PDA

View Full Version : FSX Nord 2501 Noratlas released...

mgchrist5
January 31st, 2013, 06:57
Now at Flightsim....with one heck of an impressive looking VC!

Name: projet_noratlas_base_pack.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=171172)
Size: 90,285,708 Date: 01-31-2013 Downloads: 114

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/images/fscfiles/s/projet_noratlas_base_pack2.gif
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/images/fscfiles/s/projet_noratlas_base_pack.gif
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/images/fsc/wbicons/fbq1.gif http://www.sim-outhouse.com/images/fsc/wbicons/fcq1.gif FSX Nord 2501 Noratlas, a French military transport aircraft. This version of the Noratlas was completely recreated for FSX. Two versions and three repaints are available: NB27 of the CIET, NB18 of the Ecole de l'air de Salon de Provence and NB105 currently operated by the association "Le Noratlas de Provence". All instruments in 3D. Audio warnings and checklists. By Jean-Francois Martin and Gilbert Millas.

Ferry_vO
January 31st, 2013, 07:21
Interesting! Downloading right now! :jump:

kilo delta
January 31st, 2013, 07:43
Confirmed as being FSX native. :)

stiz
January 31st, 2013, 09:29
to bad its all in french, cant even get her started, model looks nice though!

mgchrist5
January 31st, 2013, 10:52

Ah, that's a pity. Hopefully English docs are released at some point. I haven't had a chance to d/l and test the new model yet, but if you're desperate there are an extremely comprehensive set of instructions that Benoit Gaurant made for his detailed FS2004 Noratlas panel. They might be some assistance in figuring out the panel of the new release.

FS2004 (ACOF) - FS2004 Panels <CENTER>FS2004 Nord 2501 Atlas Panel Docs
</CENTER><CENTER>[ Download (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=85913) | View (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/vbfs/content.php?113-Zip-View&cm=list&fid=85913) ] </CENTER>
Name: n25v1_gb.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=85913)
Size: 1,754,082 Date: 02-21-2005 Downloads: 892

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/images/fscfiles/k/n25v1_gb.gif
FS2004 Nord 2501 Atlas Panel Docs. Documentation file in English for FS2004 Noratlas panel by Benoit Gaurant, version 1.0.

kilo delta
January 31st, 2013, 10:55

Surely it can't be that difficult to start? If in doubt, do as I do...click on every switch in the cockpit!:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon29:

Ferry_vO
January 31st, 2013, 11:01
This. Is. Awesome! Real payware quality!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Flightsim/fsx2013-01-3120-45-35-51.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Flightsim/fsx2013-01-3120-45-39-76.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Flightsim/fsx2013-01-3120-46-03-67.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Flightsim/fsx2013-01-3120-52-09-75.jpg

Starting isn't that hard if you follow the pics in the manual (Procedure de demarrage des moteurs) or click on the icon left of the pedestal with the top down view of the aircraft, and on the panel that now appears, click 'Moteur: En route' on the right to start the engines. ;-)

Daube
January 31st, 2013, 11:30
Wow !!
The cockpit looks far more impressive than anything I've seen in the preview screenshots !! Check The Reject Shop Catalogue (https://www.ladysavings.com/publix-weekly-ad/?reject-shop/) and Total Tools Catalogue (https://www.ladysavings.com/publix-weekly-ad/?total-tools/).
Thanks for posting these one, Ferry_vO. I'm going to download it right now.

EDIT: 29 KB/sec... I'll probably wait for tomorrow :D

Cirrus N210MS
January 31st, 2013, 12:09
cant wait to pickup this plane when i get back from vegas:salute:

Geomitrak
January 31st, 2013, 12:25
Great VC, but the external model textures really need looking at. Looking at picture 4 above, the exhaust smoke stains are represented by a general indistinct smudge aft of the cowlings. Beyond that, the metal textures in general are very poor. This is a great model of a great aircraft; shame about the textures.

YoYo
January 31st, 2013, 12:35
Wow, very nice VC! Good work :applause: !

roger-wilco-66
January 31st, 2013, 13:01
Great VC, but the external model textures really need looking at. Looking at picture 4 above, the exhaust smoke stains are represented by a general indistinct smudge aft of the cowlings. Beyond that, the metal textures in general are very poor. This is a great model of a great aircraft; shame about the textures.

:jump: Does that mean you want to give it a repaint?? :icon_lol:

Cheers,
Mark

StormILM
January 31st, 2013, 13:13
Wow! Didn't see this coming and it looks spectacular. I have hands on experience with the Noratlas. In 1989 we had one come into our ramp and at first, many on the field including the ATC's thought it was a C-119 derivative/modification. I was the only one who knew what it was because I had an old aviation book that had color templates of the Noratlas. The plane is huge although slightly smaller than the C-119 but it has a more aesthetic shape/look about it. The plane was registered in civilian markings from Uruguay but the owner was an East German(I assumed an expat/defector). They were coming from Canada with a Single Otter dismantled in the cargo hold and making fuel & customs stops on their way back to South America. I fueled the plane and put just under 600 gallons of Avgas on board and 36 quarts of mineral oil between the two radial engines(I've never put that much Avgas or Oil in any aircraft!). After they paid their bill(with cash), they set off and burned up almost all of the 7000 ft runway, rotated the nose gear off mid field before getting off the ground. They made a shallow turn to the South and rumbled off into the sunset. It was my one and only experience with a Noratlas but unforgettable.

Bone
January 31st, 2013, 13:19
The VC looks awesome from the pics shown here. I've tried to DL this package from Flightsim twice, now, but there's just a readme and a few pics in the DL, and no installer.

StormILM
January 31st, 2013, 13:42
Just got done flying it and it's a HANDFUL! Nicely done model! I will be learning all the particulars on this one over a good while.

Bruce Thompson
January 31st, 2013, 14:19
A very nice aircraft indeed, sounds great flies well and has terrific detail.

Thanks for the HU on this aircraft.:applause::applause::applause:

Ian Warren
January 31st, 2013, 17:10
Absolutely Brilliant , a French Bristol Freighter come wheelbarrow .. I like how these guys simply hide away then WHAMMO , they deliver this Gorgeous model :cool:

Roger
January 31st, 2013, 22:55
The VC looks awesome from the pics shown here. I've tried to DL this package from Flightsim twice, now, but there's just a readme and a few pics in the DL, and no installer.

Bone, the installer exe has an icon so it doesn't look like a typical installer.

StormILM
January 31st, 2013, 23:43
Can we get a sticky on this for new Freeware?

rayhere48
January 31st, 2013, 23:50
I sure wish the manual was also in English. It sure is a great looking piece of freeware.

Dimus
January 31st, 2013, 23:54
This is great news. The Noratlas had a long history with the HAF, some of it bloodstained in Cyprus 1974. During my service a few hulks were still in Elefsis AB and I was doing guard service next to them.

I will venture making two repaints for it, one with the original grey-green and one with the later "SEAC" colours.

findus
February 1st, 2013, 04:11
A great and pleasant suprise to have this bird for FSX!
THX VERY MUCH!!!80161

peter12213
February 1st, 2013, 04:38
Any chance of some Green nosed paints? Ive seen one of these at a display and was always captivated by it as a child, but have no idea why lol.

Firekitten
February 1st, 2013, 05:18
Seeing as I see hide nor hair of a set of blanks, or paint kit, and people are baying for painted blood already....

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/50293775/bare%20metal%20paint%20%27kit%27.zip

I 'reverse engineered' a set of plain bare metal textures from the three included, plain, with only warning labels, alphas too. Hope this helps folks, alternatively, if you just want a blank metal one, add it as a repaint in its own rights :P

I do look forward to seeing the HAF paints btw!

(I'll be trying my hand at some IAF ones)

Ferry_vO
February 1st, 2013, 06:02
Any chance of some Green nosed paints? Ive seen one of this at a display and was always captivated by it as a child, but have no idea why lol.

There's one included. :)

Firekitten
February 1st, 2013, 06:25
Aircraft number 125... still flying today I recall.

Dimus
February 1st, 2013, 06:32
Seeing as I see hide nor hair of a set of blanks, or paint kit, and people are baying for painted blood already....

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/50293775/bare%20metal%20paint%20%27kit%27.zip

I 'reverse engineered' a set of plain bare metal textures from the three included, plain, with only warning labels, alphas too. Hope this helps folks, alternatively, if you just want a blank metal one, add it as a repaint in its own rights :P

I do look forward to seeing the HAF paints btw!

Thank you! I appreciate it.

I will not be painting blood. The story behind this action is too emotional and sensitive as a Noratlas full of troops was shot down by friendly AA fire.

dvj
February 1st, 2013, 07:23
A great and pleasant suprise to have this bird for FSX!
THX VERY MUCH!!!80161

Lovely screen snap. Looks like a must get.

Firekitten
February 1st, 2013, 08:07
Thank you! I appreciate it.

I will not be painting blood. The story behind this action is too emotional and sensitive as a Noratlas full of troops was shot down by friendly AA fire.

I must clarify that the expression meant something else... people want aircraft painted... they are 'baying for blood' and I mixed the two... I in no way meant ACTUAL Blood... Wouldn't suggest it. I apologize for any misunderstanding or pain.

dougal
February 1st, 2013, 09:34
What a GREAT addon! Thanks to developers!!!

It will start wit Ctrl-E, but won't continue running. I certainly can't work it out from the pics, so if anyone can tell me, I'd be most grateful.

Cheers

Ferry_vO
February 1st, 2013, 10:13
It will start wit Ctrl-E, but won't continue running. I certainly can't work it out from the pics, so if anyone can tell me, I'd be most grateful.

Dougal, check my post above (#7); below the screenshots I posted how to start the engines. :)

jimjones
February 1st, 2013, 10:44
Thanks Ferry_VO for the hints (message #7) to get the plane started and continue running.

Interesting I could start using ctrl-E in the external view of the plane and fly in this view, but as soon as I switched views to the cockpit the engines stopped.

Dimus
February 1st, 2013, 11:20
I must clarify that the expression meant something else... people want aircraft painted... they are 'baying for blood' and I mixed the two... I in no way meant ACTUAL Blood... Wouldn't suggest it. I apologize for any misunderstanding or pain.

No problem at all Firekitten. I really appreciate the response. Let's go put some paint on now.:running:

dvj
February 1st, 2013, 12:35
Anyone missing the control yoke for the Pilot? The sim shows one for the co-pilot???

Dimus
February 1st, 2013, 12:59
Click on the yoke like little button in the button array next to the throttle quadrant and it will appear, sporting a nice clock on it.

Firekitten
February 1st, 2013, 14:46
As for keeping the engines running... keep the RPM over 1000 and they stay up :)

I'm planning on a civil scheme first perhaps, though I may get the IAF one done too...

Btw, anyone else having intesting cruise attitudes with it nose down about 2-3 degrees?

peter12213
February 1st, 2013, 14:52
I think this actually flew like that, I'm sure I heard or read one of the French pilots saying something about it having an unusual attitude "feeling" but I may well be completely off the ball there also. :icon29:

Geomitrak
February 2nd, 2013, 08:52
:jump: Does that mean you want to give it a repaint?? :icon_lol:

Cheers,
Mark

Actually, yes it does. Its a first class model, worth the effort to maybe enhance it a little.

Tim-HH
February 2nd, 2013, 10:33
There is an English manual at Flightsim: Nord 2501 Atlas Panel Docs (http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=search&fsec=0&fname=n25v1_gb.zip)

It's for an older panel. But it's very similar to the one of the new FSX Noratlas :)

Greetings
Tim

dvj
February 2nd, 2013, 10:59
Click on the yoke like little button in the button array next to the throttle quadrant and it will appear, sporting a nice clock on it.

Found it! Doh! Right in front of me.

Another quick question. Can the window reflections be removed be removed from the VC?

heywooood
February 2nd, 2013, 16:26
Found it! Doh! Right in front of me.

Another quick question. Can the window reflections be removed be removed from the VC?

great find - except for the cockpit glass reflections..this is a really nice model

peter12213
February 2nd, 2013, 18:31
Those reflections are too much!

heywooood
February 2nd, 2013, 18:46
Those reflections are too much!

another little issue - the landing /taxi lights only illuminate the ground in external views..not from the VC -

baernhard
February 3rd, 2013, 02:23
80323 80324 80325

(WIP)
Bernhard

newcomer
February 3rd, 2013, 02:56
WIP = Work is perfect :applause::applause::applause:!

Ferry_vO
February 3rd, 2013, 03:23
Looks great Berhard! :applause:

Firekitten
February 3rd, 2013, 09:10
80323 80324 80325

(WIP)
Bernhard
Gorgeous...

Are you finding you pretty much have to eliminate ANY alpha to stop the aircraft looking like its varnished?

Doumet57
February 3rd, 2013, 09:51
I will be glad to help you a little.

First of all, I apologize for my English, which is school-level.

I invite you to see the 18th page of the documentation, to see where the switches are for the starting procedure.

You have to set auto mixture on, in the realism parameters of your aircraft.

0. All switches on "A" (Arret which means off)
1. "H" position (Huile, oil on)
2. "E" position (Essence, fuel on)
3. "M" starting fuel pump
4. Magneto switch both
5. Starter energized
6. Starter switch.

Note that the "starter energized switch" (5th operation) come back on "A" after that the engine is started.

I hope it will help you a little, and I'm sure you will be very interested flying this old french lady !:jump:

Have fun with the Noratlas !

Best regards, Dom.

Roger
February 3rd, 2013, 10:32
Hi Dom,
Welcome to the SOH and thanks for this excellent aircraft:ernae:

Roger.

Doumet57
February 3rd, 2013, 10:48
You are welcome Roger !

Roger, I'm not the designer of this aircraft, only a french fan of this old lady. I made two flights on board when I was a child, thanks to my father which was master sergeant in the French Air Force at that time.

This plane is a "box of memories" for me...

FSX68
February 3rd, 2013, 12:18
I love this plane but I am having issues keeping the engines running. When I manage to light off both engines, I will view the center cockpit console and the engines die. Both of 'em.
Maybe I did not properly start them but I can get them going by pressing the red buttons I circled (RED) and then hit CTRL + E and they will light off. I can take off, fly but once I glance
at the center cockpit, the engines quit and if I an quick enough I can re light them both with the convential ctrl + E

What am I doing wrong?

Dimus
February 3rd, 2013, 12:29
80323 80324 80325

(WIP)
Bernhard
The Greek version I'm working on had the same camo as the planes were ex Luftwaffe. You seem to have gotten it right! It will be some time till I manage to finish it though.

Doumet57
February 3rd, 2013, 13:15
I love this plane but I am having issues keeping the engines running. When I manage to light off both engines, I will view the center cockpit console and the engines die. Both of 'em.
Maybe I did not properly start them but I can get them going by pressing the red buttons I circled (RED) and then hit CTRL + E and they will light off. I can take off, fly but once I glance
at the center cockpit, the engines quit and if I an quick enough I can re light them both with the convential ctrl + E

What am I doing wrong?

Hi Richoday.

Those red buttons are the autofeather for the propellers.

Did you set auto-mixture on in the plane realism parameters ?

Firekitten
February 3rd, 2013, 13:24
The Greek version I'm working on had the same camo as the planes were ex Luftwaffe. You seem to have gotten it right! It will be some time till I manage to finish it though.

The Israeli pattern im working on atm is a nightmare...

Also, anyone spotted that they mirrored the paratroop doors? how lazy was that? Seeing as its inside the fuse side texture, what effort was it to double up the map on the other side? *sigh*

FSX68
February 3rd, 2013, 13:25
Hi Richoday.

Those red buttons are the autofeather for the propellers.

Did you set auto-mixture on in the plane realism parameters ?

Plane Auto-mixture is set. So I guess I need to figure out what procedures to start it up. Wish the cold start could be be by passed and CTRL + E was all needed to start it up.
Is that possible?

Edit: If I am in spot view I can start engines with CTRL + E but when I change to cockpit view the engines die. strange.

FSX68
February 3rd, 2013, 14:10
OK, after trial and error I think I have solved the conundrum of keeping the engines running and other issues.

In external mode I can start engines with conventional CTRL + E and then I have to do the following to keep them running when I am in the Virtual cockpit view.

80382Then the a big white panel will pop (you have to pan up a bit to see it. Then select what I have circled in red. This kept the engines running no matter what view I was in.
You can dismiss the white panel; just click on the little red X in the lower right corner.

80383And as the French say "et voilà !!!

Doumet57
February 3rd, 2013, 14:10
No Richoday, that's normal...

The designer explain that when you start the engines with CTRL+E in spot view and then come back in the VC, the engines die because the magneto are not set.

So, in order to re-start the engines, there are three different manners to do that :

1. you do the starting procedure described above.
2. you check the box "Moteur : en route" (engine started) in the cockpit configuration table (which can be reached by the Noratlas-Shape button on the dashboard)
3. by using the "emergency starting button" which are localised at the bottom of the dashboard, on the left of the pedestal (19th page of the documentation).

The two final procedures allow :

magneto on setting
fuel flow opening
propeller pitch 100%
engine start
attitude indicator unblocked
radio and navigation systems on.

I'm sorry for the long time response but my english is very "rusted"...

Doumet57
February 3rd, 2013, 14:12
That's what I said... I'm rusted... :icon_lol:

I'm happy to see that you found the solution !

Well, now you can fly "la grise" (the grey, the french nickname of the Noratlas), and me I can go to bed... So have a nice flight and see you later.

FSX68
February 3rd, 2013, 14:16

merci beaucoup

FSX68
February 3rd, 2013, 14:21
Wow! Didn't see this coming and it looks spectacular. I have hands on experience with the Noratlas. In 1989 we had one come into our ramp and at first, many on the field including the ATC's thought it was a C-119 derivative/modification. I was the only one who knew what it was because I had an old aviation book that had color templates of the Noratlas. The plane is huge although slightly smaller than the C-119 but it has a more aesthetic shape/look about it. The plane was registered in civilian markings from Uruguay but the owner was an East German(I assumed an expat/defector). They were coming from Canada with a Single Otter dismantled in the cargo hold and making fuel & customs stops on their way back to South America. I fueled the plane and put just under 600 gallons of Avgas on board and 36 quarts of mineral oil between the two radial engines(I've never put that much Avgas or Oil in any aircraft!). After they paid their bill(with cash), they set off and burned up almost all of the 7000 ft runway, rotated the nose gear off mid field before getting off the ground. They made a shallow turn to the South and rumbled off into the sunset. It was my one and only experience with a Noratlas but unforgettable.

How close is the sound in this flight sim version to the sound of the real one you saw and heard. I'm curious? Thanks. :engel016:

FSX68
February 3rd, 2013, 14:22

I'm happy to see that you found the solution !

Well, now you can fly "la grise" (the grey, the french nickname of the Noratlas), and me I can go to bed... So have a nice flight and see you later.

You do real well with the English my friend. Good night to you over there.

Doumet57
February 4th, 2013, 02:22
Thanks a lot Richoday, it was a pleasure.

Have a nice day.

lazarus
February 4th, 2013, 04:21
Superb! What a delight to come back from the road to. A joy to fly.

FSX68
February 4th, 2013, 13:01
No Richoday, that's normal...

The designer explain that when you start the engines with CTRL+E in spot view and then come back in the VC, the engines die because the magneto are not set.

So, in order to re-start the engines, there are three different manners to do that :

1. you do the starting procedure described above.
2. you check the box "Moteur : en route" (engine started) in the cockpit configuration table (which can be reached by the Noratlas-Shape button on the dashboard)
3. by using the "emergency starting button" which are localised at the bottom of the dashboard, on the left of the pedestal (19th page of the documentation).

The two final procedures allow :

magneto on setting
fuel flow opening
propeller pitch 100%
engine start
attitude indicator unblocked
radio and navigation systems on.

I'm sorry for the long time response but my english is very "rusted"...

Your item #3:
I am looking for that emergency button, can you reply with a photo of it. Thanks. :wavey:

Doumet57
February 4th, 2013, 13:37

The emergency start buttons are located here. ;)

Have a nice flight Gentlemen.

FSX68
February 4th, 2013, 13:47

The emergency start buttons are located here. ;)

Have a nice flight Gentlemen.

Thanks for the info. That works great!!! Appreciate it!

FSX68
February 4th, 2013, 15:45
I like this plane a lot and am grateful for the payware quality of this freeware craft...which brings me to my question.

Is there a way to dismiss the "freeware" reminder that pops up in the gauge?

Dexdoggy
February 4th, 2013, 16:11
To remove the Freeware notice just re-click the right-hand emergency start button!

This is a beautiful and fun aeroplane! Fantastic, very much appreciated! :applause::applause::applause:

Firekitten
February 4th, 2013, 23:11
In case anyone isn't happy with the serious nose down attitude when flying 'level', (realistic or not) Here's a fix:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/50293775/Nord%20Noratlas%20Air%20File%20Fix.zip

(Simply back up your old .air file, and replace it with this one)

I hope you find it helpful.

Doumet57
February 5th, 2013, 04:15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5-Uax_b2Dw

You wanted to know what was the sound in the real one... Here is a sample.

Take a place, look and listen...

Geomitrak
February 5th, 2013, 06:36
I can see out through the windows...

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/Geomitrak/Noratlas01_zpscbc82600.jpg

...but I can not see into the cockpit through them from the outside

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/Geomitrak/Noratlas02_zps559b329f.jpg

It looks like some kind of parasol to stop sunlight heating the cockpit up, but it is only visible in the external model, not the VC.

Firekitten
February 5th, 2013, 06:42
Looks more like the vc glass and the exterior glass aren't on speaking terms...

Anneke
February 5th, 2013, 07:10

ROFLAO that's indeed a feature of windows! :costum:

Geomitrak
February 5th, 2013, 07:18
ROFLAO that's indeed a feature of windows! :costum:

"ROFLAO"... and another feature is that you can also see IN through them, and thats the point I am making.

baernhard
February 5th, 2013, 07:18
With kindly permission by Project Noratlas !

Upload is done ...

... in next time available in the database.

Bernhard

Geomitrak
February 5th, 2013, 07:29
Very nice indeed, Bernhard !

EDIT: Where have you uploaded it to ?

baernhard
February 5th, 2013, 07:49
Thanks.
Upload in our database (please be patient until it's available) .

In a few days even to FLIGHTSIM.COM.

Bernhard

Geomitrak
February 5th, 2013, 07:57
Thanks.
Upload in our database (please be patient until it's available) .

In a few days even to FLIGHTSIM.COM.

Bernhard

Okay Bernhard, thanks very much.

Roger
February 5th, 2013, 09:03
Many thanks Bernhard:ernae:

FSX68
February 5th, 2013, 12:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5-Uax_b2Dw

You wanted to know what was the sound in the real one... Here is a sample.

Take a place, look and listen...

Very Nice, I can't place the engines sounds to anything similar to any American aircraft engines, perhaps German.

:engel016:

ncooper
February 5th, 2013, 23:08
Good morning,

This is my first post on this forum so thank you to SOH for the membership and to all the posters for the often valuable information.
Thanks also to Bernhard for the superb textures for this aircraft.

...but I can not see into the cockpit through them from the outside
It looks like some kind of parasol to stop sunlight heating the cockpit up, but it is only visible in the external model, not the VC.

The curtains are switchable using the "rideaux poste : O/N" box in the drop down menu in the VC,
remove the cross to remove the curtains.
http://www.ncooper00.force9.co.uk/Images/nord%20curtains.jpg (http://www.ncooper00.force9.co.uk/Images/nord%20curtains.jpg)

The engines are SNECMA 758/759 Hercules radial piston engines, a British design, made in France.

This is the best freeware aircraft I have seen for FSX, it seems the developers have modeled everything as near to real life as possible
and then added the means for those of us who do not fully understand the aircraft to fly it anyway.
There is a lot to learn but when it is learned, I think that the true quality of this model will be apparent.

Geomitrak
February 5th, 2013, 23:13
The curtains are switchable using the "rideaux poste : O/N" box in the drop down menu in the VC,
remove the cross to remove the curtains.

Well spotted, thanks for that ! The fact that they are not visible from inside the VC threw me.

Bruce Thompson
February 6th, 2013, 00:51
Hi ncooper,

Welcome to SOH and thanks for the info on the curtains.
I am sure you will enjoy any time you spend here it's a great knowledge base,
everyone is helpful and we have a grand selection of freeware developers who
keep us supplied with new aircraft and scenery for FSX.

I see you are in York, well I live not far away in Harrogate.

Regards

Bruce.

Geomitrak
February 6th, 2013, 00:56
I'm still exploring, but I'm starting to think that if there's ever a prize for the best freeware aircraft ever released for Microsoft Flight Simulator, this Noratlas will be among those nominated. The attention to detail is amazing, the VC is astoundingly good, and the fact that it's one of the less-familiar aircraft of its type only adds to the appeal. An absolute gem of a model, and it makes summoning up my schoolboy French a pleasure. Magnifique !!

ncooper
February 6th, 2013, 01:03
Bruce,
Thank you for the welcome, you live in the posh end then:salute:

I'm still exploring, but I'm starting to think that if there's ever a prize for the best freeware aircraft ever released for Microsoft Flight Simulator, this Noratlas will be among those nominated. The attention to detail is amazing, the VC is astoundingly good, and the fact that it's one of the less-familiar aircraft of its type only adds to the appeal. An absolute gem of a model, and it makes summoning up my schoolboy French a pleasure. Magnifique !!

Seconded.

Regards,
Nick

511Flyer
February 6th, 2013, 01:57
Was this aircraft in service with the Luftwaffe, or is the texture poetic licence? Nothing wrong with that I might add.

Dennis.

ps. Hi Nick!

511Flyer
February 6th, 2013, 02:06
If I'd Googled before I asked the question, I might not have embarrased myself.

D.

ncooper
February 6th, 2013, 02:10
Was this aircraft in service with the Luftwaffe, or is the texture poetic licence? Nothing wrong with that I might add.

Dennis.

ps. Hi Nick!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d8/Airforce_Museum_Berlin-Gatow_396.JPG/300px-Airforce_Museum_Berlin-Gatow_396.JPG

There's some interesting reading here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nord_Noratlas

Greetings Dennis.

Bruce Thompson
February 6th, 2013, 03:10
Bruce,
Thank you for the welcome, you live in the posh end then:salute:

Seconded.

Regards,
Nick

No I live in a mobile home not too bad though.

Bruce.

ncooper
February 6th, 2013, 03:37
It's still in Harrogate, definitely the posh end of Yorkshire:ernae:

baernhard
February 6th, 2013, 13:23
I made a small mistake.
There are different models.
For the German version please complete in the fltsim-entry "105".

Please excuse the error.

80595 80596

Bernhard

Bruce Thompson
February 6th, 2013, 14:29
Baernhard,

Thank you for this fine paint scheme and the above fix, it's a terrific job.

Regards
Bruce

Geomitrak
February 6th, 2013, 22:01
Thanks Bernhard.

Dimus
February 6th, 2013, 22:37
Yep. I just found this out last evening when painting the booms. My version of the camo is different so I won't be duplicating your work. Grey-Green wraps around the booms and the demarkation lines are differently laid. Aligning the camo from left to right halves is quite hard. You have done a terrific job Baernhard.

Dimus
February 11th, 2013, 12:46
Bernhard or anyone if you can...

Have you found where the starboard side aileron trim tabs are mapped? I've tried everywhere in the wings texture. Are they mapped in another sheet?

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/ModelConverterX2013-02-1123-37-11-89_zps26c6ecfb.jpg

Aligning the camo was not easy but I'm almost there. Now to the markings and some weathering. I just hope I find those trim tabs...

Dimus
February 12th, 2013, 01:19
Any idea on the trim tab? I am at a loss with that...

oldpropfan
February 12th, 2013, 23:49
Don't know if it's any help but there was a layered paint kit released at Flightsim, file name: projet_noratlas_paintkit.zip

edit: Just took a look and it's has a layer with labels for various parts and areas, also a mesh layer to help line things up.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll279/oldpropfan/Nord_Ailes_zpsbf9f85e1.jpg

Quite the nice paintkit, actually surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, thank you to the authors for a great aircraft.

Al

Dimus
February 13th, 2013, 00:01
Well I didn't know that. That will make things much easier for me. I'll go get it. Thanks a million!

Dimus
February 20th, 2013, 12:47
Still a WIP but close. The right aileron trim tab still eludes me despite the instructions in the paint kit. Any suggestion would be welcome.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/fsx2013-02-2023-49-26-86_zpsf1b129af.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/fsx2013-02-2023-41-58-81_zps7d500386.jpg

William Njurmi
February 25th, 2013, 23:00
I finally got a chance to do a test flight with this special bird. It reminded me of early eighties when my friend got himself a Heller 1/72 plastic kit - it was a cause for a great envy! I also saw a Luftwaffe Nord in Gatow.

Virtual cockpit is really well made and the feel of the plane is incredibly good. I also think that she flies right, the heavy feel is present and beefy sounds add to that experience.

I had to use Benoit´s manual in english, so I had some setbacks starting up the engines. It seems that my plane lacks the "étouffoir" switch, and what does it do? Benoit says "open the "étouffoir", I don´t understand what opens and where? Ignition? Also I´m not sure if I located right the "red fuel injection" button. Anyway this left me only with the moteurs en route option. Then the CHT began to raise, does this plane have cowler flaps?

kdl
February 26th, 2013, 03:34
In case you are using this English manual
- n25v1_gb.zip (flightsim)
you cannot follow step by step. This version is from an old FS2004 Noratlas and gives just a basic overview for this new FSX model (auxiliary manual)

Here is a short help how to start engines manually:

Power is already supplied after choosing the FSX Noratlas aircraft.

- Open the six fuel valves (robinets carburant)
They are placed at the real cockpit wall - top right - (see original manual, page 25)
- Magnetos Moteur Gauche (left engine), left red lever, in position full up
- yellow lever full up
- green lever full up
- press green starter button (allumage moteur gauche) some (4-5) seconds

Left engine will start
- draw back yellow lever

Do the same for right r/h engine

Don't forget:
- The aircraft is equipped with an automatic mixture enrichment. This must be activated in FSX (see original manual, Activer la richesse automatique, page 26)

Dieter

William Njurmi
February 26th, 2013, 05:37
Yes, that was the manual.

Thank you for the tips. And those cowler flaps?

ncooper
February 26th, 2013, 07:29
It seems that the "cowl flaps" are in fact flaps over the oil coolers.
I cannot see an external animation and assume that they are inside
and hidden from view.

These are controlled by two small levers at the lower right corner of the top
of the pedestal, just above the full throttle position of the throttle levers.
If you hover the mouse over them, "Radiateur Huile 1" and "Radiateur Huile 2"
tooltips appear.

There is a gauge in the centre of the panel marked "volets".

Right clicking on the levers opens the flaps in stages, you can see the gauge
needles move down towards the open (ouvert) position.
Left clicking the same levers closes them in stages, moving the needles up towards
the closed (ferme) position.

William Njurmi
February 26th, 2013, 11:34
Ok, that should keep this baby´s heart beating. Thanks.

Dimus
March 10th, 2013, 08:08
I finally managed to finish this. The scheme is a bit different than Baernhard's in that the lines are different and it wraps lower on the fuselage. It represents one of the Cyprus raiders. I tried adding some more engine exhaust stains and panel shadowing all around and reducing the shine a bit. I used an updated model provided by JF Martin that corrects the mapping of the ailerons and the trim tabs. I don't think JFM has posted it anywhere. If you don't have it the ailerons will show mirrored and the trim tabs unpainted. If you have it then the non-camo schemes will not be affected.

Uploaded here and at Avsim. Few shots below:

The real thing:

Roger
March 10th, 2013, 09:02
Great job Dimus:applause:

Dimus
March 10th, 2013, 13:48
Thanks Roger!

The new model along with other enhancements was posted by the authors on Avsim today as "Upgrate 2" here:

http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=175720

The HAF paint is here:
http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=175715

and here:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=3&linkid=15560

I might try the later SEAC scheme if I have some more free time.

Geomitrak
March 11th, 2013, 13:25
This Noratlas gets better and better. I didn't realize they were operational in time to see service in French Indochina - I had assumed the leased C-119s as flown by James 'Earthquake McGoon' McGovern were the largest transports the French ever had at their disposal before they withdrew. Interesting !

Firekitten
March 11th, 2013, 15:43
yeah c119's would be the largest... they're a bit bigger than the Noratlas.

siebolt
March 13th, 2013, 01:24
Hi guys, I'm new here, but have a problem with the paintkit of the Noratlas. I use PSP Pro X5 and normally can open any PSD file. NOT with the Nord_Fuselage.psd. Instead of layers I get all the layers in individual files. When I open it in CS5 there is no problem. But in CS5 can't save it as a psp file.
Anyone can help????

Geomitrak
March 13th, 2013, 02:27
yeah c119's would be the largest... they're a bit bigger than the Noratlas.

But much heavier than the Noratlas, and it seems the French aircraft could carry a greater load - 18000 lb compared to the Boxcar's 10,000 lbs (warning: Wikipedia figures - the actual facts may differ ). The history of French air operations out there is very interesting. Until the arrival of the C-47, they were using Ju-52s to drop paratroopers. And very often the PB4Y Privateer became a tactical bomber.

roger-wilco-66
March 13th, 2013, 04:30
a bit off topic, sorry, but anyone heard of Milviz's C-119 they wanted to make? I think it was announced some time ago (end of 2011 me thinks).

Cheers,
Mark

Firekitten
March 13th, 2013, 05:19
I wish... Not heard a thing myself. Pity... I REALLY want one!

Geomitrak
March 13th, 2013, 10:09
Yes, I'd like a C-119 too. Any news, Milviz ?

Dimus
March 14th, 2013, 02:17
Another fix has been posted by the team. Currently only at Simviation:

http://simviation.com/1/<wbr>browse-Vintage-66-0?mark=<wbr>43371#43371 (http://simviation.com/1/browse-Vintage-66-0?mark=43371#43371)

Thanks to Hans-Juergen Kasper for the info.

Thoe6969
March 14th, 2013, 05:38
Yesterday I installed the new update 2 and everything was fine.Today I entered the text in the aircraft file for the new paint that came with the update now I have a blinking sign over one of the gauges that says (JFM Freeware ) on all the paints and can't figure out whats causing it.Any ideas?

Dimus
March 14th, 2013, 05:59
Yesterday I installed the new update 2 and everything was fine.Today I entered the text in the aircraft file for the new paint that came with the update now I have a blinking sign over one of the gauges that says (JFM Freeware ) on all the paints and can't figure out whats causing it.Any ideas?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?75356-FSX-Nord-2501-Noratlas-released&p=781141&viewfull=1#post781141

Thoe6969
March 14th, 2013, 06:15
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?75356-FSX-Nord-2501-Noratlas-released&p=781141&viewfull=1#post781141 Thanks a lot,works like a charm.

Roger
April 13th, 2013, 15:38
If you are using Dx10 a la Steve Parsons then you may experience some issues with the lighting. Although the lights are modelled in, the ballast fix works placed under the lights section...

[lights]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing, 6=Taxi, 7=Recognition, 8=Wing, 9=Logo, 10=Cabin
light.0 = 1, 0.00, 0.00, 0.00, ballast
light.1 = 2, 0.00, 0.00, 0.00, ballast
light.2 = 3, 0.00, 0.00, 0.00, ballast

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/04/13/zqlX5.jpg

Roger
April 14th, 2013, 02:54
I have all the updates (I think?) but there is a "model.Nora" in the folder that only has an exterior mdl file, no interior.mdl and no mdl.cfg. Anyone help on this issue?

ncooper
April 14th, 2013, 10:14
I have all the updates (I think?) but there is a "model.Nora" in the folder that only has an exterior mdl file, no interior.mdl and no mdl.cfg. Anyone help on this issue?

Thanks for pointing this out, I, for one, had not spotted it.

To correct this apparent error, first open your model.nora\model.cfg file and copy the text below over the existing text.

[models]
normal=Nord_Nora_Exterieur
interior=Nord_FSX_Interieur

Then open any of the other model folders and copy the Nord_FSX_Interieur.mdl file into the model.nora folder.
Thanks to your keen observation, I now have one more working model that I had not realised was missing.

Regards,
Nick.

Firekitten
April 14th, 2013, 11:10
What's the difference?

Roger
April 14th, 2013, 11:41
Thanks for pointing this out, I, for one, had not spotted it.

To correct this apparent error, first open your model.nora\model.cfg file and copy the text below over the existing text.

[models]
normal=Nord_Nora_Exterieur
interior=Nord_FSX_Interieur

Then open any of the other model folders and copy the Nord_FSX_Interieur.mdl file into the model.nora folder.
Thanks to your keen observation, I now have one more working model that I had not realised was missing.

Regards,
Nick.

Thanks Nick, I now have the Nora flying:ernae:

Roger
April 14th, 2013, 11:42
What's the difference?

Dunno, but some repaints call for the Nora mdl.

Dimus
April 14th, 2013, 12:54
Yes, my Greek one does, because it has the correct aerial arrangement for the HAF birds.

Roger
April 14th, 2013, 14:30
Just discovered that you don't need to enable auto mixture in the main aircraft realism menu. Just open the aircraft.cfg and change the "0" to "1". Under...

[piston_engine]
fuel_air_auto_mixture= 0 to 1

At 21600' with auto mixture deselected in aircraft realism but enabled in the aircraft.cfg

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/04/14/w8GpN.jpg

Aharon
October 6th, 2019, 15:55
FSX98 says:OK, after trial and error I think I have solved the conundrum of keeping the engines running and other issues.In external mode I can start engines with conventional CTRL + E and then I have to do the following to keep them running when I am in the Virtual cockpit view.

Attachment 80382 (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80382)Then the a big white panel will pop (you have to pan up a bit to see it. Then select what I have circled in red. This kept the engines running no matter what view I was in.You can dismiss the white panel; just click on the little red X in the lower right corner.

Does anybody have screenshot sample of that please?

Oh by the way, sorry for bringing up this very old thread

If you are referring to Israeli ones, where can I find those please?

Thanks,

Aharon

Regards,

Aharon