PDA

View Full Version : Create a "coiled" spring. How?

OleBoy
January 30th, 2013, 13:56
I've attempted to create a coiled spring with 7 coils. Two coils tight at each end with three evenly spaced in the middle. All attempts have not been to my liking.
I'm sure it has to do with my settings. I create a cylinder (4 sided) and then string it out to length. Then add to it 24 sections in height. I add the "bend" modifier and bend it to half circle. Stop, convert to editable poly, then start again. This time moving the bend gizmo a little up the length and adding a slightly different direction to "pass" the starting point of the first coil as it continues to bend past the starting point. I understand the concept in creating the spring, Just not the "correct" settings to use that will work right.

A Google search did not find anything for either Gmax, or 3DsMax for a tutorial. And again I'm lost in the help files for this one. :sleep:

SOLVED!

Dev One
January 30th, 2013, 23:48
Try a Torus..... split it open by deleting one set of polygons..... then displace the ends to create the helix. Once you have one coil, copy & paste as many as you need attaching each one & welding the vertices - might be easier if convert to polygons rather that converting to a mesh. (I always work in polys, not meshes!)
The above is just a thought as have not tried to do it yet!
Good luck
Keith

hairyspin
January 31st, 2013, 04:12
You can make a helix spline, set a suitable mesh thickness and tick 'Display mesh'. For this to show in the sim it needs an Edit Mesh modifier on the stack or convert to edtable poly.

OleBoy
January 31st, 2013, 08:02
Very nice of you gentlemen to assist in my edjumicashon.

You can make a helix spline, set a suitable mesh thickness and tick 'Display mesh'. For this to show in the sim it needs an Edit Mesh modifier on the stack or convert to edtable poly.

Funny you mention "For this to show in sim", as it is not displaying in-sim, or MCX.
I'm not quite clear how I need to have the stack modifiers. Does it simply take clicking on the coil, then add the edit mesh above? I have tried both that you mention.
You'll have to excuse me. My significant other was cutting logs (snoring) all night and I did not get much sleep. :sleep:

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/7487/helixo.jpg

Dev One
January 31st, 2013, 10:45
If its not showing in the sim after exporting to FS9 or FSX, then you have found the dreaded 4 mm weld limit, or the 65K poly limit. The 4mm weld can be simply a setting in makemdl.exe.
There are ways around the 65K limit I believe but I've not used them.
Lots of things show up OK in Gmax, but unfortunately do not transfer!
Keith

OleBoy
January 31st, 2013, 10:55
Poly count is currently around 23K so far.
As for the spring not being displayed, I know about the 4mm limit, although there is a wire on the oil cap that is smaller in diameter, and it shows fine.
It must be my settings. I'm just not sure what.

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/1295/helix1i.jpg

hairyspin
January 31st, 2013, 11:15
Yes, put an Edit Mesh modifier on the stack as your screenshot shows. The Turn to Poly modifier is unnecessary, converting to E-poly is done by right-clicking on object or name and selecting Convert To: Editable Poly

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/7296/helixh.jpg

Actually I hadn't noticed the Turn to Poly modifier before but I suspect it's for another purpose, must investigate!

hairyspin
January 31st, 2013, 11:34
If its not showing in the sim after exporting to FS9 or FSX, then you have found the dreaded 4 mm weld limit, or the 65K poly limit

If building for FSX/P3D the weld limit is 1mm, not 4mm: that's how these beautifully detailed VCs with 3D gauges are possible. The 64K (65,536) vertex limit per object (not per model...) is a limitation, but FSX also has a more abstruse limit of 64K texture vertices per material. However you're not at that stage yet!

OleBoy
January 31st, 2013, 11:54
Thanks for the assist, Tom. I'll mess with the setting some more. I may resort in making new coils to get a fresh start. I haven't yet figured out how to get a part back to where I can edit it's size like when it first gets created. If that is do able, I don't know.

hairyspin
January 31st, 2013, 12:04
If you haven't collapsed the stack or converted to E-Poly, click on Helix in the stack and you'll find the settings can be modified. This sort of functionality is what gives Gmax and 3ds Max such modeling power.

OleBoy
January 31st, 2013, 12:08
Yeah, I was aware of being to edit when not collapsed, I was hoping for a way to get back to square one without having to re-create the part. The stack is usually flattened and I kill the option to edit the part further. Wishful thinking anyway!
So, 3Dsmax has the options I mention? Nice to have!

hairyspin
January 31st, 2013, 12:27
So, 3Dsmax has the options I mention? Nice to have!

And then some, but it's very expensive! ... and Gmax is actually phenomenally capable, after 5 years I'm still finding out new things about it.

Have a look at the sticky above on Getting Started With Gmax (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?73237-Getting-Started-With-Gmax) for details on multiple undo levels, incremental saves and automatic backups. Set 'em up and you'll wonder why you ever risked losing your work before. :jump:

OleBoy
January 31st, 2013, 12:46
The options you mention, "setting up Gmax" have already been set first thing.

Paranoia settings as follows: :icon_lol:

200 - Get me outta here's!
Auto-save @ 5 minutes

Incremental back-ups since project started = 48 (time to delete a bunch in between)

By the way, I remade a helix. Wire thickness of 4mm. It's larger than the one I initially created. I'll pop in the MCX to have a peek so I can decide if I want to run with that size, or create a texture for it and be done with it.

UPDATE: After exporting the new helix as you suggest, it still will not show in MCX. Very odd. I guess it's time to test in-sim to see if I get the same result.

UPDATE 2: I'll be a monkeys cousin. I hid the previous helix and popped the new one in it's place. When tested in MCX, not visible!
When I loaded it in P3D, both the old and new coils were then visible? Alright, now I'm really confused here. :isadizzy:

Milton Shupe
January 31st, 2013, 17:02
One of the advantages of saving frequently is that you can "Merge" in the helix (or any) object from a previous version saved to restart the process.

Sometimes I do that when I have created a hidden problem not noticed until many versions later.