PDA

View Full Version : RA-5C Vigilante. Anyone working on it?

Navy Chief
January 6th, 2009, 11:44
Alphasim did one for FS9, and I think there was a freeware model by someone else.

But does anyone know if this impressive aircraft is on the planning boards for FSX?

Thanks.

I only had limited experience working on Viggies at Pax River. Gotta tell you though, I was on the Kitty Hawk's flight deck during ACLS carquals, when a Viggie was on the cats. Those birds were powerful!

NC

mike678
January 6th, 2009, 12:26
Wingsware is working on one:

http://www.wingsware.com/aircrafts/RA5c/RA5c_page.html

I hope they get the flight control animation correct. North American used a unique roll control method seen only on the A-5 and F-107. Neither alphasim nor the old freeware version got this right. Regardless, this is my favorite Navy fast jet and I'm almost sure to buy it.

Navy Chief
January 6th, 2009, 13:02
Thanks for the information!

NC

Prowler1111
January 6th, 2009, 14:37
..NC..you know we are.........:whistle:
Prowler

Navy Chief
January 6th, 2009, 14:45
senility strikes again............:help:

Railrunner130
January 6th, 2009, 15:28
I think Kazunori Ito did an RA-5. It'd be nice to see both the RA-5 and F-108 Rapier (which the Vigilante was based on.)

michael davies
January 6th, 2009, 16:10
Neither alphasim nor ........... version got this right. Regardless, this is my favorite Navy fast jet and I'm almost sure to buy it.

Are you sure ?, I thought the AS one was pretty good replicating the roll control....with the tools and animation tags available at the time.

Seem to remember it had rollerons for want of a better word, a set on top and below the wing working in conjunction with each other on opposite wings to produce roll.

Addendum, just rechecked the model, well wadda ya know, they didnt, first time I've known any one spot that in four years !. Its a pity as I spent weeks trying to get it right LOL, mind animation back then was a trite harder, the code for spoileron wasnt even invented, you had to hide each component ( Aileron & spoiler ) inside the wing with trickery and then get it to show when required and make the other invisible, to make it worse ailerons only went up & down, no up or down only, again requiring more tirckery, pahh, youngsters just dont know how easy it is these days ! :). Thanks for the trip down memory lane, thank goodness we dont have to put up with models like that any more.

Best

Michael

Barfly
January 6th, 2009, 16:44
Are there any reviews of wingsware's first product, the XB70? Or does someone have it yet?

papab
January 6th, 2009, 16:52
I was a Heavy Jet Mechanic from 1970-74. I was in RVAH-9 the Hoot Owls( see my Avatar- it was our Squadron Insignia). I have attached a picture of one of our aircraft taken in NAS Key West, FL

Massimo Altieri, of Wingsware, does have a Naive FSX RA-5C Vigilante. I have a BETA version that I have been helping him with. See that attached picture as well. It will knock your socks off....

Barfly-I also have a beta copy of the XB70- Sweet aircraft

papab
January 6th, 2009, 17:50
:bump:

papab
January 6th, 2009, 18:19
Here is a great link on the History and pictures of the Vigilante:
http://www.bobjellison.com/RA5C_Vigilante.htm

Barfly
January 6th, 2009, 18:20
Alright, thanks Papab :) I vaguely recall having a plastic model of this as a little kid, early 70's. What a neat airplane..... I hope it has reasonably decent edge of envelope/post stall flight modeling for a high speed jet - seems a tough thing to do in the FS series. The Alpha B58 for example.. really, really excellent normal performance, but it turned into a physics defying UFO post stall, lol.

papab
January 6th, 2009, 18:37
I just sent Massimo an email asking for an update for the Vigilante-I will post his response when I hear back...:typing:

mike678
January 6th, 2009, 20:09
Hi Michael,

Sorry I didn't mean to dis the alphasim RA-5C although re-reading my post I see I did. It was the best model out there at the time I purchased it. I just have a lot of passion for this jet and tend to become a rivet counter. I look forward to flying the new model with FSX carriers.

expat
January 7th, 2009, 00:42
My all time favorite Navy jet - and I like all of them. The AS visual and flight model really still holds up well today. Would be great if AS or RAZBAM did an updated one - with a good VC - for FSX . . . :gossip:

expat
January 7th, 2009, 01:35
Search flightsim.com under "Massimo Altieri" and you will get several options for flying his model or the AS one with his panel (which is what I did d.i.y.) and updates also by Bob Chicilo for FSX.

Over Key West NAS in FSX

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/8739/asviglj0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/asviglj0.jpg/1/w1024.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img392/asviglj0.jpg/1/)

expat
January 7th, 2009, 01:41
http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/5876/asvig2ej3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/asvig2ej3.jpg/1/w1005.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img355/asvig2ej3.jpg/1/)

dharris
January 7th, 2009, 13:57
:engel016:Interesting video of ra-5c http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyIOyQniNe0&feature=related

papab
January 7th, 2009, 15:34
Great Link Thanks!!!:typing:

Piglet
January 7th, 2009, 19:35
Whoever makes a A-5 non-recon version, make the weapon payload drop out its anus!:rapture:

michael davies
January 11th, 2009, 07:12
Hi Michael,

Sorry I didn't mean to dis the alphasim RA-5C although re-reading my post I see I did. It was the best model out there at the time I purchased it. I just have a lot of passion for this jet and tend to become a rivet counter. I look forward to flying the new model with FSX carriers.

LOL, dont worry I didnt take it as such, I try not to be too attached these days :), apologies if my response was a little terse, but, you are right in your summation, the roll control is not modeled correctly.

Kindest

Michael

papab
January 11th, 2009, 14:20
Hey Piglet,
They used to drop out thier anus but reverted to recon'
I worked as a jet mech for 4 years in Heavy-9

They were great aircraft

Z-AZ1USN
April 13th, 2009, 10:25
Alphasim did one for FS9, and I think there was a freeware model by someone else.

But does anyone know if this impressive aircraft is on the planning boards for FSX?

Thanks.

I only had limited experience working on Viggies at Pax River. Gotta tell you though, I was on the Kitty Hawk's flight deck during ACLS carquals, when a Viggie was on the cats. Those birds were powerful!

NC

Yo Chief!!! I joined the Navy back in 1963, yes it was ships of cast iron in those days. I was an AO for 12 years then went into the AZ field.
I'll bet you got your "A" school training here in Millington, yes? Do you
remember the Viggie that sits on a huge stand in front of the old galley?
It's still there even though the galley is closed and BUPERS is here. I work for BUPERS (45 years of govt service). I think my retired kid brother was a AMHC (bubble chaser)-retired in JAX. Carry on in the highest Naval Tradition shipmate!!!

Navy Chief
April 13th, 2009, 11:52
Hey Tipton123,

I first enlisted in Sept. '72. Got out in June '76 on early separation for school. Went back on active duty 4 1/2 years later, and stayed until retirement in '96.

I only had a brief time period working on Viggies at Pax River (early 73 to late 74). But they were impressive birds. Only one or two of the USNTPS Instructor Pilots were qualed to fly them at the time.

I don't remember the Viggie in front of the galley at Millington. About all I remember about the galley, was working for a sadistic PO1 in the bakery - before my AME "A" School class convened. I unfortunately arrived at Millington just before the Christmas holiday in late 72. Lucky me. I distinctly recall that PO1 saying how much he hated newbies, and he made good on his promise to make our lives miserable! Something else I remember about my time there. There were buses from downtown that would shuttle sailors to and from the base. But along with the sailors, oftimes "ladies of the evening" would catch a ride. I remember the base police would constantly kick them off the buses. The "A" school was on the other side of the base from the barracks. That winter of 1972 was especially cold, and getting to class was not fun!

Aside from all the memories; any updates on this Viggie for FSX anyone?

Thanks.

NC

michael davies
April 13th, 2009, 12:22
Maybe, something bigger to attend to first.

It'd be nice to get back to the old girl, nice clean shape to model, pig of a main landing gear sequence if I recall correctly though.

Regards

Michael

expat
April 13th, 2009, 14:46
A new, well modelled RA-5C for FSX, now that would be cool!!

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1051/hootersf.png (http://img8.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hootersf.png)

Navy Chief
April 13th, 2009, 14:58
Expat,

What is that gauge at the top of your screenshot? I like the screenshot a lot, btw!

NC

Navy Chief
April 13th, 2009, 15:00
I suited up only once for a back seat ride in a Viggie. But one of the hyd pumps went down on turnup, and never got another chance. Plenty of other rides in Phantoms, and other USN aircraft though.

NC

expat
April 14th, 2009, 00:12
Expat,

What is that gauge at the top of your screenshot? I like the screenshot a lot, btw!

NC
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Those are the indicator lights for Rob Barendregt's RCBCO-30 cat/trap set of gauges for FSX.

Absolutely could not live without it.

Works - and sounds - great on both fixed and moving aircraft carriers. You now don't need to set the coordinates for trap and cat zones on each boat - it's universal. Program continues to rely on your aviator skills to trap without a crash - particularly with the Viggie . . I like it so much I have really bothered to use the Acceleration cat/trap functions.

expat

PutPut
April 14th, 2009, 08:34
Those are the indicator lights for Rob Barendregt's RCBCO-30 cat/trap set of gauges for FSX.

Absolutely could not live without it.

Works - and sounds - great on both fixed and moving aircraft carriers. You now don't need to set the coordinates for trap and cat zones on each boat - it's universal. Program continues to rely on your aviator skills to trap without a crash - particularly with the Viggie . . I like it so much I have really bothered to use the Acceleration cat/trap functions.

expat

AMEN!!!! I've used the rcbco gauges since the -11 version. I have not been able to successfully model the acceleration cats and wires in spite of intense effort nor have I had much success with carriers modeled with them. I have chosen to stick with the rcbco gauges until a PROVEN better system comes along.

Paul

michael davies
April 14th, 2009, 08:49
Paul,

Are you using FSDS or Gmax ?, the cats and wires have all been solved, you do need to work around them a little and follow some critieria but you can get all four cats and wires working now in FSx.

Take a look at the angled deck Essex thread from a few months back, it is several pages long but most if not all the answers are in there, and if not just contact myself if using Gmax and I can help, failing that Skippybing has done a lot of work, Sparouty as well and one other guy ( sorry forgotten his name ) who made the final break through and tied all our work together.

Hope that helps

Michael

AMEN!!!! I've used the rcbco gauges since the -11 version. I have not been able to successfully model the acceleration cats and wires in spite of intense effort nor have I had much success with carriers modeled with them. I have chosen to stick with the rcbco gauges until a PROVEN better system comes along.

Paul

Z-AZ1USN
April 23rd, 2009, 06:04
Hey Tipton123,

I first enlisted in Sept. '72. Got out in June '76 on early separation for school. Went back on active duty 4 1/2 years later, and stayed until retirement in '96.

I only had a brief time period working on Viggies at Pax River (early 73 to late 74). But they were impressive birds. Only one or two of the USNTPS Instructor Pilots were qualed to fly them at the time.

I don't remember the Viggie in front of the galley at Millington. About all I remember about the galley, was working for a sadistic PO1 in the bakery - before my AME "A" School class convened. I unfortunately arrived at Millington just before the Christmas holiday in late 72. Lucky me. I distinctly recall that PO1 saying how much he hated newbies, and he made good on his promise to make our lives miserable! Something else I remember about my time there. There were buses from downtown that would shuttle sailors to and from the base. But along with the sailors, oftimes "ladies of the evening" would catch a ride. I remember the base police would constantly kick them off the buses. The "A" school was on the other side of the base from the barracks. That winter of 1972 was especially cold, and getting to class was not fun!

Aside from all the memories; any updates on this Viggie for FSX anyone?

Thanks.

NC>I don't remember the Viggie in front of the galley at Millington

Hey Chief, that's because they had build a new galley and then a A5 from Heavy 5 was displayed on a pedisital in a sharp right turn pose (Awsome).
It's still there even though Brac 93 closed the galley.