PDA

View Full Version : Our Dream

Paul Domingue
January 28th, 2013, 14:10
Rather then steal anyone's thread I am starting this one.

Well it seems there is some enthusiasm for my dream, I should say our dream now, and I hope this can continue to fruition. The idea of having our own time machine and flying in a WWII era world has me very-very excited. Let's keep this going.

With artistic designers creating the likes of;
Tom's Chi-Chi Jima and now Tinian, Saipan and Guam
Mark's Solomon 1943
Francois' Normandy 1944
All the great modelers making both payware and freeware vintage aircraft.
The work of excellent repaint artists.
The AI gurus.
And I'm sure there is a lot more out there that I'm not aware of.

The SOH TS server has the "Developers Corner\The Vintage Era" channel and it looks as though the server costs are about to be covered in total for another year so we should be able to have a dedicated flying area.

I can see it now, island hopping in your favorite aircraft. Dog fighting with your friends. Flying on and off AI carriers. Taking those really nice screen shots everybody likes. How about trying the Doolittle Raid, that's one I'd like to try. The possibilities are endless as well as the fun.

falcon409
January 28th, 2013, 16:46
Sounds like a great endeavor Paul. Scenery-wise there is plenty to choose from and more on the horizon. Heaven knows there shouldn't be any shortage of P-51's about, although I doubt they were used in the Pacific as much as some other aircraft types. I have been meandering about the ChiChiJima/Iwo Jima scenery as well as the Truk Atoll areas and really enjoying the scenery and the "explosions". Several went off after having just taken off from an airfield and caught me completely off guard. . .very impressive and sure got my attention, lol. Now The Solomons_V2 is about to be released and a new scenery project has been announced. . . .it (the Pacific Theater) will be a "target rich environment" to be sure.

I hope that those who have already shown an interest in this, follow through and commit to being regular attendees. With the amount of WWII related threads in any given month, participation should be quite high. . .I would think.:salute:

warchild
January 28th, 2013, 17:21
I have lots of dreams. Flying with friends anywhere in the world, in any time frame: Dancing in the clouds and doing somersaults; Running a midnight raid on the japanese train yards near kunming in a P-61, staying alive..
I cant tell you how incredibly excited i've been the last few days over the proposals and directions i see us moving in. Perhaps our dream will come true, if we make it..
Pam

roger-wilco-66
January 28th, 2013, 21:58
Sounds like we're on a mission :-)
Or as Bob Hoover used to say when opening the Reno competition: "Gentlemen, we have a race".

Cheers,
Mark

FentiFlier1
January 28th, 2013, 22:59
Yes, FSX has great potential as a historical flight sim.

For several years now, my dream has been an up-to-date and "serious" WWII combat flight sim.
I mean with A2A/Flight replicas/Warbirdsim type (etc.) quality planes and realistic period scenery like the upcoming Solomon Islands...

Well it looks as though that's not going to happen. But FSX is evolving towards it...

Very exciting!

warchild
January 28th, 2013, 23:16
Not going to happen???
its happening..
Hopefully VRS will release their weapons pack for more than just their aircraft. Cap't sim already has weapons out. People are experimenting with them as well as various types of radar ( both GCI and Air intercept ) in multiplayer roles.
With A2A, VS, Iris, MilViz, Milton Shupe and many others producing or having produced quality aircraft, and flight Model engineers such as myself and Paul Frimston willing to put in the elbow grease to bring those flight models up to date where needed and in line with historical accuracy, its happening..
Your dream isnt not going to happen, its not going to not happen. Its a lot of our dreams.. And with server software such as FSOpen, jitterless, lag free multiplayer flying is possible for the first time in history ( http://www.fsopen.co.uk/ ).
Dont lose hope yet..
or,as a now famous add once said. "Welcome to Air Combat. Bring a friend, and shoot him down."

FentiFlier1
January 28th, 2013, 23:27
Yeah, that's what I mean Pam: going to happen within FSX. :salute:

Unless there's something I missed, it doesn't look as though a dedicated WWII simulator (high quality) will happen in the next few years.

And it doesn't matter, because as you say, with all these talented people working on it, FSX is filling the gap with style!

We will recreate WWII yet! (ouch, that sounds a bit off...)

warchild
January 29th, 2013, 00:17
We will recreate WWII yet! (ouch, that sounds a bit off...)

:::LOL::: Thats what I'm afraid of.. As long as we dont recreate the hate and the prejudice that went with it..

wombat666
January 29th, 2013, 01:00
The only way to get what you want is to create it yourself, using FSX as the basis.
Given the outstanding scenery and environment mods available there is no reason why a 'Virtual WW.II' scenario can't be realised.
All you need are the people with the same idea.
:kilroy:

jeansy
January 29th, 2013, 01:24
yep 2013 is looking great already and is even looking even better as each week goes by

Paul Domingue
February 6th, 2013, 17:54
I'm happy to announce that thanks to Dangerousdave26 we now have an SOH sponsored Team Speak Channel and a FSHost area where we can fly together in a WWII era simulation. All that is required is to bring your favorite warbird. It will greatly enhance your enjoyment if you download all the beautiful scenery designed to represent the era. My thanks to the designers who have spent so much time recreating the FS world from the mid 1930s to the 40s and to all those who expressed an interest in this multiplayer simulation which gave me the incentive to pursue it and of course Sim Outhouse.

Hope to see you there
Paul

roger-wilco-66
February 7th, 2013, 00:14
I have to try that one of these days. I never went multiplayer with FSX/P3D so far.

I hope P3D will cope with FSX on MP, I think I've read somewhere that there might be problems.

Cheers,
Mark

Francois
February 7th, 2013, 02:09
Learning to make better models.... will take me three years.. but I'll join multiplayer when I am retired :-) Meanwhile, happy to see 'my' hobby has so many enthusiasts.

warchild
February 7th, 2013, 03:18
With FSOpen there shouldnt be any problems Mark.. FSHost due to its communication layers and more primitive technology has certain issues that you wont find in fsopen.. However, I'm ignorant in regards to what it would take to set up and fsopen server..

Dangerousdave26
February 7th, 2013, 06:18
FSOpen is not a solution we can use.

Its actually not correct to compare FSopen to FSHost.

FSHost is a server program for hosting multiplayer sessions with Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002, 2004, FSX, as well as Lockheed Martin's Prepar3D. It does not require that any Flight Simulator program be installed to accomplish this task.

FSOpen is actually more of a replacement for GameSpy. It does not actually host the session. FSX must be installed and running to actually host the session directly. This is why it appears to be a better hosting platform than FSHost because you are actually just connecting to a direct connection session of FSX. FSopen gives the host more control over the session. From looking at the feature list it has some nice features.

There are numerous issue that will prevent us from installing and running FSX on the server.

warchild
February 7th, 2013, 06:26
Least of which being that the server is most likely linux based.. That would preclude FSx in a heartbeat..

Paul Domingue
February 7th, 2013, 13:07
Granted, you can't fly tight formations or things of that type due to lag on FSHost, but that was not the intention in my mind. I was thinking of a place for like minded people to fly together and compare notes on aircraft models and scenery and anything else that would be of interest. A nice place to meet your friends and meet new friends who enjoy the era aircraft. Just making things more sociable for the community. I personally miss flying with friends and I can always use the lag as an excuse for the reason I crashed rather then my flying abilities. :icon_lol:

I'm all for new and improved methods of multiplayer connections but I would like to see those improvements stay within the SOH community and work across all the FS platforms, the key word here is community.