PDA

View Full Version : POSTED: Martin RM-1

Tango_Romeo
January 5th, 2009, 21:39
I've just uploaded the Martin 404/RM-1, which should be available for download tomorrow. :mixedsmi:

I started this project as a simple AI to enchance the skies of the early fifties in Korea. But she turned into a nice little airplane, so I made her a player with full animations, VC, 2D panel and multi-LOD. Great FPS. :kiss:

She's a sweet little ship, and you might enjoy flying her in addition to using her as a nice AI. :engel016:

Tango_Romeo
January 5th, 2009, 22:54
...her a steerable nosewheel, complex flaps and the sexiest set of 10-door landing gear ever seen! :jump:

You haven't lived until you've seen those gear doors cycle in external view! :engel016:

Dirtman
January 6th, 2009, 05:25
Many Thanks TR

Yur our HERO!!!

Skipsan
January 6th, 2009, 06:53
Just simply WONDERFUL :ernae::ernae::ernae:
TR, takes me back in time to Gulfport, Ms and flights to Atlanta, Ga in my SeaBee days. Great flights wonderful big Pullman train type sets and a big [picture window] to look out of.

Thank you :woot:

Skipsan :kilroy:

Jagdflieger
January 6th, 2009, 09:08
Very nice TR!

Tango_Romeo
January 6th, 2009, 09:49
...of reports that while the close and distance LODs are fine, the mid-range LOD is flying around with her gear down. :faint:

There are actually 4 LODs in addition to the main MDL, and I will get the culprit sorted shortly. :gossip:

I'll post an updated MDL file when I do. :rapture:

In the meanwhile, let me know, if you discover any other glitches. :typing:

Rami
January 6th, 2009, 11:55
Excellent job, Tango! :applause:

PSULLYKEYS
January 6th, 2009, 14:19
OK TR!!!!:ernae:

AGAS 5
January 6th, 2009, 15:04
Thanks TR :applause:

Appreciate your work mate.

Pete

Ravenna
January 6th, 2009, 16:06
Great stuff TR!!

jimskifs
January 6th, 2009, 17:01
Cool!

I am so old that I used to fly the very similar Convair 240.

OK, here is favorite Convair story. I had been flying a Convair with Don H, one of the world's greatest pilots for sure, but I had left the company. Don had a deal to fly newspapers of national circulation each night from St Louis, near the printing plant, to cities in the Midwest on a Convair 240. One night over Iowa he had an engine fire that he could not put out. He spiraled down and in the black of night bellyed into a cornfield. No one got hurt, but the plane clearly out of it. Later I talked with the plane's mechanic who was also on the flight that night. I asked him what became of the plane. He said they took trucks and cranes to the cornfield and salvaged all they could. Then the insurance company made a deal with the farmer to leave the Convair hulk there and he converted it to a pig sty! So if you are driving across Iowa and see a Convair 240 out in the cornfield with pigs running in and out, you know the story. No kidding!

Jimski

Tango_Romeo
January 6th, 2009, 20:12
...the replacement MDL file that corrects the issue with one of the LOD models and the landing gear. :engel016:

It should be available for download tomorrow...in the meanwhile, if you just have to have it, drop me your email and I'll shoot it over. :gossip:

Jagdflieger
January 6th, 2009, 20:27
A great addition to the hanger!

Tango_Romeo
January 6th, 2009, 21:03
Cool!

I am so old that I used to fly the very similar Convair 240.

OK, here is favorite Convair story. I had been flying a Convair with Don H, one of the world's greatest pilots for sure, but I had left the company. Don had a deal to fly newspapers of national circulation each night from St Louis, near the printing plant, to cities in the Midwest on a Convair 240. One night over Iowa he had an engine fire that he could not put out. He spiraled down and in the black of night bellyed into a cornfield. No one got hurt, but the plane clearly out of it. Later I talked with the plane's mechanic who was also on the flight that night. I asked him what became of the plane. He said they took trucks and cranes to the cornfield and salvaged all they could. Then the insurance company made a deal with the farmer to leave the Convair hulk there and he converted it to a pig sty! So if you are driving across Iowa and see a Convair 240 out in the cornfield with pigs running in and out, you know the story. No kidding!

Jimski

...told me that the Martin and Convair twins were almost identical in flight characteristics. The 131 was the miliary version of the Convair 440, which I think was the upgraded pressurized version of the Convair 240. I flew aboard the 131 which the Air Force used as a navigator trainer. Similarly, the Martin 202 was a contemporary of the Convair 240. I get lost in the Convair string that ranges from the 240 to 340 to 440 to 580 and then the 'V' versions with turboprops. LOL. :ernae:

We had a similar situation to your Convair story just west of Fort Lauderdale in the early 70s, but it was a DC-6B as I remember. :engel016:

Tango_Romeo
January 6th, 2009, 21:34
...photos of Coast Guard Martins....originally designated as RM-1s and later as RM-1Zs. When they got the new turboprops, the designation changed to VC-3A. Talk about your esoteric trivia. :wiggle:

The B&W shot is a plane that was painted like my model.....until the Coasties got on the Orange Paint Jag. :kilroy:

Tango_Romeo
January 6th, 2009, 21:40
The first three 404s I flew on as a youngster. :typing:

Remember when flight crews dressed like that, and flying was expensive and a luxurious way to travel? :ernae:

Note the updated radome on the TWA plane...

TARPSBird
January 6th, 2009, 22:49
TR, very nice job on the plane. I'm surprised you got enough reference material to make it, there's not a lot that comes up in a search. Got any pics of the RM-1 in USN markings? I'm curious as to what Bureau No. series they were in.

Tango_Romeo
January 7th, 2009, 00:55
I'm surprised you got enough reference material to make it, there's not a lot that comes up in a search. Got any pics of the RM-1 in USN markings? I'm curious as to what Bureau No. series they were in.

The research was a snap as the RM-1s were standard Martin 404s...no special military mods. :gossip:

I've never seen any photos of the RM-1s in Navy skins. Below is the only other photo I have of her in military dress.:faint:

The two aircraft in the photos above are tail numbers 1282 and 1283, but I'm unsure of the contract year. :jump:

'They were given Coast Guard serial numbers 1282 and 1283.
The aircraft were turned over to the U.S. Navy who gave them Bureau Numbers 158202 and 158203.'

TARPSBird
January 7th, 2009, 07:14
Thanks TR, the USN Bureau No.'s were what I was looking for. :)

Dirtman
January 8th, 2009, 15:17
In the meanwhile, let me know, if you discover any other glitches. :typing:

I'm not picking nits but you did ask..... :gossip:

In external view: I noticed that upon engine start; both are on immediately with props spinning. Not the usual sequential start.

That's all I've seen ..... otherwise a magnificent new bird Sir!!!

BRAVO!!!
:applause: :applause: :applause:

Tango_Romeo
January 8th, 2009, 17:17
I'm not picking nits but you did ask..... :gossip:

In external view: I noticed that upon engine start; both are on immediately with props spinning. Not the usual sequential start.

That's all I've seen ..... otherwise a magnificent new bird Sir!!!

BRAVO!!!
:applause: :applause: :applause:

...I was too lazy to do an FS2000 AIR from scratch (and none exist), so I used an FS98 AIR file. Those do not support progressive, delayed engine starts. :friday:

When I started her as an AI, it didn't seem to matter. :faint:

Dirtman
January 9th, 2009, 09:33
...I was too lazy

Awwwe yer much too modest Sir....

Please choose one of the following:

a) Too tired because you are recovering from surgery
b) Mrs Tango keeps you too busy
c) You are worn out from ogling the MILF's at your health club
d) all of the above
e) too tired from answering all my dumb questions
f) choose answer "e" twice

so I used an FS98 AIR file. Those do not support progressive, delayed engine starts. :friday:

When I started her as an AI, it didn't seem to matter. :faint:

Thanks for the info, this makes perfect sense.
I swear you have forgotten more about CFS2 than I know right now.

... must be because of all the beer :friday:

Tango_Romeo
January 9th, 2009, 11:21
Please choose one of the following:

a) Too tired because you are recovering from surgery
b) Mrs Tango keeps you too busy
c) You are worn out from ogling the MILF's at your health club
d) all of the above
e) too tired from answering all my dumb questions
f) choose answer "e" twice

:friday:

B and C (Just ogling, or will you allow for messing around in the pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi?)! And what happened to the 'Seaside Tanning Studio' option? :whistle:

I've been so busy since I retired that I can't figure out how I ever had time to work. :sleep:

SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: A recent study has revealed that not only is CFS2 habit-forming and addictive, but that it can be hazardous to your quality of life. It's one of those too much of a good thing issues. If left untreated, this addiction can lead to loss of sleep, weight gain and all sorts of other crappy stuff. Recommended Treatment: Limit CFS2 and SOH activities to every other day. Check your email only once per day...and skip a day once in awhile. Left untreated a CFS2 addiction can lead to a condition similar to that which erufle currently suffers.