PDA

View Full Version : Making FSX work with multiple monitors

brettt777
January 18th, 2013, 22:32
I finally figured out how to make my system work with two monitors so I have my desktop spread across both. I can open a browser in one and Windows Explorer in the other, etc. I have 1920 x 1080 on each of them so I effectively have 3840 x 1080. So what do I need to do to make use of this is FSX? It only shows resolution up to the normal 1920 x 1080.

falcon409
January 18th, 2013, 23:05
I have two 22" flat screens and I fly on one, keep all my information open on the other (GPS, AP, Flight Plan). I tried unsuccessfully to use them to open my cockpit across both monitors but have been told many times that it isn't possible with the graphics card I have. So, I use it as mentioned above and considering the last monitor before I got these was a single 15" CRT. . .I have no room to complain. I also fly mostly in windowed mode, not because I feel it's better, just that a lot of my flying is done in MP via FSHost and FSX requires the use of FSHostClient which cannot handle full screen mode and show the menu's it needs to show.:salute:

ananda
January 19th, 2013, 00:27
Use 3840 x 1080 in FSX, run in windowed mode with the main screen maximised on one monitor. Open new windows and drag to the other monitor.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/3609/dualmonitors.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/208/dualmonitors.jpg/)

brettt777
January 19th, 2013, 10:35
Ummmmmm.... brain fart. How do you get FSX into windowed mode?

FlameOut
January 19th, 2013, 11:34
Alt + Enter

rayhere48
January 19th, 2013, 12:52
Does windowed mode cause frame rate issues? I have tried running in windowed mode and it seemed stuttery(not sure it stuttery is a real word).

falcon409
January 19th, 2013, 13:26
Does windowed mode cause frame rate issues? I have tried running in windowed mode and it seemed stuttery(not sure it stuttery is a real word).
There is no telling, lol Personally, as I was told that running in full screen mode would up my framerate somewhat, I think it's more a case of if you hold your mouth just right. I found no difference between window mode and full screen. Some would take exception to that because that isn't the case with their system. . .which is precisely my point. What you need to do is test it yourself, no one can tell you what you will get on your system. Put it in "windowed mode" fly in that setup for a few days, then go to "full screen" and see if there's any difference. That's the best way to answer your question.

PRB
January 19th, 2013, 13:31
On my old computer, running in windowed mode most definately killed my framerates. On my current machine, which has more rams, cycles, bytes, and a honking video card, running in windowed mode makes no difference. I now always run in windowed mode so that I can "de-couple" my popup panels and stash them on the "other" monitor, along with my map program, either Super Flight Planner or Plan-G.

- Paul

dandog
January 19th, 2013, 15:09
You do not need to run in "windowed mode" to have your cockpit on one monitor and ATC, GPS, or whatever open on the other monitor. I have my display set so that my monitor #1 is directly in front of me. The display is extended to monitor #2 which is just to the right. Right click on your desktop and then click on settings. You can set up your primary display and have your desktop extended to the other monitor. I have done this with two separate video cards and one video card running both monitors. Nvidia has had drivers that can do this for years and years. I just cannot seem to be able to extend FSX across both monitors, ie: see the VC split over two monitors, but it can be done.

falcon409
January 19th, 2013, 15:21
. . . . . .Nvidia has had drivers that can do this for years and years. I just cannot seem to be able to extend FSX across both monitors, ie: see the VC split over two monitors, but it can be done.
I also use NVidia and have been told that after "Vista" NVidia no longer incorporated the ability to expand across both monitors. It's normally a selection on the NVidia Control Panel and I've seen screens of that option that others have posted but they were taken in Vista.:isadizzy:

mfitch
January 20th, 2013, 21:49
I have done this with two separate video cards and one video card running both monitors. Nvidia has had drivers that can do this for years and years. I just cannot seem to be able to extend FSX across both monitors, ie: see the VC split over two monitors, but it can be done.

As noted above the spanning mode ceased to be available a while back, but has been recently replaced with "surround." This however requires SLI with identical (to an annoying degree) monitors. You can even do this in 3D which is impressive, but not cheap.

My suspicion is that the old spanning mode disappeared to make way for the new surround which was probably a significant re-write (originally only available in 3D - 3 monitor).

dandog
January 21st, 2013, 09:37
Yeah, busted. I still use XP on MY main rig, while the other three on my home network have W7. My main rig is also the only one with dual monitors. I still have XP due to some non FSX hardware and software that I do not want to upgrade (read: not W7 compatible). As for Vista, I stayed away from it like the plague. I once read that the code for Vista was the worlds longest suicide letter :icon_lol:.

Now I have the need to attach a second monitor to one of my other machines and figure out the work around for Nvidia dual view for W7. I know it's out there!