PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Cockpit dillema

grover1
January 9th, 2013, 14:59
Hi all,

I'm at a loss here. I've been working to try and get a virtual cockpit going for a Go229 I'm working on, but I have no idea how to start. Does anyone know of any links or resources for virtual cockpits? I was thinking of exporting the CFS3 GO229 cockpit, but I'm not sure that can be done. I'll try to post some in-progress pictures by the end of the week. I noticed there isn't one of these birds out there.

Thanks for any and all help

Chris

Milton Shupe
January 9th, 2013, 15:40
Hi all,

I'm at a loss here. I've been working to try and get a virtual cockpit going for a Go229 I'm working on, but I have no idea how to start. Does anyone know of any links or resources for virtual cockpits? I was thinking of exporting the CFS3 GO229 cockpit, but I'm not sure that can be done. I'll try to post some in-progress pictures by the end of the week. I noticed there isn't one of these birds out there.

Thanks for any and all help

Chris

Yes ... About 5 years ago I did a series of graphic tutorials for building an aircraft, exterior and interior models.
http://www.flightsimonline.com/C162/

See exercises 17-20.

I also did a video tutorial for getting the interior model started. Then view the 4 tutorials (17-20) that describe how to get the basic VC panel setup and functioning.

These 4 basic tutorials should help you get started. They were targeted for FS9 but these are the same steps I use today for development and for FSX portovers. Once you have the basics working and in place, you can then visit FSDeveloper.com to get the FSX design tips.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?93-Gmax-Tutorials&p=505&viewfull=1#post505

See the last link in post#2 for the video tutorial, download and watch that. Then do exercise #17, #18,19, and 20 to finish up.

grover1
January 9th, 2013, 17:14
Hi Milton,

Thanks for the quick response and your tutorials are very impressive and VERY easy to follow! Is it the same method in 3DSMax as well?

I hope you have a good day,

Chris

dandog
January 9th, 2013, 17:58
Hey Mr. Shupe, are these tutorials good for FSX native? I might just try to force this old brain to learn something.

Milton Shupe
January 9th, 2013, 19:28
These are the simple fundamentals to constructing a vc model in either sim.

Once you have this in place for FSX or FS9, you can go your separate ways.

Modeling gauges, textures, and animations are the main differences but you can use the FS9 process to have a functional VC.

Native Animations in FSX are done a little differently.

Textures have more options, and gauge backlighting is/can be done differently.

But, I'll leave the differences for native FSX modelers to explain.

grover1
January 12th, 2013, 00:40
I forgot to ask, is the interior model, such as seats, control columns, trim, throttles, and all that stuff separate from the virtual cockpit and would I model that with the interior or would I model that with the virtual cockpit?

Stickshaker
January 12th, 2013, 03:02
I know nothing about FSX plane design, but it is fantastic that you are making a new Go-229!

robcap
January 12th, 2013, 03:32
I forgot to ask, is the interior model, such as seats, control columns, trim, throttles, and all that stuff separate from the virtual cockpit and would I model that with the interior or would I model that with the virtual cockpit?

A plane in FS9 or FSX has an interior model and an exterior model (in Gmax)
So, you interior model will include the VC, and all other stuff, like cabins seats etc.
The VC is part of your interior model, and is the viewpoint from where you look at your interior model.

In FSX you build and export both models seperately, so both models are built seperately in Gmax, hence you see 2 model files in the model folder.
in FS9 both models are built together as 2 groups in Gmax (so you have 1 Gmax file with both models in it), and exported as 1 model to FS9.
Therefore you can exchange interiors in FSX (just needs some typing in the model.cfg). In FS9 you are confined to the VC the modeller gives you.

Good luck on your yourney:salute:, a good VC and interior will cost at least as much time ast the extyerior model, if not more ..... :kilroy:

R.

brianf51
January 12th, 2013, 03:47
Rob's correct in his assessment the VC is part of the interior model and totally separate from and exterior models. Even if you could manage both models in the same project file, and in FSDS as I use you can, both models rapidly become complex enough to require their own model project files if you're not going to fall foul of the polygon and vertice limits.

Brian

grover1
January 12th, 2013, 13:10
Thanks for the kind words, all. I'll be starting with a C162 to learn the basics of Flight Simulator design in 3DSMax and GMax, then get going on the GO229. It's been interesting so far and everyone has been so patient and tolerant with me! Does anyone have any files that I could use as an example for doing the interior model? So far, the exterior and the animations are going fairly well

Milton Shupe
January 12th, 2013, 13:21
Thanks for the kind words, all. I'll be starting with a C162 to learn the basics of Flight Simulator design in 3DSMax and GMax, then get going on the GO229. It's been interesting so far and everyone has been so patient and tolerant with me! Does anyone have any files that I could use as an example for doing the interior model? So far, the exterior and the animations are going fairly well

What kind of aircraft example would you like? Single engine, twin, tri-motor, tail dragger?

I am willing to share any of my gmax source with you, although built for FS9, the concepts are the same until you get to FSX animations and texturing.

grover1
January 12th, 2013, 13:56
Any and all is greatly appreciated! Milton, your work is phenomenal as well! Your C162 tutorial is easy to follow and the directions are great!

warchild
January 13th, 2013, 01:42
Could this please be put somewhere where modelers can access it quickly and easily?? This type of information is invaluable and an amazing aid to anyone wishing to learn 3D and i'd hate to see it become lost in the scroll..
Thanks
Pam

Milton Shupe
January 13th, 2013, 04:29
Could this please be put somewhere where modelers can access it quickly and easily?? This type of information is invaluable and an amazing aid to anyone wishing to learn 3D and i'd hate to see it become lost in the scroll..
Thanks
Pam

Pam, it is all down in the Design forum.