that in about 2-3 minutes.

Don't over-complicate the task.

OleBoy
February 2nd, 2013, 13:18
I see absolutely no reason to even try this.

My technique described above works fast and it is easy.

I used to hide all polys from the VC model not seen from the VC seat. I could do a whole aircraft in less than 30 minutes.

For the engines, you could easily do all the parts in that in about 2-3 minutes.

Don't over-complicate the task.

I thought the script to be over board myself. I was curious though.

OleBoy
February 6th, 2013, 14:37
After cleaning up all hidden polys (and making 4 new coils (original coils consisted of nearly 75% vertice count), I have gotten the vertice count down from 41,740, to 12,324.
Much better.

N2056
February 6th, 2013, 16:20
Keep in mind that the texture vertices are also counted, and I seem to recall that even though you have not textured the parts yet they are still considered to have a material applied to them. Having knocked down the poly count are you still getting the message?

OleBoy
February 6th, 2013, 16:30
The index buffer exceeded message is no longer there on export.
That's a good thing, right?

There were also a couple duplicate (small) parts. No idea if that has any relevance with the buffer issue.