PDA

View Full Version : A bit dismayed ...

Lawman
January 26th, 2013, 04:38
... that we haven't reached the target for the bandwidth drive yet:frown:. I know the economic situation is bad for all. And I'm not addressing the people here who aren't in the position to contribute financially, because they need the money for medication or other basic necessities. I'm talking to the people who are in the position to contibute, but haven't done so (yet).

Just think for a minute about all the volunteers who unselfishly donate their time and efforts to keep the best FS-site on the web running for your benefit. Think about people like Ickie, who fixes problems faster than I've seen any commercial company do. Think about the moderators who make sure that members from different countries and cultures can respectfully air and share their views, knowledge and opinions. Think about the repainters and modelers that inhabit this place and who devote their time and talents to enhance your simming experience. And think about the developers that preview their stuff here (often before elsewhere) and communicate with us through the forums.
We talk a lot about the SOH-family. And I believe that we are a "family", even if its members aren't tied by "blood". I've seen members here share their deepest emotional thoughts, who have lost loved ones (be it family members, friends or pets) and find a sympathetic ear.

All the above and more make this a great family. But in every family (or society), everyone has to contribute to the best of their abilities: you can't expect to just "freewheel" your way through it, only taking and never giving something back in some way. You can't expect a small part of the members to take all the burden. It is we, the members, who make up that SOH-family. It is our joint responsibility. So please donate (however little, it really helps) if you haven't done so already. Not only will it make you feel better, it is a sign of respect for all the people who contribute (often behind the scenes) to keep this place afloat, so we can enjoy our hobby. Let's make sure we reach that target. Let's make it happen not just for ourselves, but for us. Let's show everybody else that we really are that family:salute:.

So turn your moniker from blue to red and, with a little variation on JFK, be proud to say: "Ich bin ein Sim-Outhouser".

Sascha66
January 26th, 2013, 06:26
I will come into some money at the end of the month. Please keep the bandwidth drive open for a couple more weeks - I will contribute and I am sure more too.

Just not a good time for me right after Christmas, that made a dent in my bank account ;)

Regards,
Sascha

skyhawka4m
January 26th, 2013, 06:42
I too ma having issues.....I have always donated and think the drive needs to stay open for a couple more weeks.

OleBoy
January 26th, 2013, 07:15
Well spoken, Lawman.

SOH is what the members (behind the scenes or otherwise) make of it. I've come to learn through the years that inside the member base of this small (active) community there is knowledge of every form. It starts with us all from the chair we sit in. Where we go from there is up to you. Share a part of yourself so virtual flight will thrive. Whatever form that may be, it revolves around the community efforts.

strikehawk
January 26th, 2013, 07:24
Just made another donation, not a big deal to me at the moment as I am temporarily drawing a higher rate of pay at work for the next few months. Hopefully this little bit will take some pressure off. I do agree with the previous posts asking that the drive be extended for a couple of more weeks so those who plan to but can't make a donation have time to participate.

TheGrunt
January 26th, 2013, 07:40
I also made another small donation. I really like SOH, because it seems I mostly enjoy flying vintage and warplanes and there is just no better community for that if you fly those in P3D/FSX. I also hang around in Avsim, which is great for tubes, but warbirds: SOH all the way! :greenbo:

jojohnson9
January 26th, 2013, 07:42
I visit and use SOH at least a dozen times a day. It has been the most informative and entertaining forum I have seen. In fact, it is the only non-product forum I use. Because of this I will donate again. And also because at this time in my life I can AFFORD to help. I see many blue names who have provided (donated?) so much helpful advice, opinions, and fun. If one can donate, of course, please do. But all you great "blue names" please, please stay with SOH.
I hope that this red/blue thing is only for the Bandwidth Drive. We should go back to all blue (or green, or whatever) after the goal is met.

TheGrunt
January 26th, 2013, 07:55
We should go back to all blue (or green, or whatever) after the goal is met.
This. I'd hate if someone feels being second class or something just because not affording to donate. Money is something that never should make any difference in such hobbyist circles.

And like you said, community builds up from something else. Not kazillion bucks of money can replace helpful attitude, humour and sharing experiences together.

Daveroo
January 26th, 2013, 08:10
i agree on the red/blue name issue once the bandwidth drive is over,this bandwidth drive seemed to come at an inopertoon time for most of us,but dont most of the bandwidth drive occur in january?...anyway..was tough for me...but for those of us who get paid the 3rd of the month...its a sunday this febuary ,so we will recieve our money on friday the 1st....so several of us can make additional donations on that day..IF the bandwidth drive remains open a few days longer...

stovall
January 26th, 2013, 08:35
For all those that can donate and have donated several times, please accept our considerable appreciation. Donating or not has never been a condition of membership and never will be. Everyone who visits SOH is equally welcome. SOH is what the members make it and that includes those able to help keep the servers open and all other members equally.

Thanks to everyone for making Sim Outhouse the special place that it is!!! :jump:

Lawman
January 26th, 2013, 08:51
Like Milton and the rest of the SOH-staff have said before: please only donate if you are really able to. We don't appreciate you any less. As far as the color of one's moniker is concerned, humans are strange beings and psychologically these things seem to have an effect. It kinda reminds me of what Jay Leno said in a Top Gear-episode: "We like to let everybody know about the good work we do anonymously". Personally I don't care if mine is red, blue, yellow or whatever color (except pink:female:). The cause is not about colors. So I support the suggestion made by others to change everything back after the bandwith drive.

BTW: I've just looked at the "members who have read this thread"-log at the bottom and it is good to see so many red names:icon29:.

Dain Arns
January 26th, 2013, 09:07
A donation doesn't need to be a large sum of money, even a few bucks goes a long ways to help. (You can set a custom amount you want to donate on the Donation drop down menu)
Maybe consider skipping a trip to that fast food outlet, or skipping those pack of smokes you've been meaning to cut down on anyway, for just today, and send that amount saved to the bandwidth drive instead. :wavey:
Just one day out of 365, that's all that's needed. :applause:

TheGrunt
January 26th, 2013, 09:28
A donation doesn't need to be a large sum of money, even a few bucks goes a long ways to help. (You can set a custom amount you want to donate on the Donation drop down menu)
Maybe consider skipping a trip to that fast food outlet, or skipping those pack of smokes you've been meaning to cut down on anyway, for just today, and send that amount saved to the bandwidth drive instead. :wavey:
Just one day out of 365, that's all that's needed. :applause:

This is a good point. Donating here is just one investment to this hobby and a cheap one: you decide the payment and it can be just a small fraction of a new addon! Though, I admit it is good to say things like this and at the same time doing well financially (at least I have no trouble with it and can spare some of it here). I still can imagine that here are people struggling, perhaps out of job and mortgage payments running. It can be tight and in the end every buck may count keeping things together and having food on the table. In that case some community donation is far in the list to spend money.

And for the SOH people: this campaign is good and gets attention. I didn't mean to suggest that you put people in two groups with it, just that some may feel bad that they can't afford to participate. It's just I couldn't care less about my "coulour", just that this place thrives and if my small contribution helps, so be it. I thank you for keeping up this great community and services for it and also your quick response to this subject :salute: :applause:

swimeye
January 26th, 2013, 09:34
I just donated, I am not a very active member, mostly lurking around, reading stuff on the forum and not interacting much, but anyway, reading what Lawman wrote really made me understand what it is all about. Thanks. Now I just want a relationship section in the forums so I have somewhere to ask for good advice when the relationship is though =)

skyhawka4m
January 26th, 2013, 09:46
Well.....I've made a donation.....but I need to say this....

Since July of 2011 I have had to deal with divorse and all that goes with it. Over this period of time I have come to rely on this site for a couple things. The most important of them is the sense of family amonst many of us. I don't have a big family and now that my divorse is done....I have even less of a family here in my real world but thanks to a good many of you here I am making it through this. Life has been very hard on me, but I make it every day knowing when I get home from my work I have a small release into a world I love, aviation. I lost alot in my divorse, ALOT.....material and inside me but I thank god for this site. There have been a couple VERY generous people on here who I won't name because I know they did what they did out of their hearts and I will not forget them.

My donation wasn't much for all this site has done for me but......THANK YOU!!!! SOH for being here for me, thank you to all the painters and aviation history buffs. Thanks to the developers who took the brunt of some of my pain over this past year or so......hypercritical it might be.....but its only because I love this hobby, as long as my PC holds up.....I'll be here contributing to my family.

:salute:

Naruto-kun
January 26th, 2013, 09:48
I would donate but I have to pull out all stops to stay at the flight school....

TheGrunt
January 26th, 2013, 10:24
Sum is already over 9000$, rose considerably in short time. I think this turns out good, fellas :applause:

By the way, this is for SOH folks, what kind of connection you have there, if it is something you publicly want to tell? I'm in IT communications profession myself, so I'm just interested in systems in your end. Might also be a help for some to donate if they understand bit of the infrastrucure you are running :running:

wombat666
January 26th, 2013, 10:45
Real Life issues are more important to each and every member.
We thank the members who have been able to donate this time round and we hope that those going through 'difficult' times hang in there, we certainly do not think any less of you!
'Stuff' happens and it always rolls downhill.
Maybe next time round things will be better for the battlers.
For now, we are almost over the line.
:applause::applause::applause:

THibben
January 26th, 2013, 11:06
I just sent some more in. I spend most of my FS browsing time on SimOuthouse so couldn't begin to donate enough for the return I get.

Thanks to all and especially Ickie. Those that can't afford it don't worry, you have probably already given enough of your time and talent.

Tom :applause:

Penzoil3
January 26th, 2013, 11:17
:icon_lol:
Ok folks, I chipped in. I'm a single income widow, so I could only do ten bucks this year. Less than I used to, but if I can do it, the rest of you can too. Come on, the price of a 12 pack guys!
LOL
Sue

warchild
January 26th, 2013, 12:11
I'mk lucky. I dont have mediation to buy ( refused it ), but i know some people cant survive without their medication, and some of those drugs run upwards of five hundred dollars a pill. I make 1400 dollars a month between the service pension and social security, but i also support a young man with autism who doesnt have any kind of income at all. Things can be hard. Every month there are days without cigarettes, and without food, but both he and i live ninety percent of our life in online communities, and so priorities are different than others may tink they should be. Personally, I'll go a day without food or smokes to keep this place online. I dont always get along with everyone here, and not everyone likes me, but this place remains the best place to communicate and talk with others who are interested in those things i have an interest in, and it would be catastrophic should this place fold, at least for me. Its worth jockeying around a little bit to do what i can. Tell the electric company to shove it for a month and make sure i can give. Others here do pretty much exactly the same thing i do. They dig deep and they take the hit, without a single word or complaint, because they recognize the importance of this place as well..
No, not everyone can give. but so many out there can, who dont, like they think everything is magical or they shouldnt have to support ( they're "special" ). Some of them developers and not just struggling developers, but rather successful and talented ones. Very smart people, but not very wise. maybe when SOH has to close they'll get a clue their free advertising has just gone up in smoke. They really piss me off..
Pam

skyhawka4m
January 26th, 2013, 12:48
If it were me...and my site...developers would pay a fee to have their stuff "advertised" on the site. I think without this site alot of them wouldn't be doing what they are with their products. I also like the red/blue names becaue it shows which Dev's, and we knnow who they are, contribute....even if only a little bit.

Roger
January 26th, 2013, 13:19
Great thread Lawman and thanks for starting it. As this is a members thread I thought twice about joining it, but moved as I am by the sentiments expressed here I can only express my thanks to all who have donated.
Reaching our target means we can stay ad free and maintain both servers for the forums and multi-player on-line flight.

Thank you.

:engel016::applause:

Roger
January 27th, 2013, 12:35
Just 8% left. Hopefully we'll make 100% soon.