PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Carriers..

warchild
January 5th, 2013, 17:21
I'm hoping to find the Kitty Hawk, Oriskani, and Saratoga ( Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club ). Does anyone know if they're available??

mjrhealth
January 5th, 2013, 19:51
Google can be your friend,

http://www.fs2000.org/index.php/downloads/doc_details/13126--fsx-scenery-uss-saratoga

The other two I have never seeing

TARPSBird
January 5th, 2013, 21:45
The "Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club" gang is still lacking in FSX. No Midway or Essex class or non-nuke big decks such as Kitty Hawk and Saratoga. There is however a beautiful model of the Oriskany in work which we may see in FSX in the future...
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?70719-USS-Oriskany-SCB-27C-125A&highlight=oriskany
That would at least make the Essex class fans happy, and it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to change the flight deck and island numbers and name on the stern to get the other old decks like Hancock and Bon Homme Richard.
Team SDB has their excellent payware USS Enterprise (CVN-65) but not yet in a Vietnam-era configuration with the beehive phased-array radar on the island structure.

lazarus
January 5th, 2013, 23:41
There is a static Kittyhawk off San francisco in a scenery pack, but I'll be jiggered if I can remember which one. It was pretty rudimentary though.
I've been mucking about with Midway. Rudimentary is a generous description, and I have no idea how to get in cats and wires. Any one wants to run with it, say the word.7847878479

SkippyBing
January 6th, 2013, 03:39
It may be a bit of a wait but we're planning on doing at least one of those to go with the Phantom when we release it, so either Midway or the Kittyhawk.

FSX68
January 6th, 2013, 05:18
The "Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club" gang is still lacking in FSX. No Midway or Essex class or non-nuke big decks such as Kitty Hawk and Saratoga. There is however a beautiful model of the Oriskany in work which we may see in FSX in the future...
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?70719-USS-Oriskany-SCB-27C-125A&highlight=oriskany
That would at least make the Essex class fans happy, and it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to change the flight deck and island numbers and name on the stern to get the other old decks like Hancock and Bon Homme Richard.
Team SDB has their excellent payware USS Enterprise (CVN-65) but not yet in a Vietnam-era configuration with the beehive phased-array radar on the island structure.

Hancock and the Bonnie Dick? You betcha!!! I floated on both of 'em.

strikehawk
January 6th, 2013, 08:38
It would be nice to see the Sara and Chickenhawk moving around in FSX. The Navy just plain wore these girls out and it is unlikely that any of them will be a museum so this would be a good way of remembering them.

CP1207
January 6th, 2013, 09:09

No love for the USS America?
Have a good friend that flew SAR Helos off of her during Vietnam.
He is still ticked off about her being torpedoed.

strikehawk
January 6th, 2013, 09:30

She was give a death fitting for a warfighter, the Sara was left to rot at Quansit Point while former ship's company tried to raise funds to save her only to be told she was " unfit for preservation" and removed from the donations list. Sorry, I was one of her crew and it still p**ses me off when I think about it.

Going back to topic, it would really be nice to see the whole Forrestal class modeled as well as the angle decked Essex class boats. How many repaints for these ship's aircraft are there and look how few places they really look at home. And no one here over the age of 45 can say that they did not at least once build a Revell kit of the Essex, Hornet, Wasp or Bonnie Dick.

FSDSMAN
January 7th, 2013, 12:16
Super detailed Kitty Hawk 1979/81 - and last cruise in the build to go with a suitable aircraft in another thread as one package.

warchild
January 7th, 2013, 17:14
that would be sweet.. :)..And if they could be put on station, it would make the viet reinactment just that much more realistic..

Warhawk1130
January 8th, 2013, 03:21

Proudly served on her in 1981 in the embarked airwing (CVW-11). She was my first CV and the dearest to me heart in the 3 I served on in 10 years...I just wished you wouldn't have used that particular picture...it still hurts!

expat
January 8th, 2013, 07:51
Going back to topic, it would really be nice to see the whole Forrestal class modeled as well as the angle decked Essex class boats. How many repaints for these ship's aircraft are there and look how few places they really look at home. And no one here over the age of 45 can say that they did not at least once build a Revell kit of the Essex, Hornet, Wasp or Bonnie Dick.

All so true! Strange, as these ships should have more relatively popular appeal and instead people want to build more special interest cv's - nothing against that of course :salute: but one would expect with all the Vietnam era planes in people's hangars the 50/60s USN era cv's would have been more of a priority.

gp183601
January 8th, 2013, 12:53
There is however a beautiful model of the Oriskany in work which we may see in FSX in the future...

She's getting there slowly but surely....

I sent a beta out for test but didn't get any feedback so just continued at my own pace meantime.

I've made some changes from the sketchup model I picked up from the original thread post. I've added some texturing and changed the island structure to more closely resemble the Oriskany. Thanks to all the guys on here who sent me pictures and diagrams - you know who you are

:salute:

Skyhawk texturing still ongoing (that's the problem with sketchup....great for model creation but texturing much slower than Max).

The original sketchup model had the pennant numbers modeled into the deck/island and I haven't changed that, so at the moment you couldn't just change a texture to change to Lexington or Essex for example.....I may look into changing that.

Got the same problems as Lazarus around cables and cats....attachpoints are defined but don't work very well. I use arrcab at the moment when i'm testing the model.

I'm also not great at creating textures so not as crisp as some of the other guys like team SDB, Flying stations, RFN etc etc..

Cheers
Gary

delta_lima
January 8th, 2013, 15:00
No feedback??? Then you need a different beta crew ... :)

j/k ..

I think it looks great. Yes, RFN takes the cake on boat textures ... but I'm still thrilled at the prospect of an angled Essex. Bravo on some great work, looking forward to it - and let me know if you need any testing help.

Regards,

strikehawk
January 8th, 2013, 15:04
I'm pretty sure that Warhawk, Warchild and myself along with other members of the FSX Miramar Flight Club would be happy to beta test the Big O for you and give feedback. PM me if you are interested in a new crew.

fsafranek
January 8th, 2013, 20:28
Super detailed Kitty Hawk 1979/81 - and last cruise in the build to go with a suitable aircraft in another thread as one package.
Yep. Looking forward to it. Fully Acceleration equipped I hope?
:ernae:

lazarus
January 8th, 2013, 22:06
Looking great! Ditto here if you need beta testing. I`m like wise stymied with the cables and cats, but sooner or later, the light is bound to come on!

FSDSMAN
January 8th, 2013, 22:14
Yep. Looking forward to it. Fully Acceleration equipped I hope?
:ernae:
Should be Frank, The profile in 79 though was after a major refit so not quite the same as the Yankie Station and also the latter version changed again. Give me till the weekend then you can have a look.

warchild
January 8th, 2013, 22:23
Welll, to be honest, I couldnt expect anyone to build specifically a yankee station carrier. it would be limiting their usefulness to too small a time period. I'm just thankful for a version that is close and reflects the general period over all.. However, yeahh,, The yacht club specifically would be a dream..

TARPSBird
January 9th, 2013, 01:17
There's a lot of creativity going forward with these various carrier projects. I'm more than happy to wait patiently and see what folks come up with. :salute: It would be nice to someday be able to come aboard Coral Sea or Midway (the two ships I cruised on during Vietnam) flying a F-8, A-4 or A-1.

FSDSMAN
January 13th, 2013, 01:44

AusWilko
January 13th, 2013, 02:27
Very nice indeed :applause:

I just Gold before xmas so have been getting used to carriers after all those years ago with Janes F/A 18.

Got AICarriers and uss_nimitz_ike_version2. running, got Dino's T45 and F14v1.06 and Iris F-14A Pro, yet to put in the VRS Superbug will do that tomorrow when I'm sober LOL

forgotten how much fun this can be

Warhawk1130
January 13th, 2013, 04:56

My final tour was on the hawk from 87 to 90...nice to be able to see her sail again. Looking good!