PDA

View Full Version : Catalina-HD...

McLeland Peter
January 7th, 2013, 11:32
I've been trying this machine out as a candidate for my forthcoming tour of the New Zealand North Island...I'm not yet sure if it is the right amphibian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yrchEGcWcg

The video runs for less that four minutes and is best viewed with the Quality clicked up to 1080p and the Full Screen icon at bottom right corner clicked.

Thanks for looking :)

luckydog
January 7th, 2013, 11:39
Very Nice !! Have you tried out a Grumman Goose ( my favorite ) ??

McLeland Peter
January 7th, 2013, 11:52
Very Nice !! Have you tried out a Grumman Goose ( my favorite ) ??

Is there a really good one for FSX (I'm using P3D)?

luckydog
January 7th, 2013, 12:38
Is there a really good one for FSX (I'm using P3D)?

I like the OZx Goose 21A.......but I can't remember where I found it...........

Ferry_vO
January 7th, 2013, 12:55
I like the OZx Goose 21A.......but I can't remember where I found it...........

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/633-ozx-grumman-goose-hd-redux-120/

:)

BTW Good to see you here Mr. McLeland!

McLeland Peter
January 8th, 2013, 03:28
Thank you Luck Dog and Ferry...I'll have a look at it :)

wombat666
January 8th, 2013, 05:27
I was really disappointed with the Cat, go with the 'Enhanced Goose' if you need a twin, just me, myself, for touring around NZ I'll take the Carenado Cessna 206 Amphibian every time.
Not sure what Aerosoft were thinking, wrong models (all either PBY5 or PBY5A, nothing like a PBY6 in the package) and some grossly inaccurate paints.
I'm a bit picky, my Father flew Cats with 43 Squadron for a time and thanks to him, I know the 'RAAF' Cat is painted up in a 'Flight of Fantasy' scheme.
:173go1:

McLeland Peter
January 8th, 2013, 07:02
I was really disappointed with the Cat, go with the 'Enhanced Goose' if you need a twin, just me, myself, for touring around NZ I'll take the Carenado Cessna 206 Amphibian every time.
Not sure what Aerosoft were thinking, wrong models (all either PBY5 or PBY5A, nothing like a PBY6 in the package) and some grossly inaccurate paints.
I'm a bit picky, my Father flew Cats with 43 Squadron for a time and thanks to him, I know the 'RAAF' Cat is painted up in a 'Flight of Fantasy' scheme.
:173go1:

Hmmm...Carenado don't seem to make one of those...My Google search comes up with nothing found!

Edit...OK I found it and got it and tried it...Yes, I agree with your recommendation. It is much handier and I will be able to enjoy the scenery rather than grapple with an aeroplane that handles a bit like an elephant :)

roger-wilco-66
January 20th, 2013, 13:35
Well, flying elephants, that was what they were, weren't they :-)
I have the Aerosoft PBY since it came out and I think it's outstanding, one of my favourites also in P3D. It can be a handful to fly, but that's ok, I expect that from such an aircraft.
It has a few quirks, but to me these are mostly related to a multi-crew aircraft driven by a single "crew" in the sim. Unfortunatly, there is no load sharing or splitting of tasks like in the A2A B17 or B377.
I also think the lowering of the floats, which in the sim act like flaps, is a bit off and makes the aircraft float during landing more than it should, but who am I to really judge that since I have never flown one in real life.
The reaction of the aircraft can be anticipated and dealt with so it's ok for me.

Cheers,
Mark