PDA

View Full Version : Underwater..?

Seahawk72s
January 23rd, 2013, 09:24
Has anyone heard of development done in the underwater enviroment of P3D..?
I've not been able to find pictures of the default submersible in P3D so I can't tell of how the
sub is controlled or even if underwater physics have been modeled..?

If there is a panel for the sub could someone loadup a few pics for me ..?

Thanks,
TC

Lionheart
January 26th, 2013, 00:51
Hey Seahawk,

Yep, has a submarine, a small, odd little thing with bars and lights. No VC, no panel, just pilot it around. Its very basic.

I 'think' they redid some of the controls (keyboard, etc) for it to make it a bit more realistic. At first it was just 'dive to the bottom or rise. It wouldnt coast along at a certain depth, or at least I could never figure out how it was done.

Several of us (devs) wanted to make submarines for it. Some have. They made versions with odd linkages and things to get it to float similar to flying slow underwater (joystick controls). I tried a version that didnt work. But I saw that on the keyboard commands that came out, (if I remember correctly) that they have controls for things now, like ballast, etc. Some big firms that make USA defense things wanted the Submarine thing badly for simulations.

There are only a couple of locations on the sea floor that are modelled. Its called Bathemetry in the Scenery settings window. Clicking it 'on' will make it possible to go underwater. Very merky, low viz, no fish or rocks or sea weed, just rockey looking sea floor. There are one or two adventures for it where one you find a sunken ship and explore it.

Thats about it. It think they have screen shots of it at Prepar3D.com in the Screenshots pages. Its just like that.

For the Developer '30 day only' one-time-payment (not the rotating payment version) you can see what P3D is like. Gives you that underwater sim for 30 days to check out. 9 Gigs to download.

Bill

Lionheart
January 26th, 2013, 01:21
It now has Balast increase/decrease, a blow balast valve, centering Bouyency, and also a new one, freeze altitude. None of the others seemed to work (for me) but the Freeze Altitude did. I got it to hover at its top speed at any chosen depth. That was nice. It didnt do that before, even with auto pilot.

Screenshot attached.

Ferry_vO
January 27th, 2013, 09:51
If any developer makes a flying submarine I might be forced to get P3D as well...

The Russian LPL sounds interesting! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_submarine

Seahawk72s
January 31st, 2013, 03:28
It now has Balast increase/decrease, a blow balast valve, centering Bouyency, and also a new one, freeze altitude. None of the others seemed to work (for me) but the Freeze Altitude did. I got it to hover at its top speed at any chosen depth. That was nice. It didnt do that before, even with auto pilot.

Screenshot attached. Thanks Bill. I can hope that with ballast functionality started, basic water physics will be enhanced. I'll keep the fingers crossed for defense contractors to show interest. Can you share links to other developers doing submersible work..? It sounds like its worth downloading the limited install to check out the SDK for possible additional underwater vehicle systems\controls.

tc

Flyingsub
February 1st, 2013, 11:20
If any developer makes a flying submarine I might be forced to get P3D as well...

The Russian LPL sounds interesting! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_submarine

My Dream come true as an ex submariner and aviation nut

Lionheart
February 2nd, 2013, 23:55
A hovering U-Boot Type IIVC or IIVB would be cool, like the new Yamoto from that SciFi series in Japan.

If the plane had a wet interior (flood-able), it would be very feasable. But with an armour like inner hull for a dry interior sub, that might be a bit heavy. All that wing area would be alot of drag as well underwater. If the wings could fold back, that would sure help.

Ferry_vO
February 3rd, 2013, 03:48
A hovering U-Boot Type IIVC or IIVB would be cool, like the new Yamoto from that SciFi series in Japan.

How about that flyable carrier from 'The Avengers'..? :mixedsmi:

Roger
February 3rd, 2013, 04:45
The download link is no longer valid but I think a call to James Hefner might ressurect the model?

http://mainescenery.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=new&action=display&thread=11441

Roger
February 4th, 2013, 11:43
Ok James Hefner has sent me the model that should work ok in P3D. He has given me permission to upload it here at SOH. If anyone's interested just post in this thread. Here's an artist's impression:

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/02/04/6coBG.jpg

Ferry_vO
February 4th, 2013, 12:02
Of course I'm interested Roger!

I knew he was working on one but never saw it uploaded anywhere.

Roger
February 4th, 2013, 12:10
According to James there are some areas not textured which would cause problems in FsX/Acc but should look fine in Fs9/P3d. I'll upload it tonight (if all goes well).

Marvin Carter
February 4th, 2013, 19:37
Remember super car, puppet cartoon, in the 50s on black and white TV!

Lionheart
February 4th, 2013, 23:43
Awesome!!!!! Thanks Roger!

jhefner
February 9th, 2013, 06:36
So; has anyone had any luck flying my Ushakov LPL in Prepar3D? What does it look like underwater?

-James Hefner

nio
February 16th, 2013, 03:05
Remember super car, puppet cartoon, in the 50s on black and white TV!

Its been a long time but that is Mike Mercury flying it with Dr Beaker alongside and and Professor Popkiss in the back ,if memory serves correctly.

The bad guys were Masterspy and his sidekick Zarin.

If only I could remember the important stuff, lol

best

nio

rayhere48
June 20th, 2013, 19:42
I finely got P3D and can not get the sub to start. The control E does nothing. Can some one tell me how to start her up? I am sure I am doing something wrong and really sorry for the dumb question.

Seahawk72s
October 19th, 2017, 04:50
Has anyone heard of development done in the underwater enviroment of P3D..?
I've not been able to find pictures of the default submersible in P3D so I can't tell of how the
sub is controlled or even if underwater physics have been modeled..?

If there is a panel for the sub could someone load up a few pics for me ..?

Thanks,
TC

Has there been any change to the underwater world since this thread first appeared..?