PDA

View Full Version : Touchdown Sounds missing?

falcon409
January 6th, 2013, 10:20
I don't know if that's the problem here, but it's back (actually not sure it ever left). Back maybe earlier this past year I posted about having this problem, where, when I would touch down, rather than getting the screech of tires on concrete/asphalt, I would get the sounds of a float on water. Well, unrelated to this I purchased the A2A "Accu-Feel" (great program, love it). I thought, hmmm, bet this'll fix it. . . .lol. . .nope, the water sounds on TD are still there. Does anyone know what sounds are default for landing? Only thing that makes any sense is that those sounds have been deleted somehow and it is defaulting to the "next best thing".

Any ideas, suggestions? Thanks!! :salute:

robert41
January 6th, 2013, 10:50
Is this with certain AC or all AC? In the AC sound CFG, toward the bottom, gives you the touchdown sound files used for the specific AC. The sound files are in the sound folder.

falcon409
January 6th, 2013, 11:02
Is this with certain AC or all AC? In the AC sound CFG, toward the bottom, gives you the touchdown sound files used for the specific AC. The sound files are in the sound folder.
Cannot be traced to a specific airplane, seems to affect all. Based on what's in the sound files I looked at, the correct touch down files are in the main sound folder. Nothing appears to be missing. So if the correct soundfiles are present, and the aircraft sound file is calling the correct sounds for touch down, why is the sim bypassing that and playing what it wants to?

Weird.:isadizzy:

Lewis-A2A
January 6th, 2013, 11:12
Theres normnally limited sounds for touchdown, which is one of the reasons we created accu-sim and accu-feel. Anyhow, we have recently found that if your controller, pedals for brakes isnt setup correctly then it could be that FSX believe the brakes to always be ON even if only a tiny tiny amount. This has the side effect that many sounds and actions dependant on brakes will not work. I believe this would also affect landing sounds.

Worth a try remapping your brakes and maybe adding some deadzone to the controller?

falcon409
January 6th, 2013, 11:15
Theres normnally limited sounds for touchdown, which is one of the reasons we created accu-sim and accu-feel. Anyhow, we have recently found that if your controller, pedals for brakes isnt setup correctly then it could be that FSX believe the brakes to always be ON even if only a tiny tiny amount. This has the side effect that many sounds and actions dependant on brakes will not work. I believe this would also affect landing sounds.

Worth a try remapping your brakes and maybe adding some deadzone to the controller?

I will give that a try. . .and thanks for "Accu-Feel", as a new user, and just using the default settings thus far, what a great addition. :salute:

gradyhappyg
January 6th, 2013, 11:25
Have you tried opening the touchdown files one at a time in the sound folder to make sure they are ok?
You can listen to them with windows media player to make sure they have not been replaced with the splashy one.
Sorry thats about all I can think of.

PRB
January 6th, 2013, 11:31
Touchdown sounds have been a source of woe for me ever since I bought my current FS computer. I had a slightly different problem. When I touched down, I would hear no sound at all, and the sim would “pause” or “halt” (freeze?) for a quarter second at the moment of touch down. Very annoying. Sometimes it seemed to make a difference if I used the default touchdown sounds in the main sound folder. Sometimes if I moved the default sound files into the plane's sound folder it seemed to help. Other times not. Both FSX and FS9 did this, on this computer, but never on my previous FS computer. It seemed to get a lot better when I bought a “bigger” graphics card, but what really made the problem go away for good was the accu-feel program. Your problem of the sim using water sounds is dam strange indeed. Never heard that one. Like gradyhappyg, I was going to suggest you actually listen to the sound files to make double-damn sure they're making the right noise, but I figured from your previous comments that you'd done that already.

falcon409
January 6th, 2013, 12:16
Thanks for all the suggestions, this is a weird one to be sure. I tried Lewis's suggestion of remapping the "brakes" (I use the trigger on the Extreme 3D Pro), and while I don't understand how that affects the sounds, it worked, lol. I ran about half a dozen airplanes through landings after landings and every one of them sounded correct now. Who knew? lol.

By the way, I also went through all the TD sounds in the sound file folder and all of them sounded correct for what they were. I'll have to assume that it's fixed for now. . . .that is until it shows up again, lol.:salute:

Lewis-A2A
January 6th, 2013, 12:26
Awesome :ernae: