PDA

View Full Version : X52 or X52 Pro?

Scratch
January 6th, 2009, 17:07
My old Saitek X45 is getting more screwed up by the day and I'm tired of opening it up and re-soldering loose wires. I need some recommendations on the X52 and X52 Pro. Is it worth the extra money for the Pro model? My two main sims are FSX and Black Shark. Thanks.

hey_moe
January 6th, 2009, 17:22
The pro to me wasn't worth thr extra cost...Mike

glennc
January 6th, 2009, 17:36
I agree with Moe. I had a Pro - one axis gave up the ghost at about three months old. The "plain" X-52 seems to last for a whole lot longer. My first one lasted for two plus years. The one I replaced the Pro with has been going for more than a year now.

Glenn

Tako_Kichi
January 6th, 2009, 17:46
I can't speak of the Pro but I have been very happy with my plain 'ole X52. I have put a lot of hours on it and it's still going strong. The only issue I have with it now is one of the rotary pots on the throttle has taken to reading 'short' (i.e. it's only active over half the length) but so far I haven't found the right shaped 'tuits' to get the pot out to check/clean it (I need to get a round 'tuit' but only seem to have square ones right now ;) ).

I use that rotary for mixture control so it's not too bad as is.

Nick C
January 7th, 2009, 08:05
I'm on the second XP Pro in just over a year and this one looks like I'm going to have issues with the cable connection in the back of the stick...same as the last one!

Scratch
January 7th, 2009, 10:26
Thanks for the info fellas. I reckon I'll get the vanilla X52 then.

Nick C
January 7th, 2009, 11:10
I got a retired chap across the road into FS, for the price I advised he went out and bought the standard X52 and he's more than happy with it.

IanHenry
January 7th, 2009, 12:24
Hi Scratch,
I had an X52 which lasted for just 18 months, but fortunately it came with a two year guarantee. When I returned it I was given the opportunity to ‘upgrade’ to an X52 pro (I had to make up the difference in price). Given the opportunity again I don’t think I would bother, the pro is no better than the standard one in my opinion, though I do wonder how long they will last.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
Regards,
Ian

chinookmark
January 8th, 2009, 08:47
The guts of the pro and standard are supposed to be the same, although I remember seeing somewhere that the pro is supposedly more precise. ???

I have the pro, and it certainly looks cool in all black. The functional MFD is neat, but honestly, I never use it. It works great for me, but I've never used a standard X52.

Wiens
January 8th, 2009, 08:56
I have the "standard" X52. To me, the extra expense for the Pro wasn't worth it.

Just my opinion.

Kevin

Scratch
January 8th, 2009, 16:24
Thanks again for the opinions guys, but it looks like I have a more pressing matter now as my powersupply for my 'puter blew last night:faint:Like I needed that crap! Oh well, time to take it apart and pray that nothing else was fried when it went out. I'm now on a very old laptop w/dialup and this sucks big time. How did we ever get by without DSL?:help: