PDA

View Full Version : AOPA and calling all real-life pilots!!!

CybrSlydr
January 14th, 2013, 05:37
So, I saw Witt posting a story from the AOPA and checked their website as I'm looking to get into CivAv.

What do you folks think about them as an organization? Do they offer anything for people looking to get into CivAv and the like? Anything you'd like to add? Anything that you as pilots would like to offer in way of advice?

pilottj
January 14th, 2013, 08:30
AOPA is a great organization, I was a member when I was actively flying and will resubscribe when I start flying again. As a member you are also in the running for AOPA's yearly airplane sweepstakes. They have a good saftey division with great info for pilots.
http://www.aopa.org/asf/

ASF put on seminars, if they have one in your area, I recommend going to it.

Cheers
TJ

Victory103
January 14th, 2013, 09:35
Agree with pilottj, use the site and if you are military you can get a 1yr free subscription to the site and mag. I use the ASF site for the great interactive training, which you get credit for with the FAA. Helps big time keeping my differences between military and civilian flying straight.

CybrSlydr
January 14th, 2013, 10:11
Just got back from having lunch with a CW3 who is going into CivAv when he gets out - what an amazing resource he was!

Suggested a job at an FBO to start rubbing elbows and networking as well as the EAA and CAP as organizations to get involved with. So much else, glad I brought something with which to take notes. :D

EDIT: Which of these jobs do you think would work best? It looks like the Line Service Tech.

https://landmarkaviationhr.silkroad.com/epostings/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.welcome&category_id=2742&company_id=16130&version=1&startflag=1&parent=Ground%20Operations&levelid1=2742

Victory103
January 14th, 2013, 15:48
I was misreading your post thinking CivAir was a company, but we generally just use "GA" for general aviation. I'm assuming your MOS is not aviation related, but the link doesn't show needing any previous experience, it would be very entry level. I do agree with him (I'm a CW3 also), but most small FBO's really don't pay much.

CybrSlydr
January 14th, 2013, 16:38
I was misreading your post thinking CivAir was a company, but we generally just use "GA" for general aviation. I'm assuming your MOS is not aviation related, but the link doesn't show needing any previous experience, it would be very entry level. I do agree with him (I'm a CW3 also), but most small FBO's really don't pay much.No, I'm a 13B Cannon Crewmember. O hail, o hail Artillery! :) When I got back from Deployment I was going to drop my Warrant pack to fly helos, but that's not gonna happen.Well, that's no big surprise on the pay - but it is at Port Columbus International, so while it's not O'hare or something, it's not some little podunk FBO.

beana51
January 15th, 2013, 10:28
As an Aircraft Owner,I have been with them for over 30 yrs.My aviation world would not be complete with out them.AOPA is an outstanding organization. A tireless advocate for general aviation.Highly recommended to join for pilots of every strip.....

CybrSlydr
January 15th, 2013, 10:41
Well, good to know - I'm now an AOPA and EAA member.

rdaniell
January 15th, 2013, 10:56
Well, good to know - I'm now an AOPA and EAA member.

That's good CybrSlydr. I've been a member of AOPA since the 1970s when I bought my first airplane....An Aeronca 7AC "Champ."

You've been given a lot of advice here so here's just a little more. Once you get yourself all settled in somewhere after your discharge, find a place to get your PPL. Commit to it as though it were a job. Put everything you've got into it. The more time you can devote to the training the better. I first soloed back in 1964 at Charleston Air Force Base, Charleston, S.C. Shortly after that I was assigned to Southeast Asia and was unable to complete the training while on active duty. It was a few years later that I could afford to start again. When I did, I completed the training in about 6 months. I flew nearly every week. I even took my long 300 mile cross country on Thanksgiving Day....My wife was not all that happy but, on December 6th of the same year, I passed my check ride.:running:

If you can get a job at a local FBO, that will be great but to repeat myself......however you get started, stay with it through completion. I would think that every full scale pilot here at the Outhouse will give you the same advice.

Again, best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

RD