PDA

View Full Version : FSX backup

vmx12
January 18th, 2013, 18:51
Hello,

I just installed FSX Gold (no third-party anything installed yet) and immediately performed a backup of the FSX folder itself and tucked it away on my external drive.

I just installed my first DVD-ROM add-on aircraft and an FSX update FSX SP2 update that goes along with it, but I think I may have reversed the order or something, because my gauges are not showing.

Without delving into FSX sub-folders, can't I simply replace the FSX folder at C://FSX with the new, pristine FSX folder I have tucked away on my external drive?

No need for any registry edits I'm assuming, as I haven't added anything but this one plane and no activation or keys were needed.

Grateful for any input.

VMX12

fxsttcb
January 19th, 2013, 06:15
Your problem may be that you installed Acceleration from the "Gold", then subsequently installed SP2.
Acceleration contains SP2 "plus" and can be broken with the SP2 overwrite.
If you did install Accleration, before doing the SP2 install, I'm afraid the copy paste won't help.
You can try removing SP2 and re-install Acc if that is where you were.
Bottom line; The back up copy that you have must match the existing service level of your install...Don

vmx12
January 19th, 2013, 06:39
Your problem may be that you installed Acceleration from the "Gold", then subsequently installed SP2.
Acceleration contains SP2 "plus" and can be broken with the SP2 overwrite.
If you did install Accleration, before doing the SP2 install, I'm afraid the copy paste won't help.
You can try removing SP2 and re-install Acc if that is where you were.
Bottom line; The back up copy that you have must match the existing service level of your install...Don

Thanks, Don. I originally installed the Gold edition but then installed a specific FSX Acceleration Service Pack 2 update from Just Flight that simply makes the F117A compatible with FSX versions enhanced with SP2 from the Gold edition. I didn't install a separate Microsoft's SP2 update, because I knew SP2 came bundled with the Gold edition.

This is the quote from Just Flight's website:F117A FSX Acceleration/Service Pack 2 Update: The following upgrade will allow the F117A Stealth Fighter to be used in Flight Simulator X with either the Acceleration Pack or Service Pack 2 upgrade from Microsoft

Of course, now I'm really confused and nervous. :icon_eek:

fxsttcb
January 19th, 2013, 13:55
That makes sense. The aircraft ittself is updated for compatibility. Your FSX is unaltered except for the F-117 files that were installed.
If it used an installer, Check Control Panel/Programs and Features. If the F-117 is listed, use the "uninstall" button, reboot, and test the sim.
Your Back Up copy will work, if necessary. There is a slight possibility that your FSX.cfg was modded, so, you may want to do a new one...Don

vmx12
January 19th, 2013, 17:54
That makes sense. The aircraft ittself is updated for compatibility. Your FSX is unaltered except for the F-117 files that were installed.
If it used an installer, Check Control Panel/Programs and Features. If the F-117 is listed, use the "uninstall" button, reboot, and test the sim.
Your Back Up copy will work, if necessary. There is a slight possibility that your FSX.cfg was modded, so, you may want to do a new one...Don

Thanks, Don!

fxsttcb
January 20th, 2013, 05:15
Thanks, Don!You're quite Welcome!...Don

Oh, BTW: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/misc.php?do=donate :icon_lol: