PDA

View Full Version : Gmax glitches

OleBoy
January 19th, 2013, 19:14
I'm learning that Gmax has a LOT of quirks, glitches, and anomalies that seem to hinder any type of flow on progress. One minute everything is good, the next thing I know it hiccups. For instance. Right clicking the viewport configuration to change properties. It works when it wants too. Other times, the properties of the mesh opens with the roll out options. Once symptoms like this start, all other types of things go on. Like when I click on a vertice point to move it, the whole plane moves. Sheezus.

Dev One
January 19th, 2013, 23:58
It can depend upon where your mouse pointer is at the time of clicking - top left and you get a drop down menu with various options for views etc, in the middle for the 'quad' drop down menu that includes convert to mesh etc.
As for moving the whole aircraft with the mouse on one highlighted vertex - that means that in the RH column you have not selected vertex & its still showing 'editable poly'.
Dont forget to keep saving very regularly with sequential numbers/letters so one can at least go back to a saved file if the current one gets screwed up!!!
HTH
Keith

hairyspin
January 20th, 2013, 06:53
This is what is meant by there being a ton or three to learn. We've all been through this nothing makes sense stage and learned in due course how Gmax works. The tutorials supplied with the help files go a long way to teaching you how Gmax does things and other tuts will fill in more of the gaps when you've learned more.

Gmax is (despite all appearances to the contrary) a reasonable, sensible piece of very complex software: I have a very high opinion of its tools and abilities. :salute:

ps a favourite quote from way back is I have a love-hate relationship with Gmax. I hate Gmax and it loves screwing up my work - fairly typical of us all in the early days, lol.