PDA

View Full Version : aerial fire fighting tid bits

Daveroo
January 26th, 2013, 09:10
in regards to my other thread about the evergreen supertanker being parked,i had read that they had not had any contracts for a few seasons,and basically gave up.

on the other side of the smoke..( little attempt at cleverness there) there is "10 Tanker Air Carrier LLC",they have the DC-10s,,T-910,and T-911,both have Cal Fire painted on the nose and most likely will be on contract to the state of california once again this year, mutual aid provisions for out of state fires,or USFS fires..it was either early last season..or late fire season the year before,2011?..T-910 was based at McClellan Field in Sacramento,i monitor that frequency all the time,and i would hear them leave in the morning with a destination of a fire in Arizona,and it would return before noon ,leave again after 1pm and return again around 4pm ,i maybe wrong on the timing...im pretty sure it was two runs aday,not 4...but i may be mistaken...but it seemed odd to me that they flew out of Nor Cal to AZ,rather than Victorville or somewhere down there,only thing i could think of..is that the "mudtender" wouldnt have time to travel to SoCal ,or the cost of driving the mudtender and all the support vehicles somewhere else would be over the whatever of just flying?..maybe not the cost itself...but the logistics side of moving the operations from McClellan...

and about AeroUnion ,my mom had lunch with Norm Cook last wednesday,he said the P3's are still sitting at McClellan ,but there is a buyer..and they are in continuous talks,but he left it at that,,mom said his wife poked him in the ribs and said not now hon!...lol..but,about that entire cluster puke..the USFS man who claimed norm didnt send the correct paper work to him ontime ect...stepped down from his possition at the USFS just days after shutting down AeroUnion,and he also made a valiant attempt to shut down Neptune Air,im not real clear on where they stand,they have developed the BAe-146 into a working and certified airtanker,they (Neptune Air) had one based at Chico or Redding ( i forget which) for the last two months or so of the 2012 fire season.back to the man from USFS,he left the USFS job and went to Lockheed-Martin,after a certin amount of time according to federal law,he had to wait for..he has now put up a proposal to the USFS for up to 25,C-130J-30's to be tanked internally with a gravity fed system that minden air (or it could be neptune,im doing this off memory,this is all online at several places)has designed and built for its own C-130's ..the new national guard system where you see the large pipe on the port side of the fuselage is a pressurized system somewhat like evergreens 979 had.if the USFS goes for the 25 C130J-30's...ive heard two things now..one they will be leased to private airtanker operators..but flown by seasoned national gaurd pilots....and ive heard leased to private operators with contract pilots..which the ex-USFS guy is against (and i dont understand why)..there is also a congressman from a western state ..i cant recall where,who has put "bibbs" on the C27Js ,at the time he did,they were being phazed out...but i just read in a magazine they are reinstating them back in to the US inventory ,marine corp i believe..3 of them were used during sandy....the point to all of this...if the C130J-30's..and any C27Js are used....especailly in the large numbers wanted...they (USFS) will not contract with neptune or anyone else for the BAe-146 ,or anything else thats been worked on..
i guess bottomline on all this...political ( im sorry) gamesmanship has put not only our forests but our lives in danger ,it seems to me and several others i talk with in the fire circles..that this was a premeditated move on the mans part,and that when it came to Norm Cook's paperwork,which amounted to basically copies of what would be a DMV registration sheet,only from the FAA,for the P3s ,to be on file with the USFS..and the man who left his possition at the USFS "lost them"but said norm never sent them....twice this happened..the second time..norm had 7 hours to recall his planes to sacramento...they were being grounded by the FAA.makes me sick that one man can endanger the entire west coast of the united states,so he can make more money as a lobbiest for lockheed martin....he will become a wealthy man if he gets this contract...

a few shots of T910 and T911

the BAe-146

emfrat
January 26th, 2013, 10:53
It's a dirty world, Dave, and I don't understand how these guys can look at themselves in their shaving mirrors each day. But when you look back 20 or 30 years to the examples set then by national leaders world-wide, is it any wonder that we now have a generation of 'managers' who are only there for the main chance, and can't tell right from wrong?
Something is bound to give...that worries me.

MikeW

SPman
January 26th, 2013, 15:45
They can tell right from wrong, but they don't care - their avarice knows no bounds, and quest for power and "authority" means that the lives of "ordinary" people like you and me, are of no consequence, as long as they get what they want!

Exposure is what these people don't like, corruption doesn't like the light of transparency, and will go to extreme lengths to ensure everything is kept in the dark! Unfortunately, they seem to have the upper hand, at the moment and, as Mike W says, "Something is bound to give...that worries me." :gameon:

Great photos, Dave

JonL