PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with this picture?

PRB
January 30th, 2013, 04:34
You have to love Windows. This is the error I get when attempting to logon to a machine through Remote Desktop for the first time. Ok, Mr. Gates, just how am I supposed to change my password before logging on for the first time, hmm? And after clicking the "OK" button, the message goes away, and you can't log on! That's awesome.

- Paul

glh
January 30th, 2013, 06:41
I don't think Windows Security can get any better than that !!!! Let us know if you find a work-around.

n4gix
January 30th, 2013, 07:16
One might suspect that the password must be set up ON the "Remote Machine" prior to attempting to logon remotely, which would require whoever has physical access to the "Remote Machine" doing just that... :mixedsmi:

PRB
January 30th, 2013, 08:22
One might suspect that the password must be set up ON the "Remote Machine" prior to attempting to logon remotely, which would require whoever has physical access to the "Remote Machine" doing just that... :mixedsmi:

Well, yes. But I'm the one who created the accounts in the first place, so the password is already setup. I was testing a student account that I created, remotely. If you're sitting at the workstation, the logon procedure works correctly. But if you haven't loged on at least once, the remote logon attempt fails as described above. Which is a bit of a hassle for me, since I'm in Missouri and the classroom is in Delaware... :) I asked somebody on site there to test the login, and it works, so I'm assuming (yikes) then rest will work too...

Dangerousdave26
January 30th, 2013, 08:33
If it is Windows 7 Enterprise the newer security is really tight compared to XP. We are finding a lot of things we used to manage remotely can no longer be done anywhere other than directly on the PC. It going to be a real pain for our Operations folks.

Sieggie
January 30th, 2013, 09:22
Go back into ADUC and uncheck the change password on next login. As I remember, Active Directory defaults to this. You should then be able to log in using RDC. You should use a good password if you are using this procedure, just in case the user is too lazy to change the password after logging in from the initial password.

Dave

KellyB
January 30th, 2013, 12:47
When in USAF, I managed to lose my winter gloves.

The two striper in supply repeatedly insisted that in order to get a new pair, I had to turn in the old ones. Efforts on my part to clear the fog in his poor head failed.
Finally got the head honcho to deal with it. I guess he would be the system administrator.

Catch 22

Kiwikat
January 30th, 2013, 19:44
There are so many M$ issues at work. It really is a shame we can't use Unix/Linux for everything. We were joking about one of our windows servers today. We were shocked it got to 6 days of up time. The Unix boxes go on for months without any issues... :mixedsmi: :mixedsmi: :mixedsmi:

So glad I am a programmer and don't have to deal with that stuff. I don't think I could deal with it for very long... :X

N428ER
January 31st, 2013, 06:05
So glad I am a programmer
Programmer Schmogrammer

demorier
February 1st, 2013, 16:30
They create all that painful junk but still do not have a useful reg cleaner, even for admin purposes.