PDA

View Full Version : OT: Mosquito and Anson Videos

Bomber_12th
January 27th, 2013, 12:51
I saw these posted by Avspecs this weekend, and wanted to share them here.

This first video is of the now well known Mosquito KA114, owned by Jerry Yagen, built and restored through a combination of the efforts of Glyn Powell and Avspecs. This video is from the aircraft's final flight over Auckland, New Zealand. The aircraft is now in the process of being disassembled, as the ship that will be carrying the aircraft to the U.S. is leaving on February 15th. It has been a joy to see the aircraft make as long of an extended stay as it has in New Zealand, and being a part of several air shows and fly-overs. The plan is to have the aircraft assembled, and hopefully flying, in time for Jerry Yagen's Military Aviation Museum's big warbird air show in May, at the Museum's location in Virginia Beach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kehMfW9UnPA

This second video was shot by Warren Denholm (owner of Avspecs) from the right seat of Bill and Robyn Reid's rare Avro Anson (the world's only flying example in military configuration), that first flew last year following a lengthy restoration. The video was taken while the aircraft was being displayed during the recent Wings Over Wairarapa air show. I absolutely love this aircraft, as not only is it extremely rare, it also has every last little detail and piece of hardware in it that it had back when it was in service during WWII. If you are not familiar with this aircraft, you have to do an internet search for "Bill Reid Avro Anson". The pilot in the video is Dave Phillips (one of the most experienced warbird pilots and test pilots in New Zealand), who along with Kieth Skilling, was one of the two test pilots of Jerry Yagen's Mosquito (and has done quite a bit of test pilot duty for Avspecs) - Dave has the honor of being the very first of the two to fly that Mosquito.

Note the sound of the air brakes. ; )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir5Rg2M3ytg

Bomber_12th
January 27th, 2013, 13:17
And this is another great recent video of KA114 (and friends) that has been making the rounds, which was also filmed at Wings Over Wairarapa. The sound is awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxq_JhMIFe8

Python231
January 27th, 2013, 14:58
Thank you for sharing these. Hope you guys enjoy the mozzie as much as we did here in nz :jump:

jetstreamsky
January 27th, 2013, 15:07
I've been following all the Mozzie videos, truly wonderful aircraft, but the flight routine flown there with the Anson is remarkable. :salute:

skyhawka4m
January 27th, 2013, 15:08
John....will you be at the show in Virginia?

dharris
January 27th, 2013, 16:42
Thank you for sharing. Always a thrill to see and hear the recips.

Bomber_12th
January 27th, 2013, 16:48
John, it's not in the cards I'm affraid - I was hoping to see it at Oshkosh this summer, where Jerry was planning on displaying both the Mosquito and his Me-262, but it was mentioned through an aviation web site a few weeks ago, that Jerry won't be going ahead with this as EAA has stated that it won't be paying any part of the fuel bill to get the aircraft there, which was something that was going to be expected if those aircraft were to attend (it sounds like there might not be a shortage of other air shows which will be paying to have the Mosquito attend). I would like to get up to the Canadian Warplane Heritage air show in June, which will be hosting Jerry's Mosquito, Hurricane, Spitfire, and Skyraider, in addition to VWOC's Spitfire and Hurricane, combined with CWH's Lancaster, Firefly, Lysander, and other rare to see warbirds - during the show, the plan is to have the Mosquito, both Hurricanes, both Spitfires, and the Lancaster all flying formation together!

Jetstreamsky, I fully agree. It's really something to see that aircraft displayed like that - as was stated on the Wings Over New Zealand forum, performing a display like that takes quite a bit of strength and control to wrangle the Anson around the sky in such a way. While Warren Denholm, owner of Avspecs, was provided that ride in Bill Reid's Anson while at the Wings Over Wairarapa air show, Bill Reid was given a ride in the Mosquito. ; )

Naki
January 28th, 2013, 17:40
Thanks for posting those. You beat me to it John...was going to post the formation flyover but I'm too slow. I wish I made that airshow but commtiments with family etc meant I couldn't. Luckily I caught up with the Mosquito last year (and the beautifuly restored Anson) and saw a smaller formation with a Mustang, Spitfire and Kittyhawk. IMV the Mossie is the best sounding aircraft I've heard..its even better with a few more Merlins and Allisons in the mix. ...looking forward to seeing vids of the Canadian formation

Will miss seeing the Mossie, but look forward to the next Mossie off the line. I wish one was here to stay though as Glynn Powell's is off to the UK a year after completion. Peter Jackson went for a ride in Jerry's Mossie so maybe that will convince him to expand beyond the WW1 collection. In any case we are lucky for such a small country to have the amazing amount of warbirds we have.