PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to the Duxford airshow tomorrow

ian elliot
October 4th, 2008, 09:21
I think it could get seriously wet, have a good day if your brave enough to go, and if i get any decent pictures, i'll post them.
cheers ian :wavey:

Willy
October 4th, 2008, 09:50
Thanks Ian. I'd love to go, but I'm kind of stuck over on this side of the pond. But I'm looking forward to the pictures.

huub vink
October 4th, 2008, 11:00
Enjoy Ian, hopefully I can visit Duxford somewhere in the future.

Huub

michael davies
October 4th, 2008, 11:52
Not on your life !, have you seen the weather for tomorrow ?, were bunkered down at work with forecast 70mph winds at midnight and they forecast 12mm/hr rain tomorrow, now I know Duxford is 50 miles aways but 12mm of rain and all that wind has got to come from one big cloud !.

Right now were running at 60mph at crane height ( read airshow flyby height ) and 40+ at ground level, its supposed to last until 12:00 tomorrow, wind is Westerly so will blow through Duxford first but at that speed only an hour or so before.

Heres a good accurate weather site, its at sea level but you can double wind heights from sea level to crane height

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/walton-on-the-naze

Best

Michael

alastairmonk
October 4th, 2008, 21:07
I may well brave the weather - if only because this may well be my last chance to see the Vulcan fly. A commercial sponsor for the 2009 season still hasn't been found and there's questions whether it will be flying next year.

I was at Duxford on the Sunday of the 90th Anniversary Air Show when the Vulcan had to cancel its appearance due to bad weather so I'm hoping for better luck today.

Back in the mid-70s I was growing up in the North-West and my Dad took me and my brother to several of the airshows at Woodford (where the Vulcan was developed) where the Vulcan display was always a highlight.

Alastair

ian elliot
October 5th, 2008, 09:53
In the end i chicken'd out, got up at six this morning, stuck my head out the window and figured it was better to go back to bed, the weather maps looked real bad, its been a bad airshow season here in the UK, ive only been to one (Duxford again) and that was because Fairford was cancalled, better luck next year. If anyone did go, it would be intresting to know what kind of a day you had.
cheers ian
PS, wish i';d know earlyer Alastair, found out on the Aircraft illistrated spotters forum that the Vulcan display was cancelled due to tech failuer a week ago, hope you didnt have a wasted journey.

alastairmonk
October 6th, 2008, 11:38
Hi Ian,

Not to worry - I ended up not going either. Checking at the IWM Duxford website the listing of appearing aircraft didn't show the Vulcan so I checked the Vulcan to the Sky website and similarly found the notice about the engine problem.

As it was raining here in west London pretty much solidly here until mid-afternoon I think we made the right decision.

Cheers,

Alastair

Bradburger
October 6th, 2008, 11:44
Whilst it seems it was bit damp to start with, it looks like those that went managed to get quite a good show!

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=85014

Shame the weather has not played ball at many of the shows this season, and sadly the display at Old Warden was cancelled earlier in the day becuase of it.

Fingers crossed that next year we have a glorious summer!

Cheers

Paul

Firebar
October 7th, 2008, 09:54
Here's to a Good Summer and a Flying Vulcan. :ernae:

There seems to be a multitude of problems with XH558, she had to cancel for Bournemouth due to an undercarriage problem. Not surprising for an airframe that old though.