PDA

View Full Version : Team SOH urgently needs new pilots

Tako_Kichi
January 16th, 2013, 11:31
With the 2013 flight simulator Round The World Race just one month away Team SOH desperately needs new members if we are to compete this year and defend last year's win.

The race is in it's 11th year and is a challenge of airman-ship and planning to fly around the world in real-time while completing certain allocated tasks (different scenarios are set each year). The event takes the form of a relay race with a virtual baton being carried by a pilot which is then passed to a second pilot after landing at a specified airport.

If you have the ability to safely land an aircraft in a variety of weather conditions and at night with your 'realism' sliders set full right then you have the skills we need.

In addition to pilots we also need a number of 'back room' staff who can check out airports further down the proposed course to report on weather conditions and any issues such as close trees or other obstructions which may cause problems to baton carrying pilots.

The race is a lot of fun and it really is a 'team' event, it takes a lot of people to pull off a victory.

If you are not familiar with the race some info can be found at the following links:

2013 Team SOH open practice thread

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?73769-RTWR-2013-Open-Practice-Thread

2013 Team SOH open practice rules

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?73749-RTWR-2013-Open-Practice-1

RTWR info site

http://www.fsrtwrace.net/index.php

Please reply in this thread if you have any interest in joining the team for this year's race. Time is running out and we need to get new pilots up to speed before the race starts. Eligible flight simulators are FS2004 and FSX, P3D is not currently allowed as it has no 'real world' weather options available.

AussieMan
January 16th, 2013, 11:49
Unfortunately 2 things prevent me from taking part this year. First I will be moving house during February amd I am not sure of the date. Secondly I only fly in P3D now and the only real weather is available via RAX or other addon on weather programmes and they are not allowed in the RTW.

TeaSea
January 16th, 2013, 16:11
Race dates ? (I'm probably looking right at it)

Tako_Kichi
January 16th, 2013, 16:32
Traditionally the race starts on the first Saturday after Valentine's Day (so Feb. 16th this year) and runs continuously until the race is over which is usually 3+ days depending on race route taken.

Barfly
January 16th, 2013, 17:29
There's a good chance I can participate this year, as I actually have all the days off - contingent upon all the associated tracking software working with Windows 8...

Dain Arns
January 16th, 2013, 18:14
Traditionally the race starts on the first Saturday after Valentine's Day (so Feb. 16th this year) and runs continuously until the race is over which is usually 3+ days depending on race route taken.

My work week starts on Saturdays, so with commuting and long shifts, I wouldn't be available until Wednesday.
Race is over by then. As always would love to fly the Helicopter legs for you all. :kilroy:

Tako_Kichi
January 16th, 2013, 18:16
There's a good chance I can participate this year, as I actually have all the days off - contingent upon all the associated tracking software working with Windows 8...
To be honest I don't know of anyone who has even tried to run the Duenna software in Win 8 but in theory it should work OK as it runs in Win XP through to Win 7. If you would like to try it you can get the software from the following link:

http://johannesmueller.com/fs/web/duenna/#down

Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the downloads area. You will need the 'full installation' zip archive plus the Rev.131 update. Install the full version first and then apply the update.

If you need help getting it set up once you have it installed let us know. It's not difficult to do but it will whine if the relevant flight sim settings are not correct (which is what it is supposed to do after all as it is a 'nanny' program to make sure all competitors are using the same settings).

Tako_Kichi
January 16th, 2013, 18:22
My work week starts on Saturdays, so with commuting and long shifts, I wouldn't be available until Wednesday.
Race is over by then. As always would love to fly the Helicopter legs for you all. :kilroy:
Cheers Dain, we always appreciated your helo skills in past races. Unfortunately the past two years have not included any helo legs at all and I have a feeling this year may well be the same. A pity really as I used to enjoy the helo legs too.

fliger747
January 17th, 2013, 10:40
The older I get the faster time flys by. Yes I do remember the Helio legs very well, zooming along on instruments and GPS over the darkest Amazon at night....

I seem to be even busier than normal, but will try to make some time.

Regards: Tom

Bone
January 17th, 2013, 11:05
working with Windows 8...

Hey Greg, what's your opinion of W8? BTW, what's up with that new paint job you're flying around in? lol.

Barfly
January 17th, 2013, 13:29
Hey Steve, no problems with win8 so far - everything works a little better, including FSX, which rarely crashes anymore. It seems like optimized code through and through with a better interface; the downside being a need to go through a tutorial to see how things have moved around a bit within it, but once you get used to that it's pretty slick. About that paint... it's ok - we'll see what it looks like IRL. It's hard to beat the look of a new bare metal 73, but those look kinda crappy after a year or two; they never look near as good once they start to polish them.