PDA

View Full Version : Tinian, Saipan and Guam Scenery

stovall
January 28th, 2013, 07:31
Here is a first look at my new project. It includes the small island north of Saipan with Pagan Airfield, still in Japanese hands after being bypassed, Saipain, Tinian, Rota, still in Japanese hands after being bypassed and Guam. The research has been fun and eye opening. This picture is of North Field on Tinian. It was the largest and busiest airfield in the world in 1945. A B-29 took off every 30 minutes. If there was trouble on the runway or say engine trouble, bulldozers were ready to push her out of the way into the junk pill. I didn't believe it but saw a picture of the junk pill. Another interesting fact is that the 509th that carried the atom bomb had multiple tail codes. The reason for this is there were Japanese hold outs in the jungle of Tinian with a radio. They would never know which planes belonged to the 509th Bomb Wing. The Enola Gay had a large R in a circle on the tail. Here is a first picture of North Field Tinian.

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss169/tlstovall/Tinianadvanced_zpsda7e1d40.jpg

FentiFlier1
January 28th, 2013, 07:55
Excellent, looking forward to more screenies!

Pacific theatre enthusiasts are being spoilt something rotten!

Owen.

MudMarine
January 28th, 2013, 08:17
NICE!!!

Ian Warren
January 28th, 2013, 11:13
:eek: Imagine an AI guru getting in on the act ... all those B-29s on the move ! :icon_eek:

Bomber_12th
January 28th, 2013, 12:02
Great news, Tom, and thanks for the early preview! I have always been amazed at the size and complexity of those B-29 bases. The mesh and terrain looks very detailed, as does the layout of the airfield itself. (I also like the skyscape in your screenshot!)

(For anyone interested in looking at photos of Pacific Theatre airfields: http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48346)

Ian Warren
January 28th, 2013, 12:47
Thanks for the link John , Be interesting to see what these areas or airfield look like today , a steamroller in airstrip making .. mind boggling !

roger-wilco-66
January 28th, 2013, 12:53
Awesome stuff, Tom! Looking forward!!

Cheers,
Mark

Paul Domingue
January 28th, 2013, 12:54
Excellent work stovall! Another part of my dream seems to be unfolding.

stovall
January 28th, 2013, 13:25
John, thanks for the link to the photos. I have seen some of these but you can't get enough pictures when you are trying for accuracy. All of the airfields well be a accurate and detailed as I can make them. The North Field on Tinian is made almost exactly as it was. I found some really good diagrams. Thanks again.

Sundog
January 28th, 2013, 18:26
Oh, thanks. Now you're going to make me import my FS9 A2A B-29! (No, I haven't done it yet). I really need to get the Privateer imported into FSX as well.

Great work, btw, I used to have the WW2 version in FSX and flew a lot of missions out of it.

rayhere48
January 28th, 2013, 18:59
I would like to import the A2A bomber B-29 also. Is it a straight port over? I know that some have a problem with the glass in the cockpit. Sorry to get off topic, I just get excited about WW2 stuff for FS.

mfitch
January 28th, 2013, 20:58
This will be great. I already have a CVE track around there. This gives another reason to fly warbirds in that area.

JohnT1949
January 29th, 2013, 04:55
I was stationed at NAS Guam for two years back in the early 70's. Can't wait to try your scenery out. We flew all around these islands and on to the Phillipines over to Japan and back to Guam. I fell in love with Guam, it's a beautiful island.

robert41
January 29th, 2013, 11:01
Thanks Tom. This is going to be another winner.

I would like to import the A2A bomber B-29 also. Is it a straight port over? I know that some have a problem with the glass in the cockpit. Sorry to get off topic, I just get excited about WW2 stuff for FS. [/INDENT]]

I have the old WOP B29 in FSX Acc. I found some of the gauges would not show. A quick adjustment in the panel cfg fixed them.

stovall
January 29th, 2013, 20:32
Here is another preview picture. Was testing the lights for placement and found this at sundown.

(http://)http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss169/tlstovall/NorthFieldEvening_zps6c14af12.jpg

falcon409
January 29th, 2013, 21:12
Whoa Tom, that's an amazing shot (the scenery looks terrific too by the way, lol).