PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Photoshop CS2 for free!

Tim-HH
January 7th, 2013, 07:31
Hi,

Adobe Creative Suite 2 (which includes Photoshop CS2) is now available as a free download on the Adobe website (http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?loc=en&e=cs2_downloads).

Only a free Adobe account is required :)

Greetings
Tim

dougal
January 7th, 2013, 07:51
Hi,

Adobe Creative Suite 2 (which includes Photoshop CS2) is now available as a free download on the Adobe website (http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?loc=en&e=cs2_downloads).

Only a free Adobe account is required :)

Greetings
Tim

LOL Site temporarily unavailable. I wonder why;-)

CP1207
January 7th, 2013, 13:03
So nope, found this on Forbes.com:

Adobe scientist Dov Isaacs (http://forums.adobe.com/message/4974662#4974662) clarifies:
On behalf of Adobe Systems (http://www.forbes.com/companies/adobe-systems/) Incorporated …
You have heard wrong! Adobe is absolutely not providing free copies of CS2!
What is true is that Adobe is terminating the activation servers for CS2 and that for existing licensed users of CS2 who need to reinstall their software, copies of CS2 that don’t require activation but do require valid serial numbers are available. (Special serial numbers are provided on the page for each product download.) See <http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1114930>.

Good info to have, I have a number of the Adobe products listed and am about due for my desktop to nuke itself again.
Some sketchy stuff out there in the news. Not sure quite what happened.

OleBoy
January 7th, 2013, 13:06
WTF?

Stefano Zibell
January 7th, 2013, 13:13
Can't see how providing download links and a universal serial key is NOT giving it away. It's at the very least signing the "I don't give a ****" statement.

Ferry_vO
January 7th, 2013, 13:28
Can't see how providing download links and a universal serial key is NOT giving it away. It's at the very least signing the "I don't give a ****" statement.

for existing licensed users of CS2 who need to reinstall their software

So it's free if you've already bought it... ;)

Basically they are giving a version that doesn't need online activation (Because they are no longer doing that) to those who previously purchased it.

Ian Warren
January 7th, 2013, 16:29
Well Adobe CS5.5 maybe a little expensive , registration is great - makes you feel like a fluffy duck in cotton wool and its uses and operations , the format and interface .. Gorgeous ! best dollars i've spent ! :cool:<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Kiwikat
January 7th, 2013, 20:34
Ugh CS2 is like a nightmare from the past. I much prefer CS4. I am sure the newer versions are even better. Heck, I even prefer Gimp 2.8 to CS2... :sleep:

ryanbatc
January 7th, 2013, 20:35
Although it doesn't help for painting... I user Lightroom 4 for anything picture related.... wonderful product.

anthony31
January 7th, 2013, 22:26
Heck, I even prefer Gimp 2.8 to CS2... :sleep:

Good grief, surely it can't be as bad as the Gimp UI?

Tim-HH
January 8th, 2013, 00:43
What a weird story! On the one hand, one reads that it was not Adobes intention to make CS2 available to the public and, on the other hand, the download is now available even without a registration: http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html

Greetings
Tim

OleBoy
January 8th, 2013, 06:00
Adobe Illustrator CS2 installed and fully functional. Perfect.
Thanks Adobe for the freebies.

jankees
January 8th, 2013, 06:34
I started repainting with Illustrator 4, even before the CS series, and first started photoshop with CS2 I think...I am with CS6 now, but every time they come out with a new version, I am still perfectly happy with the previous versions. I have a boss that pays for my new versions, but if you don't, grab this opportunity I'd say!

bushpilot
January 8th, 2013, 07:24
Ugh CS2 is like a nightmare from the past. I much prefer CS4. I am sure the newer versions are even better. Heck, I even prefer Gimp 2.8 to CS2... :sleep:

Nothing wrong with CS2, it was actually quite good, less cluttered than the latest installments. GIMP would be great if it had CMYK support and didn't have horrible GUI.

I started learning Photoshop with version 4.0 back in 90's. What a rudimentary software it was. I remember when they released 4.5 and it had groundbreaking feature which enabled you to edit text!!:icon_lol:

MarkH
January 8th, 2013, 08:39
On the one hand, one reads that it was not Adobes intention to make CS2 available to the public and, on the other hand, the download is now available even without a registration

Adobe has been fairly clear that it isn't giving this away. Just because it's easy to steal doesn't make it legal!

Tim-HH
January 8th, 2013, 10:33
Just because it's easy to steal doesn't make it legal!

They haven't said it's illegal either: blogs.adobe.com (http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2013/01/update-on-cs2-and-acrobat-7-activation-servers.html).

And, in fact, it would be very easy to ask for a valid CS2 serial number in order to access the download page.

Greetings
Tim

MarkH
January 8th, 2013, 10:40
They haven't said it's illegal either: blogs.adobe.com (http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2013/01/update-on-cs2-and-acrobat-7-activation-servers.html).

Yes they have (http://forums.adobe.com/message/4974662#4974662).

Dangerousdave26
January 8th, 2013, 11:04
Here is what happened and why...

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4975443#4975443

Please take the time to read Ozpeter's response.

This was an error on Adobe's part. They will be addressing it shortly in the future.

Its quite an interesting flub up that got out of control.

***Edit I should note that you can only legally download from this if you have previously purchased the product.

Illegally anyone can download from the page and install the software which I do not advise.

OleBoy
January 8th, 2013, 11:08
Adobe is the one on the podium right now. They need to admit to their "goof" and clarify the outcome of the circumstances transpired. This should be interesting.
I'll take a guess and say they're going to absorb their snafu.

In the meantime my download has been uninstalled.

MarkH
January 8th, 2013, 12:15
They need to admit to their "goof"...

Oh, please. This is the height of arrogance - Adobe did a tech support good thing, someone noticed and started a rumour, and now Adobe's the villain?! They've set the record straight so get over it. If you want it, pay for it. Or steal it, but don't expect us those of us who are $1000 into Photoshop to clap.

nigel richards
January 8th, 2013, 13:24
Adobe Illustrator CS2 installed and fully functional. Perfect.
Thanks Adobe for the freebies.

Me too OleBoy, Illustrator is a SUPERB design environment!!!

Edit: Good advice; pay, or vacate via Martin Baker!

OleBoy
January 8th, 2013, 13:57
Oh, please. This is the height of arrogance - Adobe did a tech support good thing, someone noticed and started a rumour, and now Adobe's the villain?! They've set the record straight so get over it. If you want it, pay for it. Or steal it, but don't expect us those of us who are $1000 into Photoshop to clap.

I said nothing about anyone being a villain. They goofed. Point blank. "I" responded to "free". So I looked into it, and downloaded it.
I am a legit customer of Adobe Photoshop CS3. So I don't have to convince anyone of of anything. I'm not a thief. PERIOD!!
Now, take your arrogance and "stuff it". Turkey. :salute:

My apologies to the Admin and members of the forum for venting.

Dangerousdave26
January 8th, 2013, 14:57
Gentlemen both of you stand down and keep it civil.

hairyspin
January 9th, 2013, 10:38
There's a lot of hoohah about this so I had another look. First thing, I already have Photoshop CS2 and have had for a good while: it has served me well, running in Win7 64-bit.

If you go to the Adobe home page and search for "CS2 downloads" using their own search box, you'll find the right page easily. I wasn't logged in and there was no request for ID of any sort. Nor was there any warning about eligibility, just download links and serial numbers.

I make no comment about legality or entitlements, it just strikes me the horse is long gone and the door is still swinging. Quite what Adobe do now remains to be seen. Or have they in one move spiked the pirates' guns?
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

hairyspin
January 14th, 2013, 22:12
It would seem Adobe have bowed to the inevitable - or maybe it was planned after all. :isadizzy: Search Adobe now and you won't find much suggesting the downloads are for existing customers only. I can only find a reference on someone's blog and that - terribly sorry Adobe - is not a legally binding form of EULA.

Still using my pre-existing Photoshop CS2 licence. :salute: Still think this is the smartest marketing and anti-piracy move they could have made.

sidler
January 15th, 2013, 05:45
If I were to purchase Adobe....which is best for scenery design ?

Thanks

Sieggie
January 15th, 2013, 06:38
If I were to purchase Adobe....which is best for scenery design ?

Thanks

I believe you can only purchase the most recent version. Photoshop, which is part of CreativeSuite6, is the only thing Adobe makes that can be used for flight sim "Thing" creation. It is a Texture Editor, which means you can use it to create textures for buildings, after you create the buildings in some other modeling program. You can use it to modify photo scenery for the Night and possibly the seasonal changes, again after you create the base texture with some other program. You can use it to create new skins for aircraft. This is the predominate use for photoshop in Flight Simming. Most developers release the paint kits in photoshop format. If you are going to purchase CS6, make sure you sit down before the price pops up.

Dave

hairyspin
January 15th, 2013, 11:20
If the price is a little off-putting, bear in mind that other bitmap editors will both read and write .PSD files so Photoshop is not the only tool for FS graphics. PaintShop Pro is much cheaper and can handle .PSD files with ease (I used to use it myself), and there are others - Gimp is free and can save as .PSD if you want.

Modeling software for creating scenery includes Gmax and Google Sketchup: both are free downloads.

sidler
January 15th, 2013, 13:36
Thanks for the advise guy's...I will look at Gimp and PaintShop Pro also.

Sidler

Sieggie
January 15th, 2013, 16:14
Sidler,

You might want to look at ScruffyDuck's ADE, which is used to place the models you create using GMAX, SketchUp, and PaintShop on the airport and to create the runways, taxiways and other airport items.

Dave