PDA

View Full Version : RC airplanes......expensive to get into?

Navy Chief
January 5th, 2013, 19:47
Been thinking of possibly getting into this hobby. Electric RC planes. Suggestions for a starter aircraft and controls?

Thanks, NC

aircav1970
January 23rd, 2013, 08:52
Hi Chief,I started flying R/C several years ago and enjoy it very much and just like the FS hobby it can cost you some money once you get into it,I purchased my own radio and reciever,servos etc so now I usually buy a "bind and fly" type when I purchase a new bird.....For a good starter set-up go to HorizonHobby.com and look at the "RTF" planes that are available,these come with everything you need in one box,I can recommend the Radian RTF park flyer,it is constructed of polyfoam and if you use some clear packing tape under the belly and along the wings leading edge it is very durable.Even if you crash it hard it can be repaired with a little glue made for foam repair.I believe it comes with a Spektrum 2.4 4 channel radio which is a good unit all together in the neighborhood of $250. USD. Anyway,this will give you an idea.

Navy Chief
January 23rd, 2013, 09:35
Hi Chief,I started flying R/C several years ago and enjoy it very much and just like the FS hobby it can cost you some money once you get into it,I purchased my own radio and reciever,servos etc so now I usually buy a "bind and fly" type when I purchase a new bird.....For a good starter set-up go to HorizonHobby.com and look at the "RTF" planes that are available,these come with everything you need in one box,I can recommend the Radian RTF park flyer,it is constructed of polyfoam and if you use some clear packing tape under the belly and along the wings leading edge it is very durable.Even if you crash it hard it can be repaired with a little glue made for foam repair.I believe it comes with a Spektrum 2.4 4 channel radio which is a good unit all together in the neighborhood of $250. USD. Anyway,this will give you an idea.

Thanks! NC

OleBoy
January 23rd, 2013, 16:38
NC, suggestions are easy to give.

I'd suggest you find a club that's local to your area. Get to know those that fly there. Once you do you'll have a chance to see what others are flying. Who knows, when you get to the flying field and introduce yourself, other hobbyists will welcome you. They may even offer to let you fly their planes via buddy cord. Or they may take the plane up fairly high and just hand you the radio. Going to the field will let you see the planes and how they fly before you plop out the cash. Like mentioned, R/C is not cheap entertainment. You get out of it what you put into it. Learn from those in the hobby. The good and the bad. There's a LOT of crap on the market to steer you the wrong way.

I thought I'd share a bit of hind sight.

trucker17
June 29th, 2013, 10:26
Hi Chief.
I have been into R/C for more then 10 years....When I started, I bought my first plane, from the swap meet, the second was off of Ebay, The plane I bought from the swap meet, I gave to my neighbors son. I still fly the ebay bought trainer at times....It is still a fun aircraft to fly, and I got it at a good price, the aircraft is an ARF Cessna 172 Trainer. It was an electric plane when I first got it, Since then it has been rebuilt, repainted, repaired, and modified numerous times.....
The cost over ebay was easy on the wallet, and once I had the bird I was in the air that weekend.....
That same bird today has an electric start gas engine now, added lights, custom made wheel fenders.
Best plane for the first timer is a Styrofoam model that can easly be repaired, and can be fiberglassed at a later date....
Styrofoam is best because of the crashes you will have learning to operate it....And their will be crashes, most R/C fliers at your local flying field or your local hobby store that sell R/C planes will be able to advise you on repair or have the ability to fix it for you....

Main thing to do, is enjoy the time, and don't worry about looking foolish, we have all been their and know the frustrations that can come with it....

Navy Chief
June 29th, 2013, 12:04
Thanks Trucker,

I still haven't bought one. Now with plans to move to Costa Rica next year, that hobby will have to wait. With the terrain being so mountainous in CR where we will be living, I may have to switch to rotary wing RCs! NC

trucker17
June 29th, 2013, 16:15
Thanks Trucker,

I still haven't bought one. Now with plans to move to Costa Rica next year, that hobby will have to wait. With the terrain being so mountainous in CR where we will be living, I may have to switch to rotary wing RCs! NC

Yeah...that's true, but if you have someplace their where you have a nice area, most of us use a 1 mile radius, about a 1/2 mile in each direction....
A friend of mine flies, he lives in Guam, and flies about a 1/2 mile radius, or a quarter mile in every direction.....
The amount of area you will need depends on the size of the aircraft you are flying.....A smaller R/C = a smaller area, a large R/C = a large area for flying enjoyment.
Here we use the Baseball or football field for our flights at the city park....
What ever you choose have fun with it....Look on the net for flying clubs near where you will be moving, many will be happy to let you join in, and even help you along your way......
Here's a couple from my favorite flyer....A scratch built P-40
http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t546/trucker6217/fighters2_6b_zps48e23c0d.jpg (http://s1313.photobucket.com/user/trucker6217/media/fighters2_6b_zps48e23c0d.jpg.html)
http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t546/trucker6217/fighters2_6a_zpse5b5b00f.jpg (http://s1313.photobucket.com/user/trucker6217/media/fighters2_6a_zpse5b5b00f.jpg.html)

EasyEd
June 30th, 2013, 11:58
Hey All,

I have a Hobby Zone RTF Super Cub I got for Christmas 18 months ago. Still in the original box - hmmm need to give it a try sometime. This thread reminded me.

-Ed-

trucker17
June 30th, 2013, 18:27
Hey All,

I have a Hobby Zone RTF Super Cub I got for Christmas 18 months ago. Still in the original box - hmmm need to give it a try sometime. This thread reminded me.

-Ed-

yeah.....All R/C planes are fun....And a nice way to unwind......So get it out and assembled and in the air....

Want some fun, get yourself a fighter plane, and do like I do.....Load light bulbs under the wings, and chase the Coyotes.....
Good Target practice. :kilroy::cost1: