PDA

View Full Version : THE Best Low and Slow For....

dougal
January 31st, 2013, 12:02
Hi guys
Having installed Milford Sound and OrbX New Zealand South, I'm looking for a (very) small GA aircraft to run between T004-Quintin Lodge and NZMF-Milford Sound.

Quintin Lodge is TINY!!! What's the very best addon that'll do that? I'd like something with realistic(ish) FD and really great VC

Any ideas?

EDIT: errr.... No helos please;-)

Roger
January 31st, 2013, 12:11
I favour the Alabeo Waco YMF5...really great for low and slow and very pretty inside and out.

FentiFlier1
January 31st, 2013, 12:27
The payware very light aircraft I pick most often: Ant's Sierra & Eaglet. Very nice all round.

Wasn't the RealAir Scout/Decathlon/Citabria particularly good FD wise?

Owen

hae5904
January 31st, 2013, 12:35
FR Super Cub - Ultra......fantastic stol capabilities, very responsive on the control.

http://www.flight-replicas.com/SuperCubUltrapkg.htm

Cheers,
Hank

Portia911
January 31st, 2013, 12:38
Sounds like a job for Super Cub! - or any cub really, just depends on your taste (and how long you have to get there!)

I'd second Fentiflier's suggestions re: the Real Air Am Champ pack and Ant's Tecnam Sierra. Lionheart's new (old) Pacer/Tripacer would likely work well here too.

FentiFlier1
January 31st, 2013, 12:47
I've got the Flight Replicas amphibian super cub, what a hoot to fly. And it can do some pretty steep climbs/descents... makes me think the Ultra must be a real beast!

The Sierra and Eaglet are perfect for gentle sightseeing. At lower power settings the engine sounds are discreet: good when you need a relaxing flight after a tiring day.

olderndirt
January 31st, 2013, 12:54
A definite FS consideration (not many left in RL) is Mathias's Me108 Taifun. Gets on and off quite smartly with slats and flaps.

Naki
January 31st, 2013, 13:02
You need something fairly rugged with STOL capabilities to get into there...I use (or did until my PC went kaput) Sibwings BirdDog, Carenado 185 and Flight 1/Virtavia BN Islander -- the Islander is my favourite (although probably too big for what you are looking for)

jetstreamsky
January 31st, 2013, 13:05
Sibwings Cessna Birddog is very nice http://www.sibwings.com/birddog.php

also their SAAB Safir http://www.sibwings.com/safirx.php

pilottj
January 31st, 2013, 13:12
Great choices above. I would add the Baytower RV-7 too of course, it can get in and out of T004 just fine. You can fly it slow or fast lol. :mixedsmi: Also being aerobatic, you can really knife around the canyons but most importantly, you can reverse your direction in a hurry, should you find yourself running out of room to turn around :)

With practice and without a big tailwind, you can get the A2A P-40 in too. Tho I tried it with a 16kt tailwind, the result wasn't pretty! :icon_lol:

Naki
January 31st, 2013, 14:52
How could I forget about the Baytwor RV-7! Agree totally with the above. ..the RV-7 was my main choice for GA flying around NZ.

You will also need a Kiwi scheme - there are a few (some ficiticious) repaints around for the Sibwings Bird dog, Carenado 185, Baytower RV-7, FR Ultra Cub, the F1 Islander, Ant's Tecnam and Eaglet, CH Bf-108 and the Alabeo Waco. In real life the strip is probably vsisted mainly by 185s, Maules and Cubs. It would be interesting to see whether any of the local Islanders fly in there.

dandog
January 31st, 2013, 15:19
What type of use? Going solo or need room for passengers? If passengers, room for ?

dougal
January 31st, 2013, 15:31
Just shows how much I know (squat). Thought the RV7 was a sporty thing. Had no idea it would get in and out of T004:icon_eek:

Thanks for all the input.

griphos
January 31st, 2013, 16:18
Yeah, the RV7 will surprise. With some skill, 1500 ft is fine. Fun flyer.

The Waco is not your bird. It's pretty, but you can't see a lot except wings, and it's not particularly STOL.

For small and best FD, you can't do better than A2A's Cub. It will land on a dime. Open the doors and windows and it's great for sightseeing. Still one of the best FSX addon aircraft made.

I like Ant's planes, particularly the Eaglet, but I'd recommend his Drifter. It's got a great FD and you can't beat the visibility. It will land on anything, since it's an ultralight. It's a blast to fly.

The Birddog is not that STOL, but it's fun. I'd say the Aerosoft Wilga is another possibility. Very good FD, and all that plexi makes it a sightseer's dream. Good STOL. Quirky!

The Classics Hangar BF108 is actually quite good on short strips as well. It lands at about 45 kts, and cruises at 140 kts. It's low wing, but it's got a REALLY good FD. Almost as good as A2A.

I'd still say get the A2A Cub.

pilottj
January 31st, 2013, 16:24
Yeah the RV will get in and out of 800ft pretty easy. True it is really a sport plane, but it can get in to grass fine, particularly the Tail Dragger is great for soft field airstrips. I think in reality you would be more careful taking in to some the backwood strips, being a low wing airplane. I would probably avoid the extreme strips like Dewey Moore or Mile Hi. I got into those strips fine in FSX, in reality those strips would beat the hell out of the landing gear and aircraft underside :) You can remove the wheel covers which would help.

Here is a fellow taking his RV-6 into Big Creek, ID

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oMr5jkkU8A

Reddog
January 31st, 2013, 16:34
LHC's Pacer/TriPacer package

griphos
January 31st, 2013, 16:38
Yeah, the Pacer is good too!

guzzi
January 31st, 2013, 16:41
Well if you where looking for good freeware - what about the PAC FU24-950 series Fletcher - it,s a Kiwi bird as well! - although any more than 1 passenger and they'd have to ride in the hopper - although I seemd to remeber that they used them for para dropping somewhere in NZ.

Payware - Aerosoft's Wilga?

ThinkingManNeil
January 31st, 2013, 16:56
There's one I'd love to recommend but unfortunately it doesn't exist for FSX: a Cessna A150/A152 Aerobat with a taildragger conversion. Even better with a Horton STOL kit and Sparrowhawk engine mod. J.E. Narcizo had a nice tailwheel 150 for FS9, but I'd love to see Carenado, Alabeo, or LHC do a "clean sheet" version for FSX.

N.

ThinkingManNeil
January 31st, 2013, 17:25
Rick Piper's Aeroprakt A-22 Foxbat springs to mind as well, as does Anthony Lynch's DH.82 Tiger Moth.

N.

warchild
January 31st, 2013, 17:57
::LOL:: ok, i'll get in on this too i guess..
Classic Wings Sopwith Camel which will be ready soon. Its kind of like drinking black coffee. once youve gotten to drinking it, you'll never go back to the decaffeinated stuff..

yankeeromeo
January 31st, 2013, 21:54
Hello,

don't forget this one; turbine power, stol perf, fast and reliable, excellent FD & VC, in one word: TOP:salute:
:ernae:

http://questaircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/QuestWallpaper-blue-kodiak-trees.jpg

http://www.lionheartcreations.com/Kodiak.html

ryanbatc
January 31st, 2013, 22:12
Ant's Eaglet is probably what you're looking for.

Slow
High wing
Great fps, great modeling

yankeeromeo
January 31st, 2013, 22:16
i checked the T004-Quintin Lodge as i'm not owning this scenery, but this is piece of cake with the Kodiak even with a bigger plane too:salute:
:ernae:

kilo delta
February 1st, 2013, 01:20
The freeware Icon A5 ?

dougal
February 1st, 2013, 02:32
There's been some great stuff here - many thanks all. I'm having a 'hoot of a time'.

Got a question though and hope it doesn't insult the creator (Bill I think?)... I have the Quest Kodiak, and love it except the VC (sorry!). Is there a way of swapping out the VC, even for maybe the default C208? Such blasphemy I know - sorry guys;-)

myles
February 1st, 2013, 03:07
I was thinking along the lines of Dave Garwood's Auster Autocrat. Good for low and slow and doesn't need much space. Also, there are some examples of NZ textures for it (mostly by Jan-Kees, I think).

Best,
Myles

binarkansas
February 1st, 2013, 06:30
Since I love low and slow, I'll jump in here. All suggestions so far are good. However, I find myself investigating Orbxs' demo of Tasmania while sitting in the old LIC 7ac Champ a real hoot. It might be that much of my real life flying was in the champ, but it helps that as a flightsim model, it is almost perfect. Very realistic, great visibility from front seat and works very well in FSX. If speed is an issue, I usually end up flying Lionheart's Tailwind. I can be a fairly nice stol aircraft once you master landing with full flaps. The Pacer/tripacer is a wonderful model also, but visibility from VC keeps me from enjoying it as much when trying to get into smaller strips. Ant's Tiger Moth is also wonderful for low and slow, but landing can be a challenge, just doesn't want to slow down. For true stol use, I like RealAir's Scout and Flight Replica's Super Cub. I use the standard 150 and the 95 hp version. The 95 will test your skills getting it to slow down enough to land in a small strip, almost as much as Ant's Tiger.

Just my thoughts. No matter what you try, it is much fun trying to pick the "right" aircraft.

aircav1970
February 1st, 2013, 09:37
Seeing as most all my flying is Bush flying I have to second (or third) the A2A J-3 Cubbie with the accu-sim pkg. and the Carenado Cessna C-185,both available with Tundra tires and both have several NZ repaints available,while the Cub is truly low~n~slo the C-185 is a very good way to get in and out in a reasonable amount of time!:cool:

CP1207
February 1st, 2013, 10:45
All of the above are great (and I own most of them).
FSAddon Storch is very worthwhile also.
"I was thinking the Storch had better be as good as everybody says it is, or I'm
in big trouble. I turned the corner while flaring and got straightened out just
before I hit. The bagel-size tires didn't soak up much shock, but the long oleos
sucked up any bounce it had in it, and I nailed the brakes immediately. The gear
had touched down right next to the start of a fence, so it was easy to judge how
far this mongoose had rolled. I swung around and could hardly believe that the
first fence post was less than 100 feet away. The Storch (a name I now revered)
had rolled three airplane lengths at the very most and I had been too hot with
zero headwind to help." Pirep by Budd Davisson, Air Progress, April, 1972

gavinc
February 2nd, 2013, 08:58
I was thinking along the lines of Dave Garwood's Auster Autocrat. Good for low and slow and doesn't need much space. Also, there are some examples of NZ textures for it (mostly by Jan-Kees, I think).

Best,
Myles

I would have to put a second hand up in favour of the Autocrat. Can get in and out of almost anywhere.

Gavin

jpmouse
February 2nd, 2013, 15:12
Pilatus PC-6 is one of my favorites. By FSD.

Spikehughes
February 2nd, 2013, 17:44
I would have to put a second hand up in favour of the Autocrat. Can get in and out of almost anywhere.

Gavin

Just remember - typically getting to Milford Sound is either down the West coast from Haast, or over the Southern Alps from the East coast.
If you choose the latter, you will need something that still has power left at altitudes of around 9-10,000 Feet . (10,000 feet is a height of Mt Aspiring when taking off from Wanaka heading west - you would typically fly off the southern side and at a fair distance to avoid mountain turbulence. I know a 172 can do it - and a Robyn 120 at a pinch. The 152's struggle with two pax. I have done this crossing South Island east to west a couple of times but in a C182 and with 2 and 3 other pax respectively. It is a truely spectacular flight - and you get a real appreciation of the size of the surrounding mountains when you doddle along at 4,000 feet hugging one side of the sound. You have bush covered granite mountains on both sides streaming waterfalls, and you can see a tiny dot of a scenic ferry way below taking tourists up the sound toward the sea entrance.

jdhaenens
February 2nd, 2013, 18:16
OK, This bad boy has the low and slow down .... maybe not tiny enough?

CG_1976
February 2nd, 2013, 18:27
OK, This bad boy has the low and slow down .... maybe not tiny enough?

Ok, where did you get the gas bag?? I've been looking for one to use from NAS/CGAS Corpus.

jdhaenens
February 2nd, 2013, 18:35
Search avsim for USS Macon. (don't mean to hijack the post...sorry)

jankees
February 3rd, 2013, 06:43
and how about the Fieseler Storch? You can land on a postage stamp with that.

clmooring
February 3rd, 2013, 10:29
how slow... the RA Lancair Legacy has great visibility and even offer special suspension option for grassfield operations. It is not a bush plane, but great for cross country vfr flying.