PDA

View Full Version : Applying 3-views to calibration box (Issues)

OleBoy
January 13th, 2013, 09:46
Gmax 1.2 with the FSX SDK

I seem to be having trouble getting the 3-views on to the respective (detached) sides to where they look correct. Applying the "top" went fine.
When applying the "left" or "right" it is rotated vertical when it needs to be horizontal.
To eliminate this I open with photoshop, rotated and saved. This did not help.

I'm stump. And frustrated. :isadizzy:

hairyspin
January 13th, 2013, 10:49
Forgive my using 3ds Max here, but the principle is exactly the same. If you expand the UVW Mapping modifier in the stack (click on the '+') and select the mapping Gizmo, you can rotate this the necessary amount. You'll see the bitmap rotate as you do this.

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/637/mappinggizmo.jpg

A very useful thing here is to hit A to select Angle Snap, then your rotation will be in distinct steps - 5 degrees by default IIRC - and getting exactly 90 degrees is easy. The alternative is to use the Type-In Transform Box: right-click on Rotate button and it'll appear. You can then enter +/- 90 degrees as required. Or 180 if it's that bad...

Tako_Kichi
January 13th, 2013, 11:01
Here is the way I do it Don.

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af305/Tako_Kichi/map_1_zps803aff09.jpg

In the shot above you can see the rectangles (former sides of a box) set up for top, side and front views. Ignore the fact that there are two sets of rectangles as I used two different sets of 3-views to build my model in order to get all the details I required. In the above shot you can see I have selected the rectangle for the left view as it is shown as white.

Once the rectangle is selected you need to add a material to it and it needs to be a 'standard' G-Max material and not a FSX material. Open the material editor, pick 'New', make it a 'Standard' material and then hit 'Apply'. This attaches a blank material to the rectangle and then you will be able to see any changes you make on the rectangle as you make them.

The material roll-out is shown below in more detail:

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af305/Tako_Kichi/map_2_zps71147583.jpg

After you have applied the material to the rectangle go to the 'Maps' section and check the 'Diffuse Color' box and click the button beside that says 'None' (mine shows the name of the file as a texture is already applied).

This is the screen you should see now:

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af305/Tako_Kichi/map_3_zps84751832.jpg

In the 'Bitmap Parameters' section click on the button next to 'Bitmap:' and navigate to the location of your side view.

If (as you describe) the image comes in pointing the wrong way then go up to the 'Coordinates' section and play with the values in the 'Angle' section. Depending on how you made your image you may have to adjust the 'U', 'V' or 'W' value by 90 or 180 degrees. Just adjust them one at a time until the image on the rectangle looks correct. NOTE: You can enter the numbers directly into the boxes rather than using the up/down spinners if you prefer.

Hope that helps.

OleBoy
January 13th, 2013, 11:33
This is very helpful. Thanks to the both of you. I will give this another (several LOL!) attempt.

Another thing related that's getting in the way of my progress, when I initially "make" the box. This named Box01 never goes away when I detach all the sides and give them a name.
So, when I link them, the Box01 is being displayed when linked to the parent. How do I delete this?

Tako_Kichi
January 13th, 2013, 11:49
To get rid of the remaining box after you have detached your three required sides simply select it and hit the 'Delete' key on your keyboard.

OleBoy
January 13th, 2013, 11:50
It's that simple? :pop4::kilroy:

thanks

OleBoy
January 13th, 2013, 13:04
tosses in the towel. density over rules.:sleep:

OleBoy
January 15th, 2013, 08:36
I finally managed to get the calibration box laid out. I ask myself if it is correct.

Tako_Kichi
January 15th, 2013, 11:19
I see a couple of points that raise questions in your image OB.

1. The faces you use as a guide are normally 'beyond' the model when you look at it in the respective 'top', 'back' and 'side' (left or right) views. When you look at the font/side 'views' the flat surface with the 3-view image on it should be beyond the model. In other words the front view of the aircraft should be visible in the G-max 'back' window, the left view should be visible in the 'left' window and the plan view should be in the 'top' window. While talking of windows in Gmax the fourth window is set to 'Perspective' by default and you will need to change this to 'User' otherwise you will run into zoom issues as you try to zoom into parts to see detail.

Looking at your image it looks to me like the side view is on the wrong side of the plan view if it is meant to be the left side of the aircraft. You will need to rotate the flat plane 180° on the Z axis and then slide it across to the other side. You will then need to rotate the image on the plane using the U/V/W controls I mentioned earlier.

2. When you make the initial box to detach the sides from you generally make it to match the wingspan, length and height of the aircraft. The height being from the bottom of the wheels to the top of the tail when in the flying position/attitude. It looks like your front/side views have a lot of 'space' above and below the image which could affect the model size/proportions.

3. The thick black lines in Gmax represent the lines of the X,Y,Z origin. When you create a box in Gmax it will automatically come in with it's bottom face set to Z=0. The X/Y axes will pass through the centre point of the box. For FSX you need to set the point of origin at a specific location as the flight model references that location. In most cases it is set 1/4 of the chord length back from the leading edge in the top view and on the fore/aft centre-line. The height is set in the side view so that it runs just below the center-line of the prop which is generally around the same height as the top of the seat cushion in a GA cockpit. You will need to move the three 'view planes' all together as one unit in the left/right, fore/aft and up/down directions until the 'origin lines' are in the correct place (the lines are of course fixed and you have to move the planes accordingly).

Milton Shupe
January 16th, 2013, 06:03
I have done a couple tutorials in this calibration box topic that may help:

Here's a graphic tutorial I did about 8 years ago that may be helpful.

http://www.flightsimonline.com/gmax/calbox.htm

I also did this tutorial a few years ago:

http://www.flightsimonline.com/tutorials/calbox (http://www.flightsimonline.com/tutorials/calbox/index.htm)

Once you have prepared your 3-views and maintained the proper aspect ratios, you should be adjusting the map, not the 3-views.

If the 3-views have been cropped and the calibration box is sized to the proper dimensions, you can simply use the FIT option to match the box sides. However, be aware that this is usually off by a little, so verify the sizes in the dimensions shown in the command panel drop down and correct as necessary.

OleBoy
January 17th, 2013, 19:34
Milton, your tutorials are great. My forgetting a step in each phase without re-reading caused myself lots of grief. But, I finally managed to get it! LOL!

Yeah, OK. I'll have to do it allllll again on the next model. :kilroy::icon_lol:

Thanks for the tuts. :salute:
And thanks everyone for the assistance. Rest assured it won't be the last time you hear of my hurdles along the way.

Milton Shupe
January 17th, 2013, 20:09
You may be relieved to know that you have just conquered the most difficult of tasks in gmax. :applause:

Tako_Kichi
January 18th, 2013, 08:17
You may be relieved to know that you have just conquered the most difficult of tasks in gmax. :applause:
Which is closely followed by making your first wing root fairing!

Milton Shupe
January 18th, 2013, 09:42
Which is closely followed by making your first wing root fairing!

I have tutorials for that. Mapping is second on my list to challenge a newbie. :-)

hairyspin
January 18th, 2013, 10:50
Mapping is second on my list to challenge a newbie. :-)

+1! :isadizzy:

OleBoy
January 19th, 2013, 07:19
I've started to shape half the fuselage several times by starting with a cylinder and cutting half away. I start by working from the "top" view as I get the vertice ticks adjusted. Once happy with how it looks, I change to the side view and readjust them some more. Things seem to go well until I look at the shape from all views. For me, this gets confusing as everything seems to be out of alignment and mixed up. I set to hide back facing, but as I work my way round the vertice ticks seem as if they are crossing and overlapping themselves. I'm thinking this because as I move them I'm seeing what appears to be a tearing appearance. I know I am causing this by the method I'm working the tube. I just have to figure out where it all starts so I don't get to that point.

Milton Shupe
January 19th, 2013, 08:22
Do you have cross sections in the 3 view to help shape the fuselage along the way.

Remember also that you can hide vertices and polys when selected (Hide Mesh) to eliminate some of the confusing appearances as you work to shape the fuselage to the cross sections.

OleBoy
January 19th, 2013, 10:07
I learned that trying to move things too much is a no-no. While reviewing you 162 fuselage tutorial and where you have created the tube, after you have rotated it parallel to the fuselage on the 3-view, that your tube is showing the poly lines when it is see-through. I can't seem to find the settings to have the same appearance. I have my settings to see-through w/shaded facets only. This works, though not the best.

I do have cross sections. I just don't know what I need to do to get them on a plane to pull them in as a second box-side to the left-views and bottom views.
I think once I get past these areas thing should go fairly well for a while.

From here on I will keep all my questions and hurdles in this topic to avoid clutter.

Milton Shupe
January 19th, 2013, 11:09
I usually create a plane and texture it for each of the cross sections.

I position it longitudinally, vertically and horizontally where it should be at the proper stations.

Once that is done, you can unhide the one you need.

Then with the fuselage, hide all the mesh except the vertices at the station you are working on.

OleBoy
January 19th, 2013, 11:20
That was kind of in the lines of my way of thinking. I've approached the thought of bringing them in on another plane, though I think I may have trouble with scaling at this point. I'll play around with the drawings in Photoshop and see if I can get this to work.

Thank you, Milton.

Milton Shupe
January 19th, 2013, 11:25
Here are some shots showing what I did for the Cant Z1007.

Visuals are sometimes more helpful.

OleBoy
January 19th, 2013, 11:56
Hey, I like that method. Visuals really help me out a lot. :salute:

OleBoy
January 19th, 2013, 13:03
Alright, that wasn't too difficult. My next move is to put them into a "Group". Am I thinking right?

hairyspin
January 19th, 2013, 13:07
No, only use Groups if you know what you're using them for, especially in FSX modeling: horrible problems for the unaware. :pop4:

OleBoy
January 19th, 2013, 13:16
OK, well, what I'm wanting to do is have a way to hide/unhide, move as a whole. What should I do to accomplish this. Create a Parent and link-to, or?

Export selected? Import when needed? I'm not sure what term to search the help files for an answer, so.

Milton Shupe
January 19th, 2013, 13:29
Just put them in a link hierarchy. Hide or unhide what you need to.

N2056
January 19th, 2013, 13:31
Create a "selection set". The circled drop down box is where you work with those. To create one select all the parts you want in the set and then type a name for that set into the box. Later when you want to use that set drop down the menu and select the set you want. It is a very useful tool!

OleBoy
January 19th, 2013, 13:41
Create a "selection set". The circled drop down box is where you work with those. To create one select all the parts you want in the set and then type a name for that set into the box. Later when you want to use that set drop down the menu and select the set you want. It is a very useful tool!

That's more what I want to do.
Thanks! :salute: