PDA

View Full Version : Ten reasons (or more) to donate for SOH drive

huub vink
January 15th, 2013, 06:15
For me the most important reason to support the SOH is the fact I most probably find more news about things which have my interest here than anywhere else and a donation is much cheaper than a subscribtion on a fancy glossy magazine.

I'm sure there must me more than 10 reason so please supply your reason!

Cheers,
Huub :icon_lol:

Ferry_vO
January 15th, 2013, 06:23
..Because you promised to beat me up if I wouldn't... :blind:

J/k! :icon_lol: (No really, someone call the police!)

How much time do we all spend here every day, week, or year?

For $10 you can't even see a movie anymore these days, or get a burger and some fries.

jankees
January 15th, 2013, 06:27
if only to see there are more propellorheads like me!

Overshoe
January 15th, 2013, 06:49
The news to noise ratio is very high here. I read a lot and don't feel a need to post unless I have something to add.:salute:

Milton Shupe
January 15th, 2013, 06:51
I come here because:

1) There are a lot of sim-seasoned veterans here who participate and welcome new less-seasoned simmers
2) The vast majority here have earned my respect for their knowledge and willingness to share it
3) People here are genuinely interested in the flight sim community and contribute to the growth of like-minded membership
4) Those in #1 above show respect for the less seasoned among us and welcome all as equal (potential) contributors
5) There is a feeling of "family" here
6) This is a member supported site and we care about its overall quality
7) You haven't run me off yet :-)

assassinezzio
January 15th, 2013, 07:50
I come here because:

1) No matter your experience level in flight simming you are made to feel welcome
2)The wealth of knowledge available is second to none
3) And last but not least, members who ask nothing in return are providing us with aircraft and other creations that would make some payware companies blush...

Daveroo
January 15th, 2013, 07:52
The news to noise ratio is very high here. I read a lot and don't feel a need to post unless I have something to add.:salute:

you make me feel quilty.........:icon_eek:

PRB
January 15th, 2013, 08:09
I started coming here shortly after I bought FS2004, when it was released. I downloaded a P-38 made by somebody called “dcc”. I had a question about it on some “other” site and was told to visit here, where this dcc character could most likely be found. Not only did I find him, but David Copely was very kind and helpful, answering all the questions and more, from this unknown “newby”. I’ve never left. Never had a reason to. I received the same helpful treatment from Milton, Gnoopey, fliger747, and anyone else I ever had a question for. It seemed very different from the other places I had visited...

- Paul

OleBoy
January 15th, 2013, 08:19
I'm guessing a lot of you are wondering why I have yet to contribute.
Sensibly, I can not at this time. So for the time being, my name remains blue. Like our RW.

Blackbird686
January 15th, 2013, 08:30
I come here because:

1) There are a lot of sim-seasoned veterans here who participate and welcome new less-seasoned simmers
2) The vast majority here have earned my respect for their knowledge and willingness to share it
3) People here are genuinely interested in the flight sim community and contribute to the growth of like-minded membership
4) Those in #1 above show respect for the less seasoned among us and welcome all as equal (potential) contributors
5) There is a feeling of "family" here
6) This is a member supported site and we care about its overall quality
7) You haven't run me off yet :-)

:icon_eek: Geezz... I would NEVER want to do that, Milton. So my reason for comming here is that I feel a sense of "belonging" to something worthwhile. I feel that I have made a few friends here over time. The very least I can do is help out a little, I'm not much more than a nuisance for the rest of it.

BB686:USA-flag:

dandog
January 15th, 2013, 10:58
SOH is the single most important flightsim addon available. And the price is such a good deal. Seriously, if SOH disappeared, how much would your flightsim experience diminish? No one to share ideas with, get inspiration from, learn new flightsim tricks and tweaks, share experiences with, learn about other off the wall topics, find support with flightsim and life in general, have a social outlet, have a creative outlet, entertainment, and I am sure there is more!!!

Now quit bragging about your "rig", and spend a little money on SOH instead of the latest computer parts. Your computer is junk if you cannot use it to donate to SOH!

Just my "2 cents".

I know there are are other flightsim sites, but only one SOH.

Daniel

CybrSlydr
January 15th, 2013, 11:07
Because you come for the files but stay for the people.

SOH really is a one-of-a-kind place on the internet and it'd be a shame if something were to happen to it.

Naismith
January 15th, 2013, 12:42
Catholic guilt. It's hard you know.

CG_1976
January 15th, 2013, 15:51
I come here because it is home away from home. When I'm on duty in the US I come here because of the Canadian Membership and there Armed Forces Vets to keep me informed on my Canuk home and Vice verse when I'm on duty In Canada. So SOH provides me a inter communication between my homes of the US and Canada and our Armed Forces that I serve. Sempar Paratus and Ka Ganawaitak Saguenay.
SOH a donation will be coming soon, I'm just finishing up my Canada and US Taxes.

kilo delta
January 15th, 2013, 16:24
I come here for the cheap booze...and to pick up chicks.

Ian Warren
January 15th, 2013, 17:08
Any outfit that sends ya a note from half the away around the world saying Happy Birthday has to be worth ten Bucks :sheep: Sheep in our case :icon_lol:

Warrant
January 16th, 2013, 08:03
Because i like the smiley-collection here :cost1::sheep::cool:

krazycolin
January 16th, 2013, 08:16
Like Kilo, I come for the chicks... they're all soooooo beeeeyoootiiiifuuuuul!

Milton Shupe
January 16th, 2013, 08:29

Your avatar helps a lot too. :-)

Navy Chief
January 16th, 2013, 08:41
I've made a couple donations thus far. This site is one the few I visit several times a day. Although I haven't been active with flight simulation for a couple years (now just getting back into it), I have tried to stay current with all that's going on.

SOH members have SO much experience, and I appreciate the knowledge shared. I feel like I have a lot of friends on this site, and it is definitely worth supporting! Thank you Ickie, and everyone associated with the administration of this site.

Pete Ward

huub vink
January 16th, 2013, 12:02

Don't say things like that! My wife already suspects something just because of my avatar......

Another reason for me to donate for the SOH is the fact people can contact me here. Most of the read-me files which I include in my repaints end with "If there is any reason to contact me, just look or me at the Sim-Outhouse".

Cheers,
Huub

robcap
January 17th, 2013, 22:40
I would like to add that this is the place where I met most of the great people who were willing to help me effortlessly to create the Douglas DC2 package.
Flightmodel, paint job, coding, effect edditing, beta testing, (moddeling) tips from fellow developers, help with forum and website.
Great guys and a gall, who do this for the love of planes, flying and flightsimulation.
Ofcourse all volunteers, helping to keep that one of two DC2's in airworthy condition.
Hopefully we will see her fly again this season, when all paperwork is accepted and signed.

Cheers, Rob

robert41
January 18th, 2013, 16:42
All of the above.
This is a great place.

Milton Shupe
January 20th, 2013, 12:49
Dear Friends,

Donations are down to a trickle and we are still short $2000+.

I ask that if your name is in blue to please consider a small donation to help us get to the goal to pay our annual bandwidth bills.

We have 11 days to the end of the month and time is running out.

If you feel SOH and its membership has value to you, and you can afford to give without hurting life's necessities, we would certainly appreciate your support.

Thank you

FentiFlier1
January 20th, 2013, 13:30
I donated as soon as the "bandwidth drive" started although I'm new here. Well, to be honest I had been reading topics regularly for a year before... :wiggle:

I realised that I was getting all my flight sim news here including news of freeware planes and skins, enjoying all the interesting threads and the fascinating projects like the Harpoon or the Solomons scenery and many others. The fact this is an advert & pop-up free space is a big plus. It is also very civilised unlike some other places.

All in all my donation is money very well spent. I will donate a second time if need be.

Owen.

Roger
January 20th, 2013, 14:21
Many thanks Owen:ernae:

anthony31
January 20th, 2013, 22:28
Just made another donation to get over the $8,000 mark.

Quicksand
January 22nd, 2013, 14:40
I have found a way to donate again this year multiple times because I know how special this place is, and how lost I would be without it.. To put it in plain terms I had to sit down and actually figure down to my last dollar before I knew how much I could give... I feel that strongly about SOH.... My reason is loyalty... I am able to enjoy simming because of the good folks here.....

Ferry_vO
January 23rd, 2013, 09:20
This: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?75148-Bad-Duck is a very good reason to donate!

robcap
January 23rd, 2013, 09:21
Just made another donation to get over the $8,000 mark.
Ditto,
come on guys, if you can spare some more, try to help out SOH.

Chhers, R.

FentiFlier1
January 24th, 2013, 09:31
Need a good reason? Here's a good reason.

MM
January 26th, 2013, 05:04
It was duty and honor that led to the first donation. It is a deeply-felt appreciation that led to the second...

jeansy
January 26th, 2013, 05:20
ahh bugger it, i will donate again

what else am i going to do with my spare time ?

huub vink
January 27th, 2013, 06:37
Thanks Matt, everybody should of course donate what he wants and what he can afford. But I'm a bit disappointed when I see people who nearly buy every bit of pay-ware which is released, who are here more often than I am, but who obviously don't care enough about the SOH to make a small donation.

I can hardly imagine that they spend the same amount of time with their pay-ware as they do at the SOH.........

Huub

Reddog
January 27th, 2013, 06:48
Thanks Matt, everybody should of course donate what he wants and what he can afford. But I'm a bit disappointed when I see people who nearly buy every bit of pay-ware which is released, who are here more often than I am, but who obviously don't care enough about the SOH to make a small donation.

I can hardly imagine that they spend the same amount of time with their pay-ware as they do at the SOH.........

Huub

Yes, exactly!! please don't change the colors after this is all over I want to see who the free loaders are so I can get on them about it.

jeansy
January 27th, 2013, 15:45
its not hard to give up one 6 pack of beer or a pack of smokes, a movie ticket or whatever

come to think of it! a 6 pack and a pack of smokes here cost about $35 and come to think so do movie tickets

god my country is screwed......

anyway thats why i have SOH so I dont have to waste all my money on beer and smokes and going to the damn movies